• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
So, for the sake of staying on topic, I have a Robin-related question.

Frankly, things aren't looking too good for Robin at the moment, what with the Gematsu Leak looking more and more real and Chrom, of course, being a part of that leak. There's a lot of talk about how people should just accept Chrom as an inevitability and let go of the characters Chrom essentially kills the chances of. So, after all this, in the event that Robin is actually confirmed, what would your reaction be?
Probably the same one I'd have had in the first place. Fistpump, "YES!" and then commenting on the trailer here.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Oh, we like Awakening.

But because we love it so much, we'll pick on its flaws. If we didn't care so much, we would have had our say and be done with it. Heck, I doubt most of the people would even be here since Robin herself is an Awakening character. Right at this very moment I have Awakening on my desk, in sleep mode, in the midst of my umpteenth play through of the game.

Edit -
everytime I get stuck on the game I'm currently playing, I go back and play Awakening.

Hong

The Strongest

Frankly, things aren't looking too good for Robin at the moment, what with the Gematsu Leak looking more and more real and Chrom,
No. It's not looking "more and more" real. Its position has remain unchanged. It has always proven to have some semblance of truth after Wii Fit Trainer, but it's objectively outdated, incomplete and partially bogus. Since only the first and third leak have had any credibility, and both occurred within a short window of the official announcement, nothing has been provided to leave me to believe this third party has current information or is involved with the development process.
of course, being a part of that leak. There's a lot of talk about how people should just accept Chrom as an inevitability and let go of the characters Chrom essentially kills the chances of. So, after all this, in the event that Robin is actually confirmed, what would your reaction be?
Depends if Robin is good or not.

I already frown upon the leak as it is. Not because of its contents, but because people are so absurdly absolute about it. A lot of people who, to paraphrase a wise man, have never developed a game before.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Almost 200 posts in a single day? 12 people watching the thread? Page-long tangents every few hours? Is this Robin or Ridley? >_>

So, after all this, in the event that Robin is actually confirmed, what would your reaction be?
"Remember, guys? Anything can change."

...Actually, I'd be less of a ass than that. I'd feel vindicated as hell, though, with the arguments I've made for Robin still having a good chance.

I already frown upon the leak as it is. Not because of its contents, but because people are so absurdly absolute about it. A lot of people who, to paraphrase a wise man, have never developed a game before.
Have you ever made a game?

Seriously, have you been involved in one before? You sound like you're speaking from an informed perspective, for lack of a less wordy phrase.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Frankly, things aren't looking too good for Robin at the moment, what with the Gematsu Leak looking more and more real and Chrom, of course, being a part of that leak. There's a lot of talk about how people should just accept Chrom as an inevitability and let go of the characters Chrom essentially kills the chances of. So, after all this, in the event that Robin is actually confirmed, what would your reaction be?
All the tea will be drunk that day.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Really? I thought that part was hilarious.

I just can't take Awakening's story seriously. Starting from Chapter 4 I immediately lose any suspension of belief.

I can't wait to see the Emmeryn Assist Trophy. Of course, when you crack it open, seemingly nothing comes out. Then, roughly a minute later, she comes crashing down on your enemy for an instant KO.:troll:
hey, someone else that didn't find Awakening story all that great
the whole time travel aspect of it just felt pretty poorly executed if you ask me, and the spotpass paralogues just kinda ruin any possible important story event given everyone seems to be alive still
Also

Hong

The Strongest
Seriously, have you been involved in one before? You sound like you're speaking from an informed perspective, for lack of a less wordy phrase.
Going into game design was the first thing I did when I got out of high school, and while for 2010-2013 I have not been involved with anything that has shipped besides my focused feedback with Blizzard an some personal projects, just this year I picked up a new gig that I hope I can talk about in about four years or so year when we're ready to promote it. :)

While this isn't related to your post, I'll say it here anyway. The three reasons why I don't put too much stock in the Gematsu leak, aside from the fact it is objectively partial:

1) No game in history has ever gone as planned
There is NO WAY you can ever have all the characters, features, stages, etc. work out as planned. Especially within the first year, things that sounded awesome in paper just don't work as you had hoped. For example, for all we know they could have planned to have Chrom replace Ike, but decided against it. Even the most experienced, most prestigious developers in the industry have to adapt their flow as they move along. It's just a natural part of the process, and there's nothing wrong with it.

2) Sakurai is stubborn, but still volatile
Related to the above. While this isn't related to my experience and knowledge of game design, it is related to Sakurai.

Sakurai claims the roster had been decided from the beginning, and this is true; but it is nigh impossible to be set in stone. Every single one of his games, from Kirby to Smash Bros, has unused content, proof of things removed, things partially added, and he even talks about things that don't work. This is a part of the game design process. The "Forbidden Seven" is a popular example, but it goes way deeper than that. To think Melee could have had Leif and not Roy, Lucas and not Ness. There is no doubt they were on a design document from the start, too.

As stubborn as Sakurai is, even he has had to change his plans all the time. That said, with Brawl he clearly bit more than he could chew, and he is likely avoid it with Smash 4. That is why he would try to have a stricter plan from the beginning and stick to it from the beginning.

3) A lot of people will have information that are not touching the game
As I have mentioned before, even with a top secret project like Smash Bros, a lot of hands will be touching this information. The fact it gets leaked so close to when it is revealed, and the leaker used a term specifically for the English localization, supports the fact it's not anyone involved with the development team themselves.

The first and likely possibility is the leaker is someone who screens the content at e3. Since, you know, it will be seen by thousands in person and millions around the world, hundreds of thousands of those watching it live. The second possibility is someone involved with licensing, since even if you are using an IP that is 100% internal and owned by Nintendo, there is still lots of paperwork involved, which is heavily reflected by all the text you will see under the title screen of a Smash Bros game. And of course the last possibility is someone at any level of marketing. While I doubt someone from Treehouse is a leaker, with such a massive marketing department, Nintendo like any company will send things to marketing when they need them to work their magic. With an IP as big and important as Smash Bros, they will need to get everything they can on top of it to make it good and make it fast.

____

And it's not even like I'm reaching here because I don't want Chrom or something, because all I care about is whether or not the game is good. Whether we get Chrom, Robin, Lucina or who ever, nothing definitively makes them a good character until I have seen them in motion. I have just been around for so long to painfully watch how badly people can blunder in their speculations of Smash 4.

You don't even need to be involved with game design to be able to think about this, really. Even if the leak had said Robin and not Chrom, I wouldn't let it affect my speculation. Critical thinking would not allow me to place any stock in it unless I have seen a working build of the character late (2014) in development, or until the product has shipped.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Going into game design was the first thing I did when I got out of high school, and while for 2010-2013 I have not been involved with anything that has shipped besides my focused feedback with Blizzard an some personal projects, just this year I picked up a new gig that I hope I can talk about in about four years or so year when we're ready to promote it. :)

While this isn't related to your post, I'll say it here anyway. The three reasons why I don't put too much stock in the Gematsu leak, aside from the fact it is objectively partial:

1) No game in history has ever gone as planned
There is NO WAY you can ever have all the characters, features, stages, etc. work out as planned. Especially within the first year, things that sounded awesome in paper just don't work as you had hoped. For example, for all we know they could have planned to have Chrom replace Ike, but decided against it. Even the most experienced, most prestigious developers in the industry have to adapt their flow as they move along. It's just a natural part of the process, and there's nothing wrong with it.

2) Sakurai is stubborn, but still volatile
Related to the above. While this isn't related to my experience and knowledge of game design, it is related to Sakurai.

Sakurai claims the roster had been decided from the beginning, and this is true; but it is nigh impossible to be set in stone. Every single one of his games, from Kirby to Smash Bros, has unused content, proof of things removed, things partially added, and he even talks about things that don't work. This is a part of the game design process. The "Forbidden Seven" is a popular example, but it goes way deeper than that. To think Melee could have had Leif and not Roy, Lucas and not Ness. There is no doubt they were on a design document from the start, too.

As stubborn as Sakurai is, even he has had to change his plans all the time. That said, with Brawl he clearly bit more than he could chew, and he is likely avoid it with Smash 4. That is why he would try to have a stricter plan from the beginning and stick to it from the beginning.

3) A lot of people will have information that are not touching the game
As I have mentioned before, even with a top secret project like Smash Bros, a lot of hands will be touching this information. The fact it gets leaked so close to when it is revealed, and the leaker used a term specifically for the English localization, supports the fact it's not anyone involved with the development team themselves.

The first and likely possibility is the leaker is someone who screens the content at e3. Since, you know, it will be seen by thousands in person and millions around the world, hundreds of thousands of those watching it live. The second possibility is someone involved with licensing, since even if you are using an IP that is 100% internal and owned by Nintendo, there is still lots of paperwork involved, which is heavily reflected by all the text you will see under the title screen of a Smash Bros game. And of course the last possibility is someone at any level of marketing. While I doubt someone from Treehouse is a leaker, with such a massive marketing department, Nintendo like any company will send things to marketing when they need them to work their magic. With an IP as big and important as Smash Bros, they will need to get everything they can on top of it to make it good and make it fast.

____

And it's not even like I'm reaching here because I don't want Chrom or something, because all I care about is whether or not the game is good. Whether we get Chrom, Robin, Lucina or who ever, nothing definitively makes them a good character until I have seen them in motion. I have just been around for so long to painfully watch how badly people can blunder in their speculations of Smash 4.

You don't even need to be involved with game design to be able to think about this, really. Even if the leak had said Robin and not Chrom, I wouldn't let it affect my speculation. Critical thinking would not allow me to place any stock in it unless I have seen a working build of the character late (2014) in development, or until the product has shipped.

yesss Hong spill the truth tea

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
This thread gets bigger every day. I like it.

Good lord. Enough of kermit the frog guys...Unless you want him to be the new Robin.

kermit1.jpg

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I can't believe I'm saying this, but how is the Robin support thread being taken over by Kermit the Frog?!

What next, is Big Bird eating a cheeseburger going to invade the Ridley thread or something?!

Uh, I mean uh.

Hong

The Strongest
XD Seriously. Going to have to be the fun police and ask everyone to cut down on the 100% pure Kermit posts. It constitutes as reposting things that have already been stated. I'd like to think I am immensely merciful since off-topic conversation is basically half of this thread, but the line has to be drawn eventually.

But sneaking one in every now and then is just fine!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I declare Kermit the official mascot and symbol of support of Robin for Smash
edited cause new post came while I was writing this

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
From time to time I like to pretend what it would be like if Robin fans were trolled as badly as Ridley fans.

"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the back of Grima, from Fire Emblem: Awakening! A Tactician from Chrom's past may appear at any second…"

And then for nearly a year they can constantly allude to showing Robin. Maybe have the sun cast her shadow briefly during a Nintendo direct, and then we can spend months using all kinds of contrived algorithms to measure the shadow to determine the size and argue whether or not she is a boss.

"But no! That is just the alternate timeline Robin!" we'll argue. "The good Robin will still be playable."

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
From time to time I like to pretend what it would be like if Robin fans were trolled as badly as Ridley fans.

"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the back of Grima, from Fire Emblem: Awakening! A Tactician from Chrom's past may appear at any second…"

And then for nearly a year they can constantly allude to showing Robin. Maybe have the sun cast her shadow briefly during a Nintendo direct, and then we can spend months using all kinds of contrived algorithms to measure the shadow to determine the size and argue whether or not she is a boss.

"But no! That is just the alternate timeline Robin!" we'll argue. "The good Robin will still be playable."
Robin is TOO BIG... in heart at least :3

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Tread carefully with your words there. Remember that no matter how big this thread may be, there is always one bigger. :evil:

Hong

The Strongest
Tread carefully with your words there. Remember that no matter how big this thread may be, there is always one bigger. :evil:
Not like I am saying Ridley fans have been unreasonable, so much as Sakurai has spared them no mercy.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

If Robin was teased in the same way Ridley has been... Well, I don't think the results would be the same. For one, Robin is not a highly requested character, or one that's been wanted for several Smash installments. So not as many people would really care. From another perspective, there would really be no reason to tease Robin. I mean, the vast majority of people have always expected Chrom to be the next Fire Emblem newcomer, so why would they ever bother teasing Robin? Why not just de-confirm him/her outright, since, as I said, Robin isn't a highly requested character. So I think it would be a hint towards playability, perhaps.

Of course, that's all theoretical.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Saw that.

Still don't get it.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but how is the Robin support thread being taken over by Kermit the Frog?!

What next, is Big Bird eating a cheeseburger going to invade the Ridley thread or something?!
Uh, I mean uh.

Apparently someone took me seriously.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Not counting palettes, what kind of costumes would everyone like to see?

Grandmaster?

Dark Mage? :troll:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Not counting palettes, what kind of costumes would everyone like to see?

Grandmaster?

Dark Mage? :troll:
Lord

I would like to see a risen-ish costume to be honest. A knight wouldn't be bad I guess, considering Robin is rather protective of Chrom and friends.

Hong

The Strongest
Lord

I would like to see a risen-ish costume to be honest.
Well technically, Robin is a lord regardless of outfit. ;)

Risen would be great and IMO mandatory for the Awakening character(s), if not all the Fire Emblem character because why not? That said, that would be more of a colour palette than a costume, since it can be accomplished with changes to colour.
A knight wouldn't be bad I guess, considering Robin is rather protective of Chrom and friends.
*sighs* Aren't they lovely together? <3

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.
Well technically, Robin is a lord regardless of outfit. ;)

Risen would be great and IMO mandatory for the Awakening character(s), if not all the Fire Emblem character because why not? That said, that would be more of a colour palette than a costume, since it can be accomplished with changes to colour.*sighs* Aren't they lovely together? <3

Fun fact: It's a scene of grimma killing chrom.

Top Bottom