• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I've been seeing this a lot, and it's disheartening. Share your stories, don't let people make you feel bad for being a little bit frustrated. Just remember it's a game, and to take some time off and relax. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm personally feeling pretty good about my For Glory performance. My win rate always hovers within the 70% and 80% range.

I've also recently discovered some long term health problems of mine, and they've been effecting my play. I'm notably worse because of them (friends said they even noticed), but I seem to be holding up well.

And some of my losses are due to lag, control hiccups, and overall stupidity at times, so I don't feel too bad about them.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
The few times I play For Glory I've mostly lost because I always play Jiggs and I'm against Little Macs. Its pretty hard to hit rest with the lag, and Little Mac has more priority than Jiggs (from what I can tell).

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Crouch. Jigg's crouch shuts down all of Mac's viable options except DTilt and Up/Down Smashes.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Umm some days I suck and some I don't. I mean my performance is not so much based on skill for me but on how I feel when I go on a 1v1 match. I honestly don't care about my online performance atm because it can be highly variable and inaccurate.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Let's see. For Glory frustrations. Constant rolling, lots of dash attacks followed by mashed A so you can't punish with a throw because of the lag, Bowsers going for nothing but command throws and butt slams the whole time, every fire emblem character shulk, lucario, and little mac spamming counter, people mashing air dodge and ground dodge, Bowser Jrs, Little Macs, Duck Hunts, Sonics, and to top it all off, the lag, which makes everything I've mentioned before even harder to deal with. Offline I can deal with all this stuff easily, online it's a different story. I'm a reaction based player, and I don't mash, and it's difficult to react to something when it takes almost an entire second for the game to recognize your inputs because of the lag. FG has been a generally painful experience so far. I have much more fun running sets with people I know who actually know how to play the game correctly.

It's also funny when you play a decent player in FG and you're beating them, and after about 3 matches of you winning with a decent connection they immediately switch to Little Mac or Bowser Jr. and decide to go dumb, and the previously smooth connection suddenly gets extremely laggy, at least for you.

Last edited:

lunarum

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4055-3233-5833
Yeah, for glory mode is pretty frustrating sometimes, especially when there's so many good players out there. However, I just tell myself that I'm not playing to win, I'm playing to get better at the game. Unless it's :4duckhunt:. Just screw that dog.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
The frustration makes sense. Losing sucks. I'm about 50% win/loss, so I dont have too much to complain about, but 1v1 For Glory definitely forces you to strengthen your game. I especially have trouble dealing with dash attack spammers and people who roll a lot. Which is sad because I play as Ike and Shulk who freaking live off of roll and dash punishes. I also struggle to secure kills against popular quick characters like Sheik and ZSS, which is again odd considering my mains, but is probably due to my sucky off-stage game against human players.

Last edited:

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
I've got about 60% wins.
I've found that, playing as Little Mac, I can literally do nothing against ZSS stun -> grab -> uthrow -> aerial. This causes me to go to above 50% quickly and then all they have to do is throw me offstage instead of doing uthrow. It's obnoxious and I usually quit when I see someone playing ZSS.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
I've got about 60% wins.
I've found that, playing as Little Mac, I can literally do nothing against ZSS stun -> grab -> uthrow -> aerial. This causes me to go to above 50% quickly and then all they have to do is throw me offstage instead of doing uthrow. It's obnoxious and I usually quit when I see someone playing ZSS.
As a ZSS player, THANK YOU FOR THIS! I never thought to followup stun with grab. I usually just pick Rosa vs Macs. Also...sorry about your frustrations.

Touf

Smash Rookie
NNID
PolygeminusGrex
3DS FC
2638-1302-0283
Yeah, for glory mode is pretty frustrating sometimes, especially when there's so many good players out there. However, I just tell myself that I'm not playing to win, I'm playing to get better at the game. Unless it's :4duckhunt:. Just screw that dog.
I agree with this. At first I was feeling a bit frustrated, but then I changed my mindset. Everything takes a lot of hard work and failure to get better at, once I started looking at it that way, my performance dramatically improved. It's all about just knowing each match you'll learn something that will overall contribute to you becoming a more skilled player.

Also, there are good days and bad days, you can't always expect yourself to perform your best every match. Just like every musician or artist doesn't create a masterpiece every time they attempt to create something.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
My only problem is the prevalence of certain types of characters due to the awful stage selection and occasional lag. Why they didn't have battlefield variants baffles the mind. FD is hardly a balanced stage.

SoujiroElric

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-1665-5738
Oh boy. I registered in this forum exactly to ask for advice on SSB3DS (so nice to meet you all).

Let's see... My win ratio is below 15% and my top was around 20%, so I guess I can say I do suck badly at Smash, especially For Glory. I was suggested to play using aerial combat (which I didn't do because I tend to get my controls wrong) and my most recent losses were exactly because of that - I don't time my recovery correctly and I lose the life. Moreover I tend to get overwhelmed by other fighters who tend to act and attack faster (and my character, Lucina, isn't exactly slow). And I'm pretty sure it's not just a bad day, I can't even win against the CPU at high levels (Classic Mode's Master/Crazy Hand is impossible at level 6, and I tried to beat All-Star Mode with Lucina at Normal and I lose).

It's really frustrating to lose this much. I tried to learn how to do short hops so I could do aerial attacks at low heights, and when I manage to pull it off I don't even nibble my opponent. I tried to do aerial combat only to fall off the stage. I tried to learn I shouldn't do smash attacks all the time and... well it did improve my tech, but that's about it.

Help?

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I have win about 70% of the time but there some things/people that I hate when I'm playing for glory. I almost feel it forces you to learn bad habits and people will do cheap tricks to do what ever it takes to win.

:4lucario::spams aura spheres when at really high percents.

:4littlemac:: I'm a megaman user so I don't mind little Mac's as much, but I meet atleast a little mac 3rd game and it's kind of annoys me just how many are running about in for glory. He's also the reason I think there should be are battlefield version of every stage.

:GCRT::GCR::this is what half of the people in for glory try to do. These people are the reason I think they force u to learn bad habits just to out play/beat them.

:4myfriends::4lucina::4marth:: then u run into these guys and the only move they know is counter. I'm guessing the only reason y we even see these guys is for little mac users.

Over all I don't like for glory and how everyone try to do cheap tricks just to win games. I rather join a Skype group who is full of competitive players and only fight them.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
I've always sucked on FD. Rip me :[

Sakurai add in Battlefield already. FD is so unbalanced of a stage (for a legal stage that is). Ugh...

Also a lot of times I get hand cramps/sweat that I don't get with a GCN controller. Can't wait to get to use that again. And side b-ing when I mean to up b sucks...

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
:4darkpit: - ELECTRO PHOK
:4ness: - PEEKAY FYAH
:4littlemac: - ENCOUNTER RATE 87%....CHANCES OF ENTERTAINING MATCH 13%
:4lucario: - GRAAAAAAAAAAGH - POOO!!(AURA SPHERE SPAM)
:4sheik: - broken
:4pit: - ARROW,ARROW,ARROW,ARROW,ARROW,SIDE SPECIAL,SIDE SPECIAL,FORWARD SMASH!!
:4olimar: - doesn't exist
:4charizard: - Flare Blitz
:4lucina: - Countah
:rosalina: - Like Sheik if you have loads of wins with these guys you shouldn't feel that proud mang. Jus sayin.
:4robinm: - FIRE SPAMMUH, THORON!!, -rolls back and forth- FORWARD SMASH "time totip the scale"
:4zss: - Grab grab grab stun gun.
:4link: - HUH SYAAAAA TAAAAHYAAAH!! (arrow,boomorung and other spammy stuff
:4pikachu: - Spamachu
:4greninja: - Good character overall annoying as hell
:4yoshi: - You monster

My online sessions in a nut shell.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
:rosalina: - Like Sheik if you have loads of wins with these guys you shouldn't feel that proud mang. Jus sayin.
But I like Rosa, and I don't get loads of wins with her. I don't think she's as OP as everyone thinks. Rushdown characters (Yoshi, Bowser, Mac, Sonic, Greninja) are a pain with her. I'm proud of all my wins #BibleThump
I keep wondering how other ZSS players land her grab so much. I can rarely land a grab because everyone's too busy rolling around the stage the entire time. It's rare that I do land a grab with ZSS.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
Oh boy. I registered in this forum exactly to ask for advice on SSB3DS (so nice to meet you all).

Let's see... My win ratio is below 15% and my top was around 20%, so I guess I can say I do suck badly at Smash, especially For Glory. I was suggested to play using aerial combat (which I didn't do because I tend to get my controls wrong) and my most recent losses were exactly because of that - I don't time my recovery correctly and I lose the life. Moreover I tend to get overwhelmed by other fighters who tend to act and attack faster (and my character, Lucina, isn't exactly slow). And I'm pretty sure it's not just a bad day, I can't even win against the CPU at high levels (Classic Mode's Master/Crazy Hand is impossible at level 6, and I tried to beat All-Star Mode with Lucina at Normal and I lose).

It's really frustrating to lose this much. I tried to learn how to do short hops so I could do aerial attacks at low heights, and when I manage to pull it off I don't even nibble my opponent. I tried to do aerial combat only to fall off the stage. I tried to learn I shouldn't do smash attacks all the time and... well it did improve my tech, but that's about it.

Help?
So here's the deal. When people tell you to try a new tactic (just as short hopping or aerials) they're generally right and doing it will improve your play. However, you won't get better just by applying the tactics. You have to learn when and how to incorperate them into your play. Someone can tell you how to do this, but unfortunately, you'll still have to learn it.

And the quickest way to do that is by trying it and losing. Over and over and over again.

It seems like Smash 4 is your first smash game, or you didn't play a lot of brawl/melee/64. Most of the people you'll be going against online have likely casually played the game, and maybe even semi-seriously (though likely not competitively. The vast majority of people on For Glory aren't tournamentgoers). They have a good grasp on controls and fundamentals, and they have enough feel for the game to react to situations and approach. They either know what moves are good to use when, or they know what to look for so that they can learn quicker.

That's totally fine, and it's not like you can never catch up. Smash isn't like Counterstrike, where in order to get even halfway decent you have to lose over and over and over again without ever scoring a kill. The basics are very learnable, but it still takes a bit of time.

For now, play against bots or friends, and understand that you're not going to be as good as everyone else. For Glory is more geared towards people who have a solid grasp on the game, and you can totally get there within like, a week? Maybe two, depending on how much you play.

And even then you'll lose. And that's fine! I've played since Melee and I'm still only all right. Don't aim to be the best. Aim to be better.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I've got about 60% wins.
If you counter the aerial enough, they'll stop going for it most likely. To avoid it entirely, just shield the lazors, or stand just outside of their range. If they aren't near the ledge you can use the good 'ol Jolt.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Where do I ****ing start yeesh.
I haven't had a single good match against :4bowserjr::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4tlink::4link::4lucario::4pikachu: :4littlemac:not to mention how every game is laggy even with my good connection.
:4tlink::4link: Have made me nearly break my ds because in lag they are literally untouchable
:4bowserjr:Spam cannonball and car because invincible in lag
:4duckhunt:Self explanitory
:4darkpit:Side B all day long

In all I think i have become a worse player due to for glory because I'm on the brink of insanity. Thanks nintendo! Also, somehow between losing to random things I keep a 50% win rate somehow.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice

Help?
Don't be disheartened! With every loss comes a step closer to victory. Don't beat yourself up for losing in Classic/All-star. It's really hard to beat them unless you have equipment.

For fighting people online, I'd argue the three most important things are mind games, edgegaurding, and spacing. You can practice short hop fairs with Lucina all you want, but until you know when to actually use them you won't win. Online I find there to be three kinds of players: (1) those who roll around and spam projectiles, (2) those who roll and approach with only dash attack, and (3) those who are actually good.

For the people who spam projectiles, swat them away with Lucinas fair. If you notice that they charge in with a move after their projectiles hit, a good idea would be to use Lucina's counter to nullify the projectile and their approach. For the people who approach with dash attack, just shield whenever you feel like they're gonna bust it out. Then shield grab them and toss them off stage. If you find them rolling from one end of the stage to another, literally just down smash while they're attempting to escape and you should stop they're scrub tactics.

For people who are actually good, you'll have to implement mind games, spacing, and edgegaurding.

For mind games, let's say you notice your opponent is approaching with aerials, so you up-tilt them to punish their approach. They notice they keep getting shut down in the air by your up-tilt, so now they're going to mix it up. Instead of coming at you with an aerial, they're going to approach you with an air dodge to evade your up-tilt and punish. If you're a step ahead of your opponent, you know that they want to mix up their approach to avoid your up-tilt. So instead of up-tilting you choose to do nothing, they air dodge and hit the ground with a lot of lag, and you can punish however you see fit.

Spacing is extremely important in this game if you want to avoid getting shield grabbed. Basically you want to hit your opponent with the tip of your hitbox. Spacing is dancing outside of your opponent's range fast enough so you can get him in range for your attacks. Memorize the range of your character's moves so you'll know when to use them based on how far your opponent is from you.

For edgegaurding, I'm not sure what options Lucina has as I don't play her, but I'd go to her thread and ask people who know what they're talking about. Edgegaurding is very character dependent, so learn the recovery options of each character.

Sorry if this is a lot of info, but honestly the best advice is just to practice. The more you play, the better you get. Also watch videos of high level players use your character, it'll give you a lot of insight. Hope this helps, man! Good luck on the road for glory.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
:4pit: - ARROW,ARROW,ARROW,ARROW,ARROW,SIDE SPECIAL,SIDE SPECIAL,FORWARD SMASH!!
:4robinm: - FIRE SPAMMUH, THORON!!, -rolls back and forth- FORWARD SMASH "time totip the scale"

I understand that this is all annoying. But **** dude, every videogame has that cheese that you lose against the first time you encounter it. 6 pools, Sheik Needles, "HADOUKEN HADOUKEN, SHORYUKEN" and noobtubes. Don't think of them as an OP strat that you can never beat, or 50-50 RNG wins because they aren't. Otherwise you would see them in tournaments. They're a skill bottleneck. They're a 'you can't progress until you learn to beat this'. And it's VERY beatable. It's just annoying at first.

I just discovered Ness PK Thunder spam. It was terrifying. I'd never gone up against it. I just got up-b'd into up-b'd into up-b'd and it juggled me so hard, and when I finally hit the ground he boosted himself into me and I died. I could hardly get close.

I played him over and over again and it was so frustrating. I just had to quit. But then I watched some online matches and some streams, and learned how to predict Ness's movements better. Now I can beat it. Yeah, it was terrible, but it's a part of the game, and it's REALLY satisfying when you learn to consistently beat it.

It's like, if someone were to run into you without shielding or defending themselves. And they do it over and over again, you're just gonna whack him. Over and over again. You might mix it up a bit for fun, but you're not going to not punish him. That's what's happening here. They're seeing you make the same mistake over and over again, and why would they not punish you for it?

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
If you counter the aerial enough, they'll stop going for it most likely. To avoid it entirely, just shield the lazors, or stand just outside of their range. If they aren't near the ledge you can use the good 'ol Jolt.
Just saying, you can't use your counter during a combo. ZSS can true combo into her aerials. I don't see anything wrong with it though, Mac's got it easy as it is. Timing combos is much harder because the lag definitely hurts characters like ZSS more than it does ones like Mac or Ike.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

You seriously have a problem with characters like Sheik, Link, Pikachu and Charizard? Some of those I can understand but characters like Sheik, Rosalina and ZSS aren't instant wins. I think you're just being outplayed man.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I understand that this is all annoying. But **** dude, every videogame has that cheese that you lose against the first time you encounter it. 6 pools, Sheik Needles, "HADOUKEN HADOUKEN, SHORYUKEN" and noobtubes. Don't think of them as an OP strat that you can never beat, or 50-50 RNG wins because they aren't. Otherwise you would see them in tournaments. They're a skill bottleneck. They're a 'you can't progress until you learn to beat this'. And it's VERY beatable. It's just annoying at first.
Bruh you acting like im mainly going on about her neutral special, its the whole package man she's clearly a cut above the rest. Don't need advice man i've probably played more fighting games than you including the very bad ones that rely on heavy and i mean heavy spam(Naruto storm).

I just discovered Ness PK Thunder spam. It was terrifying. I'd never gone up against it. I just got up-b'd into up-b'd into up-b'd and it juggled me so hard, and when I finally hit the ground he boosted himself into me and I died. I could hardly get close.
Never happened to me...

I played him over and over again and it was so frustrating. I just had to quit. But then I watched some online matches and some streams, and learned how to predict Ness's movements better. Now I can beat it. Yeah, it was terrible, but it's a part of the game, and it's REALLY satisfying when you learn to consistently beat it.
That must have felt good.

It's like, if someone were to run into you without shielding or defending themselves. And they do it over and over again, you're just gonna whack him. Over and over again. You might mix it up a bit for fun, but you're not going to not punish him. That's what's happening here. They're seeing you make the same mistake over and over again, and why would they not punish you for it?
I have no idea why this post is aimed at me as i never stated that i struggle against the spam, i just listed what i encounter in an online session i do when playing. Everything you told me i already know and done.

You seriously have a problem with characters like Sheik, Link, Pikachu and Charizard? Some of those I can understand but characters like Sheik, Rosalina and ZSS aren't instant wins. I think you're just being outplayed man.
Reading comprehension is high with this one.

Last edited:

SoujiroElric

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-1665-5738
So here's the deal. When people tell you to try a new tactic (just as short hopping or aerials) they're generally right and doing it will improve your play. However, you won't get better just by applying the tactics. You have to learn when and how to incorperate them into your play. Someone can tell you how to do this, but unfortunately, you'll still have to learn it.

And the quickest way to do that is by trying it and losing. Over and over and over again.

It seems like Smash 4 is your first smash game, or you didn't play a lot of brawl/melee/64. Most of the people you'll be going against online have likely casually played the game, and maybe even semi-seriously (though likely not competitively. The vast majority of people on For Glory aren't tournamentgoers). They have a good grasp on controls and fundamentals, and they have enough feel for the game to react to situations and approach. They either know what moves are good to use when, or they know what to look for so that they can learn quicker.

That's totally fine, and it's not like you can never catch up. Smash isn't like Counterstrike, where in order to get even halfway decent you have to lose over and over and over again without ever scoring a kill. The basics are very learnable, but it still takes a bit of time.

For now, play against bots or friends, and understand that you're not going to be as good as everyone else. For Glory is more geared towards people who have a solid grasp on the game, and you can totally get there within like, a week? Maybe two, depending on how much you play.

And even then you'll lose. And that's fine! I've played since Melee and I'm still only all right. Don't aim to be the best. Aim to be better.
That's correct Sm4sh is my first smash game ever, and I used to play mostly casually when I went, say, to meet a friend or something. You suggest me to play against bots, and I've read cpu gives really bad habits. And with friends, well, I must get their disposition first, but yeah, I should ask them to play more often. What if all I have is For Glory to practice? It's really disheartening to constantly lose and apparently I don't have that solid grasp most players have.

Don't be disheartened! With every loss comes a step closer to victory. Don't beat yourself up for losing in Classic/All-star. It's really hard to beat them unless you have equipment.

For fighting people online, I'd argue the three most important things are mind games, edgegaurding, and spacing. You can practice short hop fairs with Lucina all you want, but until you know when to actually use them you won't win. Online I find there to be three kinds of players: (1) those who roll around and spam projectiles, (2) those who roll and approach with only dash attack, and (3) those who are actually good.

For the people who spam projectiles, swat them away with Lucinas fair. If you notice that they charge in with a move after their projectiles hit, a good idea would be to use Lucina's counter to nullify the projectile and their approach. For the people who approach with dash attack, just shield whenever you feel like they're gonna bust it out. Then shield grab them and toss them off stage. If you find them rolling from one end of the stage to another, literally just down smash while they're attempting to escape and you should stop they're scrub tactics.

For people who are actually good, you'll have to implement mind games, spacing, and edgegaurding.

For mind games, let's say you notice your opponent is approaching with aerials, so you up-tilt them to punish their approach. They notice they keep getting shut down in the air by your up-tilt, so now they're going to mix it up. Instead of coming at you with an aerial, they're going to approach you with an air dodge to evade your up-tilt and punish. If you're a step ahead of your opponent, you know that they want to mix up their approach to avoid your up-tilt. So instead of up-tilting you choose to do nothing, they air dodge and hit the ground with a lot of lag, and you can punish however you see fit.

Spacing is extremely important in this game if you want to avoid getting shield grabbed. Basically you want to hit your opponent with the tip of your hitbox. Spacing is dancing outside of your opponent's range fast enough so you can get him in range for your attacks. Memorize the range of your character's moves so you'll know when to use them based on how far your opponent is from you.

For edgegaurding, I'm not sure what options Lucina has as I don't play her, but I'd go to her thread and ask people who know what they're talking about. Edgegaurding is very character dependent, so learn the recovery options of each character.

Sorry if this is a lot of info, but honestly the best advice is just to practice. The more you play, the better you get. Also watch videos of high level players use your character, it'll give you a lot of insight. Hope this helps, man! Good luck on the road for glory.
Luckity I've learned all the lingo, so I (mostly) understand all of this. I'd have to see what edgeguarding techniques Lucina has, apparently I don't know how to do that. Other than that thank you for the tips: fair for projectile spammers and counter if they attack after firing; dashers should be done with using dsmash or shield grab them; good players should be predicted using proper mind games. Plus I must learn my range and to edgeguard. Thank you!

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Just saying, you can't use your counter during a combo. ZSS can true combo into her aerials. I don't see anything wrong with it though, Mac's got it easy as it is. Timing combos is much harder because the lag definitely hurts characters like ZSS more than it does ones like Mac or Ike.
What are you on about? I play against ZSS all the time, and yes, you can. It's only impossible when you're at absurdly low percentage.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
:4tlink::4link: Have made me nearly break my ds because in lag they are literally untouchable
Ah yes, these two. Toon Link is especially problematic because of his mobility and Link is still bad. To be honest the stage-format is partly to blame for my struggles with these characters; it's much easier to move around projectiles when you have platforms to hop onto and drop down from. Also helps to make your approach less predictable and let's face it, the Links get a lot of time to react to your advance. When all I have is a long, flat stage, all I can seem to do is dash-shield or pick Jigglypuff/Kirby and play the weave game.

I see you main Charizard. I played a Toon Link player in tourney today as Charizard (and one match of our set was on Final Destination). I have no idea if this will help (or if I even know how to play as Charizard at all lol) but I'll share my minor experience with the matchup. I found that jabs helped a lot because of their speed. Dash attacks are good at catching him when you invade his space and he tries run away to regain control. Flare Blitz is alright, if you use it sparingly but still often enough it's pretty easy to incite fear into the TLink player's head. Then start mixing up with punishes with dash grabs, aerials and the like to make him think you're not a mindless Flare Blitz spammer and eventually you'll find opportunities where he has no idea it's coming. Flamethrower is a decent way to hit him after jumping over an arrow/bomb/whatever.

All that said, your main complaint was the lag and that can't be helped. Hell I agree with you. Campers are much harder to deal with when you can't input stuff precisely. RIP everyone who doesn't camp + spam.

It's genuinely depressing that this is 100% true for me.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I have a rare moment in Smash I'd like to share: I KO'd a Villager in Smash today, and the first thing he decided to do when he respawned was to celebrate my success. He was sidestepping in place and doing the Villager happy taunt, so I decided to join him in the Sidestep/Taunt party. I decided that we should also add crouching and shielding into the mix. We both just stood in one place and decided to crouch and shield. Finally, we jumped and dashed left to right as our final celebration dance before continuing the fight. It was pretty cool.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
What are you on about? I play against ZSS all the time, and yes, you can. It's only impossible when you're at absurdly low percentage.
Any time you are in hitstun you can't use your counter move. ZSS can true combo little mac from dthrow until a percentage such that she can finish you off with the up b, connecting on that as a true combo as well. You clearly haven't been playing good ones.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
You were clearly complaining about those characters play styles bud. Just learn to deal with it.
As i said high reading comprehension, i clearly stated at the end "my smash sessions in a nutshell" the list was about what i encounter when i go online nothing to do with how much i struggle against them or how i apparently get bodied/outplayed.

Maybe i should spell it out for you like i do with my nephew. Keep those assumptions out of my sight cause its making an ASS out of U more than ME.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
As i said high reading comprehension, i clearly stated at the end "my smash sessions in a nutshell" the list was about what i encounter when i go online nothing to do with how much i struggle against them or how i apparently get bodied/outplayed.

Maybe i should spell it out for you like i do with my nephew.
I think the problem here is the inability to articulate your thoughts. As well as an inability to post in the right threads if what you are saying is actually true and not backpedaling. Nice ad hom by the way.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
That's correct Sm4sh is my first smash game ever, and I used to play mostly casually when I went, say, to meet a friend or something. You suggest me to play against bots, and I've read cpu gives really bad habits. And with friends, well, I must get their disposition first, but yeah, I should ask them to play more often. What if all I have is For Glory to practice? It's really disheartening to constantly lose and apparently I don't have that solid grasp most players have.

Luckity I've learned all the lingo, so I (mostly) understand all of this. I'd have to see what edgeguarding techniques Lucina has, apparently I don't know how to do that. Other than that thank you for the tips: fair for projectile spammers and counter if they attack after firing; dashers should be done with using dsmash or shield grab them; good players should be predicted using proper mind games. Plus I must learn my range and to edgeguard. Thank you!
About the bad habit CPU thing. The problem with fighting against a CPU is that it's hard to learn how to tech chase and juggle properly because their DI/Vectoring and recovery isn't strategic or humanlike, making it far easier to do than against a human.

Did that make sense? Like, can you follow along and know exactly where the issues in the CPU lie vs a player? If not, you really can't develop bad habits, because you don't know what the bad habits pertain to.

These are basic mechanics of advanced play, but if you're not in the advanced stage yet then you shouldn't be trying to develop these skills.

EVERYONE started by playing against bots to at least some degree. The bad habits aren't crippling, and they won't even develop until you understand where they lie. It's fine to play against bots. Just don't get too used to all of the followups you can do. You'll be relearning those when you play against real players. For now, just get a grasp of the game's movements and controls, then get comfortable with online play.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I've found that saving replays of painful losses and analyzing them later (DON'T MASH A AFTER A SALTY LOSS!) helps a lot. Most of my frustrations with this game is lag screwing up my punishes, but watching replays helps my neutral game and helps me keep in mind what situations the lag can make things risky.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I think the problem here is the inability to articulate your thoughts. As well as an inability to post in the right threads if what you are saying is actually true and not backpedaling. Nice ad hom by the way.
Problem here is that you thought your meaning was 100% right instead of actually stopping and thinking before pressing the 'Post reply' button. You can continue to blame me due to my 'inability to articulate my thoughts' when its you just plain not reading properly and well making assumptions.

Get off my block with your assumptions.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Problem here is that you thought your meaning was 100% right instead of actually stopping and thinking before pressing the 'Post reply' button. You can continue to blame me due to my 'inability to articulate my thoughts' when its you just plain not reading properly and well making assumptions.
Oh the irony in this post. I'm not even gracing this with a real reply.

Top Bottom