• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Dropkick Laser

Smash Apprentice
So, can someone explain whether vectoring was a glitch that was patched or just a mechanic they included and decided to remove?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I like Robin even more than I did at release. I feel like a legitimate Robin main again, because the ever-so-slight changes really made for a world of difference somehow. I guess it's because the people I play against reeeeeeeeeally know how to eek all the little things like vectoring, so people were just living so long in an already defence-favoui game. It's an anti-combo, anti-KO mechanic, and had no place in Smash to the extent that it was.

Of course I'm not going to go full placebo and act like it's a brand new game, but it's a noticeable improvement in the experience. This, combined with the awesome tournament I saw on the Wii U version tonight, has me actually looking forward to this Friday a fair bit.
Does the removal of vectoring really increase Robin's K.O. potential that much? Robin already had no shortage of reliable kill moves, so the idea that some of those moves have been made even more dangerous is a scary and exciting thought.

Oh, and speaking of the Wii U version, you'll keep us updated on how Robin plays on that version, won't you? I'm dying to know just what kind of effect the improved control scheme has on a character like Robin.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Eh, i'm not so sure if this will help me improve, my friend still destroys me with his Shiek anyway :dazwa:

Dropkick Laser

Smash Apprentice
Eh, i'm not so sure if this will help me improve, my friend still destroys me with his Shiek anyway :dazwa:
My friend, Sheik cannot kill now. It's almost as simple as that. (Now watch my argument get ripped to shreds by everyone else.)

Hong

The Strongest
Does the removal of vectoring really increase Robin's K.O. potential that much? Robin already had no shortage of reliable kill moves, so the idea that some of those moves have been made even more dangerous is a scary and exciting thought.
We're talking possibly killing 20%~ sooner on LS uair give or take based on height of the attack and weight of the victim. I recommend taking a quick glance over some of the 1.0.3 VS 1.0.4 comparisons seen here. LS fair and bair do have diagonal upwards launches, so in some situations they will benefit, but not as much as LS uair. Needless to say, LS usmash will be greatly enhanced as well.

It's also a chance to see how much we can chain uairs and fairs at early percentages, especially off of dthrows against heavyweights. We really have no idea how much this will affect the game yet, but it has me interested.
Oh, and speaking of the Wii U version, you'll keep us updated on how Robin plays on that version, won't you? I'm dying to know just what kind of effect the improved control scheme has on a character like Robin.
Ha ha. Well, I need to head out of town Friday evening, but I'll try to play it as much as I can before I leave and after I come back. If all goes well, i should hopefully have the GC adapter the week later, but I've heard some horror stories about people ordering from Amazon not getting theirs until January. Thankfully I have plenty of Classic Controllers and a few Wii U Pro pads.
Dude Sheik will take like a thousand years to kill you now.

While we're all having fun with our supernova-empowered Levin Sword, Sheik will be slapping people around with a bloated fish carcass.

Edit -
I didn't know vectoring was removed o:
At least vertically. It will still influence horizontal kills, because you can't scale upward as highly off a launch as you could previously. We're still trying to figure out the intricacies of what's going on with horizontal influence, but for now it seems the best way to live is to either hold up and towards the stage, or hold towards the stage and mash forward air.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581

So in 24 hours, I'm gonna be torn between playing Pokemon Omega Ruby and Smash 4 Wii U and and up failing at trying to do both at the same time

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

So in 24 hours, I'm gonna be torn between playing Pokemon Omega Ruby and Smash 4 Wii U and and up failing at trying to do both at the same time
Same. I preordered the Smash bundle with the GC controller and Alpha Sapphire so there goes 150 dollars, but it's worth it for HD, MUSIC, AND HOENNNN
7.8 too much water though

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form

SSB Wii U will have to wait at least a month, but OR I'm grabbing ASAP. I've been wanting more Hoenn for years.

Hopefully I can get it Friday night. If I have to wait until I go home for Thanksgiving, it'll feel like years.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No Battle Frontier, no character customization = No ORAS for me.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
There's a tournament tomorrow at the same Gamestop where I got my free SSB3DS copy, this time with SSBWU as the prize.

I don't want to stay until 2 in the morning like last time, but I'm still going for it.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So, if I understand correctly, this update:

-Removed a situational glitch that gave Robin a third jump

+Improved Robin's recovery by making it safer, thus allowing Robin greater freedom off-stage
+Nerfed a number of Robin's worst match ups
+Removed Vectoring, allowing Robin to take greater advantage of his/her good vertical kill potential

Seems like it's a good day to be a Robin main. :colorful:
Which match up?

Shaymikyu

No customization was a letdown but didn't surprise me too much, but no Battle Frontier was a crime.

Still, everything else looks good enough to me. If I could love R/S with no Battle Frontier, then I can live with it here.

I'm SUPER easy to please with Pokémon, though. The only games I can think of that I played and disliked were Dash and B2/W2 (and even that latter one has grown on me after revisiting it- I love Pokéstar and a lot of the side stuff and new and improved Unova, the main journey just didn't stick with me).

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So, if I understand correctly, this update:

+Improved Robin's recovery by making it safer, thus allowing Robin greater freedom off-stage
+Removed Vectoring, allowing Robin to take greater advantage of his/her good vertical kill potential

Seems like it's a good day to be a Robin main. :colorful:
-Presented a new unfavorable matchup in Ike.

Maybe I've just been sucked into the Ike hype, but with his new buffs and the existence of Close Combat I don't see this matchup working very well.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
The lack of customization does suck since it's hard to decide between Brenden or May but eh, whatever. I don't think BF will matter too much since most Pokemon learn new moves and there's new Megas to use in post game wifi battles, but if you don't like wifi battling, I can see the issue.
There's a tournament tomorrow at the same Gamestop where I got my free SSB3DS copy, this time with SSBWU as the prize.

I don't want to stay until 2 in the morning like last time, but I'm still going for it.
GOOD LUCK! Smash your opponents with magic and by throwing books at them :4robinm::4robinf:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sigh, looking at this buffs to Robin

the name of the thread (though funny as it is) and all of Lucina buffs makes me sad

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

The lack of customization does suck since it's hard to decide between Brenden or May but eh, whatever. I don't think BF will matter too much since most Pokemon learn new moves and there's new Megas to use in post game wifi battles, but if you don't like wifi battling, I can see the issue.

GOOD LUCK! Smash your opponents with magic and by throwing books at them :4robinm::4robinf:
May is one of my favorite Pokémon girls anyway, and her design here is cute, so I'll be fine. I hope this doesn't mean that future games won't have customization and it remains a Kalos exclusive like HG/SS and the following Pokémon, though.

No BF stinks hard, but it was up in the air since they're remaking R/S, not Emerald. Then again, HG/SS did borrow Crystal elements. At least it sounds like we'll have more to do after beating the game than X and Y or even the original R/S. The new Secret Bases look like a dream come true, and
that "Delta Episode" looks intriguing. I mean, it's Pokémon, so I'm not expecting too much out of it, but SPACE BATTLES WITH RAYQUAZA AND DEOXYS.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
What Lucina buffs? (those ones Robertman posted don't count unless proven otherwise)
Oh. Well still, see all the buffs Robin has gotten compared to :4tlink: makes me upset

:4tlink: Buffs
None

:4tlink: Nerfs

-Removal of BLC (though to be honest I have never really used it)

I suppose he get his buffs another day :4tlink:

Pikachewy99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PikachewySAC
3DS FC
4270-1328-9930
Same. I preordered the Smash bundle with the GC controller and Alpha Sapphire so there goes 150 dollars, but it's worth it for HD, MUSIC, AND HOENNNN
7.8 too much water though
Oh man, I'm torn between getting Oras and fea. I suppose I could get Oras another day, but the hype in this thread is getting me hyped too.
I could get both but then ALL MY MONEY WILL BE GONE (though I don't have any other games that I'm looking forward to. I still like to have extra money in my pocket though in case something new and cool comes out.). There smash bros WiiU of course, but since I don't even own a WIIU that's definitely not something I'm going to buy.
Yet.

Soon.
I will be waiting for you, cape physics Robin. :4robinm:

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
Oh man, I'm torn between getting Oras and fea. I suppose I could get Oras another day, but the hype in this thread is getting me hyped too.
I could get both but then ALL MY MONEY WILL BE GONE (though I don't have any other games that I'm looking forward to. I still like to have extra money in my pocket though in case something new and cool comes out.). There smash bros WiiU of course, but since I don't even own a WIIU that's definitely not something I'm going to buy.
Yet.

Soon.
Both! Decision is now decided.

[ & ]

Smash Cadet
The hype for the WiiU version is real. Doing all my homework and projects now so I have time to binge-play this weekend. Wish me luck guys. I may not make it out alive.

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
The hype for the WiiU version is real. Doing all my homework and projects now so I have time to binge-play this weekend. Wish me luck guys. I may not make it out alive.
My best wishes to you. All my tests end next week which means as soon as it comes out over here, there is gonna be non stop smash.

Shaymikyu

Yet.

Soon.
Hmm, that's a tough call... Both are on eShop and not going anywhere, too.

If you're in a Pokémon mood, get OR/AS first. If you are in a SRPG mood or want more Robin, go FE:A. Or, get only one version of OR/AS and FE:A.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
No, he'll get it today...

Trust me, that totally works.
Not really. *Sigh* I mean, I'm still going to main him, but if I'm honest, Toon LInk does need a buff here and there, not to many, but still a few

P.S. You can also play as Young Link! We wish...
DON'T EVER JOKE ABOUT THAT :c. I really wish Young Link was in, it makes me sad his not..........

*goes to corner and starts crying*

Lucky you :p. (I still need to get a wii u)

Oh @ Pikachewy99 Pikachewy99 , how are the drawings of my and @ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu coming along?

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
So, can someone explain whether vectoring was a glitch that was patched or just a mechanic they included and decided to remove?
I apologize. Your query was buried under all the hype.

The most likely possibility is this is an intentional change. The reason why I think we had a massive patch so soon is not because Nintendo is antsy to patch the game, but because of added development time of the Wii U version. While the Wii U version was going through QA, they had nothing less than hundreds of bodies and twice as many grubby hands and eyes involved with the process. During the QA period for the Wii U version, they not only had lots of feedback with people playing the 3DS version, but lots of people to scout out what's going on. What's working, what isn't, how are people responding, and of course more in-house play in general.

So long story short, they had more time to realize how awful vectoring was.

The less likely possibility is they "accidentally broke" vectoring while trying to fix the Wario momentum glitch. In this unlikely possibility, we risk vectoring being "fixed" in a future patch.

I sincerely hope this is not the case. :054:

Shaymikyu

Forgot to mention- @ Pikachewy99 Pikachewy99 , FE:A has a free demo you can get through the eShop, so you can try it and see how much it grabs you. If you immediately love it, get FE:A. If not, play OR/AS first. OR/AS has a demo too, but I'm not sure if it was ever made available on the eShop or just though codes.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
On one hand, Wally gets a nice theme and a unique battle theme in ORAS. And I love music.

On the other hand..

Then again, we can give Oak the bird.

I'm conflicted.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

On one hand, Wally gets a nice theme and a unique battle theme in ORAS. And I love music.

On the other hand..

Then again, we can give Oak the bird.

I'm conflicted.
On the first point- he does? It makes me so happy to see Wally getting love this time. The kid was fine before, but he felt so neglected, even more than Brendan/May. I didn't know he got unique music, though. Is there a link?
Second point- NOPE. Preorder cancelled worst Pokémon game to date nostalgia ruined too much water.
Third point- I feel like I'm witnessing some sin again nature. How is this even possible? After all these years...

Dropkick Laser

Smash Apprentice
DON'T EVER JOKE ABOUT THAT :c. I really wish Young Link was in, it makes me sad his not..........

*goes to corner and starts crying*
Sorry. I'm a terrible person, I know. I'd put down a gif, but let's face it: you've all probably had enough of Hades by now, and his gifs are the ones I like best. And I'm too lazy. And I need to go to bed right now.

Oh, and I'm starting another Awakening run. Build 2 male Avatar looks absolutely sick with long hair. Like some sort of rock star-magician-god-Hollywood actor.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sorry. I'm a terrible person, I know. I'd put down a gif, but let's face it: you've all probably had enough of Hades by now, and his gifs are the ones I like best. And I'm too lazy. And I need to go to bed right now.

Oh, and I'm starting another Awakening run. Build 2 Avatar looks absolutely sick with long hair. Like some sort of rock star- magician-god-Hollywood actor.
Thank you for your kindness

*hugs Dropkick Laser*

Shaymikyu

Oh, and I'm starting another Awakening run. Build 2 Avatar looks absolutely sick with long hair. Like some sort of rock star- magician-god-Hollywood actor.
I've Streetpassed a Sorcerer Build 2 male Robin that looked actually pretty mature. I didn't even realize he was Build 2 until I saw the bandage on the face.

As a side note, it's fun seeing what class everyone chooses for their Robin. My original is a Sage, male Robin will end on Grandmaster once I finish getting all the skills I want, and Pigtails will either end on Paladin, Hero, or Grandmaster. Leaning toward Paladin or Hero to be different, though.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
On the first point- he does? It makes me so happy to see Wally getting love this time. The kid was fine before, but he felt so neglected, even more than Brendan/May. I didn't know he got unique music, though. Is there a link?
Linked it in an edit, because I forgot to do so originally for some reason.

The battle theme was discovered 20 minutes ago, so no chance of hearing that for a few hours.

Got this though.

Shaymikyu

Linked it in an edit, because I forgot to do so originally for some reason.

The battle theme was discovered 20 minutes ago, so no chance of hearing that for a few hours.

Got this though.
Aww, it's adorable. Perfect for him. He's slowly becoming one of my favorite Hoenn characters.

And makes sense. I can't wait to hear it, even if it's firsthand in two days.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I've Streetpassed a Sorcerer Build 2 male Robin that looked actually pretty mature. I didn't even realize he was Build 2 until I saw the bandage on the face.

As a side note, it's fun seeing what class everyone chooses for their Robin. My original is a Sage, male Robin will end on Grandmaster once I finish getting all the skills I want, and Pigtails will either end on Paladin, Hero, or Grandmaster. Leaning toward Paladin or Hero to be different, though.
I hate build 2's hair. Seriously, it makes him look like a girl.

Pretty X3.

Shaymikyu

I hate build 2's hair. Seriously, it makes him look like a girl.

Pretty X3.
I've only seen him through Streetpass since my only male Robin is plain old Build 1, so I don't know what it's like. I think I briefly looked at it when I was building Lady's Man Robin, but none of the options appealed to me, which is odd considering he shares that build with male Morgan. I adore male Morgan.

Pikachewy99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PikachewySAC
3DS FC
4270-1328-9930
Honestly, I should probably do that too, but ap language and composition homework is HORRIBLY boring. It's not difficult, it's just tedious. Very very tedious and time consuming, and I don't learn anything.

Both! Decision is now decided.
Welp, I have nothing to lose!... Except time that could've been used to sleep or do homework, but I end up going on here instead of being productive and smart.

TEENAGE LOGIC.
How to be successful in school:
Don't act like me. :p

Hmm, that's a tough call... Both are on eShop and not going anywhere, too.

If you're in a Pokémon mood, get OR/AS first. If you are in a SRPG mood or want more Robin, go FE:A. Or, get only one version of OR/AS and FE:A.
I never planned on getting both or/as so I probably will just buy one version and FE:A. The question is when my parents will be able to bring me out.
Wait...
I have a dentist appointment on Friday.
Perfect.
(Now that's strategy!)

I can't wait to play army of shadows with my cousin again. At the time I still had fea, me and my cousin were training up Cynthia and Walhart, so they were both the general (? I think that's the class with pavise) class, and whenever they landed a crit they would do a dolphin dive into the opponent, and it was HILARIOUS since first off it's WALHART diving gracefully, and he was in Kellam's giant armor.
*intense flashbacks of risen with the extremely high crit rates, lethality, and counter/pavise/aegis*
Well... At least it's not lunatic+. :urg:
I saw my cousin play it and it was brutal. How do you even fight lethality and vantage+?!

Wait. Earlier I made a reference to Kel.. Um...? Who was I talking about again? Probably some new DLC character they plan on releasing. That's weird.

Forgot to mention- @ Pikachewy99 Pikachewy99 , FE:A has a free demo you can get through the eShop, so you can try it and see how much it grabs you. If you immediately love it, get FE:A. If not, play OR/AS first. OR/AS has a demo too, but I'm not sure if it was ever made available on the eShop or just though codes.
Ah, well I have already played few and I really liked it. I lost it before I beat the last stage. (Ironically I
Spent all my time grinding up my units and passing down the skills I needed and never actually got to fight Grima. I originally got invested by playing on my cousins dsi. He still has that very first file if I remember correctly. :p
As for Oras, I actually did get the demo via demo code but I only played it twice.

how are the drawings of my and @ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu coming along?
I got to the clothes
Then I cried
Because I have drawn and colored those robes so many times
My poor black colored pencils
Idk, coloring large areas the same flat color isn't fun, especially since I'm not capable of high level folds, so it's all flat coloring. It should be done.
Eventually.
Too preoccupied with a swaggy ink art MLG PRO Robin picture at the moment.
:4charizard: Stars in it, of course.

Whew. Now that was a doozy of a reply. I ought to be resting now, so I'll be back in the morning. Until then, change fate and spread Robinism while I'm gone. :4robinm:knowing me I'll still be on here for 30 or so more minutes

I wonder what will happen once I check back. Please no more sanicapocalypse.

Top Bottom