• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
So something odd is going on... I post in this thread, and I get alerts for this thread.

I post in the Isaac Support Thread, and I get alerts for that thread, but not this one.

I post in this thread, I get alerts for this thread, and stop getting alerts for the Isaac Support Thread...

It's really weird...

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
What;s really weird is that the Zeldas were quiet for nearly an hour and we've gone six posts without someone else popping in here.

I usually don't see this kind of dropoff for another hour or so.

The hell is everyone?

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
One day we'll strike back at the Zeldas. It'll be glorious.

But first, we need some new weapons. As glad as I am to see them gone (which, believe me, is insanely glad), I was looking forward to dumping a bunch of Sanic OCs on the Zeldas. It's like giving the mushy broccoli paste of your school lunch away, you know?

But I'm sure we'll come up with something one day.

For now, let's just bask in our superiority as Robins:

Wait... That's not Robin... That's a Lunatic+ Psychopath...

Oh it's 2 AM, and I'm not thinking straight.

ZZzzZZzz...

@ Kotor Kotor that number between 1 and 21?

I choose 14.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was quite caught up the leak, update and Mewtwo business. Did I miss anything of note? :estatic:

:231:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Not that I saw, but I wasn't around much today either outside of reading update/patch notes the community compiled. Also got to try out our newly improved Wind Jab. Doesn't hit everyone reliably, but it's still better than it was and using it to KO Sheik is hilarious.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
They didn't nerf or buff anyone I play appreciably, so I haven't been distracted thus far.

We're gonna be a while before they stop chanting HOO HAH THE WITCH IS DEAD though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I need to get something off my chest. I trust you all, and I know that if you're going to be a :4myfriends: about it, you'll at least let me ramble on regardless.

I feel like my OCD makes it impossible to write. I had a huge, poetic treatise scrawled out here to exemplify that and demonstrate it in full splendour, but I decided to just cut it all out and start again. Not because of my compulsions, but because I don't think I need to bleed myself dry to say things as they are.

I find it extremely difficult to write. I have great ideas, I won't even pretend I don't - I'm very proud of the worlds I've created and I want people to experience them and have fun with them as I do. Yet putting those ideas on paper is the hardest thing in the world for me. There's always that tiny voice in the back of my head, the seed of doubt that roots itself in my synapses and tells me, "You can't do it; you're worthless; this is awful; you should stop trying." And while sometimes I can bite the bullet and carry on, other times it just becomes too much and I just have to stop and walk away before I explode internally. And that's not the right way to be as a writer, you have to have faith in yourself and your creations and just let them out in the world so people can let you know what it's like.

I don't like form. I'm hopeless with structure. I want to tear everything apart, I want to deconstruct the world just so I can put it back together again. I can't formulate my thoughts, I can't make them coherent - it's like grasping at a dream, and nothing presents itself to you. I must keep chasing these dreams, and hope that someday I will catch them at last.

And yet, I don't want to succeed someday. I want to succeed now. I want to write, right here and now, a story that will make the world a better place. I want to create, I want to write, but damn it, I don't know what to do to make that happen. I have to keep trying. I want to keep trying. But I don't know what to do. I just don't know. I need to write. I just have to know how to do it first.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
For now, let's just bask in our superiority as Robins:

@ Kotor Kotor that number between 1 and 21?

I choose 14.
Ah, I see St. Garon is punishing the sinner known as Diddy Kong. Meanwhile, Robin and Lucina were blessed by the holy man himself.

As for your number...... you must do battle against Rubber Soul and his stand, Yellow Temperance!

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I need to get something off my chest. I trust you all, and I know that if you're going to be a :4myfriends: about it, you'll at least let me ramble on regardless.

I feel like my OCD makes it impossible to write. I had a huge, poetic treatise scrawled out here to exemplify that and demonstrate it in full splendour, but I decided to just cut it all out and start again. Not because of my compulsions, but because I don't think I need to bleed myself dry to say things as they are.

I find it extremely difficult to write. I have great ideas, I won't even pretend I don't - I'm very proud of the worlds I've created and I want people to experience them and have fun with them as I do. Yet putting those ideas on paper is the hardest thing in the world for me. There's always that tiny voice in the back of my head, the seed of doubt that roots itself in my synapses and tells me, "You can't do it; you're worthless; this is awful; you should stop trying." And while sometimes I can bite the bullet and carry on, other times it just becomes too much and I just have to stop and walk away before I explode internally. And that's not the right way to be as a writer, you have to have faith in yourself and your creations and just let them out in the world so people can let you know what it's like.

I don't like form. I'm hopeless with structure. I want to tear everything apart, I want to deconstruct the world just so I can put it back together again. I can't formulate my thoughts, I can't make them coherent - it's like grasping at a dream, and nothing presents itself to you. I must keep chasing these dreams, and hope that someday I will catch them at last.

And yet, I don't want to succeed someday. I want to succeed now. I want to write, right here and now, a story that will make the world a better place. I want to create, I want to write, but damn it, I don't know what to do to make that happen. I have to keep trying. I want to keep trying. But I don't know what to do. I just don't know. I need to write. I just have to know how to do it first.
I know this advice might sound a bit vague, but I'd say to try your hardest to keep writing anyway.

From reading, it sounds like you're a bit self conscious with your work, which there is nothing wrong with that. You're pouring your heart, soul, sweat and tears into your writing and you might be afraid that others may not appreciate your work. But you've got plenty of people who not only support your work, but support you as a person. I really enjoyed reading your work whenever you posted them. I'd go as far to say they were some of the most interesting and captivating things I've read in a while, and I've read some books like The Book Thief and I Am the Messenger. Keep writing for the cause you want to write. Don't stop writing, no matter how much you think it's pointless. It's never pointless to share what's on your mind, heart, or whatever might be wanting to break free.

You mentioned how you wanted to make the world a better place? Well if you ask me, you improved my world a bit. You inspired to take up trying to write again. You inspired me through that piece of the girl and the abusive relationship by strengthening my desire to help people even more. Your work is important, it goes out and impacts people whether they notice it or not. It may take some time to change the whole world with your writing. If you continue to try hard enough you can change our worlds a bit more. So please Wintropy, don't stop writing. We all support you here and want to do keep doing what you love. You're a great person who's got an awesome knack for making these beautiful stories. I would hate to never be able to read something from you again.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Win m'dear, real talk minute, as someone who deals with those same nagging doubts. The most honest advice I can give is to try not to sweat it if everything isn't perfect. Sturgeon's Law applies in all cases and situations, including one's own body of work. However while that might be the most honest, nothing that can be boiled down to "don't sweat it" is ever practical. I'm not brilliant, but I can tell you what worked for me; maybe it'll at least help you some.

The best way I've found to fight that nagging doubt is output, reasoning being the more you pour into it, the better your odds of hitting that 10%. Personally I found a running challenge that requested a certain number of words per week, every week, and it helped me immensely. Came up with some real gems. Well, for me.

Essentially, write when you don't have anything to write about, to prepare for when you do. But you gotta see it as a journey, with each piece a step towards that work which'll change the world. It isn't going to be quick, I'm afraid. It's a rare writer of any sort who hits upon their masterwork early. From what I've seen of yours so far, however minimal, you've got a shot. Doubts even help there as long as you don't let them run free, because as a side-effect you'll constantly strive to improve.

You know, if you're brave enough, maybe a Smashboards branch of The Challenge wouldn't be out of the question. Prolly be good for both of us.

Anyway, if you need an ear or someone to give you a pep talk, hit me up. Supposedly I'm good at pep talks and ear-giving. Moreover, I think you're awesome. It'd be an honor.

[EDIT]: Also listen to @ Célja Célja he's a good dude.

The Zellys aren't that bad Serf.
All fairness, they really aren't. My second favorite social at present.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Wel, I don't have much advice to give considering I'm not really a writer or that creative even, but sometimes it's better to just jot down whatever is on your mind and organise it later on. As others have said, it's rather difficult if not impossible to create a masterpiece on a first try. Just like you need to refine an ore to extract the pure metal in it, it's a slow process of refining your best ideas until you hit the sweet spot.

:231:

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I feel like I should stipulate that it's not just that I'm not satisfied with my concepts, it's that my OCD more often than not makes it difficult to even muster up the enthusiasm to do it. It's not a pleasant condition to have.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Oh how I enjoy beating Robin with Mewtwo.

:awesome:
I wrecked a Mewtwo and got wrecked by another Mewtwo. It's been a morning.

I feel like I should stipulate that it's not just that I'm not satisfied with my concepts, it's that my OCD more often than not makes it difficult to even muster up the enthusiasm to do it. It's not a pleasant condition to have.
I won't lie, I'm completely unqualified to offer any advice regarding that. I'm sorry, I wish I was.

However, the pep talk offer is always open if you need it.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
There's always that tiny voice in the back of my head, the seed of doubt that roots itself in my synapses and tells me, "You can't do it; you're worthless; this is awful; you should stop trying." And while sometimes I can bite the bullet and carry on, other times it just becomes too much and I just have to stop and walk away before I explode internally. And that's not the right way to be as a writer, you have to have faith in yourself and your creations and just let them out in the world so people can let you know what it's like.

Not that I'm in any position to offer advice when this is out of my league, but this is what I usually say to myself.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I know exactly how you feel Win, but I have no idea how to fix this problem...it is really brutal.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Was just playing online against a Meta Knight as Jigglypuff in for glory. I had the alt skin with the cute little bow. :3 I could tell he wasn't expecting any effort to be put into this battle. Boi was he surprised. After the first kill, he got super peeved and went all-out. He was pushing me toward the top of the screen with his infinite Uair when I caught him with a well timed rest. Oh boi. He will never think of Jigglypuff the same way again...

As for what's actually on topic that I have to say, I still don't see how the wind jab is that much more useful. Sure you can land a few surprise kills a bit more easily, (and it deals a bit more damage of course), but how I use it in my strategy is pretty much unchanged.

But this statement stays the same: I used it before it was cool. :cool:

@The Soulless One Oh how I enjoy beating Mewtwo with Robin. :cool:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm seriously considering switching mains...:4lucina: has served me well, but I am loving everything about :4tlink: at the moment.
When I play him, I do well even with the worst controller.
Plus he's not ugly like the other Zelda characters.

The only problem is I still want to play Lucina, but if she's not my main I'm afraid she won't get the attention and practice she needs to actually be good.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
I'm seriously considering switching mains...:4lucina: has served me well, but I am loving everything about :4tlink: at the moment.
When I play him, I do well even with the worst controller.
Plus he's not ugly like the other Zelda characters.

The only problem is I still want to play Lucina, but if she's not my main I'm afraid she won't get the attention and practice she needs to actually be good.
Did Toon Link get buffs in this last update? Or is it just me? I suppose it could be that I'm only just now encountering him a lot in for glory, or it could be he's just a hard counter for Robin (I don't know if that's true, but it would make sense).

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Did Toon Link get buffs in this last update? Or is it just me? I suppose it could be that I'm only just now encountering him a lot in for glory, or it could be he's just a hard counter for Robin (I don't know if that's true, but it would make sense).
The shield now blocks Fox and Falco's lasers. That seems to be it so far.

He actually got an indirect nerf, in that he can no longer tilt or smash while holding bombs (indirect, as it's a global engine change and applies to everyone).

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I had some good old Pokemon battles against Mewtwo using:4pikachu::4greninja::4charizard:. I think :4greninja:is my favorite so far to fight Mewtwo with since I've yet to fight a Mewtwo with Robin. I'm learning that my :4pikachu: is getting rather disrespectful. He's doing a lot of off stage bair and fair gimps along with gimping people who are trying to grab the ledge and jabbing them continually.

About the item change to where you can't tilt or smash, I didn't even know that was a thing so I'm not worried that it was taken out.

I'm really noticing the wind jab change, but it almost seems like the fire jab is easier to block now. Either everyone is DIing down, or the 2nd jab doesn't keep people up high enough but I've had a few people being able to shield in between me doing Jab 2 > Fire Jab. One of them was playing Falcon so that might have had something to do with it since he's rather heavy/falls fast. Perhaps I'm just not doing it fast enough, but I'm sure the placebo will wear off.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428

I find it kind of hilarious how you wrote a long post about your inability to write and out came a text that's a very interesting and well composed read.
I totally feel you though. When I'm doing something at work or the like and I'm not 100% certain I get this voice in my head, second guessing myself at inopportune moments, making me sway from my often correct gut reaction.
I also get it when I have to make (important) choices. I take forever with choosing if I don't force myself to pick one option.
It's quite a bit different from your dilemma but I thought it was still close enough to share.

Regarding Roy and Ryu: If Roy returns, he'd better have his own moveset or be a whole lot cheaper than other DLC characters. I ain't paying for a glorified skin. At least not for both 3DS and WiiU...
Ryu on the other hand, I quite like. He'd still be far from being in my top 5 most wanted but he'd make a good fit and is quite iconic himself.
I also don't care how many third party characters we get. As long as the character is from a video game and in some form iconic I'll be fine with it.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ryu is extremely meh to me, I was never a fan of Street Fighter because of how it plays and how bland the characters were, not to mention that Ryu himself is particularly uninteresting...but I can't really be upset because his inclusion could be justified.

But still though, Jill Valentine and Amaterasu. Make it happen.

Roy however, is incredibly lame and he better be $1 at most.

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
Does the final hit of the Arcfire jab stale separately from the final hit of the Elwind jab?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So I'm watching this(optional) play my classmates are organizing, and during one of the comedy scenes, where two girls are discussing over the other's boyfriend, one of the girls complains about the boyfriend Saying that the relationship is bad because of her.

At that point, the script apparently says something that can be literally translated as "does that imbecile think that I'm the one tipping the scales here? I'll tip them on him!"

I lol'd for obvious reasons. :4robinm:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
As much as I love Roy, (he was my main in Melee, along with Pichu, Mewtwo, Dr Mario, And Young Link. Yeah. I know. ) I really don't think we need another FE character. And if your gonna give us another FE character, why a God damn clone? It just don't make no sense.

Please give us another Kirby or DK rep Sakuri. For the love of God.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Post redacted as Wintropy explained this doesn't match the case I was familiar with.

@ Wintropy Wintropy I'm not familiar with your exact situation and troubles, but... can I make a guess here? I suspect some of that might stem from cases where people would bail on you for any mistakes, causing a very 'defensive mind' where you might worry more about mistake avoidance than success. Acting to 'not lose' rather than to win, in essence?

Is that even remotely right? If so, consider the environments where you get feedback for the things you do. The ideal one isn't a 'yes man' echo chamber where everyone always tells you you're great (leading to stagnation), but also isn't operating on a 'one strike, you are out' policy either. Willing to call you on errors, but doing so as a constructive thing to give you chance to improve upon them and grow.

If this describes what you're dealing with, take heart; there are environments that offer this. Good work-places/good companies offer it, some forums do as well. Eventually that nagging voice about "this thing I made/did sucks and I suck" gives way to "so long as my mistakes aren't egregiously stupid, they'll give me a fair chance." It becomes okay to make mistakes in moderation because you show learning and improvement.

This is admittedly a very broad guess based on only knowing you for a few paragraphs, but I hope it speaks to something you can identify with and that it helps.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
With Roy possibly returning @Marthmario thought this was appropriate:
friends.jpg

Fire Emblem has come a long way, and it's clear to Nintendo that it is one their most popular franchises.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ Wintropy Wintropy I'm not familiar with your exact situation and troubles, but... can I make a guess here? I suspect some of that might stem from cases where people would bail on you for any mistakes, causing a very 'defensive mind' where you might worry more about mistake avoidance than success. Acting to 'not lose' rather than to win, in essence?

Is that even remotely right? If so, consider the environments where you get feedback for the things you do. The ideal one isn't a 'yes man' echo chamber where everyone always tells you you're great (leading to stagnation), but also isn't operating on a 'one strike, you are out' policy either. Willing to call you on errors, but doing so as a constructive thing to give you chance to improve upon them and grow.

If this describes what you're dealing with, take heart; there are environments that offer this. Good work-places/good companies offer it, some forums do as well. Eventually that nagging voice about "this thing I made/did sucks and I suck" gives way to "so long as my mistakes aren't egregiously stupid, they'll give me a fair chance." It becomes okay to make mistakes in moderation because you show learning and improvement.

This is admittedly a very broad guess based on only knowing you for a few paragraphs, but I hope it speaks to something you can identify with and that it helps.
Good guess, but nope.

It's really because, in my OCD paradigm, I divide things based on "bad things" and "good things". I have to avoid bad things and good things are causes for celebration; thus I get anxious if I encounter a bad thing and have to take steps to correct it, and a good thing reaffirms my confidence. It's totally arbitrary and irrational, but that's how it's always been for me.

An example would be finding a penny: I collect pennies that I find on the ground, but it depends on which way they're facing. It has to be heads-up if I'm going to keep it, and I carry a penny with me at all times that I use as a basis for determining if I ought to do something - if it comes up heads, it means it's okay to do.*

* Before anybody says anything, yes, just like Two-Face.

With my writing, I'm always afraid I'll slip up and somehow get the notion that something I do is associated with a bad thing, or will become a bad thing; so I consciously avoid doing it so I don't have to go through the frustration of scrapping it altogether. On the other hand, sometimes something I write becomes associated with a good thing, or itself becomes a good thing - this can lead to be excessively focusing on that particular element, often to the detriment of variety in my work.

To clarify, I'd say 99% of things in my life are neutral: it's a very, very small subset of things that falls into my OCD paradigm, but I'm always consciously alert for such things. It's why I'm afraid to write something in case I don't like it or associate it with negative emotions, which, as an OCD sufferer, are very difficult to dissuade. On the other hand, I cling onto good things and try to optimise my daily routine with things that I know will either improve or at least sate my OCD tendencies. I'm taking steps to address this, but right now, it's making my career as an aspiring writer very difficult. And that's that~

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Good guess, but nope.

It's really because, in my OCD paradigm, I divide things based on "bad things" and "good things". I have to avoid bad things and good things are causes for celebration; thus I get anxious if I encounter a bad thing and have to take steps to correct it, and a good thing reaffirms my confidence. It's totally arbitrary and irrational, but that's how it's always been for me.

An example would be finding a penny: I collect pennies that I find on the ground, but it depends on which way they're facing. It has to be heads-up if I'm going to keep it, and I carry a penny with me at all times that I use as a basis for determining if I ought to do something - if it comes up heads, it means it's okay to do.*

* Before anybody says anything, yes, just like Two-Face.

With my writing, I'm always afraid I'll slip up and somehow get the notion that something I do is associated with a bad thing, or will become a bad thing; so I consciously avoid doing it so I don't have to go through the frustration of scrapping it altogether. On the other hand, sometimes something I write becomes associated with a good thing, or itself becomes a good thing - this can lead to be excessively focusing on that particular element, often to the detriment of variety in my work.

To clarify, I'd say 99% of things in my life are neutral: it's a very, very small subset of things that falls into my OCD paradigm, but I'm always consciously alert for such things. It's why I'm afraid to write something in case I don't like it or associate it with negative emotions, which, as an OCD sufferer, are very difficult to dissuade. On the other hand, I cling onto good things and try to optimise my daily routine with things that I know will either improve or at least sate my OCD tendencies. I'm taking steps to address this, but right now, it's making my career as an aspiring writer very difficult. And that's that~
Must be tough, I don't have any real advice (and I am not good with words) but best of luck with your writing. Everyone has a time when they want do things that can go outside their comfort zones, even if for some people the things go outside their comfort zones much farther than others.

Top Bottom