• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't get why because that's been debunked already, and even if it wasn't, how do we know if was the same leaker? Also if you look at the numbers of people "leaking" characters last year, statistically SOMEONE was going to guess right, and we only pay attention to the one that guessed right.
Well, assuming you're referring to the "Pokemon from X and Y" thing, that doesn't really debunk the leak. That can be explained by the "leaker" having early information about the game, at a point when Greninja had not yet been decided, but the slot for a Pokemon from X and Y was already reserved.

But I agree with you otherwise. The fact that the leaks came separately opens up the possibility that it was not from the same person, or that the first part was real and the second part was made up. And yes, the sheer number of speculators out there makes it more likely than some think that at least one individual could get an unlikely character right. The first "leak" wasn't even a leak to begin with; it was "unlikely predictions" that ended up being correct.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Well, assuming you're referring to the "Pokemon from X and Y" thing, that doesn't really debunk the leak. That can be explained by the "leaker" having early information about the game, at a point when Greninja had not yet been decided, but the slot for a Pokemon from X and Y was already reserved.

But I agree with you otherwise. The fact that the leaks came separately opens up the possibility that it was not from the same person, or that the first part was real and the second part was made up. And yes, the sheer number of speculators out there makes it more likely than some think that at least one individual could get an unlikely character right. The first "leak" wasn't even a leak to begin with; it was "unlikely predictions" that ended up being correct.
Also to the fact that I think it was "Animal Crossing guy", AND no Rosalina. Plus he has picked some of the SAFEST choices, and one wildass choice, along with more vague choices just like the original "leak". I think it's safe to call it debunked.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.

And as such, hope is restored.

Hong

The Strongest
Doesn't matter. Even after it's proved fraudulent, people will still just make up excuses for how characters were changed or something.

Taking a lot more effort for me to believe it than not.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Also to the fact that I think it was "Animal Crossing guy", AND no Rosalina. Plus he has picked some of the SAFEST choices, and one wildass choice, along with more vague choices just like the original "leak". I think it's safe to call it debunked.
Rule number 1 of villaindom, ALWAYS CHECK IF THE THING IS ACTUALLY DEAD BEFORE SAYING SO!!!!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And as such, hope is restored.
Really? That's all it took? I mean, I've done a fair amount of writing on the Gematsu leak, as well as some of the characters that appear in it. That was just a small sample of what I have against the leak.

Doesn't matter. Even after it's proved fraudulent, people will still just make up excuses for how characters were changed or something.

Taking a lot more effort for me to believe it than not.
I think if someone like Chrom or Shulk were to be shown off as Assist Trophies, people would claim Sakurai is lying and actually showed off a playable character.

Though, the leak has bit of a distinction of being near impossible to prove wrong.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Rule number 1 of villaindom, ALWAYS CHECK IF THE THING IS ACTUALLY DEAD BEFORE SAYING SO!!!!
Always figured the number 1 rule of villaindom would be that it is absolutely essential for you to leave unlocked treasure chests, arms/ammunition, and consumable goods entirely exposed for the protagonist at all times.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
How would you guys feel if Robin used spells that s/he can't canonically use from older games?

Like starlight:

Blizzard would be easily made into an attack:

Or maybe Excalibur?

Meteor?

What would you like to see?

Morbi

Scavenger
Really? That's all it took? I mean, I've done a fair amount of writing on the Gematsu leak, as well as some of the characters that appear in it. That was just a small sample of what I have against the leak.

I think if someone like Chrom or Shulk were to be shown off as Assist Trophies, people would claim Sakurai is lying and actually showed off a playable character.

Though, the leak has bit of a distinction of being near impossible to prove wrong.
Until e3 that is; I do not believe the leak as it does not adhere to my preconceived notion of what the roster should entail. That is not really a discussion for this thread though (as it gets into why I believe Miis are not in the game and that Mewtwo/Ridley are). So I will just leave it at... Robin is not on the leak, so I do not trust it. :awesome:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Always figured the number 1 rule of villaindom would be that it is absolutely essential for you to leave unlocked treasure chests, arms/ammunition, and consumable goods entirely exposed for the protagonist at all times.
I thought it was to always leave keys to locked doors in places where the hero can get to them.

I mean, seriously, so many villains could have completely stopped the heroes opposing them by just moving a key to a place they can't get to, and the heroes could do nothing about it.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Actually that's rule number 2 and also includes the obligation to have health regen spots near your strongest minions.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I thought it was to always leave keys to locked doors in places where the hero can get to them.

I mean, seriously, so many villains could have completely stopped the heroes opposing them by just moving a key to a place they can't get to, and the heroes could do nothing about it.
And always monologue, monologues are very necessary. And NEVER kill the main hero.

Last edited:

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman

But then i wouldnt have an opportunity to monologe! - Every single villain ever

Edit:Iron fish! You win this time!

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
For the record, I am impartial to the characters in the leak. As long as they make the game more fun, they are welcome aboard.
How would you guys feel if Robin used spells that s/he can't canonically use from older games?

Like starlight:

Blizzard would be easily made into an attack:

Or maybe Excalibur?

Meteor?

What would you like to see?
Yeah.

The thing is, I don't really see the need to base any of the magic on very specific spells, anyways. The way they look, the way they are used, their rarity and notoriety, changes from game to game.

Robin uses magic from Fire Emblem. This button shoots balls of lightning, this button sends a wave of fire, etc. It doesn't have to be specific.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And sometimes make the one thing that can defeat you an obvious button.

"Yeah, I'll put an ax in my lair right behind a bridge that can be destroyed with the ax. There's no WAY that will backfire!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Also, always have block or button puzzles intead of or with keys.
And sometimes make the one thing that can defeat you an obvious button.

"Yeah, I'll put an ax in my lair right behind a bridge that can be destroyed with the ax. There's no WAY that will backfire!"
Also never actually try to kill the hero while he's weak and cant kill you that makes too much sense.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I think my favorite villain fail was Wiley in Mega Man 3.
"Hey Doctor Light, since we are working together now, why not build a giant peace keeping robot?" - "Sure, but we need some kind of failsafe. You don't mind me adding a weakness?" - "Certainly. I think ballet dancing would serve just fine" - "A bit odd, but why not." - "hehehe, sucker... there's NO way this could backfire!"

I think there's plenty of spells that could make for interesting moves. Bolganone, Excalibur, Flux and of course Thoron all have cool animations that could easily be made into interesting attacks.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
I think my favorite villain fail was Wiley in Mega Man 3.
"Hey Doctor Light, since we are working together now, why not build a giant peace keeping robot?" - "Sure, but we need some kind of failsafe. You don't mind me adding a weakness?" - "Certainly. I think ballet dancing would serve just fine" - "A bit odd, but why not." - "hehehe, sucker... there's NO way this could backfire!"

I think there's plenty of spells that could make for interesting moves. Bolganone, Excalibur, Flux and of course Thoron all have cool animations that could easily be made into interesting attacks.
To his credit it's a miracle said robot masters didn't just rebel, upgrade themselves and slaughter all of humanity as an unstopoble force.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Okay here is my A attacks for my Robin moveset, inspired buy his various attacks in his game

Weight/Speed: same as Link's Power: Slightly more than Link

He is good at jumping with good recovery, like Marth he focuses on spacing is very tactical with good projectiles and useing the Rally Spectrum idea I had, and also like Marth is more powerful at the tip, but not to as high of a degree as Marth. Mainly ground based, but good aerials.

Standard A attacks

A- a quick horizontal sword slice
AAA Jab Combo- ^ followed buy lower to upper diagonal sword swipe, then a very quick jump/spin (look at Robin in the unit preview thing you do buy tapping their portrait, when he is holding a sword)
Ftilt- Robin swings his sword like an axe
Dtilt- Robin swing his sword in a downward arc in front of him
Utilt- Robin swings his sword in an uppward arc, like Link but a smaller arc

Smashes

Fsmash- Robin leaps forward with his sword like his standard critical hit animation, it has good range but slow startup
Dsmash- Robin pulls out a Wind tome and does a spin making a mini-cyclone
Usmash- Robin charges his hands with electricity and hits the air above him, exactly like Lucario's Usmash but with electric damage

Aerials

Nair- Robin does a summer-salt in midair with his sword held out
Uair- Robin pulls out a fire tome and does a small fire blast
Dair- Robin hits stabs the air right bellow him, slightly less spammable then Lucario's Dair, but it can spike.
Fair- Robin swings his sword in front of him at a horizontal arc
Bair- Robin zaps the air behind him as he pulls out a thunder tome

Grabs
Pummel- Robin shocks the opponent
Fthrough- Robin shoots the opponent away with wind magic
Bthrough- Robin hits the opponent with fire magic
Uthrough- Robin shoots the opponent up into the with air magic
Dthrough- Robin shocks the opponent with thunder damage and tosses them into the ground

and my original specials
Neutral Special: Thoron
The "arcane symbol sphere" thing appears around Robin and he/she does the Tome pose with Thoron in his/her hands
and then shoots thunderbolt straight across stage from his/her direction (horizontal Pikachu thunder) doing damage but no knock-back (Fox's Laser)
a little cool-down between uses to prevent spamming.

Side Special: Bolognone
The "arcane symbol sphere" thing appears around Robin and he/she does the Tome pose with Bolognone in his/her hands
and then an eruption of fire appears a slight distance in front of him/her that damage those hit (like PK fire but it just appears no spark)
Can be charged for more power like a ranged Ike's eruption.

Up Special: Rexcalibur
The "arcane symbol sphere" thing appears around Robin and he/she does the Tome pose with Rexcalibur in his/her hands
and then he/she rushes up (like Lucario's extreme speed but does damage) leaving a mini cyclone in there wake that lasts for a second and damages any who touch it.

Down Special: Rally Spectrum
Works just like WFT's deep breathing

Final Smash: Ignis
Robin swing's his/her sword and if missed nothing happens and looses the smash if you hit an opponent they are knocked into background
and then you go to a field with the opponent standing it the battle goes into a FE13 style (like Capt.Falcon's in a F-Zero course) with Robin standing with his sword ready and the camera floating around like in awakening.
Robin's turn and attacks and gets Ignis trigger and says "time to tip the scales" or "checkmate" then hit's opponent with flower pedals everywhere
Then you return to the stage with flower pedals floating down for a moment with the hit opponents getting knocked very far usually KO'ing.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
For the record, I am impartial to the characters in the leak. As long as they make the game more fun, they are welcome aboard.Yeah.

The thing is, I don't really see the need to base any of the magic on very specific spells, anyways. The way they look, the way they are used, their rarity and notoriety, changes from game to game.

Robin uses magic from Fire Emblem. This button shoots balls of lightning, this button sends a wave of fire, etc. It doesn't have to be specific.
Well, Sakurai's kind of excessive with the source material usage on most characters.

I mean, watch this video:
Marth's fair also comes from Mystery of the Emblem's Mercenary attack, his forward smash is similar to his FE1 attack, and his sideways a is his Mystery of the Emblem normal attack.

That's just the extra stuff I noticed. I think there may even be more.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Another couple reasons why I think Robin has good chances to be in the game.

He/she is more "out there" than Chrom, and Sakurai has been adding characters few people expected like Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja. Also, Robin has a better/more obvious choice for a final smash than Chrom. Grima is most likely, but after that he/she can use any sort of powerful magic attacks.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the more I think about it, the more likely I feel Robin has to be in SSB4.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Another couple reasons why I think Robin has good chances to be in the game.

He/she is more "out there" than Chrom, and Sakurai has been adding characters few people expected like Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja. Also, Robin has a better/more obvious choice for a final smash than Chrom. Grima is most likely, but after that he/she can use any sort of powerful magic attacks.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the more I think about it, the more likely I feel Robin has to be in SSB4.
I would rather something like Ignis for a FS

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Ignis could be just the same a special move, like Aether.

If Great Ignis is a Final Smash I will break a baby in half.
I could even see Ignis being Robin's recovery like Aether. When wielding a sword in the Tactitian class set, Robin will always do the sword uppercut with Ignis. Otherwise I could see a wind spell recovery going together very well with the Ignis petals.

Hong

The Strongest
If Great Ignis is a Final Smash I will break a baby in half.
Sakurai: Give me a Fire Emblem character for Smash.
IS: Um, Ike is the most recent, though soon we'll be releasing a sequel to a game with a character named Mi--
Sakurai: Ike? Who the **** is that? Alright. Is this him? Looks kind of boring. What does he do?
IS: Ike? Well, he is a mercenary who wields the divine blade, Ragnell. He is super fa-
Sakurai: Yeah, yeah, Great. Does he have any cool moves?
IS: Fire Emblem doesn't really have that... but he can learn Aether as a special--
SakuraI: Awesome. Thanks. All I need to know. You may leave now.
IS: Are you sure? There is so much to I--
Sakurai: Security? Can you show this man to the door?

So what does Sakurai know about Ike? Um, he is strong enough to wield two hands with one sword and does aethers.:troll: Thanks for reinforcing how simplistic your knowledge of the character is by reminding us his unique occult skill is still in the game. We would have never expected Ike to use it otherwise. Such a pleasant surprise.

IronFish

Smash Ace
IS: Um, Ike is the most recent, though soon we'll be releasing a sequel to a game with a character named Mi--
Sakurai: Ike? Who the **** is that? Alright. Is this him? Looks kind of boring. What does he do?
IS: Ike? Well, he is a mercenary who wields the divine blade, Ragnell. He is super fa-
IS: Fire Emblem doesn't really have that... but he can learn Aether as a special--

So what does Sakurai know about Ike? Um, he is strong enough to wield two hands with one sword and does aethers.:troll: Thanks for reinforcing how simplistic your knowledge of the character is by reminding us his unique occult skill is still in the game. We would have never expected Ike to use it otherwise. Such a pleasant surprise.
what I hope isn't the case
Sakurai: Who was the star of FE13?
IS: Well there was this avatar named Robin, and a Prince named Ch-
Sakurai: Okay what's he look like? Does he have blue hair?
IS: Well he can but-
Sakurai: Okay and does he use a sword?
IS: Well ha can also use mag-
Sakurai: Okay thankyou see you in 8 years!
IS: But their is more to Robin than just-
Sakurai: Security!
Reggie: (security guard) This way sir!

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
what I hope isn't the case
Sakurai: Who was the star of FE13?
IS: Well there was this avatar named Robin, and a Prince named Ch-
Sakurai: Okay what's he look like? Does he have blue hair?
IS: Well he can but-
Sakurai: Okay and does he use a sword?
IS: Well ha can also use mag-
Sakurai: Okay thankyou see you in 8 years!
IS: But their is more to Robin than just-
Sakurai: Security!
Reggie: (security guard) This way sir!
This is kind of what every supporter of a certain character fears; their beloved character getting in the game, but being executed very poorly.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah, I really don't see how having Robin using a low level weapon like a bronze sword is a good idea. With magic stuff you can get away with whatever because tomes pretty much look the same at face value, but with everyone else wielding great divine blades and whatnot, a simple bronze sword would look rather bland in comparison. I'm not saying Robin shouldn't use a sword period, but it should be something a little better then a basic bronze-based item.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, I really don't see how having Robin using a low level weapon like a bronze sword is a good idea. With magic stuff you can get away with whatever because tomes pretty much look the same at face value, but with everyone else wielding great divine blades and whatnot, a simple bronze sword would look rather bland in comparison. I'm not saying Robin shouldn't use a sword period, but it should be something a little better then a basic bronze-based item.
They use "divine blades and whatnot" because they needed those to win. Using swords is their specialty.

Having a basic weapon for Robin conveys the idea she is flexible, but that's not her forte. Even though you could theoretically spec a Str-based Robin, she is thematically shown as a tome-user, and will be portrayed as such in Smash Bros. Her sword is not as good as Ragnell or Falchion, because it's not supposed to be on the same level.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
They use "divine blades and whatnot" because they needed those to win. Using swords is their specialty.

Having a basic weapon for Robin conveys the idea she is flexible, but that's not her forte. Even though you could theoretically spec a Str-based Robin, she is thematically shown as a tome-user, and will be portrayed as such in Smash Bros. Her sword is not as good as Ragnell or Falchion, because it's not supposed to be on the same level.
I do agree that Robin should be a jack of all trades, but isn't bronze a bit too low? There are interesting weapons that do not have high attack power and can still be more appealing to his style

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Robin should have a Brave Sword instead. There are quite a few ways a Brave Sword could make Robin's swordplay more unique from the other sword character.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I do agree that Robin should be a jack of all trades, but isn't bronze a bit too low? There are interesting weapons that do not have high attack power and can still be more appealing to his style
Robin should have a Brave Sword instead. There are quite a few ways a Brave Sword could make Robin's swordplay more unique from the other sword character.
Exactly what I mean. Robin doesn't need to use a special sword, but nonetheless something a bit better then a Bronze would be preferable.

Hong

The Strongest
That's a cool idea. A lot of ways to aesthetically represent the effects in Smash Bros.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As for sword talk: I think a simple Iron Sword would do.

Top Bottom