• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
One has to wonder, with all this school talk.

Where did Robin study? And more importantly, did he ever get scolded for throwing books at peers? :4robinm:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sorry if I was a bit pessimistic about Robin's grab game, but don't be sad about it. Take this from someone who has mained Zelda in every game: you have to work with what you have. Just because it isn't the best doesn't mean you can't do great things with what you have
But Zelda grab game isn't that bad. If you had said Brawl or Melee Link's grab, I would very much understand (it still is sort of bad in Smash 4). Though what you say is true.

*sigh*

Good thing I am main/secondary :4pit:, :4sonic: and :4littlemac:.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
When I was talking about his Grab, I just meant his grab range and end lag for whiffing it.
I know you were. But as I and a few others were stating is that there's a lot more to how good and bad a grab is than the grab itself. Palutena's grab is not good because of the grab itself but for everything else. Robin's grab is bad both because of the grab itself and the lack of reward for it, especially when compared to, let's say Luigi.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
But Zelda grab game isn't that bad. If you had said Brawl or Melee Link's grab, I would very much understand (it still is sort of bad in Smash 4). Though what you say is true.

*sigh*

Good thing I am main/secondary :4pit:, :4sonic: and :4littlemac:.
Nah you're right her grab game is really good in Smash 4. I was just talking about Zelda in general

D

Deleted member

Huh. So what determines whether or not you get accepted into university, which course you get, and so on?
The closest to what you have are the dreaded SATs and ACTs.
Getting a good score on one of those tests help colleges determine if they should accept you or not.
The SATs focus on English and Math while the ACTs focus on English, Math, Reading, and Science. Though, the ACTs are easier from what I've heard.

As for which courses that we get, that is determined from our majors and interests. For example, as a mathematics major, I only need to take one or two sciences classes. I don't need to do something like advanced biology.

Last edited by a moderator:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Huh. So what determines whether or not you get accepted into university, which course you get, and so on?
Money.

...alright, I'll be fair about it. The SAT or ACT, depending on location; your GPA; and then money.

Though, the ACTs are easier from what I've heard.
They are.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I know you were. But as I and a few others were stating is that there's a lot more to how good and bad a grab is than the grab itself. Palutena's grab is not good because of the grab itself but for everything else. Robin's grab is bad both because of the grab itself and the lack of reward for it, especially when compared to, let's say Luigi.
Yeah, I knew. Though it does annoy me that some many characters have throw options and then others like Link and Robin get nothing.

Nah you're right her grab game is really good in Smash 4. I was just talking about Zelda in general
I don't think Zelda's actually that bad. Particularly in Smash 4.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Each university (or in some cases a group of university like the University of California schools) has its own application and can choose who gets into their school based on a number of factors such as grades, extracurriculars, recommendations, what courses you take in high school, personal statements, etc. When you get into college or university, you pick all of your classes though every school and every major/specialization in that school have a list of required courses though there is A LOT of freedom for electives.

One national exam we do have for high schoolers that is factored into college admissions is the SAT. But that test only assess reading, writing, and math (it's a crappy test by the way) and it's not administered by the school. You have to go to a center or something to take it. It's also not the end all or be all. For example, a low score on it doesn't necessary mean you won't get into a top school.

Edit: I forgot. Another important national exam is the AP (Advance Placement) which is based on a single course (i.e. AP Biology, AP Literature and Composition, etc.). Do well on them and a college may waive a class for you. I actually graduated from college a year early because of all of my APs.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Yay for county council grants paying all my college fees, then. I didn't even need to take out a single loan during my time in college.

Over here, your six highest grades from the leaving cert are converted into "points", up to a maximum of 600 (100 points for between 90-100% at higher level, 90 for 85-90%, 85 for 80-84%, and so on down to 40%, below which you fail). Early in your final year, you choose a bunch of courses from different colleges, and order them in preference. The one highest on the list that you get enough points for is the course that's offered to you (all lower ones are not offered, regardless of whether you actually qualify for them, so lots of people actually miss out on courses they want, by ranking them too low in preference).

It's actually a really bad system in practice, as it puts too much emphasis on your ability to cram for the final exams. They've been talking about changing it for years, but of course nothing much ever happens.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Zelda isn't bad...

You're totally right though. She's a solid character in this game but...compared to everyone else? There's a ton of better characters than her
she might be bad compared to everyone else, but she's still the most fabulous character of the cast

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I've only taken the ACTs and even then, they were brutal. I was studying rather hard for them and I burned out.
Rough. You at least do aight on the test?

Also
I actually think Mii Swordfighter is fantastic.
Not wanting to doubt you chief but I can't even visualize this. Got any examples?

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Yay for county council grants paying all my college fees, then. I didn't even need to take out a single loan during my time in college.

Over here, your six highest grades from the leaving cert are converted into "points", up to a maximum of 600 (100 points for between 90-100% at higher level, 90 for 85-90%, 85 for 80-84%, and so on down to 40%, below which you fail). Early in your final year, you choose a bunch of courses from different colleges, and order them in preference. The one highest on the list that you get enough points for is the course that's offered to you (all lower ones are not offered, regardless of whether you actually qualify for them, so lots of people actually miss out on courses they want, by ranking them too low in preference).

It's actually a really bad system in practice, as it puts too much emphasis on your ability to cram for the final exams. They've been talking about changing it for years, but of course nothing much ever happens.
Life without student debt huh? I wonder what's that like. There were actually these three months when, although I did my monthly payments, my debt actually increased because of interest. So I have been making extra payments every month or two ever since. Le sigh. May my experience serve as a lesson to all of you graduating from college soon: make extra payments on your debt if possible.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Zelda isn't bad...

You're totally right though. She's a solid character in this game but...compared to everyone else? There's a ton of better characters than her
*shrugs* I still think she is good. Though you have a point.

Look on the bright side.

She's not Mii Swordsman. :cheep:
Ouch. That was harsh man! :sadsheep:

Also
*High Fives*
You're freaking awesome Hong XD. Mii Swordsman is BOSS!

Hong

The Strongest
Not wanting to doubt you chief but I can't even visualize this. Got any examples?
Nope, but s/he is basically like Melee Young Link without bombs and two rather safe aerials.

I think Swordfighter sucks when you actually want to go in, though.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Oh we're talking about Zelda?

I'd totally main her if she had an Ilia alt., not gonna lie. So glad she got one in Hyrule Warriors. <3

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Also
You're just saying that because of the plate armor :denzel:
But seriously Swordfighter gets the best costumes.
It was the most swag-looking Bthrow until Mewtwo arrived with his B(itch, please)throw.
:4metaknight: Though
He teleports you into another dimension just to hit you in this one anyways.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Oh Suikoden II has some strategy segments kinda like those in Fire Emblem...and they just made me wish I was playing FE instead, not displaying enemy hitpoints and playing no music makes them really dull.
There's also a town called "Green Hill", coincidence? I think not :4sonic:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Skyward Sword Zelda is best Zelda. I was genuinely disappointed that her appearance in Smash 4 wasn't based off that game, nor was that design even acknowledged anywhere (as far as I can recall).

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Well I'm jelly now. :132:

Anyway, the SAT and ACT aren't much better. In fact honestly our whole educational system is one exam prep after another, at least on the public side.

Yes. I got a 22 or a 23. I just... ugh. I still have some scars from that exam.
...I feel like I shouldn't relate my score.

Nope, but s/he is basically like Melee Young Link without bombs and two rather safe aerials.

I'm a Pika, chief. Going in is all I know.

Hong

The Strongest
Hello, Hong! :cheep:

You're just saying that because of the plate armor :denzel:
But seriously Swordfighter gets the best costumes.
I just remember when I made a bunch of gag Miis to troll my friends over netplay. They were like parodies of the existing cast, like "Maero" and "Lugee". I gave them all terrible special, annoying, cheesy special moves in purpose with zero intentions on winning.

Then came "Raw Ben", a horrible parody of our beloved Tactician. What was supposed to be a terrible, ineffective, gag character actually turned out to be pretty strong when I played really lame... killing people when we least expected. From that moment, I began to play Mii Swordfighter locally as well. I main Link in 64 and I find a lot of the same fundamentals just feel natural for some reason.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP

Anyway, the SAT and ACT aren't much better. In fact honestly our whole educational system is one exam prep after another, at least on the public side.

As far as national exams go, I actually think the AP's aren't bad at all. They're a lot more contained and test depth as opposed to breadth.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Well, I wouldn't say they're like Young Link, but you have a point.

The thing that actually annoys me the most with Swordfighter is their air mobility and jump heights. They're not that great to be honest. And his Up B's could do with some changes

I though all you know was spam B :troll:

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Skyward Sword Zelda is best Zelda. I was genuinely disappointed that her appearance in Smash 4 wasn't based off that game, nor was that design even acknowledged anywhere (as far as I can recall).
Maybe character wise, but honestly her outfit is so BORING
Why have pinky countrygirl Zelda when you can have badass princess in a semi armor Zelda :4zelda:

I'm sorry guys but i come to this thread hoping to FORGET about my exams!
But this discussion reminds about the thermodynamics and Physics exams i have in two days. :sadsheep:
wpyc1Ab.jpg

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Oh Suikoden II has some strategy segments kinda like those in Fire Emblem...and they just made me wish I was playing FE instead, not displaying enemy hitpoints and playing no music makes them really dull.
Someone who played Suikoden II Embarrass
Suikoden's 'tactical' battles are pretty...meh. They're just there to show big battles, I'd say. It's focus is on it's turn-based battle, anyway.
There's a proper SRPG Suikoden title for PS2, though, but it's pretty different from FE.
The bit about the music, though, is a bug that happens on US version of the game. If you play the PAL version all the music plays, including some sung segments. The US version is full of bugs, btw.:roll:

It still has one of the best storylines I've seen in a RPG.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Maybe character wise, but honestly her outfit is so BORING
Why have pinky countrygirl Zelda when you can have badass princess in a semi armor Zelda :4zelda:

I'm sorry guys but i come to this thread hoping to FORGET about my exams!
But this discussion reminds about the thermodynamics and Physics exams i have in two days. :sadsheep:
View attachment 51139
We will all still be here in two days so listen to Cardinal-sensei and go study.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I just remember when I made a bunch of gag Miis to troll my friends over netplay. They were like parodies of the existing cast, like "Maero" and "Lugee". I gave them all terrible special, annoying, cheesy special moves in purpose with zero intentions on winning.

Then came "Raw Ben", a horrible parody of our beloved Tactician. What was supposed to be a terrible, ineffective, gag character actually turned out to be pretty strong when I played really lame... killing people when we least expected. From that moment, I began to play Mii Swordfighter locally as well. I main Link in 64 and I find a lot of the same fundamentals just feel natural for some reason.
Well i once tried playing all the Miis extensively and if i can relate to something, is that i think the swordfighter's nair is great, it's like Shulk's but with less landing lag (if any).
Also the shurikens of light and chakrams make for surprisingly annoying projectiles, not so fond of the tornadoes though.
But my personal Mii of choice was gunner, simply because of that Fair.
It's just so versatile of a move, gimping, spacing, getting back on stage.
It's a shame a lot of people won't try to discover their true potential, since i doubt most people would be comfortable saying they main themselves (or Greggalina). :denzel:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait...
>Suikoden II has some strategy elements.
>Fire Emblem is a strategy game.
>Sonic only had one RPG.
>Robin is from Fire Emblem.
>The Robin boards sometimes talk about Sonic.
>There is a town in Suikoden II called Green Hill.

Because of my amazing straw grasping deducting skills and my research, the evidence is quite clear...
A Sonic SRPG is in the making!

I agree. It's a shame that it's not an alt costume in the same way Skyward Sword Link's costume was...

...I feel like you got a score that was a million times better than mine.

Can you share these Miis with us? I want to see them...

Top Bottom