• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
ive been having really good competitive fights with this game i cant understand what everyones beef is about it
I've seen some very competitive Candy Land matches as well. It says nothing about its competitive merit in the tournament scene.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Does anyone actually like the Ninja Turtles?

I'm suprised Sega didn't jump at a chance to make a Sonic version, that would become the wort wii game ever.

That's a silly question, there's a great amount of TMNT fans in this thread, also the Turtle Dojo is there as well, and that's full of them... and I'm a member there as well.

Also, Sega won't know until they tried, Puyo Puyo characters can be made for great fighting characters. =P

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Does anyone actually like the Ninja Turtles?
*looks through the 57 pages of this topic*
Nope. No one likes the Turtles *facepalm*

I'm suprised Sega didn't jump at a chance to make a Sonic version, that would become the wort wii game ever.
A Sonic version of what? A TMNT game or a fighting game? Cause Sega made two decent Sonic fighting games. =/

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
So is there any reason for me to buy this if I already have Brawl?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I went ahead and bought the game. It's alright, I guess. I've only played a couple of wi-fi matches, but so far the online doesn't seem to be any better than Brawl's. That's disappointing, because I remember one of the developers saying early on that this game would have better online than Brawl. I still find myself waiting in the training room for a year to connect to an opponent, which was my biggest gripe with Brawl's online.

All of the characters seem to be more or less the same. I don't feel very motivated to go and unlock everybody, because I feel like they're all going to play pretty much like the characters I already have. I'm sure that I will unlock everyone eventually, but it's not like in Brawl or Melee where I couldn't wait to unlock everyone and try them all out.

Also, the stage hazards in this game are ridiculous. There are way too many instant kills.

nessqk

Smash Journeyman
Yay Ok Finally Got Ninja Rabbid Ummmm Well Right Im Practicing Just Wanted To Give Yal The Codes For Him And The Underground Stage Go To The Bonus Content Screen Go In And Put Theses Codes Til You Hear A Noise Up,up,down,down,down,right,up,left,right,left And Thats It Happy Rabbid Hunting Lol

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I tried to rent it last night. No dice. I'll try again next weekend. I want to end my "ignorance" once and for all.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I'm not familiar with the modern version of the Ninja Turtles, I'm more familiar with the late 80s/early 90s cartoon Turtles. Can someone tell me why Krang is called Ultramadon now? And are Beebop and Rocksteady in the game?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not familiar with the modern version of the Ninja Turtles, I'm more familiar with the late 80s/early 90s cartoon Turtles. Can someone tell me why Krang is called Ultramadon now? And are Beebop and Rocksteady in the game?
Krang is based off the Utroms of the TMNT universe.

The utroms (I don't know how to spell it) were in the original comic and were an alien species that looked like brains. They rode around in robot power suits, which is were they came up with the idea of Krang riding in one.

The Utrominator is an evil utrom in a power suit, not actually krang - but close enough I guess.

Bebop and Rocksteady are not in the game....

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
How different do all of the characters play from each other?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Modern?

Minus Nightwatcher and the Ultrominator, the characters been around for TWENTY YEARS

darkNES386

Smash Lord
That's because the defensive options on this game don't even work. The rolls are pathetic.
You must have defense as well as offense in a game. TMNT doesn't.
Defense killed Brawl. This game punishes anyone who tries to spam spot/air dodges or rolls. Defense should be about rewarding smart choices (dodging an anticipated attack), not spamming until a massive opening is created.

You do not suck if you get grabbed. Grabs have good range, high priority and you can't defend against them. You can't roll away. You can't spot dodge. You just get grabbed. All of the good gamers that I know that have played this have come to the same conclusions I have. Grabbing is stupid good. The controls are sticky and a little slow. The cast is too small and the gameplay too shallow.
Yes, getting grabbed is inevitable.
-Grabs can be broken out of with proper timing
-They deal lots of damage
-They have massive cool down when missed
-I have never been grabbed out of the air (I don't know if it's possible)

Yes, it's frustrating for smash players who want to roll out of the get up.

Brawl and Melee both received basically perfect scores across the board.

TMNT didn't come close.
Tmnt doesn't have the absurd number of unlockables as Brawl. Furthermore, melee was only the second game of it's time and it made huge strides. Tmnt is the ugly cousin who doesn't belong in Soul Caliber and doesn't belong in the smash series. That doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to be a great game.

I went ahead and bought the game. It's alright, I guess. I've only played a couple of wi-fi matches, but so far the online doesn't seem to be any better than Brawl's. That's disappointing, because I remember one of the developers saying early on that this game would have better online than Brawl. I still find myself waiting in the training room for a year to connect to an opponent, which was my biggest gripe with Brawl's online.
They have a swap out mode, that's awesome! You can play with 2 or 3 others (or more, but I wouldn't due to latency) and when you aren't playing you're spectating without the hassle of having to suicide yourself. As long as the host doesn't leave, people can drop out and others can jump in line.

Input lag of any kind is inevitable with online play. Yes, this makes breaking out of grabs much more difficult, but the most competitive play is going to be offline so this isn't an issue. Brawl has online skills that don't transfer offline. A grab spammer in TMNT will be in for a rude awakening if he ever goes to a live TMNT tournament.

All of the characters seem to be more or less the same. I don't feel very motivated to go and unlock everybody, because I feel like they're all going to play pretty much like the characters I already have. I'm sure that I will unlock everyone eventually, but it's not like in Brawl or Melee where I couldn't wait to unlock everyone and try them all out.
They don't play the same at all. Each character requires a good knowledge of what attack actually deal damage and connect well together. If you don't understand the combo system in this game you're screwed. http://www.turtledojo.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=425

Also, the stage hazards in this game are ridiculous. There are way too many instant kills.
Yes, there are lots of absurd stage hazards... losing a whole life is terrible in this game. However, there are still a good number of stages that can be legitimate for tournaments.

I tried to rent it last night. No dice. I'll try again next weekend. I want to end my "ignorance" once and for all.
:)

How different do all of the characters play from each other?
Read above. It's important to know which attacks deal the most damage so you can make the most of your combos.

Overall comments impression:
-Gimping is more unheard of than in Brawl
-You won't see any 0->death combos
-It's floaty like Brawl
-Minimal AT techniques including cancel all lag on fast falls, forward smashing out of run and i'm currently looking into a possible short hop option)
-Stock take longer to eliminate
-This game seems to improve on my biggest issue with Brawl: Too Defensive.

Read this to understand how the combo system works: http://www.turtledojo.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=425

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Defense killed Brawl. This game punishes anyone who tries to spam spot/air dodges or rolls. Defense should be about rewarding smart choices (dodging an anticipated attack), not spamming until a massive opening is created.
It killed Brawl, really?
Wow, I guess all these tournaments didn't happen.
I guess SNES didn't happen.
I guess Winterfest isn't going to happen.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
It killed Brawl, really?
Wow, I guess all these tournaments didn't happen.
I guess SNES didn't happen.
I guess Winterfest isn't going to happen.
I love your logic. Maybe "killed" is a little harsh, but the fact remains that some were turned off by the play style that Brawl demands. Let's just say that the attempts to fix gimping/improve the recovery rate compared to melee was what a lot of people had beef about.

I have played many enjoyable hours of Brawl.

Go watch m2k vs Ally finals and then go watch any melee match.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q2DdBNajvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQB55d-Tdw

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I love your logic. Maybe "killed" is a little harsh, but the fact remains that some were turned off by the play style that Brawl demands. Let's just say that the attempts to fix gimping/improve the recovery rate compared to melee was what a lot of people had beef about.

Here:
LOLOLOL.
Go watch Mango vs Mew2King Revival of Melee grand finals
Go watch Pink Shinobi
Go watch any fox vs falco on poke floats
Go watch Evo
camping happens in every game.
There are some turned off by Melee as well, so I should say that the tech skill in Melee 'kills' it. Get camped *****.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Here:
They allow hacked character colors in matches?

I know it doesn't really effect anything, but it's still interesting to find out...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Those are replays with textures applied to them.

LOLOLOL.
Go watch Mango vs Mew2King Revival of Melee grand finals
Go watch Pink Shinobi
Go watch any fox vs falco on poke floats
Go watch Evo
camping happens in every game.
Camping does happen in some form in every fighting game. It's sometimes called turtling.

What he's implying is that Brawl lacks the fast paced action, 0 to death, or 0 to heavy damage combos and offensive options that are present in other fighters in order to balance out the camping/turtling.

Once you play other fighters, you'll realize that Brawl has spoiled you when it comes to defense and I think it has skewed your view on this. Case in point, the almost no risk air dodges, the auto-sweet-spot ledges, and
the near abscence of hitstun, making it easier than it should be to escape.

There are some turned off by Melee as well, so I should say that the tech skill in Melee 'kills' it. Get camped *****.
That's not a good reason. There's even more tech skill in most other fighting games than what Melee offers.

Anyway, why are people ripping on TMNT: Smash Up again?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Once you play other fighters, you'll realize that Brawl has spoiled you when it comes to defense and I think it has skewed your view on this. Case in point, the almost no risk air dodges, the auto-sweet-spot ledges, and
the near abscence of hitstun, making it easier than it should be to escape.
Yeah no. I play Guilty Gear. I think its the other way around, you've been spoiled by Offensive options and a lack of defensive options. Brawl's defensive options don't even come close to the amount of options in Guilty Gear., yet Guilty Gear is by far one of the most balanced and well made fighting games out there.
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/fail-safes-in-competitive-game-design-a-detailed-example.html
And since he wrote this article MORE options were added to defense.
Defense is just as valuable as offense options, regardless of how exciting offense options might seem to the viewer.

That's not a good reason. There's even more tech skill in most other fighting games than what Melee offers.
Guilty Gear offers more options on defense.

Anyway, why are people ripping on TMNT: Smash Up again?
Poor defensive options.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yeah no. I play Guilty Gear. I think its the other way around, you've been spoiled by Offensive options and a lack of defensive options. Brawl's defensive options don't even come close to the amount of options in Guilty Gear., yet Guilty Gear is by far one of the most balanced and well made fighting games out there.
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/fail-safes-in-competitive-game-design-a-detailed-example.html
And since he wrote this article MORE options were added to defense.
Defense is just as valuable as offense options, regardless of how exciting offense options might seem to the viewer.

Guilty Gear offers more options on defense.
IIRC, those defensive abilities were added to balance out the characters' unique offensive ablities that can be seen as unfair and what not. The roster was probably designed by different designers.
Also, GG also has plenty of offensive options to balance the defensive options.

Poor defensive options.
OK. I though it was because of the roster.

Anyway, I think the reason that the 80's TMNT cartoon is basically ignored is because the cartoon took a LOT of liberties with the secrets, plots, story, and characters from the original comic to the extreme that it is considered non-canon. The sad truth is that the 4kids cartoon is a more faithful adaptation than the 80's cartoon.

Oh, well, it has nostalgic value, and all of Konami's TMNT games made before 2003 are based off the cartoon.

Would have been nice to include Bebop, Krang, and Rocksteady as hidden characters, but I wonder what they would look like with the darker theme of the comics. Sigh.....

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Speaking of TMNT 80's...

Does anyone happen to know what happened to the next wave of 25th anniversary figures by playmates...

I was so looking forward to getting a slash figure

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
ok dont flame me if this is already posted in one of the 58 pages of this thread, but...

the code for
Ninja Rabbid and the Underground stage
is the following:

Up ,Up ,Down ,Down ,Down ,Right ,Up ,Left ,Right ,Left

enter on the bonus content screen. you'll hear a sound if you did it right.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hahaha.

Smash devs just don't give a **** it seems.

Sometimes I really do think about getting back into smash and then stuff like happens where devs get a chance to make a GOOD game and they just phone it in for the big bucks.

Makes me appreciate Capcom all the more.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
So I'll play this game if there is going to be a big enough scene for there to be chances of making $$$

Any assessment based on that criteria?

Also mods please infract Melee v Brawl discussions >_>

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, how is this game, guys? I've read through most of this thread. The better part of it was in anticipation of, and then when it dropped, some good impressions, but I've read a few reviews that seem to universally complain about the point system or something like that. Like in a stock match you may not actually be declared victor even if the match ended with you having more stock than the opponent kinda thing. I've had one member out right tell me this game sucks. I want to give it a chance though, but I also don't want to be severely disappointed like I was with Castlevania: Judgement (oh the horror, and not in a good way).

So yeah, rental first? How's the online play (why I'd get it at all)?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
News: Mirage studios has sold ALL intellectual TMNT property to nickelodeon.

Owa5489

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone. I just got the 1989 TMNT Soundtrack.. and it almost brought tears to my eyes of how Nostalgically Epic some songs were.

Which, of course, lead me to think - has Tmnt Smash Up been hacked yet? I'd imagine it would be VERY similar to Brawl.. if not exact. I'd imagine I could use the SD Card method to replace brstms in this game too. I swear I could make the game 1000x better if I just had that little bit of control over the music.

Now I understand it is nowhere near as popular as Brawl, so maybe people just haven't bothered. But, does anyone know if there is any info on doing such a thing?

Dueling to Partners In Kryme's Turtle Power on my Wii is just something I can't live my life without now that I've thought about it.

I made a thread about this, but it got locked, and I was told it may have been answered here (which it hasn't). If anyone can give me any info that'd be great.

Top Bottom