• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
So what do you guys think about Robin's playstyle? Will he be good in the air and terrible on the ground? The opposite? Or just a solid jack of all trades neither strong or weak in any aspect like Mario was intended to be. Will he be slow and strong like ganon or fast and weak like sonic?

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So what do you guys think about Robin's playstyle? Will he be good in the air and terrible on the ground? The opposite? Or just a solid jack of all trades neither strong or weak in any aspect like Mario was intended to be. Will he be slow and strong like ganon or fast and weak like sonic?
Well, the idea I have been toying around with has been leaning towards more ground base with somewhere around Marth's agility and Project M Roy's power/combo game.

Hong

The Strongest
I think she will have a poor air game, below-average speed, above average weight.

She will excel at territory control via her specials. Pillars of flame, mines of electricity, gusts of wind to push away her foes... lots of moves she could have to accomplish this. She has normals like Samus, which don't hit often, but when they do they hurt.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Pretty much what Hong said on the weight and speed.
Not exactly keen on the trap build, but it's unique for smash. I think a bunch of midrange spells with odd hitboxes and melee attacks with different weapons for every situation - the trick is knowing when to use which, and the timing for each one.

Hong

The Strongest
Pretty much what Hong said on the weight and speed.
Not exactly keen on the trap build, but it's unique for smash. I think a bunch of midrange spells with odd hitboxes and melee attacks with different weapons for every situation - the trick is knowing when to use which, and the timing for each one.
In any event, it seems people want something very tactical for the character, which would make sense given she is a tactician.

Looking at other projectile users, you have Samus who I would say is the Sagat of Smash Bros: not particularly fancy about what she does, because she doesn't have to be.
Link is tactical to an extent, but heavily harassment focused. A lot of emphasis on a rotation of bombs and boomerangs based on availability, with the bow being on reserve.
The last of the notable projectile-oriented characters would be Snake. he was very technical and unorthodox. Unlikely to return.
This time we will have Mega Man. He looks like a more mobile variety, highly focused on the mid-range since the Mega Buster shots vanish rather quickly. Out of all the projectile users, he seems the worst in close-quarters.
Villager may or may not be a viable zoning character. Will have to play test to find out.

Both Robin and Palutena have so much unexplored territory to cover. With Robin in particular, I hope she could opt to be more aggressive if she wants, like Link in that regard.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In any event, it seems people want something very tactical for the character, which would make sense given she is a tactician.

Looking at other projectile users, you have Samus who I would say is the Sagat of Smash Bros: not particularly fancy about what she does, because she doesn't have to be.
Link is tactical to an extent, but heavily harassment focused. A lot of emphasis on a rotation of bombs and boomerangs based on availability, with the bow being on reserve.
The last of the notable projectile-oriented characters would be Snake. he was very technical and unorthodox. Unlikely to return.
This time we will have Mega Man. He looks like a more mobile variety, highly focused on the mid-range since the Mega Buster shots vanish rather quickly. Out of all the projectile users, he seems the worst in close-quarters.

Both Robin and Palutena have so much unexplored territory to cover. With Robin in particular, I hope she could opt to be more aggressive if she wants, like Link in that regard.
Yeah, that sounds right. Robin should be a very "tactical" character being a Tactician after all, that's what would set her apart from Isaac. Well, one major reason anyway. There's numerous things that would allow them to coexist.

I still kinda doubt either Isaac or Robin would use a sword for more than a couple of attacks, though. Robin should be based more on magic and Isaac on Synergy.

Actually, that kinds gives me an idea. Could Robin have a magic "Mine" ability? I'm replaying Blazing Sword right now and I recall I recently got a Mine from someone. I never use them in-game, but it could be incorporated into Robin's moveset. I think Mine's appear in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn as well sometimes. I don't recall, though, its been a while.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
What do you think of a Ness type of down B but instead of healing with magic, it makes your own magic deal more knockback for the remaining of your current stock.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, that sounds right. Robin should be a very "tactical" character being a Tactician after all, that's what would set her apart from Isaac. Well, one major reason anyway. There's numerous things that would allow them to coexist.

I still kinda doubt either Isaac or Robin would use a sword for more than a couple of attacks, though. Robin should be based more on magic and Isaac on Synergy.
I would would definitely want Isaac to be a rush-down spellcaster. We don't have any of those, and he just seemed to be better suited for it than Robin. Not just his physique, but the psynergy in Golden Sun in general, combined with the fact Isaac specializes in Venus psynergy speficially, just has so many utility and control-based options that Fire Emblem can't really compare to.

Actually, that kinds gives me an idea. Could Robin have a magic "Mine" ability? I'm replaying Blazing Sword right now and I recall I recently got a Mine from someone. I never use them in-game, but it could be incorporated into Robin's moveset.
This is the kind of move I want.

Originally had that in the moveset I had made, but opted for time-bombs instead. Not that I think they are better... it was hard to choose between the two.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for custom special moves: Choose between magical mines, or magical timed bombs.

What do you think of a Ness type of down B but instead of healing with magic, it makes your own magic deal more knockback for the remaining of your current stock.
Ignis? :troll:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I don't like ignis. It's randomly activated and just deals more damage. I'm talking about reserving specifically the down B to Make him absorb energy based attacks and make his own magic do more knockback as in it makes your opponents fly away further when you hit them without necessarily making more damage.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't like ignis. It's randomly activated and just deals more damage. I'm talking about reserving specifically the down B to Make him absorb energy based attacks and make his own magic do more knockback as in it makes your opponents fly away further when you hit them without necessarily making more damage.
Not like PSI Magnet was faithful to its source material. Wasn't that I necessarily disagreed with your move idea with that post, so much as I assume they would just call it that because that's how Sakurai rolls.

I don't like it for the same reason I don't like PSI Magnet. I don't like moves that rely on the enemy not only having energy-based attacks, but using them. That is way too oddly specific. Ness mains can go a hundred matches against Samus and not once benefit from PSI Magnet.

At least with shines, sure they reflect, but that's not why people like it. The Star Fox characters were given amazing attacks that just so happen to reflect, but despite the fact they are called "Reflectors", it is an entirely ulterior benefit. I would even be so bold to say that people rather powershield a projectile than use their shine in this day and age.

Last edited:

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.
Not like PSI Magnet was faithful to its source material. Wasn't that I necessarily disagreed with your move idea with that post, so much as I assume they would just call it that because that's how Sakurai rolls.

I don't like it for the same reason I don't like PSI Magnet. I don't like moves that rely on the enemy not only having energy-based attacks, but using them. That is way too oddly specific. Ness mains can go a hundred matches against Samus and not once benefit from PSI Magnet.

At least with shines, sure they reflect, but that's not why people like it. The Star Fox characters were given amazing attacks that just so happen to reflect, but despite the fact they are called "Reflectors", it is an entirely ulterior benefit. I would even be so bold to say that people rather powershield a projectile than use their shine in this day and age.
His down b should be rally spectum, makes more sense.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman

I See your point and I agree. But I was still curious what you guys would think about it since a move like that isn't out of the question since it's been done before. Of course it probably won't be exactly like I say it could be, but I'm curious about what Sakurai has in mind really there isn't much we can do meanwhile.

Hong

The Strongest
I'd rather not have a move that only works in team battles, there would have to be something more to it, did you have something in mind?
Smash Bros is anything but exact to its source material.

If Rally Spectrum is in Smash Bros, it will affect the user. No need to consider balance of the ability in Fire Emblem, otherwise Ike would wreck Robin and Marth.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros is anything but exact to its source material.

If Rally Spectrum is in Smash Bros, it will affect the user. No need to consider balance of the ability in Fire Emblem, otherwise Ike would wreck Robin and Marth.
So we have the name of the move, but what about the specifics?

Hong

The Strongest
So we have the name of the move, but what about the specifics?
Well, since it's Rally Spectrum specificailly, it would be an all-around buff that increases damage dealt, launch power, movement speed, jumping ability, and decrease damage received.

Which is awfully boring. One could tweak it to empower your next Smash attack or something, but it would still be rather eventful. Rather just give Robin a new spell to throw at her enemies entirely.
Wait, does that mean that lucina is samus!?
I'm okay with this as long as Nintendo doesn't gradually objectify her more and more with every appearance.
Edit - Like this.
I wouldn't mind seeing zero suit Lucina

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Well, since it's Rally Spectrum specificailly, it would be an all-around buff that increases damage dealt, launch power, movement speed, jumping ability, and decrease damage received.

Which is awfully boring. One could tweak it to empower your next Smash attack or something, but it would still be rather eventful. Rather just give Robin a new spell to throw at her enemies entirely.
I'm okay with this as long as Nintendo doesn't gradually objectify her more and more with every appearance.
Edit - Like this.
I agree, we already have WFT for that rally spectrum type move. And while we're on the subject does anyone else occasionally get confused between WTF and WFT?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think Robin shouldn't heavily lean towards magic or swordplay but rather instead both be represented almost equally.

My idea is something like this; grounded attacks (tilts, smashes, and jab) should be swordplay which is about 7 or so moves while Specials and and 4 aerials should be magic, for 8 magic moves. The 5th aerial move could be a sword attack for a totally of 8 and 8. Grab and pummel can be physical while the throws are more magical. Now with the swordplay Robin could have a Brave Sword equipped and could have a gimmick of being able to cancel a sword attack into another attack, but this can only be done once at a time (basically if Robin were to cancel attack A into attack B then attack B cannot be canceled), or a jump but aerials and throws cannot be canceled. I'm still working out how I want the magic attacks to work.

Last edited:

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.

Edit - Like this.
Aww cmon , this is the middle ages so zero suit lucina is probebly just lucina without her gloves.

Hong

The Strongest
I would like to think my Robin had a decent balance of brain and brawn.

For as many moves as she should have magical or physical, I think she should have as many that accomplish both. Slashes of flame, fists of thunders, kicks of cascading winds. A lot of untapped potential as far as the elements go.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I see a lot of people suggesting Brave Sword for gameplay purposes... But I'm not the only one who things that thing is ugly as sin, right? RIGHT?
I'd rather have the same gameplay be shown in the form of Astra, if at all.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I would like to think my Robin had a decent balance of brain and brawn.

For as many moves as she should have magical or physical, I think she should have as many that accomplish both. Slashes of flame, fists of thunders, kicks of cascading winds. A lot of untapped potential as far as the elements go.
This gave me an interesting idea for a Nspecial.

If you press and hold Nspecial Robin will start charging up, if you push up on the control stick wind will be charged, left is fire, right is dark (yesI know Robin can't actually use dark, but frankly I don't care), and down is thunder. This charged up power could last for a X amount of time and depending on the element that got charged Robin will have a different effect on the sword. Fire means more damage, thunder is more KB but slower, wind is fast but less KB, and dark could make the sword shoot out dark waves from the attacks or something and overall give more range.

I see a lot of people suggesting Brave Sword for gameplay purposes... But I'm not the only one who things that thing is ugly as sin, right? RIGHT
That's blasphemous talk right there.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I see a lot of people suggesting Brave Sword for gameplay purposes... But I'm not the only one who things that thing is ugly as sin, right? RIGHT?
No you're definitively not the only one. Blue isnt a good color for Robin. I'd much rather see the armorslayer.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly like the Brave Sword; I do not necessarily believe that it fits Robin, but I would not labor any disdain if that was the final choice.

No you're definitively not the only one. Blue isnt a good color for Robin. I'd much rather see the armorslayer.
Blue is a good color for Robin if she has blue hair! :troll:

Hong

The Strongest
A shame the Levin Sword is so heinously ugly. Looks like something Wario would wield.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I honestly like the Brave Sword; I do not necessarily believe that it fits Robin, but I would not labor any disdain if that was the final choice.

Blue is a good color for Robin if she has blue hair! :troll:
I always forget that she can have different color of hair. In my mind it's black by default

Top Bottom