• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Timing.

Mark1119

Smash Cadet
Has anyone noticed what a huge role timing plays in this game? Has anyone capitalized on it?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well Id say timing plays a big role in pretty much any competitive fighting game.
As well as spacing and comboing.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Timing = playing as Melee Fox flawlessly.

Seriously though, it is important in any competitive fighting game just as Bellioes stated.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
No your wrong. The WOMBO COMBO is the best combo to have ever been performed
No combo will ever be a match with the awesomeness of the WOMBO COMBO :p

Also @Mark I think he was joking. Of course we dont just throw out moves at random times. He was joking cause pretty much every one already uses timing in their gameplay. At least thats what I think. (ex. to pull of the few true combos in brawl, you need to have good timing to know when to input the moves. LIke the gonzo combo; input the Uair to early and you wont perform it cause your still in the lag of the throw. The same goes for the Utilt.)

Sky`

Smash Lord
This thread... is pointless. Timing is crucial in any game that you play. It's crucial in real life too.

What's with all of these topics with no explanation? Just one word, and a sentence and you think it's a valid thread?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
This thread... is pointless.
See if your name was Falconv1.0 you'd be being called a troll by now. :laugh:

But in all seriousness. This is perhaps the dumbest thread ever excluding anything by combo king. No, we have not capitalized on timing in a fighting game, you've brought such a light to our eyes.

Are you kidding me dude?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
No your wrong. The WOMBO COMBO is the best combo to have ever been performed
No combo will ever be a match with the awesomeness of the WOMBO COMBO :p
Round 4 of the M2K vs. Shiz set at Revival of Melee says hi.

On topic: Timing is definitely utilized. At any level of play, when you play a match, you're in the air, and your opponent is in front of you, depending on what character you play, you're most probably going to think, "Hey, I should do a fair." No one really throws out attacks at random and hope they hit their opponent. Even button mashers know to button mash certain attacks close to their opponent and certain attacks far away.

The question you're asking is pretty self explanatory.

Sky`

Smash Lord
See if your name was Falconv1.0 you'd be being called a troll by now. :laugh:

But in all seriousness. This is perhaps the dumbest thread ever excluding anything by combo king. No, we have not capitalized on timing in a fighting game, you've brought such a light to our eyes.

Are you kidding me dude?
Lmfao. My words exactly.

Timing is key for anything you've ever done ever.

Lets say that you had sex with your best friends girl friend.

And your best friend was over havin some drinks with ya.

Do you really think that that would be the right time to say, "Oh yeah, I F*cked your girl."

Wait till you're mad at him or whatever. See that right there? That's called timing.

It's elementary, and I guess it just irritates me when people say such blatantly obvious things with the intention to sort of illuminate something that's already lit up.

Mark1119

Smash Cadet
How is this thread dumb? I suppose I don't have much going for me yet, but I think it's a pretty good topic from a tactical standpoint.

Timing has been the basis of my smashing for years now, and I find that most people I play are very surprised when I know what they are going to do next.

If you base your moves on your opponents moves and the recoil resulting in the move and time it perfectly, you won't get hit.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
If it's been the basis then why do you need to make a thread out of it?

Sky`

Smash Lord
How is this thread dumb? I suppose I don't have much going for me yet, but I think it's a pretty good tactic from a tactical standpoint.

Timing has been the basis of my smashing for years now, and I find that most people I play are very surprised when I know what they are going to do next.

If you base your moves on your opponents moves and the recoil resulting in the move and time it perfectly, you won't get hit.
Yeah. But see when you join a community of competitive gamers, this becomes standard. Timing is important, Spacing is important. Those are two things that are just obvious.

That's like me making a thread on here, and saying, " If you want to avoid being fat, don't eat bad things and exercise."

It's like, Well duh. That was obvious you know?

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I'll second Falcon and say this is one of the stupidest questions I've ever seen.

If you seriously think you're clever for noticing such a massively simple concept, I don't know what to say to you.

Mark1119

Smash Cadet
Actually, those words are a bit off.

Firstly, the topic is only one word...

And none of those words are "timing" so it's barely that, other than being the same language.

Back on topic,

Yeah. But see when you join a community of competitive gamers, this becomes standard. Timing is important, Spacing is important. Those are two things that are just obvious.

That's like me making a thread on here, and saying, " If you want to avoid being fat, don't eat bad things and exercise."

It's like, Well duh. That was obvious you know?
I see what you mean, and I thank you for putting it in a nice way :laugh:

However, no one has told me they have capitalized on the timing technique, so I want to see if
A. I'm using the wrong terms
or
B. I could learn something from you guys.

I don't see the point of just posting threads on how to exploit glitches in the game, and I think this is a good thread in that, it explains how timing your attacks and dodges can help in the game. Obviously it's part of the game, obviously it's the basis of the game, but there are ways to improve it, and I wanted to discuss it with you chaps.

Mr. O, I made the thread for that reason. :)

Mark1119

Smash Cadet
I'll just add this. If you guys want me to lock this (If I have the ability to, I'm new) I sure will.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Cultivate your hunger before you Idealise

/omnomnom on chocolate :3

See, the thing is, the technique of timing... isn't really a technique, it's just innate. We learn it as we grow as smashers, and it just comes naturally. Capitalizing on something that everybody needs to know anyway is kind of a waste of time. The Mod's will lock it for you, don't worry about that too much.

You know why this thread isn't a good one? It's cause all you did, was put something obvious in the title, and one sentence explaining it. That's your thesis. But why don't you take some time to elaborate your thoughts? Not for this particular topic mind you, but another one? You have to be willing to write paragraphs if you want to succeed in making a thread that's capable of carrying some pages. =]​

Motivate your anger, and make them all realise...

Bellioes

Smash Lord

This sounds more like predicting to me
If you know what your opponent is gonna do and punish them for being so predictable, that isnt called timing. Its prediction and punishing.

SpookyGhost

Smash Cadet
Prediction is key to success.
Find some way to decide on which stocks to invest in; you get rich.
Find out patterns in what your opponent will do, in any game; advantage.

James1119

Smash Cadet
Prediction is key to success.
Find some way to decide on which stocks to invest in; you get rich.
Find out patterns in what your opponent will do, in any game; advantage.
Prediction is the key. But with that key, you need timing. Even if you could see everyhting your opponent will do, you still have to be able to time up your counter. That's why I love the SSB series.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
timing is very important no matter what game ur playing... and as for brawl, i play as IC and my timing is critical. Those cg's are not easy to master and it just takes a lot of timing practice...

Bellioes

Smash Lord
But these are all general terms that everyone pretty much incorporates into their game without really having to try. Well actually this excludes prediction (you really have to be good to use this) but things like timing and spacing are easy. There isnt really anything to discuss. At least not to me. All we can really say is that its critical to incorporate these ideas into everything we do so yeah... :ohwell:

Wylde

Smash Cadet
I think this guy is onto something with this "timing" thing.........................

Mark1119

Smash Cadet
Eh... I didn't word it right.

Most people seem to have a good understanding of it anyways, so I might as well not say anything.

Top Bottom