• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
it's time to wreck all of these crazy shippers beloved features

and please no more playable
( @ Weeman Weeman ) throughout the same game/story arc, at least not ones that were just born
Do you honestly think getting rid of S Supports will stop the shippers?:smirk:

Hong

The Strongest
*some of you will end up seeing this wall of text twice but much like a certain Lockdown I don't care and its related*

So...I did my first ever Smash tournament today. A small scale one, but a tournament nonetheless. How'd it go, you ask?

Decent.

Out of 25 singles entrants, I placed 10th running solo-Bowser. Double elimination.

The opponents were like For Glory matches; you struggle with some, you plow through others, which isn't surprisng considering that very few good players are around here. Characters I fought against included Meta Knight, Marth, Kirby, Shulk, Dedede, Donkey Kong, Dr Mario, Pittoo, Palutena and Link, plus some others.

I had some ease getting through the Dr Mario, Pittoo and Kirby players. Narrowly escaped getting sent to losers bracket from both Shulk and Dedede. When I did get knocked to losers, it was by Meta Knight.

I fought my way through losers, knocking out the DK, Link and Palutena players. Then that one match came, where I almost got knocked out myself.

A Robin.

Whoever was playing that Robin must have studied Raziek's guide since she(the player) was using nairplanes a lot and constantly keeping me guessing. Easily the most tense match of the entire gig for me. We tied at one point 1-1, but through sheer luck I managed to clutch that third match through a lucky dair spike on Pyrosphere Omega. A Robin had never given me that much trouble before, and that made the win all the better.

Unfortunately, my streak through losers was stopped by a Lucario after bashing through a Pac-Man next set. I sat at the aforementioned 10th place, not bad for my first try. I stayed to watch the wrap-up, culminating in a Captain Falcon taking first, Sonic taking second, and a Diddy of all things taking third.

Despite losing, I enjoyed myself here. First time I've had legitimate competition in months due to no Wii U yet. The players were all friendly and talkative, and when I lost, I was congratulated by several(who were rooting for me) for making it that far with Bowser, since I was the only one using him. The same Robin user who almost knocked me out asked if I was on SmashBoards, leading to an exchange of SB and Skype usernames, though she's asked for me to reserve discretion about it given she's shy.

And from now on, I plan to attend as many tournaments as I can. They're fun even wi the fierce competition for the prize. Might even make a name for myself in time.
Aw, so glad you enjoyed yourself @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A ^~^.

I've been a competitive gamer since I was around eleven years of age, and as someone who has dabbled in everything, I can say there's nothing out there like the Smash community. They are intense, they are lively, they can be immensely salty... but overall they are also incredibly welcoming and eager to take people under wing. Usually you only get this kind of atmosphere with small scenes like KI or anime fighters, yet here we are: We are large, and our legacy is long, and yet the community IMO is only getting better since its inception.

I'm so glad you intend to attend more. I like you and I think you have a lot to offer as a person. Thanks for sharing your story.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Do you honestly think getting rid of S Supports will stop the shippers?:smirk:
not a chance, but at least the game will not be as infamous as Awakening of being a shipping simulator, can't say I was content with one of my favorite series being reduced to that (although admittedly a lot might have just used it as a joke). I don't really hate the marriage system, but as Hong said, I think it's more effective how the GBA games handled it, being more believable and kind of rewarding.
Also, more cute elephant gifs, please.:happysheep:

:231:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
By the way LIQUID12A LIQUID12A may i ask where was the tournament held? I myself have been trying to attend some, but most are usually held very far away from where i live, maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. (Assuming the tournament was in México).

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

not a chance, but at least the game will not be as infamous as Awakening of being a shipping simulator, can't say I was content with one of my favorite series being reduced to that (although admittedly a lot might have just used it as a joke). I don't really hate the marriage system, but as Hong said, I think it's more effective how the GBA games handled it, being more believable and kind of rewarding.

:231:
I don't mind more limited supports/less romantic and more platonic supports. Just as long as supports aren't as frustratingly hard to build as some of the older games, though admittedly my only older FE experience is 7. It's not even for shipping reasons- I just enjoy seeing character development and odd little friendships and the like.

And yay!:bubblebobble:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
By the way LIQUID12A LIQUID12A may i ask where was the tournament held? I myslef have been trying to attend some, but most are usually held very far away, maybe i'm just not looking good enough. (Assuming the tournament was in México).
I attended it in Estado de Mexico. Assuming that's your state, anyway.

Theres a group mentioned in the Mexico thread in the Regional Areas(iirc) subforum, but the one I competed in wasn't organized by them.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I attended it in Estado de Mexico. Assuming that's your state, anyway.

Theres a group mentioned in the Mexico thread in the Regional Areas(iirc) subforum, but the one I competed in wasn't organized by them.
I'm from D.F by the way, but i think i know where you mean, since most tournaments the group i'm following makes are indeed held in Estado.
Well damn i guess that's what i get for going to college, skool is for chumps guys, do not ever forget that :4dedede::4dedede::4dedede:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
For the most part, once again the Tellius games had my favourite pariings, whether or not they ended in marriage.

Ike and Soren
Ike and Ranulf
Ike and Elincia (THERE I SAID IT)
Mia and Ilyana
Heather and Nephenee
Mist and Boyd
Mist and Jill
Jill and Haar
etc.

If you want to go back, you have Rickard and Julian, Seliph and Lana or Larcei, Lyn and Florina, Ephraim and Eirika (DEAL WITH IT), just to name a few. Honestly some pairings in Awakening I don't mind, even if they are not always supported. Examples include Kjelle and Severa, Gerome and Inigo, Cherche and Gregor, and Chrom with male Robin. With that last one, I find the support conversation to be more fulfilling than the ones with female Robin. :[

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't mind more limited supports/less romantic and more platonic supports. Just as long as supports aren't as frustratingly hard to build as some of the older games, though admittedly my only older FE experience is 7. It's not even for shipping reasons- I just enjoy seeing character development and odd little friendships and the like.

And yay!:bubblebobble:
I totally forgot how much of a pain it was to build supports in the GBA trilogy, maybe because I just never even ended bothering purposely building them. I guess that's another reason why Path of Radiance is my favorite, love the supports and support system in that game.
And elephants gif hype

Shaymikyu

While I've obviously tried a lot of pairings in Awakening and like most of the ones I've tried, there are only a few I actively support.

M!Morgan/Cynthia (also my overall FE OTP)
Gregor/Miriel
Ricken/Nowi
Henry/Lissa
Lon'qu/Cherche
Virion/Olivia
Libra/Tharja
Chrom/F!Robin (sorry)
Yarne/F!Robin

And for impossible-to-marry/support ones:
Chrom/Panne
F!Robin/Sumia
Kjelle/Severa
M!Morgan/Owain (when not cousins)
F!Robin/Cordelia

As for FE7, while I have yet to achieve a support, I like Ninian/Eliwood, Hector/Lyn, and Guy/Priscilla. Oh, and Lyn/Florina, because seriously, they're cute.
EDIT:
I totally forgot how much of a pain it was to build supports in the GBA trilogy, maybe because I just never even ended bothering purposely building them. I guess that's another reason why Path of Radiance is my favorite, love the supports and support system in that game.
And elephants gif hype

I hope PoR is released again in some form one day so I can play it.:sadeyes: It got me interested in FE, but I never got to play it.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't really care how the Support mechanic gets done.

I never really used it in FE games besides RD (and this was really only because how of how easy it was to build support in this game that it generally happened without me trying) and Awakening as I can just read up on support convos instead and what end game message they get, if any.

And the only real pairing I truly support beyond just liking is me x Olivia or Tiki or Anna or Aversa or... uhm... I really need a fifth one

Hong

The Strongest
I don't have any elephant gifs, but I have a cool elephant fact:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm probably too dense and...ignorant, for lack of a better word, to really notice possible trays of romantic love between couples of the same gender unless it's really obvious. That being said, I did feel there was a stronger bond than usual friendship between Lyn and Florina and Ike and Soren, and given (I think) these 2 cases have special endings from reaching an A support, that might have been what they were going for.
Mia and Ilyana

there's too much cute fanart from these 2 together

I hope PoR is released again in some form one day so I can play it.:sadeyes: It got me interested in FE, but I never got to play it.
the Tellius saga needs a serious digital rerelease or HD pack to make it more accessible, probably one of the few games that really need such treatment in this generation of remasters everywhere
I was going to put an elephant gif here but the one I was going to use I could not copy, shucks will come with more later

also
/ on Lon'qu x Cherche

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm curious and i would like to ask you guys something.
I would like to know, what games have you guys played recently that you liked or simply stood out to you and would like to talk about? (That you haven't played before).
I myself finally was able to find this little sucker for the PS2 a decent price
descarga (13).jpg

And i must say i've been enjoying it quite a lot, it has way less commodities than SMT IV, but man is it more satyisfying because of that. I think any RPG fan should try this one out, even if it means emulating, i do think is great. Oh and the music is (unsurprisingly) really good as well.

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
As long as support aren't done like they were in RD, I'm fine with it.

This is no support conversation for me.
Also, in this one in particular at least the answer matches what Boyd says.
There were a lot of moment in which they didn't even make sense, what with almost all the dialogues being reusable.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't have any elephant gifs, but I have a cool elephant fact:

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or feel bad for this post :054:
I would like to know, what games have you guys played recently that you liked or simply stood out to you and would like to talk about? (That you haven't played before).
I'm enjoying Breath of Fire IV quite a bit myself, might be the first RPG on the PS1 I truly love
@ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
*some of you will end up seeing this wall of text twice but much like a certain Lockdown I don't care and its related*

So...I did my first ever Smash tournament today. A small scale one, but a tournament nonetheless. How'd it go, you ask?

Decent.

Out of 25 singles entrants, I placed 10th running solo-Bowser. Double elimination.

The opponents were like For Glory matches; you struggle with some, you plow through others, which isn't surprisng considering that very few good players are around here. Characters I fought against included Meta Knight, Marth, Kirby, Shulk, Dedede, Donkey Kong, Dr Mario, Pittoo, Palutena and Link, plus some others.

I had some ease getting through the Dr Mario, Pittoo and Kirby players. Narrowly escaped getting sent to losers bracket from both Shulk and Dedede. When I did get knocked to losers, it was by Meta Knight.

I fought my way through losers, knocking out the DK, Link and Palutena players. Then that one match came, where I almost got knocked out myself.

A Robin.

Whoever was playing that Robin must have studied Raziek's guide since she(the player) was using nairplanes a lot and constantly keeping me guessing. Easily the most tense match of the entire gig for me. We tied at one point 1-1, but through sheer luck I managed to clutch that third match through a lucky dair spike on Pyrosphere Omega. A Robin had never given me that much trouble before, and that made the win all the better.

Unfortunately, my streak through losers was stopped by a Lucario after bashing through a Pac-Man next set. I sat at the aforementioned 10th place, not bad for my first try. I stayed to watch the wrap-up, culminating in a Captain Falcon taking first, Sonic taking second, and a Diddy of all things taking third.

Despite losing, I enjoyed myself here. First time I've had legitimate competition in months due to no Wii U yet. The players were all friendly and talkative, and when I lost, I was congratulated by several(who were rooting for me) for making it that far with Bowser, since I was the only one using him. The same Robin user who almost knocked me out asked if I was on SmashBoards, leading to an exchange of SB and Skype usernames, though she's asked for me to reserve discretion about it given she's shy.

And from now on, I plan to attend as many tournaments as I can. They're fun even wi the fierce competition for the prize. Might even make a name for myself in time.
That's awesome Liquid! Congrats!

Elezir

I myself finally was able to find this little sucker for the PS2 a decent price
View attachment 45987
And i must say i've been enjoying it quite a lot, it has way less commodities than SMT IV, but man is it more satyisfying because of that. I think any RPG fan should try this one out, even if itmeans emulating, i do think is great. Hech and the music is (unsurprisingly) really good as well.
Yes, Nocturne is awesome:cheep:
It is probably my favorite game in all of the SMT franchise.

I'm enjoying Breath of Fire IV quite a bit myself, might be the first RPG on the PS1 I truly love
@ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu
BoF IV is pretty good, but I still prefer BoF III.
Just because I thought the time-skip thingy was really interesting.
Yeah, no other real reason. I'm a sucker for time skips in which the characters grow up
Even if I'd say BoF IV is probably the most beautiful game in the series, with the most interesting story to boot.
Well, I never got around BoF V weird gameplay, though. I'm normally not one to bother with gameplay, but that fighting system was too...bizarre for me, and I couldn't keep playing because of that, so I idk about that one's story.

Eh, recently? Well, the one that comes to mind is Hotel Dusk: Room 215.
It kinda reminded me of Ace Attorney, so I liked it.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

Also, in this one in particular at least the answer matches what Boyd says, at least.
There were a lot of moment in which they didn't even make sense, what with almost all the dialogues being reusable.
oh yes, never forget, probably the worst part of Radiant Dawn. A perfect example of why quality is better than quantity.
This is also a reason why I really don't give a flip about the Dawn Brigade, they fall really flat due to their unexistant display of personalities without proper supports, and their base/story conversations are really not enough for me to care for them.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I like elephants. They're comfy and easy to wear.
All jokes aside I have absolutely no fibre of mercy in my soul for the absolute ****-sucking lowborn whelps who scurry around and shoot down elephants and other endangered animals just for an easy buck. Because of people like them, elephants tusks have become shorter and shorter over the ages, as people have deliberately hunted the ones with long tusks and removed their genes from the gene pool, ergo forced natural selection. Mother Nature made such beautiful, intelligent, incredible animals, and humans would take them from our world to satisfy their greed. It's pretty hard to upset me, but it genuinely makes me sick and causes me to lose sleep.

To make matters worse, one of the main reasons for poaching elephants is just for their tusks. They want genuine ivory implements, or some people are dumb enough to believe you can grind them down and drink them to live longer. Yeah, you read that right. Superstition. And they just leave the rest of it there to rot under the sun.

Sorry to sour all these cute gifs with such a dark message. Just had to get it off my mind, I suppose. D:

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I tried Punch-Out on Wii recently. It's decent, and I like the soundtrack. Some of the higher-level fighters are really difficult though.

Also, in this one in particular at least the answer matches what Boyd says.
In terms of actually building up supports, the system in PoR/RD is probably my favourite. Doesn't change the fact that the conversations themselves in RD sucked, though.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
All jokes aside I have absolutely no fibre of mercy in my soul for the absolute ****-sucking lowborn whelps who scurry around and shoot down elephants and other endangered animals just for an easy buck. Because of people like them, elephants tusks have become shorter and shorter over the ages, as people have deliberately hunted the ones with long tusks and removed their genes from the gene pool, ergo forced natural selection. Mother Nature made such beautiful, intelligent, incredible animals, and humans would take them from our world to satisfy their greed. It's pretty hard to upset me, but it genuinely makes me sick and causes me to lose sleep.

To make matters worse, one of the main reasons for poaching elephants is just for their tusks. They want genuine ivory implements, or some people are dumb enough to believe you can grind them down and drink them to live longer. Yeah, you read that right. Superstition. And they just leave the rest of it there to rot under the sun.

Sorry to sour all these cute gifs with such a dark message. Just had to get it off my mind, I suppose. D:
poachers are truly among the most horrible beings, I understand hunting for survival, for sport it's bad enough but simply to try getting easy money...it's despicable. I really can't stand the use of animals for completely unnecessary stuff like this, it's a complete disregard of their life.
But there there hong, tacticians listen and try to console to their fellow companions

Elezir

oh yes, never forget, probably the worst part of Radiant Dawn. A perfect example of why quality is better than quantity.
This is also a reason why I really don't give a flip about the Dawn Brigade, they fall really flat due to their unexistant display of personalities without proper supports, and their base/story conversations are really not enough for me to care for them.
Let's be honest here: Ike and the Greil Mercenaries just outright outshined the Dawn Brigade.
There was a point in which I just couldn't bear having to leave Ike and switch back to them.
It was a bad idea putting the two in the same game, moreover when you get so little characterisation from the new characters.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
uuugh

Poaching is one of my sourspots, definitely.
My blood boils just thinking about it.

Shaymikyu

Trust me, the fact that people do this makes me livid. It's not even over a necessity or food- it's for a material for making jewelry and the like, a material that has replacements.

I wish I could do something to help them. I want to go into ecology, but I doubt I'll get to work with my favorite animal anytime soon. I can help raise awareness of this however. Sadly, the people doing it will likely never learn... It's just disgusting to see these intelligent animals with complicated family dynamics harmed over that.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Yeah, i've seen many discussions about Animals being killed senselessly like this, from many points of view. And truly the slain of Elephants and Whales are some of the most gruesome and senseless i've seen. And really, i have seen things, i myself have defended practices like Bullfighting, since the bulls that are bred for those events would be slaughtered en masse if said events ended abruptly. Heck even in duck hunting at least they have the rule of using everything of the animal killed so that it doesn't go to waste. But Elephants, Whales, Sharks, Dolphins and many others are just killd for no reason and it just enrages me. Bloody hell.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I've recently been investing countless hours into MH4U. At first, it was difficult to get into, but once I hit my stride, I've been addicted to the "kill a monster, get new gear/weapons" type of formula. For the most part, I've had little trouble with the monsters I've encountered with a few exceptions here and there. However, ever since I got to the Heaven's Mount which is the 6th location in the game, this is how I feel most the time whenever I encounter a monster now.....

Hong

The Strongest
If you want another bad one, there's shark poaching.

People cruise around the ocean, catching sharks. After they have one on board, one person put their foot on it, another person cuts off the fin, and then they literally just kick it back into the ocean. And guess what? Now it's dead... because the shark needs that fin to swim, and they literally can't breathe if they are not swimming. They are going to die a slow painful death.

And to make matters worse, the fin of the shark is literally one of the most tasteless forms of meat in the world. It has no taste at all; all the flavour comes from the seasonings of the chef. People only eat it out of tradition, as shark fin soup is expensive, and thus if you can afford it, it's a sign of wealth. It's extremely messed up and it feels great when I can get restaurants to stop serving it.
poachers are truly among the most horrible beings, I understand hunting for survival, for sport it's bad enough but simply to try getting easy money...it's despicable. I really can't stand the use of animals for completely unnecessary stuff like this, it's a complete disregard of their life.
But there there hong, tacticians listen and try to console to their fellow companions

Aye, thanks, friend.

I'm a tracker, so I've spent a lot of time getting a first-hand observation of a lot of wildlife near and far. When I observe beautiful creatures in their natural habitat, doing what they naturally do... I can't imagine why anyone would want to take that away. If they get hunted down and mauled by a predator... that's fine. That is the natural circle of life in motion. Those predators NEED that elephant or whatever to live. With poachers... they just want some dirty money. :/

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Let's be honest here: Ike and the Greil Mercenaries just outright outshined the Dawn Brigade.
There was a point in which I just couldn't bear having to leave Ike and switch back to them.
It was a bad idea putting the two in the same game, moreover when you get so little characterisation from the new characters.
I can totally sympathize with you on this, the Greil Mercernaries simply outshined the Dawn Brigade, I honestly really didn't want to take Micky and Sothe with me to the end game, damn those plot requirements
If you want another bad one, there's shark poaching.

People cruise around the ocean, catching sharks. After they have one on board, one person put their foot on it, another person cuts off the fin, and then they literally just kick it back into the ocean. And guess what? Now it's dead... because the shark needs that fin to swim, and they literally can't breathe if they are not swimming. They are going to die a slow painful death.

And to make matters worse, the fin of the shark is literally one of the most tasteless forms of meat in the world. It has no taste at all; all the flavour comes from the seasonings of the chef. People only eat it out of tradition, as shark fin soup is expensive, and thus if you can afford it, it's a sign of wealth. It's extremely messed up and it feels great when I can get restaurants to stop serving it.

Aye, thanks, friend.

I'm a tracker, so I've spent a lot of time getting a first-hand observation of a lot of wildlife near and far. When I observe beautiful creatures in their natural habitat, doing what they naturally do... I can't imagine why anyone would want to take that away. If they get hunted down and mauled by a predator... that's fine. That is the natural circle of life in motion. Those predators NEED that elephant or whatever to live. With poachers... they just want some dirty money. :/
Yikes, I did not know that. I know the processing and breeding methods for more common meats like cows and pigs still need to be greatly improved, but this is outright horrible. And people then paint sharks as some sort of monster craving human flesh.
No need to worry Hongy we are all kind of a pack of elephants here
All what we can do is try our best to fight for these things to stop, animals deserve as much rights as we do

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The combination of the cute animal gifs and talking about the disgusting greed in humans just makes me sad. :crying:
I just really hate people who just exploit the environment for money. We weren't intended to live like this.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
The combination of the cute animal gifs and talking about the disgusting greed in humans just makes me sad. :crying:
I just really hate people who just exploit the environment for money. We weren't intended to live like this.
Actually nevermind this post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom