• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Not gonna lie. Now that I'm no longer a student, I actually miss taking exams and tests. There were like fun games to see how much I got right, whether they be open-ended essay questions or multiple-choice (filling in those circles felt especially empowering. Just looking at all the choices was like a mini-game in it of itself). Anyways, that's enough nostalgia for now.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
It's my first proper exam tomorrow so wish me luck! I'm slightly nervous, but I know I worked hard and hopefully it'll pay off. With that, I wish you all a pleasant night, lovely tacticians! :happysheep:
Good luck with your first proper exam! :bee: I'm sure you'll ace it and be three steps ahead of your classmates. :4robinm:

So don't worry about it. After all, a good tactician have nothing to fear. :4robinf:

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie. Now that I'm no longer a student, I actually miss taking exams and tests. There were like fun games to see how much I got right, whether they be open-ended essay questions or multiple-choice (filling in those circles felt especially empowering. Just looking at all the choices was like a mini-game in it of itself). Anyways, that's enough nostalgia for now.
I'm not going to miss it at all! Tests make me so anxious and nervous and I get upset if I don't get a good grade. x.x
I want to be done with college already.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I never had any multiple-choice exams, only long-winded essay-type ones. Can't say I miss those too much. :p

I still remember my Irish teacher's directions for the essay composition in every exam, though. He'd give us a bunch of phrases and sentences relating to an accident scene, and told us, no matter what the question asked, we should somehow turn it into a story about having an accident. So, for my Leaving Cert exam, one of the options was to write an essay about an argument... I managed to write about an argument that got so heated, that one guy ran the other down with his motorbike, and ran from there. :p
I suppose it worked, since I still remember most of the sentences he had us learn, and my Irish is still fairly decent today - good enough to get by, at least.
/barely relevant rambling

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Happy Mothers' Day, everyone! Let us show our appreciation for the awesome mothers of Fire Emblem Awakening and their equally cool and game-breaking children. :cheep:

happymothersday-fireemblem.png

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I never had any multiple-choice exams, only long-winded essay-type ones. Can't say I miss those too much. :p

I still remember my Irish teacher's directions for the essay composition in every exam, though. He'd give us a bunch of phrases and sentences relating to an accident scene, and told us, no matter what the question asked, we should somehow turn it into a story about having an accident. So, for my Leaving Cert exam, one of the options was to write an essay about an argument... I managed to write about an argument that got so heated, that one guy ran the other down with his motorbike, and ran from there. :p
I suppose it worked, since I still remember most of the sentences he had us learn, and my Irish is still fairly decent today - good enough to get by, at least.
/barely relevant rambling
Actually, now that you said that, I can't remember the last time I even had a MC test (Oh God, I'm getting old).

It sounds like your Irish teacher knew how to give a good assessment. What is a "Leaving Cert" exam by the way? A capstone final of sort?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
What is a "Leaving Cert" exam by the way? A capstone final of sort?
The Leaving Cert is the final set of exams you take upon leaving (hence the name) secondary school in Ireland (our equivalent of high school). You do about eight or nine subjects in secondary school (English, Irish, a foreign language, maths, a science subject, and other stuff like history, geography, etc.), and at the end you sit exams in each one, and your grades from those determine which college course you get out of those you applied for.

on a related note, when you Americans say "finals" in relation to exams, do you mean the final exam of your entire education (like the Leaving Cert I just described), or the final exam of a semester/year? It suggests the former to me, but it always throws me off whenever someone mentions it.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
It's always interesting to learn how other countries do things, like education for example.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The Leaving Cert is the final set of exams you take upon leaving (hence the name) secondary school in Ireland (our equivalent of high school). You do about eight or nine subjects in secondary school (English, Irish, a foreign language, maths, a science subject, and other stuff like history, geography, etc.), and at the end you sit exams in each one, and your grades from those determine which college course you get out of those you applied for.
I did Classical Studies as my fourth elective.

Got a C in Honours.

CLASSICAL STUDIES WASN'T EVEN AN OPTION IN MY SCHOOL.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP

on a related note, when you Americans say "finals" in relation to exams, do you mean the final exam of your entire education (like the Leaving Cert I just described), or the final exam of a semester/year? It suggests the former to me, but it always throws me off whenever someone mentions it.
Finals in the US usually refer to the final test for a specific course (either semester or year long). When I heard you say "leaving cert" I did assume it was a much bigger exam than your typical American finals. American secondary schools typically do not have (though it may depend on the school) a final exam for the entirety of our education. Schools may have different requirements for graduation that is all encompassing such as a project, portfolio, or exit interview but there is no nationally given exam that single-handedly determine what college classes a high schooler going to college can take.

It sounds like the Leaving Cert is a national exam in that it is consistent between different schools. Is that correct?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I did Classical Studies as my fourth elective.

Got a C in Honours.

CLASSICAL STUDIES WASN'T EVEN AN OPTION IN MY SCHOOL.
That reminds me of when I did philosophy in my first year in college. Went to like two classes in the entire year, went to the exams and wrote complete bull**** for four hours... and came out with a 70. It may have helped that I had a decent beard to stroke at the time. Instant 15% right there. :p

My school had a pretty weak choice of subjects compared to most other places. I still remember being really annoyed that Japanese was one of the languages done in other schools, but of course my school didn't do it :/ I got over 400 points in the end though (including two As at honours in tech graphics and physics), and got my course, so it worked out.

It sounds like the Leaving Cert is a national exam in that it is consistent between different schools. Is that correct?
Yep, every school does the exact same exams.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That reminds me of when I did philosophy in my first year in college. Went to like two classes in the entire year, went to the exams and wrote complete bull**** for four hours... and came out with a 70. It may have helped that I had a decent beard to stroke at the time. Instant 15% right there. :p

My school had a pretty weak choice of subjects compared to most other places. I still remember being really annoyed that Japanese was one of the languages done in other schools, but of course my school didn't do it :/ I got over 400 points in the end though (including two As at honours in tech graphics and physics), and got my course, so it worked out.
Ahaha, sounds like my Philosophy course. Except I obviously don't have facial hair. >w<;;

I have a pretty great story with regards to that class, but it might be a bit...risque for a public forum.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
So, do you guys enjoy any other fighting games asides from Smash?
Does Mugen count?:colorful: I use to play a lot of Soul Calibur, but not so much anymore...

I still think this is an awesome reference:

So, how about that wonderful Radiant Dawn voice acting?
[collapse=RD spoilers]
[/collapse]
Oh gosh, the voice acting makes me cringe so hard. :emptysheep:
like can we talk about how awful Ranulf's voice is ohmygod
Oh gosh.. I've been meaning to bring this up for the longest time in this thread. Ahaha! :laugh: ah..:cry:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That reminds me of when I did philosophy in my first year in college. Went to like two classes in the entire year, went to the exams and wrote complete bull**** for four hours... and came out with a 70. It may have helped that I had a decent beard to stroke at the time. Instant 15% right there. :p.
I'll tell you what is awesome?

Handle Bar moustaches!!!

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I love it when I use the last use of a tome/Levin sword and my opponent runs in to grab me, then they get knocked out of the grab from out of nowhere due to the book/sword hitting them.

Ahaha, sounds like my Philosophy course. Except I obviously don't have facial hair. >w<;;

I have a pretty great story with regards to that class, but it might be a bit...risque for a public forum.
You should send me that as well while you're at it

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, I found out something cool.

Robin's running Speed and Grab aren't as bad as we think.

:4link:: 2.144 secs

:4ganondorf:: 2.322 secs

:4jigglypuff:: 2.466 secs

:4robinm:: 2.44 secs

Shield :4shulk:: 3.158 secs

as you can see, while Robin's running speed isn't great, it isn't THE slowest in the game
I found out today that his Grab is actually very similar to Palutena's. Seriously. Palatine's end lag for both her standing and running grab is only about .10 seconds faster than Robin's (give or take) and her Range is barely that much better. You can test it for yourselves to see if I am wrong.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Robin's grab may not be that bad but his/her grab game isn't very good. Dthrow isn't a true combo throw bc you have to get a read off of it, uthrow has very little use, fthrow doesn't have much use besides positioning or for Thoron, and bthrow doesn't have much use besides killing at very high percents. His/her grab isn't the worst, but it isn't very good either

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Robin's grab may not be that bad but his/her grab game isn't very good. Dthrow isn't a true combo throw bc you have to get a read off of it, uthrow has very little use, fthrow doesn't have much use besides positioning or for Thoron, and bthrow doesn't have much use besides killing at very high percents. His/her grab isn't the worst, but it isn't very good either
Don't forget bout Robin's pummel as well :(. Seriously Robin's down throw and up throw makes me cry every time i use it.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Hey at least we have a good command grab that's done something which has never been in smash before; steal and recover health!

(totally not trying to make my new avi relevant or anything...)

nosferatu.jpg

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Hey guys, I found out something cool.

Robin's running Speed and Grab aren't as bad as we think.

:4link:: 2.144 secs

:4ganondorf:: 2.322 secs

:4jigglypuff:: 2.466 secs

:4robinm:: 2.44 secs

Shield :4shulk:: 3.158 secs

as you can see, while Robin's running speed isn't great, it isn't THE slowest in the game
I found out today that his Grab is actually very similar to Palutena's. Seriously. Palatine's end lag for both her standing and running grab is only about .10 seconds faster than Robin's (give or take) and her Range is barely that much better. You can test it for yourselves to see if I am wrong.
The game itself in the tips section actually states that the 3 slowest characters are Jigglypuff, Robin, and Ganondorf.

In regards to Robin's grab vs Palutena's, Palutena has more ways to set up for the grab such as jab and once she puts on lightweight it doesn't matter what her grab range and speed is. She will find you, and she will kill you off a grab combo at 80% faster than you can say "Taken."

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Nosferatu is nice at all being 16 frames but if we whiff that like 35 to 40 frames of lag that we have to stand there and look pretty while an opponent can hit us :(.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well, yeah, I guess you are right........ *sigh*

actually, yes, it is (ignoring Shulk with arts). According to Aerodrome's website, Jigglypuff is fractionally faster (0.005 speed units, to be exact).
Aw, what?! Dam it. I guess that's what I get for measuring it on an iPod
Why do we have the slowest (barely) running speed AND the the worst grab game. *deep sigh*

Don't forget bout Robin's pummel as well :(. Seriously Robin's down throw and up throw makes me cry every time i use it.
Yeah, I know the feeling.....

The game itself in the tips section actually states that the 3 slowest characters are Jigglypuff, Robin, and Ganondorf.
I didn't know that. Hm.....

In regards to Robin's grab vs Palutena's, Palutena has more ways to set up for the grab such as jab and once she puts on lightweight it doesn't matter what her grab range and speed is. She will find you, and she will kill you off a grab combo at 80% faster than you can say "Taken."
When I was talking about his Grab, I just meant his grab range and end lag for whiffing it.

Nosferatu is nice at all being 16 frames but if we whiff that like 35 to 40 frames of lag that we have to stand there and look pretty while an opponent can hit us :(.
Then don't miss ;).

D

Deleted member

Two things about Robin make me cry.
1. His running speed is terrible. It's still manageable thanks to the Tomes.
2. My god, his grab is terrible. His pummel is slow, the back throw is the only notable one, and missing a grab gives Robin a million light years to recover from.

Eh, someone made the Faker scene better.

Amazing what fans can do.
That same person did an impressive recreation for the Sonic Adventure 1 scene with Eggman.

It's my first proper exam tomorrow so wish me luck! I'm slightly nervous, but I know I worked hard and hopefully it'll pay off. With that, I wish you all a pleasant night, lovely tacticians! :happysheep:
Good luck with your exams! You'll do great! :)

It's a final of a specific class for a semester.
For example, I am taking 5 different courses. I have a separate final exam for each of these courses.
We don't have a final exam for our educational career, as far as I am aware that is.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
It features explicit references to a certain part of the male body.
Gonna take a lot more than a dong to offend me. :4dk:

Add me to the PM as well, if you please.

Chrom really loves his fish sticks.
What.

I do not go pikur pikur. That is some slander right there.

Hong

The Strongest
Robin has one of the most swag-looking bthrows, at least.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Well, yeah, I guess you are right........ *sigh*
Sorry if I was a bit pessimistic about Robin's grab game, but don't be sad about it. Take this from someone who has mained Zelda in every game: you have to work with what you have. Just because it isn't the best doesn't mean you can't do great things with what you have

Top Bottom