• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Reginleif

Smash Ace
But when they work on new characters, it's not a simple addition, like they said. The work multiplies, and I'm pretty sure they have to update everything. Thus, I don't believe there will be DLC characters. If there's no "already on disc" then I don't see it happening. And all the characters have been decided at the start, DLC never made sense to me and seemed like a messy idea for Smash Bros.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
But when they work on new characters, it's not a simple addition, like they said. The work multiplies, and I'm pretty sure they have to update everything. Thus, I don't believe there will be DLC characters. If there's no "already on disc" then I don't see it happening. And all the characters have been decided at the start, DLC never made sense to me and seemed like a messy idea for Smash Bros.
DLC would take a while to develop, and we all know that Sakurai pushes for a 'polished' or 'finished' game... so I agree, DLC could go either way.

Bad news for Robin is Sal is right...

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
There's plenty of games that fairly regularly add new characters without problem on a regular basis. Granted, most of these are MOBAs which only have 4 moves and a couple of stats to worry about, but they are still relatively comparable in the balancing department.
Everything else depends on weither or not they build the engine and interface with DLC in mind. If the Sal leak is correct, they at least planned for it at some point or another, and they already did say they wanted to support the game after release so it wouldn't surprise me if they left at least a few backdoors open to get new stuff in.

And even if it turns out they talked about having DLC but decided against new characters there's still a chance for Robin to be in the game as either a yet unrevealed or secret character. I'll start worrying once the ice gets thin.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Considering the most recent leak said they were seriously considering DLC characters, and we have reason to believe that info was outdated, they may be further along on them than we realize.

And all the characters have been decided at the start, DLC never made sense to me and seemed like a messy idea for Smash Bros.
That's all the more reason to have DLC. There're bound to be characters that weren't relevant in Summer-Fall 2012 that are now and might not be by the time SSB5 rolls around (Sceptile, anyone?). They'd make a ton of money if it was reasonably priced, the games would get even more hype, and if it seems like the labor of love that the games have been so far, they might not even mind the work.

All the more reason to have some kind of outreach ready in case it comes down to DLC. You guys saw what happened in RTC: damn near everyone who had played Awakening wanted Robin playable.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, it would be a great way to appeal to the fans wants (as seen in the RTC thread). Characters that receive a lot of attention but have questionable odds of making the initial cut now (after the leak anyway) - K.K. Rool, Robin, Isaac, Lucina, Krystal, so many more would be perfect considerations. There's so much money to be made in this DLC venture for Smash and we all know Nintendo needs it. Great way to make fans happy while making quite the profit along the way :)

But of course it doesn't just have to be characters. There's a lot that they could do honestly.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Ugh... I'm sick of this damn leak... It makes speculation boring when someone goes "nuh-uh not happanin 'cus gemastu".

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Ugh... I'msick of this damn leak... It makes speculation boring when someone goes "nuh-uh not happanin 'cus gemastu".
Yeah...definitely does bring dark clouds back over this thread and we have to work to get rid of them.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Ugh... I'm sick of this damn leak... It makes speculation boring when someone goes "nuh-uh not happanin 'cus gemastu".
Yeah...definitely does bring dark clouds back over this thread and we have to work to get rid of them.
The same can be said for every support thread that doesn't involve Chrom, Shulk, or, ugh, Chorus Men. Many believe that they'll be the only newcomers left and suck out any fun other character supporters try to have. :glare:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Especially when there's a lot of valid skepticism about how complete or up-to-date the leak info is, and a lot of people are outright disregarding that.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
All I want from that leak is Shulk. That's it.

If Shulk, Ghirahim, and Robin were playable...I would die of happiness. :happysheep:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Just have to accept that the leak will continue to be talked about around the forums until the Japanese release. But then again, the discussion will shift to more "See?! I told ya so! Nana nana boo boo stick your head in dodo!"/"Omg the leak wasn't entirely right!" talk, huh?

All I want from that leak is Shulk. That's it.

If Shulk, Ghirahim, and Robin were playable...I would die of happiness. :happysheep:
Yeah, since the beginning of the leak, I only really wanted Palutena and Shulk. Now that I can just about rest assured that Shulk will be playable, just give me Isaac and FE newcomer that isn't Chrom (but I won't be too disappointed if that's who we end up with) and I will forever hold my peace.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I'm in the "only really wanted Palutena and Shulk out of the leaked ones" crowd as well. The good news for Shulk is, out of the three remaining leaked characters, he's the least likely to have been miscommunicated or second-guessed at some point since the source last got info.

Since I never got any real answers last time, let me bring this question up again: Could we possibly see any Fire Emblem items? What would they be?

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Can we just let go of the Gematsu thing for a while? Even if completely accurate the leaker did not claim to know the entire roster and also claims DLC which gives us a chance for other desired characters and Robin as DLC. I'm rather on team of "Please not Chrom; go **** yourself, Sal."

For some reason I feel Isaac or Robin would be mutually exclusive and I can't really see two Spellswords joining the battle. Which sucks because I pretty much want them equally. Perhaps if Isaac used an axe instead?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Can we just let go of the Gematsu thing for a while? Even if completely accurate the leaker did not claim to know the entire roster and also claims DLC which gives us a chance for other desired characters and Robin as DLC.
You're among friends.

I'm rather on team of "Please not Chrom; go **** yourself, Sal."
I'd...be careful there. Sal was just the one the leaker spoke to. Going after him would be shooting the messenger.

For some reason I feel Isaac or Robin would be mutually exclusive and I can't really see two Spellswords joining the battle.
Not necessarily. We've had two characters with partially similar movesets join in the same game before. Especially since Isaac and Robin use magic in different ways: the former has an earth affinity and uses magic that affects the world around him, the latter uses distinct spells of nonphysical elements and (in theory) would focus on controlling the flow of battle.

But seriously, Fire Emblem items? There have to be some cool ideas floating around...

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Well, for one, there's a couple of staffs you could use - Magic Barrier and Rescue (teleports you where it lands) are the first two that come to my mind.

Oh, how about Ballistae? High Powered, but you can't move while using one. That'd be unique and possibly fun to play around with.

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone find it hilarious how Kid Icarus will have a minimum of three items and there is a good chance Fire Emblem will have none?

Gosh, I didn't think it would be a hard series to get ideas from.
Stop fussing with the supporters. You're wasting your time.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I'm in the "only really wanted Palutena and Shulk out of the leaked ones" crowd as well. The good news for Shulk is, out of the three remaining leaked characters, he's the least likely to have been miscommunicated or second-guessed at some point since the source last got info.

Since I never got any real answers last time, let me bring this question up again: Could we possibly see any Fire Emblem items? What would they be?
Hmm...Maybe a log? That'd cause a lot of damage. :troll:

In all seriousness, I could imagine maybe a vulneary or concoction for healing items. Maybe a axe of some sort could serve as a weapon.

Hong

The Strongest
Hmm...Maybe a log? That'd cause a lot of damage. :troll:

In all seriousness, I could imagine maybe a vulneary or concoction for healing items. Maybe a axe of some sort could serve as a weapon.
Nah. All we're getting for recovery items that we haven't seen yet is Lon Lon Milk, Elixir Soup, Chu Jelly, and the Stamina Fruit. Legend of Zelda doesn't have enough recovery items.:troll:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Guess who got Fire Emblem: Awakening for his birthday?

Going to play using Robin as her own character rather than my avatar. Probably going to make her marry Chrom too, since that's the most canon outcome in my mind.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Rift Door item - When hit by this item, the opponent instantly vanishes, then spawns near the bottom left/right blast-zone. You can try to make it back, but save your effort after you spawn again safely! :troll:

Iron Rune - Decreases knockback from opponent's attacks when held.

Thor's Ire - Shrouds user in an electrical aura. Works like ROB's Final Smash due to the invulnerability it provides the user and it exerts a continuous hitbox that occasionally sends out a powerful blast with great KO potential. Lasts for about 15 seconds.

Uhh..other stuff.

Yeah, Fire Emblem just screams recovery items and items that could kind of work similarly to the power-ups in Smash Run.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Going to play using Robin as her own character rather than my avatar. Probably going to make her marry Chrom too, since that's the most canon outcome in my mind.
Yes, you must have her be in very close proximity so we can learn the enemy's secrets. All his secrets. :smirk:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Wait, so you haven't played Awakening before now?

That's a pity.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Wait, so you haven't played Awakening before now?

That's a pity.
Wait, so people in this thread do like Awakening?
I was under the impression that wasn't the case for quite a while and that people here thought it wasn't as good as other FE games therefore it's terrible.
...that's good to see :3

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I was under the impression that wasn't the case for quite a while and that people here thought it wasn't as good as other FE games therefore it's terrible.
Oh yeah, I enjoyed Awakening very much. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be wanting Robin and Lucina in Smash as much as I do.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
None of the Fire Emblem games are really terrible. And I always enjoy a good strategy game, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least a bit.

In your guys' opinion, how does Sacred Stones compare to Awakening? Sacred Stones is the first I played, and I know it the best (having played it a couple times through now).

Last edited:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think hardcore FE fans have expectations on what they thought the series was, so therefore hated the casual nature, pairing up system, and ease of the game. This isnt the case for all the detractors.

The sheer replayability of the game is why its one of my favorite games of all time.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I think hardcore FE fans have expectations on what they thought the series was, so therefore hated the casual nature, pairing up system, and ease of the game. This isnt the case for all the detractors.

The sheer replayability of the game is why its one of my favorite games of all time.
The thing is, you can really make this game as easy or as hard as you want it to be (this isn't directed at you of course). The game was meant to appeal to a broader audience - hence, the introduction of casual mode (although casual mode was in a Japan exclusive that will not likely be localized due to Awakening), but it's not like classic mode and the harder difficulties were ditched. And you can still come up with your own challenges, like no grinding, etc. The replayability, the customization, the DLC content...there are a lot of things that make me believe that Awakening is a great game.

In your guys' opinion, how does Sacred Stones compare to Awakening? Sacred Stones is the first I played, and I know it the best (having played it a couple times through now).
Overall comparison, or comparison in what way? Personally, I'm Awakening > Sacred Stones.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The thing is, you can really make this game as easy or as hard as you want it to be (this isn't directed at you of course). The game was meant to appeal to a broader audience - hence, the introduction of casual mode (although casual mode was in a Japan exclusive that will not likely be localized due to Awakening), but it's not like classic mode and the harder difficulties were ditched. And you can still come up with your own challenges, like no grinding, etc. The replayability, the customization, the DLC content...there are a lot of things that make me believe that Awakening is a great game.
I think the attachment people have to the characters is also a sign of how great the game is. Hence the activity of this thread!

I think there should be a difficulty between Lunatic and Hard. Like Very Hard. I hate Lunatic Plus.

None of the Fire Emblem games are really terrible. And I always enjoy a good strategy game, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least a bit.

The variable class options are here and so is the overworld and grinding to level up.

I didnt really like the story of SS but I do like the different perspectives and you get a bit of that if you marry another character on different runthrough.

The hard mode on SS is much harder than with FE13. For FE veterans you should play the game on hard.

Awakening is a better game, but it uses many elements from SS so SS being the first game in the series works really well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Overall comparison, or comparison in what way? Personally, I'm Awakening > Sacred Stones.
Can you give me things that Awakening does better and things Awakening does worse?

I think the attachment people have to the characters is also a sign of how great the game is. Hence the activity of this thread!

I think there should be a difficulty between Lunatic and Hard. Like Very Hard. I hate Lunatic Plus.

The variable class options are here and so is the overworld and grinding to level up.

I didnt really like the story of SS but I do like the different perspectives and you get a bit of that if you marry another character on different runthrough.

The hard mode on SS is much harder than with FE13. For FE veterans you should play the game on hard.

Awakening is a better game, but it uses many elements from SS so SS being the first game in the series works really well.
I'm actually doing Sacred Stone's hard difficult at the moment. It's a good difficulty level for me. Would you recommend I play Awakening on Hard to start?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm actually doing Sacred Stone's hard difficult at the moment. It's a good difficulty level for me. Would you recommend I play Awakening on Hard to start?
SS normal without grinding = FE13 Hard Mode without grinding. So I recommend starting on hard mode. I played on normal once and never did it again.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

Ha ha, I actually consider Lunatic to be the "Very Hard" mode and Lunatic+ to be "Lunatic". The fact that you literally require luck during parts of Chapters 1-4 (especially Chapter 2, I probably totaled at least 100 resets. Many were before I even attempted the map) is pretty ridiculous. There's zero fun in that. But after that it's fine since you can do what you want.

Can you give me things that Awakening does better and things Awakening does worse?
jaytalks actually summed up what I would've said pretty well.

Yeah, definitely start with Hard Classic. Although I think even Donnel can still clear things on his own on Hard difficulty, I can't remember :ohwell:

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, Fire Emblem just screams recovery items and items that could kind of work similarly to the power-ups in Smash Run.
Disagree. I think the vast array of magical items present all sorts of possibilities, and recovery items are already too abundant.

Warding Staff: Melee weapon. While it's held, it generates a shield around the user. This shield doesn't absorb launch, but absorbs damage. Warding Staff eventually runs out of power after absorbing a certain amount of damage, but you can still whack people with it.

Levin Sword: Another melee weapon. Smash attacks with this weapon call lightning down upon the battlefield, and it travels further and further based on charge. Also calls lightning down when thrown.

Arcflame: Basically a front-loaded fireflower. You can fire a massive cone of flame that comes out in bursts. You can charge the blasts for even more range and damage, but it expends the uses quicker this way.

Goddess Icon: Character sparkles after picking it up, for up to a minute. During this time, beneficial non-explosive items drop next to them periodically.

Fire Emblem: While equipped, ignore all damage from stage hazards, Assist Trophies and summoned Pokemon. Assist Trophies and bosses that can be attacked take significantly more damage.
Kinda sad that I spoiled myself already, though.
Spoilers: Chrom dies.

Sacred Stones, lack of difficulty aside, is one of the best designed Fire Emblems in terms of mechanics and maps, Also like the other GBA games, IMO the best battle animations. Really, while the story is alright, what really holds this back is it just feels too easy.

Awakening is also easy, but at least it's engaging early on with Lunatic. Still really poorly designed difficulty (best game for that is PoR Maniac mode IMO). Awakening also has some of the worst chapter design and feels really bloated when it comes to mechanics. For example, there are so many tomes, yet the variation between them feels so minor that it doesn't feel like an engaging decision. The class selection also left me with similar gripes. Too much quantity, not enough quality. It feels like the hardest decisions to make in this game are who should marry who versus anything related to battle.

Overall Awakening feels less fine-tuned than Sacred Stones, but more than makes up for it with great presentation. It's the first Fire Emblem where the dialogue sequences can actually be seen, and the voices with each string of dialogue helps to bring character personalities to the forefront. Awakening, for all the generic anime character tropes that people harp on, still has some awesome characters. The way they interact with each other in battle is truly heartwarming.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I like Awakening, it's my favorite 3DS game as of yet and it constantly struggles with Blazing Sword as my 2nd favorite game in the series. The only FE I legitimately don't really like are 6 and 8, especially 8

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Disagree. I think the vast array of magical items present all sorts of possibilities, and recovery items are already too abundant.

Warding Staff: Melee weapon. While it's held, it generates a shield around the user. This shield doesn't absorb launch, but absorbs damage. Warding Staff eventually runs out of power after absorbing a certain amount of damage, but you can still whack people with it.

Levin Sword: Another melee weapon. Smash attacks with this weapon call lightning down upon the battlefield, and it travels further and further based on charge. Also calls lightning down when thrown.

Arcflame: Basically a front-loaded fireflower. You can fire a massive cone of flame that comes out in bursts. You can charge the blasts for even more range and damage, but it expends the uses quicker this way.

Goddess Icon: Character sparkles after picking it up, for up to a minute. During this time, beneficial non-explosive items drop next to them periodically.

Fire Emblem: While equipped, ignore all damage from stage hazards, Assist Trophies and summoned Pokemon. Assist Trophies and bosses that can be attacked take significantly more damage.
Spoilers: Chrom dies.
Sacred Stones, lack of difficulty aside, is one of the best designed Fire Emblems in terms of mechanics and maps, Also like the other GBA games, IMO the best battle animations. Really, while the story is alright, what really holds this back is it just feels too easy.
Yeah, recovery items are definitely plentiful enough. I was just speaking on what Fire Emblem has to offer overall, but LoZ already took the cake for recovery for the most part. I do like your item suggestions though. The one that seems the most probable would be the Levin Sword. Unless maybe there's a Gangrel Assist Trophy.

@ ThunderSageNun ThunderSageNun - For me, Lyn makes that game. I wouldn't really care for it much if she wasn't apart of it. But that's just me :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom