• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tingle for Brawl!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Cell-shading is a type of lighting in 3D models that causes no gradients to be visible between lighting and shading.

Anything else is just generalization.

Also, look at the eyes of some characters.

Shiny metal... detailed gloves with stitches........ completely yellow eyes without gradients? Gasp! What a clash of styles! Unheard of!

Honestly, how can you argue about the clashing of styles in a game that features THIS:

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Have you actually seen it be done before Luke? Cause I think you're just being stubborn because you don't like Cel shading or something.
No, I love cel-shading. Wind Waker was an absolutely beautiful game overall, along with Okami. I just don't love one cel-shaded character in a completely non cel-shaded game. Cartoony? Yes, that's perfectly fine. If WW Link happens to be in as a cartoon, then that's perfectly fine with me. Cel-shaded? No, it just wouldn't work out. If WW Link DOES happen to be in he at least should have a cartoon look without actually being cel-shaded, honestly.

SiD

Smash Master
Cel shading is meant to look like a cartoon dude. And I ask again, have you actually seen a game with this "clashing styles", or are you just assuming?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Cel shading is meant to look like a cartoon dude.
No, cel-shading =/= cartoony. There's a huge difference. Cel-shading is just a rendering that makes it look even more like a cartoon. Something can easily be cartoony without being cel-shaded. F.E.: Mario, Pikachu, and Kirby in Brawl. They look cartoony, but they aren't cel-shaded.
And I ask again, have you actually seen a game with this "clashing styles", or are you just assuming?
Yes, I'm assuming. I've thought about this carefully, and realized after a while that such a thing wouldn't work too well, especially in a game like Brawl.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Honestly, how can you argue about the clashing of styles in a game that features THIS:
I think he had more along the lines like "how can 3D and cel-shaded coexist in the same game?" argument.

If they can do it with 2D and 3D, they can do it with cel-shaded, no challenge at all.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I think he had more along the lines like "how can 3D and cel-shaded coexist in the same game?" argument.
No, I know that 3D and cel-shading can coexist easily. Just not one cel-shaded character in a non cel-shaded game. If WW Link was in, he would look perfect in a cartoony style. Just not cel-shaded.

SiD

Smash Master
Are you seriously trying to tell me that Mario looks more cartoony than cel shaded Link? That's stupid.

As for your point, I just disagree. I don't think having the two different styles would look bad in the slightest. Although I don't want WW Link in anyway, just for different reasons.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Are you seriously trying to tell me that Mario looks more cartoony than cel shaded Link? That's stupid.
No, since when did I ever suggest that? Yeah, Mario is cartoony, like most other Nintendo characters, whoopity-f-cking-doo.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Why would they have a cel-shaded Tingle when they have a non-Celshaded one from Majora's Mask? That could easilly be his Classic mode trophy, because those trophies often had different graphics than their character models.

Hong

The Strongest
Why would they have a cel-shaded Tingle when they have a non-Celshaded one from Majora's Mask? That could easilly be his Classic mode trophy, because those trophies often had different graphics than their character models.
I can post a bunch of trophies of characters who didn't use their original appearance in melee, but I really don't need to since you can just look through the trophies yourself.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I can post a bunch of trophies of characters who didn't use their original appearance in melee, but I really don't need to since you can just look through the trophies yourself.
MOST of the Melee trophies weren't of the original depictions if we're going by NES standards. Even if we were going by the first 3D incarnation of the characters, there were noticeable improvements over the original character models, with exception of Fox and Falco.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
He can be in Brawl, but as a trophy (not assist trophy) and no more. I don't want to fight him, he is just too weird for me. His potential moveset, his style, and everything else about him isn't necessary for him to fight for any cause.

EDITED: You know what, something in my mind made me think to give him a second chance. However I don't expect him to be ground-breaking if he is playable.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
MOST of the Melee trophies weren't of the original depictions if we're going by NES standards. Even if we were going by the first 3D incarnation of the characters, there were noticeable improvements over the original character models, with exception of Fox and Falco.

*Coughiceclimersclassictrophycough*

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
there was technically some lighting in that trophy.....hehehe.....minor improvement...

smashbot226

Smash Master
Oh yeah, just like that banana thing isn't deconfirmed either.
As much as I hate TIngle, I have to agree- he isn't deconfirmed YET. Just cuz he's a trophy doesn't mean he isn't deconfirmed yet. I'm just saying, it's like saying that Peach or Kirby aren't in the game because they're trophies.

And what a horrible argument. The banana is an item already. Stop trying to make a senseless point. >:(

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
As much as I hate TIngle, I have to agree- he isn't deconfirmed YET. Just cuz he's a trophy doesn't mean he isn't deconfirmed yet. I'm just saying, it's like saying that Peach or Kirby aren't in the game because they're trophies.

And what a horrible argument. The banana is an item already. Stop trying to make a senseless point. >:(
That banana is totally different from the banana PEEL item.

And, I feel him being shown in the trophy update makes him pretty much 95% deconfirmed. Remember, they want the game to appeal to a wide audience and Japan is pretty much the only country that likes Tingle.

I really doubt that the Dojo would show a charactar as an alternate trophy before he revealed him on the site. Its kind of a big deal to reveal the newcomers, and this would just cheapen his appearence.

If Tingle doesn't show up as a new character during this week, it pretty much puts the nail in the coffin.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
That banana is totally different from the banana PEEL item.

And, I feel him being shown in the trophy update makes him pretty much 95% deconfirmed. Remember, they want the game to appeal to a wide audience and Japan is pretty much the only country that likes Tingle.

I really doubt that the Dojo would show a charactar as an alternate trophy before he revealed him on the site. Its kind of a big deal to reveal the newcomers, and this would just cheapen his appearence.

If Tingle doesn't show up as a new character during this week, it pretty much puts the nail in the coffin.
Melee showed characters totally unknown in the United States, I don't think the situation in Brawl will be much different.
Cheapen his appearance? Considering how everyone seems to think he is deconfirmed, he'll only appear as a bigger surprise. I do however, agree that it's likely his position, AT, PC or otherwise may be revealed sometime this week.
Classic mode trophy, while not always, has shown the original character design in the games. Again, Tingle appearing in trophy form is neutral.

Everyone is talking about "clash styles" but they forgot Game and Watch in Melee.
Tingle in 3D hasn't appeared since Majora's Mask (at least not that I remember), and I don't think we'll see much reference to a game made almost 10 years ago. Plus, as I said again, Tingle can likely get in as representative of his own games.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Melee showed characters totally unknown in the United States, I don't think the situation in Brawl will be much different.
Cheapen his appearance? Considering how everyone seems to think he is deconfirmed, he'll only appear as a bigger surprise. I do however, agree that it's likely his position, AT, PC or otherwise may be revealed sometime this week.
Classic mode trophy, while not always, has shown the original character design in the games. Again, Tingle appearing in trophy form is neutral.

Everyone is talking about "clash styles" but they forgot Game and Watch in Melee.
Tingle in 3D hasn't appeared since Majora's Mask (at least not that I remember), and I don't think we'll see much reference to a game made almost 10 years ago. Plus, as I said again, Tingle can likely get in as representative of his own games.
*read about Mr. G&W*
yup...Liquid crystal Technology meets Next gen...so cel shaded characters can work (^^)v

SiD

Smash Master
It isn't neutral at all, it significantly lowers his chances of being a PC. Why? Because he wouldn't reveal a new character this way. He certainly has never done so before.

How much his chances are lowered is debatable, but to say that it's neutral is just a **** lie.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
It isn't neutral at all, it significantly lowers his chances of being a PC. Why? Because he wouldn't reveal a new character this way. He certainly has never done so before.

How much his chances are lowered is debatable, but to say that it's neutral is just a **** lie.
tru....but we really dont kno how Sakurai thinks...:(

Reyairia

Smash Champion

The fact is that he hasn't revealed anything, he just showed Tingle's trophy. Tingle can be either a PC, AT or a boss at this stage.
Brawl doesn't come out for another few months, and at the rate he reveals stuff anything could happen however he wants.
As I said again, it'd just make the surprise bigger because everyone is asssuming that he's deconfirmed.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
The fact is that he hasn't revealed anything, he just showed Tingle's trophy. Tingle can be either a PC, AT or a boss at this stage.
Brawl doesn't come out for another few months, and at the rate he reveals stuff anything could happen however he wants.
As I said again, it'd just make the surprise bigger because everyone is asssuming that he's deconfirmed.
yup...thats how Sakurai torments and pleases us....O_o...the reason on y that sounded so dirty will always be a mystery to me ...but any way yur right (^^)v

DigitalAngelic

Smash Rookie
I was just thinking about it and... all it proves is that there will be yet another Tingle trophy. Think about it, why would it be such a surprise that a trophy from Melee is returning with an updated graphical style and character model? It does nothing to deconfirm him.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I just wanna mention that the whole, "Sakurai has never done this before," is all the more reason to think he would do it. He's crafty like that.

Kaento

Smash Apprentice
I'm still wondering why Tingle was put with a banana, a boss from Pikmin, and a Nintendog, if he is going to be a "PC" then.
what does that have to do with anything? that pic was just giving you an example of how you can arrange the trophies and change the background.

anyway, i don't know where you guys get the idea that this update deconfirms tingle. *sigh*

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
what does that have to do with anything? that pic was just giving you an example of how you can arrange the trophies and change the background.

anyway, i don't know where you guys get the idea that this update deconfirms tingle. *sigh*
As a PC anyway, I'm still hoping for an obnoxious AT.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
We are not in Denial, We Are Saying it doesnt prove a thing either Way! XD
No, it's pretty much common sense. Unless Sakurai is VERY lazy and uses Tingle's actual Wind Waker model, and enjoys showing us character updates through something as small as this, I can rest assure that Tingle won't be playable. Yes, it disproves Tingle, either you like it or not. Tingle never had much of a chance anyway, just as much as someone f-cking like...Dr. Stewart from F-Zero, who's also a trophy. Yes, he's popular, obviously, but Sakurai sees potential in character, which is something Tingle doesn't have at all even if you try your hardest to give him a good moveset.

The only thing this raises the chance of is the inclusion of WW Link. Which will hopefully won't be cel-shaded, but cartoony-style is fine with me.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
No, it's pretty much common sense. Unless Sakurai is VERY lazy and uses Tingle's actual Wind Waker model, and enjoys showing us character updates through something as small as this, I can rest assure that Tingle won't be playable. Yes, it disproves Tingle, either you like it or not. Tingle never had much of a chance anyway, just as much as someone f-cking like...Dr. Stewart from F-Zero, who's also a trophy. Yes, he's popular, obviously, but Sakurai sees potential in character, which is something Tingle doesn't have at all even if you try your hardest to give him a good moveset.

The only thing this raises the chance of is the inclusion of WW Link. Which will hopefully won't be cel-shaded, but cartoony-style is fine with me.
dude u just dont give any Nintendo Characters u dont like a chance dont u?:laugh:

Sinn

Smash Lord

I find your theory on this raising WW Link's chances to be as valid as the theory that it doesn't de-confirm Tingle. What does a TROPHY being in the game have anything to do with a completely different character? Simply that they're using the cel shaded style for a model?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wow, the denial is enough to make anyone just laugh...

If this deconfirms him as a PC, I'm happy. I couldn't care less if he was an AT or anything, so long as he's not a PC.

Top Bottom