• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Does anyone else think it would be cool if fire emblem could be played competitively? or at least against your friends a little easier than it is right now?

It's kinda like chess... but more badass and slightly luck based
I've never played FE with other people...what is it like? o:
FE11 had a small competitive scene and it was....

Well, not awful. Just a bit weird.

Common approaches were just blitzing the enemy down with Swordmasters. Not just any ordinary Swordmaster, but one who wields a magic sword, is raised exclusively as a Mage, and then swapped to Swordmaster later on. High speed and high damage. They were fragile, but so is most of the classes. If you can actually double something, that's great. It was cool to see people who would not otherwise use Snipers or Falcon Knights pull those out as well.

It can be good if Nintendo invests more time into a multiplayer model. A lot of what was wrong is just a problem with Fire Emblem in General. "in General" is a good way of putting it, because while I love Generals, they are an example of where the series could improve a bit. I wouldn't mind if they received a little something. Think many people would be happier if they had standard Mov, or at least something really amazing to make up for it. Anyway, some fine-tuning to the classes and a diverse map pool could provide countless hours of entertainment.

Best part is Fire Emblem is a turn-based game. As a developer, this is great because you can have a relatively bare-bones netcode and an even playing field for gamers regardless of where they live and the kind of connection they have.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
@sunfallSeraph very nice and thanks! Doing well here at Shuffle, made it out of pools yesterday, lost doubles though. The real bracket just started so wish me and @Delta Fist luck! Robin representing in full force! We need some first place finishers damn it.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
You'd think Robin would learn to... book it.
. . .
I'm not sorry.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
yeah, Wikia's servers automatically resize all hotlinked images to be the same size, regardless of the effects on quality or whatever. So if you hotlink something like a FE map sprite, it gets blown up to ridiculous proportions, and looks like crap. I presume it's to reduce the load on their servers by discouraging the practice (not that they need it, since they could just dig into their money pit and buy more machines. But that would mean spending money to provide end-users with a better experience, which is clearly a big no-no).

Example:
Lucina's map sprite, linked from Wikia:

Lucina's map sprite, linked from my site:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It makes even less sense as Wikia is 'for profit' organisation is run by the same man who owns Wikipedia.

:231:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
yeah, Wikia's servers automatically resize all hotlinked images to be the same size, regardless of the effects on quality or whatever. So if you hotlink something like a FE map sprite, it gets blown up to ridiculous proportions, and looks like crap. I presume it's to reduce the load on their servers by discouraging the practice (not that they need it, since they could just dig into their money pit and buy more machines. But that would mean spending money to provide end-users with a better experience, which is clearly a big no-no).

Example:
Lucina's map sprite, linked from Wikia:

Lucina's map sprite, linked from my site:
Actual artists representation of Wikia owners.

Hong

The Strongest
Generally I side with the side of the domain owner.

There's plenty of plug-ins/add-ons out there that let you upload stuff in literally two clicks. They have every reason to block hot-linking, and I'd prefer if they sport an absolutely embarrassing hot-linking image for those that try.

Hong

The Strongest
Just for demonstration sake, let's say I saw @ Moydow Moydow 's obscenely adorable Maya gif and wanted to use it somewhere.

1. With something like the imgur addon for Firefox, all I have to do is right-click it, then click upload.

(They have the same tool for multiple platforms)

2. And bam! It's uploaded after only two clicks.

They even have BBCode on the side, so you can just copy and paste that into Smashboards and you're good to go. Whenever you see anything you want to share with someone, you should always upload it somewhere first. If you're trying to post the image somewhere, you can more reliably ensure they will see the same as you did. While not relevant to the current discussion, you should do the same when you are IMing someone.

Otherwise think of all those embarrassing times you've shared an image with someone and had no idea it was something completely different on their end. Some people may not even know what you were trying to share so you can just look silly.
Hong's sig makes me think Priscilla is casting Smashboards premium on an ally.
Working as intended. :estatic:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just for demonstration sake, let's say I saw @ Moydow Moydow 's obscenely adorable Maya gif and wanted to use it somewhere.

1. With something like the imgur addon for Firefox, all I have to do is right-click it, then click upload.

(They have the same tool for multiple platforms)

2. And bam! It's uploaded after only two clicks.

They even have BBCode on the side, so you can just copy and paste that into Smashboards and you're good to go. Whenever you see anything you want to share with someone, you should always upload it somewhere first. If you're trying to post the image somewhere, you can more reliably ensure they will see the same as you did. While not relevant to the current discussion, you should do the same when you are IMing someone.

Otherwise think of all those embarrassing times you've shared an image with someone and had no idea it was something completely different on their end. Some people may not even know what you were trying to share so you can just look silly.
Wow, that's nifty. Now to download the
addon.

:231:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Since this is picture related, I just found this amazing art on pixiv
50492920_p0.png

Hong

The Strongest
Armour images and in-depth armour discussion is the most reliable way to farm Hong likes.

Hong

The Strongest
As all hope slips away, a champion approaches to peel away the darkened skies and split their ranks in one decisive strike.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Despite me not playing Dark Souls, I've always liked Ornstein's armour

Hong

The Strongest
I have an absurd stash of armour images. Generally my fascinations shift throughout the year.

Normally I'm not much of a Japanophile, but I have gained a sudden increase in love for samurai armour.

In particular, items such as the sode have a distinct large, rectangular shape. Such focus on creating large plates of armour specifically focused on the flank, even for some of the higher-ranking officers, really reflects on the resources available at the time and the kind of combat they engaged in.

See, if there is one weapon that has been grossly over-glorified, it is the katana. Structurally it is one of the worst blades ever created. If you really wanted to cut something in two, you'll be much better off looking towards Europe around that time... With even a half-decently crafted claymore or something.

It's because the Japanese had brutally horrific availability of valuable metals, so they couldn't afford to make the kind of arms and armour seen in other parts of the world. Since the metal was so valuable, they had to make the most of what they had. Thus, while katanas are not particularly strong, they are extremely well crafted on average and if they had one thing going for them, the methodology used made them really sharp.

Anyway, the katana and other weaponry, even though they kind of sucked in the grand scheme of things, were indubitably effective relative to the region where they were used and the kind of warfare that occurred. So much of the armour is just made from things like hide and bamboo... sharpness sufficed. No doubt they still shattered from parrying, counters, and deliberately attempts at breakage, but that's just the nature of the beast.

Anyway it's just really cool how the way armour was designed to get the most longevity relative to rank was crafted and how much you can decipher about the history, geology, beliefs, and martial arts of that region. Especially when you look at armour of a different place and a different time. You can say "Oh, they clearly didn't have to deal with such and such where they fought."

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I have an absurd stash of armour images. Generally my fascinations shift throughout the year.

Normally I'm not much of a Japanophile, but I have gained a sudden increase in love for samurai armour.

Plate armor and Smaurai armor. No wonder why you like the Mii Swordfighter so much :4pacman::4miisword:
See, if there is one weapon that has been grossly over-glorified, it is the katana. Structurally it is one of the worst blades ever created. If you really wanted to cut something in two, you'll be much better off looking towards Europe around that time... With even a half-decently crafted claymore or something.
Yeah they weren't that good combat wise, but hell do they have a great lore. Seeing as the Samurai saw Katanas as their soul, and just overall how Samurai were depicted in japanese lore, it's kinda hard to look at a Katana without thinking about the badass person that used it.
Whatever, Naginatas are cooler anyways :4metaknight:
Anyway it's just really cool how the way armour was designed to get the most longevity relative to rank was crafted and how much you can decipher about the history, geology, beliefs, and martial arts of that region. Especially when you look at armour of a different place and a different time. You can say "Oh, they clearly didn't have to deal with such and such where they fought."
Tell me about it, even today with things like bullet-proof vests and police shields.
Though it's also terrifying to think that we could get to the point where the modern era armoury across the world ends up being hazmat suits and masks.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Today I discovered that I can be very annoying as Robin.

And I love it.:oneeye:

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah they weren't that good combat wise, but hell do they have a great lore. Seeing as the Samurai saw Katanas as their soul, and just overall how Samurai were depicted in japanese lore, it's kinda hard to look at a Katana without thinking about the badass person that used it.
There's something to be envied with every set of hands that touched a katana. from minerals to blade. There's really nothing like a Japanese blacksmith... not back then, and not even now. Regardless of whether or not one shares their almost obsessive beliefs, no one can deny that such strong conviction reflects in the quality of their work.

People find it weird to hear about how often a weapon back then could be stolen over and over again, even from the dead, even over things people may see as more valuable with modern eyes... But that is because they indeed cannot fathom the sense of soul and power that the warrior believed existed back then.

In any even, certainly way cooler than the concepts of chivarly seen in other parts of the world. The better and the worse.
Tell me about it, even today with things like bullet-proof vests and police shields.
Though it's also terrifying to think that we could get to the point where the modern era armoury across the world ends up being hazmat suits and masks.
Military exoskeletons going to join the battle come 20XX. :estatic:

Top Bottom