• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'll admit.

The big thing Chrom has going for him is Intelligent systems.

Sakurai asked IS every time about FE characters. Marth was the obvious choice of course. He's the mascot. The must have.

Then they pointed him to Roy, to advertise their upcoming game. That's right. Roy's very first video game appearance was actually Melee and not FE6.

Then they pointed him to Ike.

Now while I could see Sakurai choosing Robin over Chrom with the newcomers he has showed so far. I can also definitely see IS pushing Chrom over Robin.

:L
Actually, it's very possible that IS could at least be open to the idea of Robin, and not push for Chrom as much. I wrote about this a while back, actually.

You know, in terms of marketability, I think it's worth keeping in mind that despite Chrom being the face of Awakening, adding him into Smash, in addition to Marth and Ike, doesn't provide the best image of Fire Emblem to people unfamiliar with the series. It makes the series look like it's comprised of similar looking swordsmen and nothing else; even if Chrom is more recognizable than someone like Robin to those unfamiliar with Awakening, that doesn't automatically make him the best marketing option. And keep in mind, Smash is really popular and will be around for quite some time, so it would be a rather poor idea to represent your series in it in a way that makes the series look bland and uninteresting.

Does that make sense?
EDIT: Seriously? I started yet another page for this thread? At this rate we'll outnumber the Chrom thread in pages by the end of the day...

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
The Chrom supporters are just as bias as the Robin supporters lol.
Totally :awesome:

If Intelligent Systems thinks along the lines of Robin, I am convinced that she will be chosen over Chrom. I just feel as though Mr. Marketing is a better (more ideal) choice from their perspective. But again, Sakurai's urge to gender-swap Robin might be our saving grace.
Sakurai's inflation fetish is why we have Jigglypuff's Final Smash, so surely his rule 63 fetish will guarantee Robin.

You already got Batgirl, so enough is enough.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Found it
We are out in front of a castle with under attack by an army of various Zelda enemies. The LBTW "Lorule Castle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75HDyL2BGc
theme is playing, but more dramatic version
Then we see defending the castle from the various Zelda enemies we see: Link, Marth, Ike, and Meta Knight (assuming he is revealed already). They are all slashing there way through the enemies
Then we see a rocky outcropping in the middle of the bobogoblins etc. we see Ganondorf commanding the army then we see

"Ganondorf powers his way in" (Idk)
then Ganon's theme part of the song plays

and he jumps into the fray and beats away Ike and MetaKnight leaving Marth and Link to fight him and they are losing. Music changes to "Divine Decree Ablaze" from Fire Emblem Awakening stars playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJO957WvoE
Then we see inside the castle the silhouette of a hooded robed figure starting to make gestures and commands to Link and Marth
Then Link notices and then blocks attacks to Marth from Gannon, then the silhouette makes another command, and then Link counter attacks with Marth attacking after him, but Ganondorf overpowers Link leaving to the side and Ganondorf is about to finish off Marth but is interrupted by a bolt of lighting coming from the inside of the castle, and then we zoom in on the hooded figure holding a magic book.
He takes his hood off revealing

"Robin Tips The Scales"
(Robin from Awakening)
Music changes to Id Purpose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bio99hoZVYI

then he puts the book away and draws a sword and swings it around a bit, then the camera cuts to clips of him fighting.
like in one Gannondorf attacks Robin with warlock punch but Robin side steps and retaliates with and attack from his sword
In another one we Charizard breathing fire at Robin then he is hit by Robin's fire magic
Or in another he smash attacks Mario with his sword off the stage but he recovers, so Robin uses Rally Spectrum then does another smash attack with his sword this time KOing him
after that we see Pikachu try to use thunder but Robin uses Thoron hitting Pikachu with it
And we see Male and Female Robin doing a taunt, showing female as an alt
More fighting stuff then...

Cue smash logos​

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Really? That's kind of saying a lot, especially since you frequent the Ridley thread, which is probably the most social support thread in existence. So why's this one your favorite?
The Ridley thread is great fun; however, this thread seems like the most professional. As you are most likely already aware, I value competency more than anything on this Earth. The users that frequent this thread are typically those that I actually maintain a sense of respect for. It is an enjoyable experience, I do not participate for participation's sake. I actually enjoy discussing her character. It helps that it is also a character that I care deeply about. For instance, I tried the Ganon thread. It is saturated with many half-heartened posts that lack content. This thread is concise when necessarily and elaboration is never excessive or unwarranted. So it is entertaining to read every single post. It has actually been my favorite for a long time, even before I supported Robin.

Hong

The Strongest
The pattern you conceived ends here.

Ike's game was out of the market by the time Brawl came out. Radiant Dawn was well on its way. By all accounts, this pattern would have had Micaiah, and not Ike, appear in Brawl. And it's not like Ike was a promotion for Radiant Dawn. He is deliberately concealed from Radiant Dawn. He only appears in the beginning after his "surprise" appearance at the end of part 2. May as well add Ephraim or Eirika, who debuted no more than a year from Ike, if this ideal was conceived.

Regardless, Roy and Ike were added to Smash Bros for drastically different reasons. There are no patterns when the intention for their inclusion was already addressed by the director. When the intent for an occurrence is declared, and it is already made apparent that it a subsequent intent was different from the last, it is no longer a pattern you can follow.

Just like people were trying to use Roy as an excuse to have Ike removed from the game. They were deliberately putting in effort to pretend there was some kind of tradition or pattern, when there is none.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'll admit.

The big thing Chrom has going for him is Intelligent systems.

Sakurai asked IS every time about FE characters. Marth was the obvious choice of course. He's the mascot. The must have.

Then they pointed him to Roy, to advertise their upcoming game. That's right. Roy's very first video game appearance was actually Melee and not FE6.

Now while I could see Sakurai choosing Robin over Chrom with the newcomers he has showed so far. I can also definitely see IS pushing Chrom over Robin.

:L
Actually this is wrong, IS didn't opt for Roy. Sakurai was going to add Leif. He then asked for a preview of the next game and decided to add Roy instead. SAKURAI wanted to add Roy, not Intelligent Systems. At least that's what I've read anyway. Its possible that IS pointed him to Marth instead of Sigurd, and IS did point him to Ike, but they did not point him to Roy, that was Sakurai's idea (again, after he saw a preview of Sword of Seals).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
By the way, if I may make a request, would it be possible for the OP to be updated? It's a pretty good OP as it is, but some bits of it are outdated or don't properly reflect current opinions (like the idea that Chrom has to be present on the roster before Robin can get in and that Ike needs to be cut for that to happen). I think it'd also be good to include information on whatever evidence we have that indicates Robin's possible inclusion on the roster. Considering that the thread is growing as much as it is, and Robin is gaining more and more support, I think an small OP update could be very helpful. Would that be possible?

Morbi

Scavenger
By the way, if I may make a request, would it be possible for the OP to be updated? It's a pretty good OP as it is, but some bits of it are outdated or don't properly reflect current opinions (like the idea that Chrom has to be present on the roster before Robin can get in and that Ike needs to be cut for that to happen). I think it'd also be good to include information on whatever evidence we have that indicates Robin's possible inclusion on the roster. Considering that the thread is growing as much as it is, and Robin is gaining more and more support, I think an small OP update could be very helpful. Would that be possible?
I agree that it needs an update; however, it is not so detrimental. No one reads the OP anyways! :awesome:

@ Gingerbread Man Gingerbread Man
Fix it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
An Idea for the OP, add a list of supporters, or everyone who likes the OP.

I may change my avatar to Robin.. if I can find good artwork.

Is it strange that I feel the most analytical and unbiased side of Smashboards hangs around this thread?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I agree that it needs an update; however, it is not so detrimental. No one reads the OP anyways! :awesome:

@ Gingerbread Man Gingerbread Man
Fix it.
I read OPs...

But OPs are good places to gather arguments and evidence for characters and present them in a coherent fashion. With all the new information and pro-Robin arguments we've been getting lately, having them all put into one place could be very beneficial.

Though I suppose with E3 just around the corner, and with a Fire Emblem newcomer looking like a likely reveal, an update may end up going to waste...

Weeman

Smash Crusader
By the way if not having blue hair is a problem...
Robin Boy Isn't Happy With Blue Hair.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is it strange that I feel the most analytical and unbiased side of Smashboards hangs around this thread?
Well Robin is a tactician, so it'd be logical that his/her fans would be like-minded. (In terms of typically being analytical and unbiased, or rather, looking at something from all sides, as a tactician typically would).

Morbi

Scavenger
Well Robin is a tactician, so it'd be logical that his/her fans would be like-minded. (In terms of typically being analytical and unbiased, or rather, looking at something from all sides, as a tactician typically would).
It seems like an odd correlation, but I suppose it is not completely unfathomable. The only odd one out (alliteration attack as an admirable Avatar) is Mr. Cervantes, but at least he is funny.

I tried too hard on that alliteration.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I read OPs...

But OPs are good places to gather arguments and evidence for characters and present them in a coherent fashion. With all the new information and pro-Robin arguments we've been getting lately, having them all put into one place could be very beneficial.

Though I suppose with E3 just around the corner, and with a Fire Emblem newcomer looking like a likely reveal, an update may end up going to waste...
Still...It would be something we could all look back on later, for nostalgia's sake.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Oh, I'm probably biased towards Robin and just don't realize it. Though I like to think that I'm simply analyzing why Robin would be a good character choice and what evidence there is in his/her favor.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh, I'm probably biased towards Robin and just don't realize it. Though I like to think that I'm simply analyzing why Robin would be a good character choice and what evidence there is in his/her favor.
I believe that is a great aspect of one's character, it is important to be aware of your bias. Of course, it is essential to be aware of it so that you might recognize when you are asserting something subjective versus objective. As such, I must admit that I am also biased for Robin in Smash. I used to remain partial, but I can no longer maintain that facade!

D

Deleted member

I believe that is a great aspect of one's character, it is important to be aware of your bias. Of course, it is essential to be aware of it so that you might recognize when you are asserting something subjective versus objective. As such, I must admit that I am also biased for Robin in Smash. I used to remain partial, but I can no longer maintain that facade!
I used to be an avid Chrom supporter, with Robin being one of those "I'd enjoy her if she makes it, but I don't really care" type of characters, but now my desire for Robin over Chrom seems to be increasing on a day-to-day basis. Really ever sense I thought of the whole "Spellsword" fighting style as the main concept she would be based on Robin has become one of my most desired Fire Emblem Characters to have a place in Smash 4.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
This is why i love this thread, people actually like the idea of Robin and not just jump in the "anybody but Chrom" bandwagon. With that said i think it's safe to say that if IS has major plans for the tactician concept in the future then Robin definitely could be their pick.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Changed my avatar to Robin and don't regret it in the slightest.
One of my favourite images, albeit a bit unclear. Still, when you see it... Truly, whether you pair up Robin with Chrom or Lucina, the sense of tragedy heightens.

Yeah, Lucina. Your papi's dearest companion, the tactician of your army, and a companion who wants nothing more than your safety in even the most dire of circumstances?

Well, s/he killed your father, and s/he is going to do it again. It's inevitable.

What a grisly realization.

Also:

And saved. Thanks for sharing!
I also wanted to change my avatar to Robin, but I could not find any good art aside from Hong's previous Avatar (rim-shot).
What, it's too dirty for you to use now!?

Well, I'll just leave this here in the event you change your mind, friend. ^~^
Tagging @ Gingerbread Man Gingerbread Man to make sure he sees this! Carry on.
The places where we find salvation, the stories we enjoy, and ultimately the characters we find appealing, can all be affected if not determined by our values. Kind of like how studies for big MMOs find more of a certain personality archetype finds a certain race or class more appealing.

Robin inherently will draw in a crowd of very rational people. Robin will also become more and more apparent as an option as people realize all the patterns and preconceived mandated criteria they have developed are entirely falsehood. People have had time to simmer down and see the big picture, and the less fanatical will seek sanctuary with like-minded people.

Remember: people used to think the idea Robin could be customized in her own game was an issue.

Let that sit in.

Morbi

Scavenger
One of my favourite images, albeit a bit unclear. Still, when you see it... Truly, whether you pair up Robin with Chrom or Lucina, the sense of tragedy heightens.

Yeah, Lucina. Your papi's dearest companion, the tactician of your army, and a companion who wants nothing more than your safety in even the most dire of circumstances?

Well, s/he killed your father, and s/he is going to do it again. It's inevitable.

What a grisly realization.

And saved. Thanks for sharing!
What, it's too dirty for you to use now!?

Well, I'll just leave this here in the event you change your mind, friend. ^~^
Tagging @ Gingerbread Man Gingerbread Man to make sure he sees this! Carry on.
The places where we find salvation, the stories we enjoy, and ultimately the characters we find appealing, can all be affected if not determined by our values. Kind of like how studies for big MMOs find more of a certain personality archetype finds a certain race or class more appealing.

Robin inherently will draw in a crowd of very rational people. Robin will also become more and more apparent as an option as people realize all the patterns and preconceived mandated criteria they have developed are entirely falsehood. People have had time to simmer down and see the big picture, and the less fanatical will seek sanctuary with like-minded people.

Remember: people used to think the idea Robin could be customized in her own game was an issue.

Let that sit in.
I changed my mind. I suppose it is a really nice Avatar.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm now wondering if the general reaction to Robin's confirmation will be positive, negative, or just indifferent.

I know there would be some fans relieved to see a Fire Emblem newcomer who isn't "just another blue-haired swordsman", but it would still come across as a completely shocking reveal to most fans. At this point, most people are expecting Chrom on the basis of him being the most marketed, the protagonist, and included in the Gematsu leak.

If you ask me, his/her reveal to the fanbase would probably be summarized as "Didn't see that coming, guys".

D

Deleted member

All of this changing of avatars to show support for Robin has finally convinced me, So I too have decided to show my support for Him/Her has a playable character.
<-----------------
But of course, I'm still too loyal to Nah, my favorite character of all time, so she had to be included as well. :chuckle:

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'm now wondering if the general reaction to Robin's confirmation will be positive, negative, or just indifferent.

I know there would be some fans relieved to see a Fire Emblem newcomer who isn't "just another blue-haired swordsman", but it would still come across as a completely shocking reveal to most fans. At this point, most people are expecting Chrom on the basis of him being the most marketed, the protagonist, and included in the Gematsu leak.

If you ask me, his/her reveal to the fanbase would probably be summarized as "Didn't see that coming, guys".
I love it when someone looking for a new FE rep Googles FE13 and starts supporting the first character that comes up, after doing no research what so ever beyond that.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am certain the the reaction would be mostly positive; there are a lot of legitimate Chrom supporters out there that genuinely want him, such as my sister. However, there are more that want something different, and Robin is that "something different." I do not see anything negative in response to her inclusion though. I could be wrong, but it seems like it would be a largely one sided sentiment.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I don't know a thing about Fire Emblem. I have never played a FE game, and only know Marth, Roy, and Ike, and because of Smash Bros.

But browsing this thread, I like this character. I like the potential this character has, I like the intriguing female (?) character, and I like the idea of Fire Emblem getting someone who isn't a charisma-less blue-haired swordsman. Not to knock any of them if they have fans, but as someone who isn't really into FE, these same-y characters aren't drawing me in.

But consider me a convert for Robin. Kudos, folks

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
I am certain the the reaction would be mostly positive; there are a lot of legitimate Chrom supporters out there that genuinely want him, such as my sister. However, there are more that want something different, and Robin is that "something different." I do not see anything negative in response to her inclusion though. I could be wrong, but it seems like it would be a largely one sided sentiment.
What I just don't get is why would you "want" Chrom after Ike's reveal?

IronFish

Smash Ace
To be honest, I don't know a thing about Fire Emblem. I have never played a FE game, and only know Marth, Roy, and Ike, and because of Smash Bros.

But browsing this thread, I like this character. I like the potential this character has, I like the intriguing female (?) character, and I like the idea of Fire Emblem getting someone who isn't a charisma-less blue-haired swordsman. Not to knock any of them if they have fans, but as someone who isn't really into FE, these same-y characters aren't drawing me in.

Robin can just as male as female

Morbi

Scavenger

I assume this will be the general reaction once (if) she is revealed. Thank you so very much for providing me with an example, I really appreciate it.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I assume this will be the general reaction once (if) she is revealed. Thank you so very much for providing me with an example, I really appreciate it.
If Robin gets revealed I'm going to a happy dance for hours, then do another play through of Awakening, then If Bandana Dee gets revealed I'm going to drag my friends (while hocked up on happiness) to my house and play Kirby's return to dreamland while I play Awakening.

Morbi

Scavenger
Because they like the character perhaps?
Correct, this was the answer that I was going to give, good sir. She can look past the notion that he would be "just another swordsman," and she can certainly ignore his hair color as she finds that to be completely and utterly irrelevant. He is his own character just as Ike is his own character. She adores them both and she would never choose between one or the other given the opportunity.

Hong

The Strongest
I changed my mind. I suppose it is a really nice Avatar.
Now I'll just have to get used to not mistaking your posts for someone hacking into my account and posting in lavender. :troll:

Happpened with my Marth avatar, too.

The mass public will be appeased if the character is cool. That's all it takes. No one from Fire Emblem has a star on the walk of fame. As far as public appeal goes, the existing fans don't affect crowd reaction so much as how it is executed.

Even though Pokemon X & Y sold well, I would think that Robin's design is just as easy to find "cool", if not easier, as a frog ninja. People dig dark and mysterious characters with grey hair. How much of the public likes Sephiroth for his awful dialogue sequences or dull as dirt story, versus people who tout him as "badass"? Hell, have Robin walk through flames and her face will be all over Kotaku and stuff.

Edit - I'll have you know I am a Chrom fan. >:/

Last edited:
Top Bottom