• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TLGD: Zange-chan Social- Toon Goons for Life

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bomberman has 100% blast resistance. When Bomber is playing Bomberman, that resistance goes up to 1000%. Get at me.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Matter fact after watching Kingtoon/Hyro and playing PJ back at Whobo, I think you guys are underating this character and not playing him to the max. He has one of the best zoning games, and a fast nimple body along with quick aerials, and setups to kill moves. Theres no reason why a TL can't win a national, even with MK.

I guess until a top player switches or one of you rise up, only will we see him do work. TL is at least borderline viable for winning big events.

:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bombs will be the breakthrough. I'm very confident about that. I just need to work on perfecting my style and bettering myself as a player.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Matter fact after watching Kingtoon/Hyro and playing PJ back at Whobo, I think you guys are underating this character and not playing him to the max. He has one of the best zoning games, and a fast nimple body along with quick aerials, and setups to kill moves. Theres no reason why a TL can't win a national, even with MK.

I guess until a top player switches or one of you rise up, only will we see him do work. TL is at least borderline viable for winning big events.

I think you underestimate the metaknight vs. tink MU. Its just ***. And to somehow keep the lead on MK and beat him 2 out of 3 times each set for a dozen or so MKs that come your way during a national would be...... Astronomically difficult.

[collapse="Sethlon's Version of the Tier List"]High
Could still win...Tier: :zerosuitsamus: :lucario: :dedede: :toonlink:[/collapse]We know that a ZSS won. Perhaps a Toon Link winning isn't far-fetched at all.

Actually who am I kidding? It's hopeless, TL sucks. We will never win a national ever in the history of existence. Not even in a million years.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
gadiel it's good that you feel special and happy and dandy and whatnot. now name me a TL who has ever beaten a top MK ever
Chip beat Jem way back in the day. Kingtoon took a game off Nairo recently. MJG has beaten Holy, but TL has always done "ok" vs MK. I can't say that there has been a player at least equal to the level of a top MK player. If that was the case than I would say TL has a chance, but I don't think there has been one top level player using TL ever. Just really high level players. Except Gnes/Lee Martin, but they don't main this character. And also Hyuga; I think he's really really close to top level if he isn't already, but I think he needs to be proven once he comes to the states this year.

archer.

Smash Lord
I believe that when MJG beat Holy it was in the MK ditto, and he lost the set he played TL, though I don't know if they've played any more than those two sets at that one Canadian tournament (I forgot the name).

NH Cody

Smash Champion
taking games won't make you win an MK legal national.

what archer said. none of us can beat bc with toon link, let alone m2k/otori/rain/nairo/whoever else would be at a national.

there is no hope or redemption in life when mk is legal.

My point (and I think Gadiel's point) is that we have to stop being pessimists about TL and actually put in work. Mew2King showed us that confidence and a positive attitude can go a long way.

Gadiel is pointing out that there have been times where TL has been able to compete against the top MKs. Even though we lose in the end, one can't deny that we can get close to the win. What if we can push our character to beat those limits? The match-up is not impossible. I don't think any TL would agree the MU is impossible, my proof being that no TL agrees that the MU is -4.

The chances of it happening are very slim, but they exist. Again, I feel like the ZSS mains thought the same with their character, that their character had flaws that didn't let them beat the flock of top MKs, but then Salem happened at Apex 2013, shining a beacon of hope for other Smashers. Why can't the same apply to us?

Believe it or not, there IS room for improvement with TL. Not all TLs know all the match-ups. We don't all maximize on our options, mix-ups and ATs. We know that if we wanted to, we can do amazing things (random bursts of productive activity in Skype).

There is hope. It might be a long shot, but there IS hope. We can't be pessimistic over the odds cause that won't get us anywhere. If there's a way then we should strive to meet those ends.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Mew2King showed us that confidence and a positive attitude can go a long way.
?????? Mew2King uses MK..?

I'm getting sick of hearing about Salem winning apex by beating metaknights. this is the only bad part of his victory. I knew people would start to cite it as evidence that "yew can beet em kay so he should b legal!!11!" No. he doesn't need to be invincible to be illegal. he needs to be unfair to a degree that is statistically significant, which he is BY FAR. look at the apex results. there is no diversity. If you watch the videos you'll see how well/smart Salem had to play to beat metaknights even when they were just autopiloting. If having to be 10x better than your opponent isn't statistically significant, idk what is

?????? Mew2King uses MK..?

I'm getting sick of hearing about Salem winning apex by beating metaknights. this is the only bad part of his victory. I knew people would start to cite it as evidence that "yew can beet em kay so he should b legal!!11!" No. he doesn't need to be invincible to be illegal. he needs to be unfair to a degree that is statistically significant, which he is BY FAR. look at the apex results. there is no diversity. If you watch the videos you'll see how well/smart Salem had to play to beat metaknights even when they were just autopiloting. If having to be 10x better than your opponent isn't statistically significant, idk what is

If you want to reject M2K's story specifically, that's okay. There are a million other success stories that can be presented to strengthen my point, point being that confidence can take us a long way.

And why is this an MK ban topic now? I never said that he should be legal because he lost to a ZSS. I only questioned that if a ZSS can defy all odds by outplaying the top MKs by a million times over, why can't we?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
My point (and I think Gadiel's point) is that we have to stop being pessimists about TL and actually put in work. Mew2King showed us that confidence and a positive attitude can go a long way.

Gadiel is pointing out that there have been times where TL has been able to compete against the top MKs. Even though we lose in the end, one can't deny that we can get close to the win. What if we can push our character to beat those limits? The match-up is not impossible. I don't think any TL would agree the MU is impossible, my proof being that no TL agrees that the MU is -4.

The chances of it happening are very slim, but they exist. Again, I feel like the ZSS mains thought the same with their character, that their character had flaws that didn't let them beat the flock of top MKs, but then Salem happened at Apex 2013, shining a beacon of hope for other Smashers. Why can't the same apply to us?

Believe it or not, there IS room for improvement with TL. Not all TLs know all the match-ups. We don't all maximize on our options, mix-ups and ATs. We know that if we wanted to, we can do amazing things (random bursts of productive activity in Skype).

There is hope. It might be a long shot, but there IS hope. We can't be pessimistic over the odds cause that won't get us anywhere. If there's a way then we should strive to meet those ends.
I've said that a million times Twinkie, if not on the boards, but at least in person. People don't think that if you get close to beating a character or even a person that it counts for something. Many people, and I'm going to throw my a number which I feel is accurate, at least 90% of players I've met feel that way. After APEX I was all like "Wow, MK got exposed at APEX", but so many people told me I was wrong. I brought up the case and point that there were so many good MK players who were getting their ***** handed to them even if they wound up winning. We didn't see single sided games APEX. Most of those MK players, the ones I saw on stream anyway, actually had a hard time playing to get their win.

I still believe in Toon Link. I believe in his potential. I feel like we just have a hidden power that we aren't exploiting. I still think we could become more creative/flashy in out gameplay. Pull out all the tricks, the mind games. Pretty much gamble and be unpredictable. Put the pressure on, make them make the mistake. We have the tools to use it. We can potentially control the way the game is played I feel. No other character has the amount of projectiles and mobility we do. There's an unlimited amount of possibilities we have. We will have to work out butts off for it, but look at it this way; we can be the few and the proud. I'd like to at least accomplish that before I quit Brawl. That's why as much as I've trash talked my TL in the past, this year I have a great feeling about my ability to improve with him. I'm going full speed ahead. If there's anything I'm shooting for is to be a solid TL player. Even if I'm the weakest Link (maybe pun intended), I'll make your above average work really hard to beat me. I want to set the minimal standard for TL players.

I think I got ahead of myself again.....

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
hm, I think pj might be better than u kt. idk. maybe.

the tink players who think if mk was banned, that tink would do significantly better are fooling themselves

s/o link

man quest is bringing in the mk discussion so that i would actually have to do my job moderating stuff....

BSP

Smash Legend
I've been playing Tink in some casuals for a bit. I kinda hate his grounded normals :(

I see you guys were talking about MK v Tink. The MU looks really difficult.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
TL is a hard character to learn and control. He takes a lot of dedication. He's good, you just need to think outside the box when using him.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
So I just got shaken up today by one of my friends. After housing Sync and Tesh for a couple of nights, he picked up on some basics of brawl and picked up Lucario. To make things worse, he threw me off my game by catching my bombs and not being hit by them.... My mind is at shock right now. This has never happened to me before.... I'm not used to the Lucario MU much at all, but the fact he just would catch my bombs... I felt so helpless................ :'(

Edit: Call in the StormTroopers :troll:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yeah, but even playing against people better than me. They either dodge or do something no involving catching. I have to rework my strategy. -.-

So mad right now.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Try not releasing them at all then.

Here's the box [] :toonlink:

You need to be here ^

And thanks! I'ma try the frog legs next time.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I need to get back to training with people again. CPUs don't cut it. Though I found out last Saturday that if I play TL 2v1, I actually do some amazing things even if I wind up losing because I'm outnumbered. I let two people who are our #4 and 5 in my state team against me and I did fairly well. They admitted to me they had trouble getting a hold of me. I got in the zone and did some sweet stuff to them. There's just something about 2v1 that gets me so fired up and gets me going. xD

Labernash

Smash Lord
Dude, real talk, 2v1 is my best position. We're like twinkies <3

You and the rest of Louisiana should come to LSC! Especially the Tyler event, in May.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
My friend Erick was talking about going to TX for HOBO with Jnig. He said I should come. Which I'll definitely try to go. I've been wanting to go to TX for a tourny anyway. I want to get some real experience and see how I fair on one of the toughest stages in the country. As far as LSC, I'll look more into it. I might be able to come.

Tesh

Smash Hero
HOBO begins and ends this year's Lone Star Circuit and afaik its kind of in the center of all the active cities so its best that way. TCS6 is looking unexpectedly large, but I don't imagine LA to come all the way to Dallas (though it might not be so bad if you drop by Houston first to hang for a day or two).

Definitely should come to HOBO 39 and HOBO 40: LSC 2013 Championship. HOBO's reputation and the pot bonus is bound to attract people from across the country.

Labernash

Smash Lord
HOBO will be awesome, you'll enjoy your time.

Tyler is closest to you guys and you can get those seeding points for the Championships! <3 But, it is all the way in May, so no need to worry about it right now. We have Houston and Dallas first.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm going to look into the LSC's schedule assuming you guys having it posted. I'll save up my cash/pick up more hours at work and be sure to make it even if I have to walk.

Top Bottom