• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
So the numbers for aerial movement, falling, speed, and fast-falling speed are in. True to the character, Robin is more or less average in all three categories. Think the only thing surprising is that Robin does not have the great aerial speed that some people had claimed, though being at least average in that category is a nice escape from having the worst ground speed.

As cool as that sound, I think it is kind of stupid. I not sure why, but something about that idea (not offence) sound pointless and doesn't make sense. Though.........
I thought the concept was fairly organic given how cool the Dual Strike system was in Awakening. Plus, combos! Everybody loves combos!

But I do agree with @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal that Chrom and Lucina would make for a cooler team. Especially if you could do like some kind of Aether variant where one throws the sword into the air to have the supporting character jump in to catch it, since they both wield the Falchion, anyway.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hey guys, just coming in here quickly to make a small announcement. Coming from @ Locuan Locuan 's recent plea to revamp the Lucina social thread into the Smash thread it originally was(as he moderates the Lucina and Marth boards now), I've taken the liberty of making a new Fire Emblem social group(and apparently it's the first one). The group shall mainly be for FE-centric talk and things like fanart and whatnot, since the Robin social isn't immune to non-Smash talking either. At the moment I've just invited the regulars from the Lucina thread that were mostly talking about Awakening, so if you'd like in, please do tell me.

That's all for now.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I would love access to this group as well. I stopped going to the Lucina boards well mainly the social thread cause it was too much about waifu pairings and art which I don't mind if it's a decent amount but it was too much and to the point of you couldn't really talk much about the character and strategies I feel like so this is great.

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
I would love access to this group as well. I stopped going to the Lucina boards well mainly the social thread cause it was too much about waifu pairings and art which I don't mind if it's a decent amount but it was too much and to the point of you couldn't really talk much about the character and strategies I feel like so this is great.
I believe the idea is for the two original threads to now remain smash focus, and the group for all the non-smash stuff.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I believe the idea is for the two original threads to now remain smash focus, and the group for all the non-smash stuff.
Precisely. I doubt Raziek would complain if the Robin social remained mostly Smash-centric.

The Robin social thread is reasonably balanced as it is.
Oh, it's just an extra measure. I'll agree it's not really necessary for the Robin social, but still nice to have.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Plus, combos! Everybody loves combos!
Actually no.
I kinda hate combos. Not the ones the game makes itself, like jab combos or dancing blade. Those are fine by me, since they are build around the fact that the.
I know you think differently since you have talked about your fondness of 0%-to-death combos in Smash 64 in the past, but that's exactly the style of combo I despise: Those that leave the enemy no counterplay other than to never get hit in the first place.
It just doesn't make the game more interesting for me and creates an unnecesary skill hurdle without really raising the skill ceiling.

I would go into more depth about this, but I don't want to digress into ranting right now like I tend to do on those kinds of topics. :3

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
I do prefer the Melee combo system, since it actually gives the defendant a mode of escaping (A cat and mouse game). The 64 combo system is cool for the 0 to deaths though, I do love me those combos.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What is this group we speak of? And why am I not invited?
Hey guys, just coming in here quickly to make a small announcement. Coming from @ Locuan Locuan 's recent plea to revamp the Lucina social thread into the Smash thread it originally was(as he moderates the Lucina and Marth boards now), I've taken the liberty of making a new Fire Emblem social group(and apparently it's the first one). The group shall mainly be for FE-centric talk and things like fanart and whatnot, since the Robin social isn't immune to non-Smash talking either. At the moment I've just invited the regulars from the Lucina thread that were mostly talking about Awakening, so if you'd like in, please do tell me.

That's all for now.
see quote.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

That's all for now.
plz to invite me por favor

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Actually no.
I kinda hate combos. Not the ones the game makes itself, like jab combos or dancing blade. Those are fine by me, since they are build around the fact that the.
I know you think differently since you have talked about your fondness of 0%-to-death combos in Smash 64 in the past, but that's exactly the style of combo I despise: Those that leave the enemy no counterplay other than to never get hit in the first place.
It just doesn't make the game more interesting for me and creates an unnecesary skill hurdle without really raising the skill ceiling.

I would go into more depth about this, but I don't want to digress into ranting right now like I tend to do on those kinds of topics. :3
I'm sorry if you wanted to drop this conversation immediately given your last statement. But I do feel at least 2 clarifications should be made. First, there's a world of difference between saying there are combos in the game and there are 0%-to-death combos. There is a reason why no one compares Guilty Gear and Blazblue, 2 games heavy on combos, set-ups, and okis, to MvC3 where 0 to death is everywhere. @ Hong Hong also did not mention 0 to death combos although Hong might have imagined them for all I know.

Your (understandable) hatred for combos seem to stem from the fact that the interactive relationship between the players diminishes once a combo initiated by one of them. That, however, is not entirely the case with Smash bros, which is my second point. Unlike other fighting games, the person being comboed in Smash has a (albeit limited) way to alter their state through DI and still has a reason to hold onto the control stick, keeping the interactivity between both players intact. The only other fighting games that are remotely similar to Smash in this regards are games with a burst mechanic, popularized by the Arcsys games, and even then that's only a one, maybe two, time thing.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wait a minute. A Fire Emblem Social Group?

Add me to the group @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A plox

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I thought the concept was fairly organic given how cool the Dual Strike system was in Awakening. Plus, combos! Everybody loves combos!

But I do agree with @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal that Chrom and Lucina would make for a cooler team. Especially if you could do like some kind of Aether variant where one throws the sword into the air to have the supporting character jump in to catch it, since they both wield the Falchion, anyway.
And that's why I added the though at the end. Case it does make sense as in FE:A, you could switch which person was the lead character and who was the support

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Honestly, I don't really care either way. I love talking about both, so I'm not going to stop anyone from talking about either.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Well, I'll offer my thoughts here since it seems that my suggestion over at the Lucina boards carried over. The idea is to organize the Lucina social thread. It became heavily one sided to one particular topic. As @ Raziek Raziek said, I love to talk about FE as well but in the case of the Lucina social there has to be a balance established.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
While I do not object to having a dedicated FE social thread and I certainly understand the reasons behind having such a thing, I agree with @ Hong Hong , that this thread is fairly balanced. I think part of the charm of this thread is that the tacticians here can deftly move from subject to subject, whether it be from silly shipping talk between forum users here, to intelligent Smash 4 strategy sessions (which has additional outlets in the rest of the Robin forum), to even the occasional more serious reflections about life and society. Heck, I vaguely recall this discussion on feminism that occurred a bit before my first post here and I thoroughly enjoyed that discussion. It is that balance that eventually prompted me to make an account here in the first place.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I'm sorry if you wanted to drop this conversation immediately given your last statement. But I do feel at least 2 clarifications should be made. First, there's a world of difference between saying there are combos in the game and there are 0%-to-death combos. There is a reason why no one compares Guilty Gear and Blazblue, 2 games heavy on combos, set-ups, and okis, to MvC3 where 0 to death is everywhere. @ Hong Hong also did not mention 0 to death combos although Hong might have imagined them for all I know.

Your (understandable) hatred for combos seem to stem from the fact that the interactive relationship between the players diminishes once a combo initiated by one of them. That, however, is not entirely the case with Smash bros, which is my second point. Unlike other fighting games, the person being comboed in Smash has a (albeit limited) way to alter their state through DI and still has a reason to hold onto the control stick, keeping the interactivity between both players intact. The only other fighting games that are remotely similar to Smash in this regards are games with a burst mechanic, popularized by the Arcsys games, and even then that's only a one, maybe two, time thing.
Oh, I completely agree. There is a world of difference between "Some combos are possible" to OCKOs. And Smash IS really light on combos and allows for possible escapes with DI. Which is all the more reason for me to love Smash as much as I do! But it's also the reason why I am so adamantly against allowing for more combo potential within Smash.
One of the series' more unique parts is the accessability. While it's not entirely as easy to pick up as say Mario Kart, within the Fighting Game Community it is the easiest to get into, to the point where people ridicule it as "not a real fighting game".

The truth is, however, that skill hurdles (like complicated special move inputs or combos that you have to learn) only limit a game's potential success by limiting it's potential customer and fan base. Think about this: The fact that some games had to introduce a Combo Breaker mechanic so that fights aren't entirely dominated by the person that hit first is incredibly ridiculous. Especially when you consider that this is another mountain for new players to climb to even start playing online mode! When Sakurai says that it's important to remember the people that don't follow the series fanaticly and includes game modes like Smash Tour, that is one of the reasons why he does so. Tripping was still a horrible idea though.

Of course, it's just not realistic to believe that you could create a game that has absolutely NO learning curve, but striving to keep that curve as low as possible is an admirable goal in my opinion. The less the game is about learning what character you can combo with what attacks at what percent, the more it is about split-second decision making, reflexes and hand-eye-coordination. Which is something I would vastly prefer to getting beaten constantly for not having played the game for a couple of months straight.

As a side note: IIRC, @ Hong Hong mentioned liking Smash 64 partly due to the combo potential a couple of times, though not recently and I'm not even sure if it was in this topic. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, I hate it when I feel certain about something and it just turns out I misremembered stuff ;)

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I feel so strange for liking both 64 and Smash 4 equally. Most people tend to be polarized Smash games.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I feel so strange for liking both 64 and Smash 4 equally. Most people tend to be polarized Smash games.
I like all the Smash games about the same Level :). Seriously, while Melee is good, I don't think it is the God of Smash

Come at me:4lucina:.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Good stuff
While I do fall in the camp that would have liked to see more hitstun and combos in Smash 4, or at least more combo potential for more characters instead of a blanket combo buff system change, among other things, I do understand and agree with what you said. The low learning curve was the one of the many key reasons why Smash succeeded and it should remain as such, with intuitive controls and simple move execution. I believe, however, that the reason why Smash has a relevant competitive scene and is actually rising in popularity is because while there is a low skill floor, there is a decent gap between that and the high skill ceiling that rewards the most dedicated of players. And this high skill ceiling is partially established by rewarding players who know how to punish and/or convert stray hits with the opportunities to do a combo. This also makes it more entertaining for the viewers since the players aren't just poking each other to death. Now how hard or long these combos should be is an entirely different topic.

Also to clairfy just in case, when I said that Hong did not mention 0 to death combos, I only meant that Hong did not say that in the context of this conversation and the previous page or two. For all I know, @ Hong Hong might have said something about liking 0 to death combos in the past but I wouldn't know.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I like Brawl more than Melee and 3DS/U over Brawl.

It's not strange at all.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Nothing against Melee, but I couldn't get into it like I got into any of the others.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Nothing against Melee, but I couldn't get into it like I got into any of the others.
Sure, Melee has it's merits, but in the end, Brawl has Snake.

There is nothing in that game that I like more than Snake.

except subspace.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
In terms of the Smash games, I'd probably rank them like this:

1.) Melee
2.) Brawl
3.) 64

Melee has always been my favorite as it's the one I grew up with, and it includes Mewtwo (yeah, my reasoning is pretty simplistic, I'll admit).

I really like Brawl as well, but some things about it kind of bugged me (exclusion of Mewtwo, slower movement, muted colors, etc).

I've never been too fond of 64, to be honest. That one has always felt just a little too slow and clunky for me, and naturally, it has the least amount of content in a series that would later be known for its sheer volume of content. It does hold a special place in my heart for being the first video game I ever played, though.

Since I haven't played the Wii U version of Smash 4 yet, I don't think I could accurately rank it. However, I feel almost certain that it's going to take the number 1 spot.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
While I do fall in the camp that would have liked to see more hitstun and combos in Smash 4, or at least more combo potential for more characters instead of a blanket combo buff system change, among other things, I do understand and agree with what you said. The low learning curve was the one of the many key reasons why Smash succeeded and it should remain as such, with intuitive controls and simple move execution. I believe, however, that the reason why Smash has a relevant competitive scene and is actually rising in popularity is because while there is a low skill floor, there is a decent gap between that and the high skill ceiling that rewards the most dedicated of players. And this high skill ceiling is partially established by rewarding players who know how to punish and/or convert stray hits with the opportunities to do a combo. This also makes it more entertaining for the viewers since the players aren't just poking each other to death. Now how hard or long these combos should be is an entirely different topic.

Also to clairfy just in case, when I said that Hong did not mention 0 to death combos, I only meant that Hong did not say that in the context of this conversation and the previous page or two. For all I know, @ Hong Hong might have said something about liking 0 to death combos in the past but I wouldn't know.
I'm positively humbled by getting my post abbreviated as "good stuff". :3

I completely agree with you. A high skill ceiling is a great thing! And Smash has that. Plus a low skill floor with only relatively few skill hurdles.
The important part is to not confuse the hurdle with either of the other two.

Last edited:

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
Is anyone else watching the Capcom Cup 2014? The matches are great but the presentation is cringe worthy.

D

Deleted member

I like every Smash game equally... except for Smash 4. I like Smash 4 the most since it fixed what I didn't like about previous Smash games; no infinite air dodges, complete character imbalances, sluggish gameplay, and random tripping.
I love 64 and its balance and combos, but there isn't too much content. I love Melee and its combos and gameplay, but I can't really get into that game on a super competitive level and I hated the limited air dodges. I love Brawl and its sheer amount of content and infinite air dodges, but I hated the random tripping, no combos, and sluggish gameplay.
Still, the series is absolutely fantastic.

Top Bottom