• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
The kind of gameplay (courtesy reddit) I expect from Isaac is just so far and wide different from anything I'd see Robin doing. I imagine Psyenrgy being used to enable physical offence, where as I imagine Robin being more about controlling the battlefield.

The way I see Robin appearing in Smash 4 are numbered based on likelihood in order of most-to-least likely, with each variable being ultimate and excluding any other occurrence.

1) Robin is playable. Appropriate playable character assets, like trophies, music, etc., included.
2) Grima is an Assist Trophy, with hooded Robin appearing for the attack. Same assets are used for a trophy.
3) They touch up the Awakening model like they did for Tiki, and make a Robin trophy which contains both genders, each sporting a different weapon and pose.

That is to say, I see it being very absolute. It is very easy to see Sakurai either dismissing Robin fairly quickly, or giving Robin attention specifically because she is the only Awakening lead who is inherently unique.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So you know that that deconfirms robin? Why do the majority of these threads exist if one character's existance deconfims another?
In that case, it's a wonder that support threads for other Mario characters still exist after Rosalina's confirmation.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So there's one more thing I'm a little worried about. I brought up some of what I've mentioned here to a friend a while back, and they were still really skeptical. And they brought up a good point:

With how you can pick Robin's strongest and weakest stats at the start of a playthrough, his final stats can end up pretty varied. He can end up as anything from a tank mage to a physical glass cannon to a whole lot in between. How could you implement that in Smash? More specifically, would the idea that players might not be able to play "their version" of Robin be a turn off for the developers?

I mean, personally, I'd be fine with them sticking to the "canon" +HP -Luck, but I can't speak for anyone other than myself. And we know there's some kind of equipment in the game, but would that be enough? It's a dilemma.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I don't think FE will get 4 spots. If it does then that's good, but I'm not expecting more than 3 since FE isn't that popular.
So there's one more thing I'm a little worried about. I brought up some of what I've mentioned here to a friend a while back, and they were still really skeptical. And they brought up a good point:

With how you can pick Robin's strongest and weakest stats at the start of a playthrough, his final stats can end up pretty varied. He can end up as anything from a tank mage to a physical glass cannon to a whole lot in between. How could you implement that in Smash? More specifically, would the idea that players might not be able to play "their version" of Robin be a turn off for the developers?

I mean, personally, I'd be fine with them sticking to the "canon" +HP -Luck, but I can't speak for anyone other than myself. And we know there's some kind of equipment in the game, but would that be enough? It's a dilemma.
That would depend on how Robin would be executed. The way I see it, Robin is going to remain a tactician rather than any class he/she chooses to be. I don't see a need to implement every since aspect of his/her customization. And as a tactician, you will only be wielding both a sword and magic, so I don't see a need to choose whether or not you want +MAG/-STR +SPD/-LUK all that.

Hong

The Strongest

It doesn't matter for the same reason why Ike's stats never mattered. Robin is thematically a tome wielder, and she uses one in the cutscenes.

Plus people generally over-think things like that. This is a fighting game, after all. All they care about is what Robin can do differently from other characters, and that would be what decides how she fights.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

FE stats don't even transition to Smash well. There're just too many. All that matters is the perceived playstyle of a Mage type character.

Also, do people seriously get rid of luck? Criticals are where it's at. I generally ditch HP in favor of Speed.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Also, do people seriously get rid of luck? Criticals are where it's at. I generally ditch HP in favor of Speed.
Luck doesn't help your critical rate, though. Just reduces enemy critical rate.

The best con is either HP or Luck, depending. The former if you are not planning to get the Limit Break from DLC, the latter if you will and can have the option of 50 Luck regardless.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
FE stats don't even transition to Smash well. There're just too many. All that matters is the perceived playstyle of a Mage type character.
There are aspects of that playstyle that can vary, though. Based on Robin's asset and flaw in a given playthrough, physical attacks could be stronger and magic ones weaker, or vice versa. Or what about the mobility of a Robin with a Speed asset versus one with a Speed flaw that focused more on tanking hits? That'd affect how Robin played in Smash...and not being able to do that is a potential issue that I hope wasn't a deal breaker for the dev team.

It doesn't matter for the same reason why Ike's stats never mattered. Robin is thematically a tome wielder, and she uses one in the cutscenes.
That's a good point, though. They gave Ike a tank build despite taking his appearance from a game where he wasn't actually a tank. We can only hope they'll think the fans wouldn't mind if Robin had a few creative liberties taken...

Plus people generally over-think things like that. This is a fighting game, after all. All they care about is what Robin can do differently from other characters, and that would be what decides how she fights.
I overthink everything already. Might as well put it to good use, right? >_>

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
We can only hope they'll think the fans wouldn't mind if Robin had a few creative liberties taken...
I'm pretty sure the only way I wouldn't like how Robin would be portaited in Smash is if he was a Heron Laguz or Taguel or something.
And I highly doubt this will happen. Unless Sakurai has a team of ninjas reading these forums for intel and feels especially trolly today.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I just actually thought of something. Considering one of Robin's alt colour would have most likely been her having blue hair and that she wields a sword... No matter what, a blue haired sword-user would have been guaranteed to be in!:troll:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Thought about that.

Is it too far? On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, he gets Mega Man's helmet.
Well, Kirby basicly turns into a walking helmet when he eats Samus.I doubt a hood would be too much.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
To those of you questioning stats, have you forgotten about the equipment that can affect power over speed, etc..? If the build isn't quite what you wanted, you can use that to adjust it.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Luck doesn't help your critical rate, though. Just reduces enemy critical rate.

The best con is either HP or Luck, depending. The former if you are not planning to get the Limit Break from DLC, the latter if you will and can have the option of 50 Luck regardless.
Oh, I thought it factored in. Oh, well.

There are aspects of that playstyle that can vary, though. Based on Robin's asset and flaw in a given playthrough, physical attacks could be stronger and magic ones weaker, or vice versa. Or what about the mobility of a Robin with a Speed asset versus one with a Speed flaw that focused more on tanking hits? That'd affect how Robin played in Smash...and not being able to do that is a potential issue that I hope wasn't a deal breaker for the dev team.
Well, I meant stats like Luck, Resistance and HP don't transition well.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
But the real question is, how will we react if both jack frost and robin get in to promote smtxFire emblem?
I'd be ecstatic if we see Robin, but Jack Frost would leave me with a "Whaaaa?"

It'd be okay, though. I think Jack Frost is cute.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
For hype purposes (and because I was bored), here's some artwork of Robin:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What would your reaction have been in a hypothetical scenario where both Robin and Isaac shares a newcomer trailer?
Double Robin!!!

Well, I'd be ecstatic about Robin, and relatively indifferent about Isaac. I guess Isaac is a good addition to the roster, though, so I'd be pretty satisfied overall.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
What would your reaction have been in a hypothetical scenario where both Robin and Isaac shares a newcomer trailer?
Sounds pretty awesome. Isaac can handle the earth magic and Robin can handle... all the other elements. Sounds like a good trailer, though.

Top Bottom