• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

D

Deleted member

I must say I am quite pleased with the sizable spike this thread seems to have had in traffic as we approach E3.
'Tis always nice to see a character I like (out of Smash Bros. context) receiving what I consider to be well-deserved attention from fans of Smash Bros. who may not have played a minute of the Fire Emblem Games. It pleases me greatly.:)

Morbi

Scavenger
I must say I am quite pleased with the sizable spike this thread seems to have had in traffic as we approach E3.
'Tis always nice to see a character I like (out of Smash Bros. context) receiving what I consider to be well-deserved attention from fans of Smash Bros. who may not have played a minute of the Fire Emblem Games. It pleases me greatly.:)
That is the beauty of Smash in general; so that certainly extends to support threads. I do agree though, I am glad that I am an aspect of the Robin community. There is nothing like supporting a character right before their reveal; although given the growth, it would be unfortunate if Chrom was confirmed as this thread would cease to have the discussions that we have become accommodated to. That is the one negative attribute I could contemplate.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...I leave to get a drink of water and now everyone here has changed their avatar to... the avatar.

Just going to put this out there, but I was doing that way before it was cool.

My current avatar belongs to a rather different tactician, though.

D

Deleted member

...I leave to get a drink of water and now everyone here has changed their avatar to... the avatar.

Just going to put this out there, but I was doing that way before it was cool.

My current avatar belongs to a rather different tactician, though.
Pray tell, what franchise is your avatar from?

IronFish

Smash Ace
I just have this gut feeling that we are going to get Robin, as there is just to much evidence supporting Himer.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just have this gut feeling that we are going to get Robin, as there is just to much evidence supporting Himer.
I agree, there is actually evidence in favor of the character, that is usually a prerequisite of characters that I support. The real question: Is it truly enough. We are "enlightened" to an extent, we understand that Chrom and Robin are truly equals and that it is one or the other (for all intents and purposes). However, the roster was finalized during an era of Chrom. We can only hope that Sakurai understood what we currently understand... about a year ago.

D

Deleted member

If it makes you feel any better, Grima/Validar has the geass of obedience... it just only works on those with fel blood.:troll:
Code Geass. If I watched anime, that would be one I would be able to watch.
After reading the description on Wikipedia, it seems I now have another anime to look into. :estatic:

Hong

The Strongest
I think the possibility there is only Marth and Ike, and both Ike's reveal and the new Fire Emblem stage, is only leading up to something because people want to see that, is extremely likely.
After reading the description on Wikipedia, it seems I now have another anime to look into. :estatic:
It's really trippy. I genuinely enjoyed the first ten or so episodes before it started to go full mecha.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Another little thing I'll throw out there as non-FE fan... to get a character like Robin would make me more receptive to more FE adds in the future.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I agree, there is actually evidence in favor of the character, that is usually a prerequisite of characters that I support. The real question: Is it truly enough. We are "enlightened" to an extent, we understand that Chrom and Robin are truly equals and that it is one or the other (for all intents and purposes). However, the roster was finalized during an era of Chrom. We can only hope that Sakurai understood what we currently understand... about a year ago.
Still their currently is not really any evidence supporting Chrom really that can't also be applied to Robin, and Robin has his theme confirmed etc.
Rosalina and Little Mac had some evidence supporting them before their reveals and look what happened... their reveals...
I'm just very cautiously optimistic I guess.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
That is one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard/read.
Honestly Chrom isn't as bad as some people make him look like, it's more of how Awakening it's written that a lot of characters simply don't get a chance to develop, but honestly Chrom does show some character development sometimes, such as when after recruiting Walhart he questions his approach as a leader.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pray tell, what franchise is your avatar from?
Well, my current avatar is a character named Lelouch from the anime Code Geass. Basically, he's a teenage genius living in a world ruled by a corrupt monarchy who manages to obtain a god-like power that he decides to use to recreate the world. He starts up a rebellion by making an alternate identity for himself and leading an army of rebels against the monarchy's forces, where he uses his tactical genius to win battles. Kind of like a more ruthless version of Robin.

It's a good show, if you want to give it a watch.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the possibility there is only Marth and Ike, and both Ike's reveal and the new Fire Emblem stage, is only leading up to something because people want to see that, is extremely likely.It's really trippy. I genuinely enjoyed the first ten or so episodes before it started to go full mecha.
I suppose that could be the case; however, I do not believe in coincidence.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Honestly Chrom isn't as bad as some people make him look like, it's more of how Awakening it's written that a lot of characters simply don't get a chance to develop, but honestly Chrom does show some character development sometimes, such as when after recruiting Walhart he questions his approach as a leader.
I mainly just think it's awkward how they tried to combine Ike's headstrong-ness and cool factor, with Marth's humbleness and sense of justice, that lead to Chrom just looking like and Idiot sometimes:

D

Deleted member

I think the possibility there is only Marth and Ike, and both Ike's reveal and the new Fire Emblem stage, is only leading up to something because people want to see that, is extremely likely.
The reveal of the Colosseum stage today awakened the glimmer of hope in me that we could see another rep from the classic FE games. But of course given the prominence of Awakening I have thus had to conclude such an idea as unlikely to occur for this iteration of Smash Bros.:ohwell:
Oh well, considering that FE is my favorite franchise I don't think I will ever be disappointed in the characters they choose to represent Fire Emblem in Smash Bros., even if it was Oliver, but I digress.

With regards to Robin, I would be quite pleased if she took a stance similar to Katarina (who coincidentally was a Grandmaster in her appearance in the Awakening DLC, Grandmaster being the promoted form of the Tactician class in Awakening (for those that have not played Awakening or Fire Emblem)):

What do any of you think of such a battle stance?

Morbi

Scavenger
I mainly just think it's awkward how they tried to combine Ike's headstrong-ness and cool factor, with Marth's humbleness and sense of justice, that lead to Chrom just looking like and Idiot sometimes:
I am not entirely certain, but I thought that the attacking both armies at once was Robin's idea (as she is the Tactician). Unfortunately I cannot recall. I believe the same would apply to the Volcano one, but I vaguely remember it being Chrom's "brilliant" plan. Regardless, those other memes are the reason that I enjoy his character. His heart was pure, that was the most prominent aspect of his character and the reason why he was one of my favorites, the others being: Lon'qu, Basilio, Virion, Tharja and Henry.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Am I the only one who likes male Robin?
I like both. I actually started out with both a male and female Robin when I first played Awakening, although I finished the female playthrough first because she ended up having better stats.

Besides, if Robin is in the game then there will most likely be a gender alt to appease both fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh I like him just fine, in fact all of my files have male avatars, but for some inexplicable reason I seem to lean more towards wanting to play as female Robin should he/she be included in Smash.

Maybe it's just because I would finally get to play as a Female Rep. for Fire Emblem in Smash, which would be a first for the franchise.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I am not entirely certain, but I thought that the attacking both armies at once was Robin's idea (as she is the Tactician). Unfortunately I cannot recall. I believe the same would apply to the Volcano one, but I vaguely remember it being Chrom's "brilliant" plan. Regardless, those other memes are the reason that I enjoy his character. His heart was pure, that was the most prominent aspect of his character and the reason why he was one of my favorites, the others being: Lon'qu, Basilio, Virion, Tharja and Henry.
Well they way I see it is Robin comes up with tones of ideas and strategies, but Chrom just only listens to the dumb ones.

Morbi

Scavenger

Edit: Does that make me sexist?
I actually adore both Avatars. Female Robin is obviously my favorite, and I have yet to play as Male Robin; however, he was the first Robin that I was introduced to. I will certainly try him out once I beat my current file. My only problem with him is that I do not really enjoy his white/gray hair. I have an innate desire to turn it purple for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I'm going to go ahead and make a last-minute declaration of support for Robin. I suppose I've been including Chrom in all my different lists because he's the popular, logical choice, but as I look at Robin more closely and the character's lively fanbase I see him and her both as more personable and more versatile. Robin for sm4sh!

IronFish

Smash Ace
I would be just fine if we got male Robin for default, and female as alt, probably because it would be the opposite of the WFT, I don't know. I just think MRobin is just cooler and more relate-able IMO where FRobin is a little to... fanserviced and known more for her attachment to Chrom ._.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Gods, I get off work and look at this place!

In other news I one upped everyone doing Robin avatars and did the one with both Robins getting ready to have Morgan twins. Expect to see MUCH worse if Robin is in Smash.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm going to go ahead and make a last-minute declaration of support for Robin. I suppose I've been including Chrom in all my different lists because he's the popular, logical choice, but as I look at Robin more closely and the character's lively fanbase I see him and her both as more personable and more versatile. Robin for sm4sh!
I suppose there will be a lot of declarations of support favoring Robin... once she is revealed. So I appreciate your last-minute support, apparently this thread is thriving on it. I cannot say that I have been an adamant supporter of Robin since the beginning either. I was a full-fledged Chrom supporter, until I found this thread. After that, I slowly (but surely) began to interpret them as equals. And excuse the easy joke, but it was time to tip the scales! I am glad that I did.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I suppose there will be a lot of declarations of support favoring Robin... once she is revealed. So I appreciate your last-minute support, apparently this thread is thriving on it. I cannot say that I have been an adamant supporter of Robin since the beginning either. I was a full-fledged Chrom supporter, until I found this thread. After that, I slowly (but surely) began to interpret them as equals. And excuse the easy joke, but it was time to tip the scales! I am glad that I did.
I always didn't want Chrom, for a while I supported Lucina, but then on Halloween... that PotD... Different gender alt costumes for WFT! I supported Robin ever sense that day...

Hong

The Strongest
XD **** you, @ IronFish IronFish . I am trying to like the character, here.
I suppose that could be the case; however, I do not believe in coincidence.
There's something between us all. Something that keeps us together... Like...invisible ties, connecting us. Giving us strength... WE forged these ties. WE strengthen them. If we preserve them, or break them, it will be by our choices, not some "destiny".
What do any of you think of such a battle stance?
As I've said before, I think if we get Robin, there is a good chance of there being a Katarina palette. Pent if they want something that works for a male character.

To answer your question, I expect Robin to have a side-standing stance with nothing more than a tome in hand. Our fantasies would have her carry a sword and tome, though I don't expect it.

Edit: Does that make me sexist?
Doesn't make you sexist at all.

If you would like to hear it from a feminist, I am one. Unless the male character choice clearly has visual or thematic superiority, I'll most always choose the female character. We all play enough games where men save the world, so when given the opportunity, I'll go for something else.
Welcome aboard. ♥
I would be just fine if we got male Robin for default, and female as alt, probably because it would be the opposite of the WFT, I don't know. I just think MRobin is just cooler and more relate-able IMO where FRobin is a little to... fanserviced and known more for her attachment to Chrom ._.
I wouldn't say that. There is more Robin♂xChrom than Robin♀xChrom when it comes to explicit work. Of course there is more romantic implications with Chrom and Robin♀, and I can't blame them. Even Robin's theme song is so bloody romantic... who knows how much more romantic their first meeting would be had Frederick not been there to have the discretion to realize Robin could be a threat.

Edit - To add, a lot of women like Robin because she is a more average, realistic representation of themselves compared to other games. Take that into consideration as well.

I think female Robin should be the choice because the Pokemon Trainer of the past and the default Villager are both male. Smash Bros is enough of a sausage-fest.
Gods, I get off work and look at this place!

In other news I one upped everyone doing Robin avatars and did the one with both Robins getting ready to have Morgan twins. Expect to see MUCH worse if Robin is in Smash.
I haven't seen this much mass-production of super soldiers since the Jugdral saga.:troll:

Granted, I suppose people who really wanted to overkill Awakening could have done the same, even though procreation is not a mandatory element of the product.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I always didn't want Chrom, for a while I supported Lucina, but then on Halloween... that PotD... Different gender alt costumes for WFT! I supported Robin ever sense that day...
Ah, that was the day that arbitrarily gave me hope for Lucina. I suppose Villager's female alternate certainly reaffirmed that sentiment even further.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
My heart grew three times that day.

D

Deleted member

Well they way I see it is Robin comes up with tones of ideas and strategies, but Chrom just only listens to the dumb ones.
Well, to be fair, Chrom can be as dumb as he wants considering that Frederick is his personal One Man Army.
I mean:
:awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
What did I say?
i started typing my post less than a minute after you posted all those Chrom meme images, but I felt compelled to respond to everything else that was posted after. >.>

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Chrom don't want to go to the volcano in the first place.
Donnel put himself in the fight.
The Fire Emblem is a shield. Plus, if Falchion has the power to slay Grima, why no ones of the Grimleal care about the blade?
The Lucina thing: Falchion and Exalted Brand.
The power of friendship is in every Fire Emblem.

Really, I like Chrom, but I like Robin too. Personality has nothing to do in Smash Bros. thats what I don't care for Chrom and Robin bland personalities. And makes me sad all the hate Awakening received from the core fanbase and Chrom specially now he is a candidate for Smash, more hate for another side.

IronFish

Smash Ace
For people who really want Chrom, I can see him being an alt for Marth, and speaking English, then having Robin be a unique separate character.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The pattern you conceived ends here.

Ike's game was out of the market by the time Brawl came out. Radiant Dawn was well on its way. By all accounts, this pattern would have had Micaiah, and not Ike, appear in Brawl. And it's not like Ike was a promotion for Radiant Dawn. He is deliberately concealed from Radiant Dawn. He only appears in the beginning after his "surprise" appearance at the end of part 2. May as well add Ephraim or Eirika, who debuted no more than a year from Ike, if this ideal was conceived.

Regardless, Roy and Ike were added to Smash Bros for drastically different reasons. There are no patterns when the intention for their inclusion was already addressed by the director. When the intent for an occurrence is declared, and it is already made apparent that it a subsequent intent was different from the last, it is no longer a pattern you can follow.

Just like people were trying to use Roy as an excuse to have Ike removed from the game. They were deliberately putting in effort to pretend there was some kind of tradition or pattern, when there is none.
...Where did I say there was a pattern? Where? Point it out to me.

I pointed out that Sakurai has gone to IS each time when picking a FE character. That is a fact. Whether or not he'll go to IS again remains to be seen. But it's not hard to conceive that IS would recommend Chrom instead, simply because IS has him as the poster boy.

Please don't put words into my mouth.

Actually this is wrong, IS didn't opt for Roy. Sakurai was going to add Leif. He then asked for a preview of the next game and decided to add Roy instead. SAKURAI wanted to add Roy, not Intelligent Systems. At least that's what I've read anyway. Its possible that IS pointed him to Marth instead of Sigurd, and IS did point him to Ike, but they did not point him to Roy, that was Sakurai's idea (again, after he saw a preview of Sword of Seals).
To get real technical. Sakurai didn't ask to be shown a preview of the next game. He was gonna go Leif till IS decided to show him a preview of FE6 in which he went to Roy. At least that's what I have read anyway. Which is still IS pointing to Roy.

Morbi

Scavenger
For people who really want Chrom, I can see him being an alt for Marth, and speaking English, then having Robin be a unique separate character.
I could also see Chrom as a playable character, which is the inherent problem. Albeit, it is not a blatant problem, Chrom is my golden parachute. Even if I do not get Robin, I get Chrom.

Top Bottom