• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Weeman

Smash Crusader
My brother is a spitting image of Mac's Super Punch-Out!! alt, and even has the jersey, shorts, and gloves to match. I just need to get my Robin cosplay going so we just screw around and have real-live fake Smash matches at tournaments and cons and such.
YOU HAVE WHITE HAIR??!!

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Just throwing this out there: I just watched the GameXplain analysis for SMT X FE and I've completely changed my view on it now. It looks amazing and I can't wait to buy it. Don't base your opinion off of seeing something only one time, guys. I'm so glad I watched that analysis because I probably would have ignored the game otherwise
I'm pleased to hear you say that considering it's done something similar for me as well. I was interested after seeing the trailer, even excited, but now that I've seen the analysis, it's got me quite hyped for the game! Looks amazing and I'm glad I didn't base my opinion off of seeing something only one time, even though I understand why many people did. It's great to see that your view on the game has now changed. :) Now I won't be alone in my hype for the game. :')

@ Moydow Moydow :roll:

@ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9 , indeed, I will continue to follow notices about this. even if the chances of me actually playing it is extremely slim, even if I was completely hyped, 'cause no Wii U
Even if the first trailer is important for first impressions, it shouldn't be seen as the final game, in no way.
I completely agree, Lady Elezir. Even though the first trailer should have set the tone for the game in way that pleased both SMT and FE fans, it shouldn't be seen as what the whole game will be. As always, your wise words of wisdom make me fall deeper in love you with you. <3

Completely irrelevant to everything we're talking about but this just popped up in my Facebook news feed:

"Of course you can."
/Engage the Enemy starts playing

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
What a hype song to listen to before I go to bed. Listening to this inspired me to change my icon back to Fiora, my favorite character. Engage the Enemy always makes me think of her~ @ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu Just a quick fyi, I know you want to play Xenoblade so do nooooot look up Fiora no matter what. You'll probably find a huge spoiler and I wouldn't want it being ruined for you

Well, goodnight guys! Before I go, here's an amazing live performance of Engage the Enemy:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
What a hype song to listen to before I go to bed. Listening to this inspired me to change my icon back to Fiora, my favorite character. Engage the Enemy always makes me think of her~ @ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu Just a quick fyi, I know you want to play Xenoblade so do nooooot look up Fiora no matter what. You'll probably find a huge spoiler and I wouldn't want it being ruined for you

Well, goodnight guys! Before I go, here's an amazing live performance of Engage the Enemy:
Thanks for the warning. I'm getting the game next weekend.:p

I'm intentionally avoiding looking up anything to do with Xenoblade right now. I have been warned that not everyone is as kind at hiding their spoilers. Once I beat the game, though, I'll go on a fan art finding spree.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So occured to me acouple of days ago that with the "Mario Bros" series of Amiibos, the chances of getting a Smash Bros Yoshi is probably pretty low. EB's comp shows they're discontinued now, yay.

Lucked out, found someone online not too far from me that's selling their collection off (90 bucks for Little Mac, the hell!?) but only wants 25 for Yoshi (was 15-18 in store) so (hopefully!) getting that one.
He got back to me today, had actually sold it last week just hadn't updated his add :urg:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I like Phantasia for Nostalgia purposes, as it was the first Tales of game I played.
Aside that, Symphonia as you mentioned is pretty good, and Tales of the Abyss was simply divine, imo.
I did play Destiny, too, but it was just "ok" for me;
I didn't like Legendia, Innocence and Tempest at all, though.:roll:

:sadsheep:I wanted to play Vesperia, but no console or emulator for that one.
Vesperia is a fun one. It doesn't have as strong of a story compared to Abyss, but the cast and gameplay are a bit better imo. It also helps that they have voice acting for the skits which I got spoiled on. Only frustrating thing is that there's a lot of cut content from the US version compared to the Japanese version. They got two additional party members and new mystic artes.

Shaymikyu

I was going to say @ Kotor Kotor , but I know you've seen this already.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Welp, I should be getting Xenoblade Chronicles 3D today, and hopefully here soon, which will be my first time playing Xenoblade Chronicles.

Shaymikyu

Welp, I should be getting Xenoblade Chronicles 3D today, and hopefully here soon, which will be my first time playing Xenoblade Chronicles.
Enjoy.:happysheep: I still have to wait another week for insanely dumb reasons.:cry:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I think this sums up my opinion as well. I much prefer actually being in control of your character, instead of just picking set actions and watching them carry it out.

I suppose FE is like that too, but I find that the strategy element adds enough to it to make it interesting. Also, I don't really get as much of a sense of danger in an RPG where HP numbers run into the thousands, but attacks only do a fraction of that in damage, but in FE there's always the possibility of a critical hit that will kill your character dead in a single strike, and render all your hard work raising that unit void.
Yeah the strategy aspect of Fire Emblem makes it much more enjoyable in my opinion. But for me it's really the characters and the story that are drawing me in to Awakening. I love seeing this massive cast of diverse characters playing off of each other. I love getting to know them, learning about their personalities, their quirks, their own stories and pasts, and their hopes and dreams for the future! Like Lon'Qu being this big, strong, silent type, but he's also afraid of girls. Or Cordelia not liking being called a "genius" because it reminds her of her fallen comrades who gave their lives for hers. And yeah I know some people hate the fact that the game is basically a "Shipping Simulator," but I think it can be kind of sweet. Yes they can be pretty forced, especially if you grind relationships, which sounds incredibly dirty, but I find it really cool to see how these characters relationships will develop from just acquaintances, to fire-forged friends, to perhaps something more. I don't mind the marriages either, but then again I'm a sucker for schmaltz. Okay, I think that's all I wanted to say.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I suppose FE is like that too, but I find that the strategy element adds enough to it to make it interesting. Also, I don't really get as much of a sense of danger in an RPG where HP numbers run into the thousands, but attacks only do a fraction of that in damage, but in FE there's always the possibility of a critical hit that will kill your character dead in a single strike, and render all your hard work raising that unit void.
Only bad RPGs have it to where characters have HP in the thousands and only have attacks do a fraction of that to them. Most good RPGs will either have the playable characters/classes have HP in the thousands but still take damage to where it isn't unreasonable (like taking damage in the thousands themselves wouldn't be to uncommon and stuff like that) or be more reasonable in the HP department (like only a few characters/classes will be able to even get into just the 1000 territory and very unlikely to get into the 2000 territory aside from, *maybe*, like one character/class or you just can't go into 1000 territory).

Etrian Odyssey is the prime example, imo, of a more traditional, play-style based anyway, turn based RPG done fantastically. You can't even have HP go pass 999 and like, generally, only one class in the games has a reasonably easy time of getting to that and you can still take damage in the 100-200 range easily. It ain't no picnic, unless you are actually playing picnic mode in Untold.

Still, you would probably enjoy Dark Souls a lot since it is a ARPG with really brutal gameplay.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Awesome! I truly hope you enjoy it! ^w^ It's one of my favourite games of all time and I hope you see why through your own experiences. :3

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
Remind me to never come into this thread unprepared...
Anyways, pay no mind to that. I just came by to share my OTP in Smash. I cri evry teim :troll:

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink

Now that we have a better look at the designs for the new Avatar/My Unit, I have to say, they've grown on me. I initially didn't like the default male-Kamui look when I saw just the shoulder-shot, but the full design I think complements how he looks very nicely. Several analysts have noted the bare-feet. They do seem like they'll be a plot-point since they stick out a lot. Then again, maybe the devs just wanted to acknowledge that this game will actually have feet.

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771

Now that we have a better look at the designs for the new Avatar/My Unit, I have to say, they've grown on me. I initially didn't like the default male-Kamui look when I saw just the shoulder-shot, but the full design I think complements how he looks very nicely. Several analysts have noted the bare-feet. They do seem like they'll be a plot-point since they stick out a lot. Then again, maybe the devs just wanted to acknowledge that this game will actually have feet.
Well maybe, but then again someone pointed out how Female MU seems to have two left feet.
I like the designs, but I kind of want to see how things play out first.

Shaymikyu

Yeah the strategy aspect of Fire Emblem makes it much more enjoyable in my opinion. But for me it's really the characters and the story that are drawing me in to Awakening. I love seeing this massive cast of diverse characters playing off of each other. I love getting to know them, learning about their personalities, their quirks, their own stories and pasts, and their hopes and dreams for the future! Like Lon'Qu being this big, strong, silent type, but he's also afraid of girls. Or Cordelia not liking being called a "genius" because it reminds her of her fallen comrades who gave their lives for hers. And yeah I know some people hate the fact that the game is basically a "Shipping Simulator," but I think it can be kind of sweet. Yes they can be pretty forced, especially if you grind relationships, which sounds incredibly dirty, but I find it really cool to see how these characters relationships will develop from just acquaintances, to fire-forged friends, to perhaps something more. I don't mind the marriages either, but then again I'm a sucker for schmaltz. Okay, I think that's all I wanted to say.
Honestly, what really won me over in Awakening was the supports, romantic or otherwise. I love when seemingly straightforward characters are fleshed out, and I love how you slowly find out more about them with each support. I'm hoping the If supports are quality, too.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Honestly, what really won me over in Awakening was the supports, romantic or otherwise. I love when seemingly straightforward characters are fleshed out, and I love how you slowly find out more about them with each support. I'm hoping the If supports are quality, too.
Yes, the supports did an excellent job of fleshing out everyone's personalities and making them more relatable and "human."

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Some supports are just plain done wrong or awkward, though.

Say, Cherche's with :4robinm:.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well XC's battle system is... interesting...

I'm not to fond of the auto-attacking thing to be perfectly honest. It makes me feel less in control then I like. I know TLS technically had this as well but at least there it was optional and I was able to put on manual attacking but XC doesn't seem to have that option. It's not a deal break or anything though, I just don't like the feeling of less control.

Otherwise I have no other real gripes so far but I'm also not that far into the game, like just got to a place called Colony 9.

Oh and is there any reason to hang on to monster material stuff from their chests when defeated or am I ok selling that stuff for money?

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Some supports are just plain done wrong or awkward, though.

Say, Cherche's with :4robinm:.
I didn't say they were all good. With so many supports, some are bound to be duds. I meant that most of the ones I've done have impressed me and have given me more insight into the characters (Cherche and Lon'qu, Libra and Tharja, Lucina and her sibling, Sumia and either Robin, etc.) or just plain entertained me (Male Morgan and Owain, Tiki and Female Robin, Gerome and Nah, etc.).

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Oh and is there any reason to hang on to monster material stuff from their chests when defeated or am I ok selling that stuff for money?
Most side quests involve collecting numbers of certain materials, so if you hold on to them, you'll have a head start on some of those, including one huge one (runs most of the length of the game) that you come to about 15-20 hours in. Other than that, they're pretty useless (and you can only carry so many of them, so you'll need to sell/drop some eventually).

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'd honestly rather just see limited supports come back, as in not every, well just about any way, character can support with every other character of the opposite gender + some more, ala PoR/GBA games. Quality > quantity. I do like how Awakening allowed you go to A support with every available support though with only one having an S support but I'd rather see that dynamic go pass marriage and onto platonic stuff and the like as well mixed in there along with the more romantic stuff.

Shaymikyu

As long as supports aren't a total pain in the rear to do like in FE7, I am open to anything, even if they limit supports or remove marriage (I'd rather them not, but it's not a game breaker by ANY means for me).

Top Bottom