• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Morbi

Scavenger
Robin is obviously in! You are crazy if you think we will be getting two blue haired swordsmen with shoulder armor. lol
I seriously hope that you are joking; as much as I want Robin, as much as I believe her to be more likely as e3 approaches... that justification...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I seriously hope that you are joking; as much as I want Robin, as much as I believe her to be more likely as e3 approaches... that justification...
I do believe that (along with a number of previous posts) was a joke.

Hong

The Strongest
I think Sonic was done right in Smash. Sonic's moveset should based on the older games, not his modern atrocities.
It would be more interesting, though.
I was just so upset that Sonic probably played a part in Brawl's delay, and half of his buttons literally involve spinning.

I know, I know. That's his thing. But I still think he could have had more kicks and stuff to spice things up. I hope they change that up a bit for Smash 4.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Well that goes without saying. Stash for both genders and we're golden.
Sakurai at E3: "We are very pleased to announce a new mode in Super Smash Bros! Beard Mode is literally the exact same as any other mode, except all characters have silly beards and mustaches." *Shows bearded Rosalina, Pikachu, and Sonic. Ganondorf is there too. His beard has a beard.*

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.
Sakurai at E3: "We are very pleased to announce a new mode in Super Smash Bros! Beard Mode is literally the exact same as any other mode, except all characters have silly beards and mustaches." *Shows bearded Rosalina, Pikachu, and Sonic. Ganondorf is there too. His beard has a beard.*
After they see the annoucement they already know which character they were going to annonce afterwards. The suspence was killing them, all boilling down to one moment... Cervantes confirmed... Wii u sales increase ten thousand fold! Sony, Microsoft, Steam and EA all vaporise after hearing that statement! Nintendo Quits the gaming industry after all everyone on earth commits suicide, Knowing that nothing else will be as awesome as that one moment!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am replaying Awakening (in anticipation of Robin in Smash) and I have to say, she is one of the most bland characters in the game. I did not realize it at first, but she is honestly more boring than Chrom. I still love her, but I find it really odd that Chrom gets criticized for being more boring than Mrs. No Personality. It is not relevant to her chances in Smash, but I am certainly supporting her for her move-set potential and diversity. She is not really an interesting character in my opinion.

Hong

The Strongest
I got to admire @ Narwalgod Narwalgod . Not only has he seemingly read this entire topic, but he is even loyal to his avatar. Well done. 10/10

Also, something has been on my mind: What does everyone think about Robin's properties? We talk about her moves a lot, but not her attributes. Ground speed, jump height (double and single) air speed, gravity, and weight are all core attributes to a character.

I don't think Robin should be a particularly nimble character. She has a surcoat and some light armour under that robe, plus her tome. I would also say her aerial speed and jumping ability would also be hindered. I would say she should be a bit lighter than Link and have roughly the same falling speed, in that regard.

I don't think Robin should be able to take to the skies and excel, anyway. I would imagine she has good anti-air technology to compensate for that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am replaying Awakening (in anticipation of Robin in Smash) and I have to say, she is one of the most bland characters in the game. I did not realize it at first, but she is honestly more boring than Chrom. I still love her, but I find it really odd that Chrom gets criticized for being more boring than Mrs. No Personality. It is not relevant to her chances in Smash, but I am certainly supporting her for her move-set potential and diversity. She is not really an interesting character in my opinion.
I don't think anyone really supports Robin or Chrom for their personalities. It's really all about that they have to offer as characters on the Smash roster, and what they represent as Fire Emblem characters.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
She is supposed to be like that and it works just fine. Protagonists in RPGs are supposed to be blank slates like that. Chrom, on other hand, isn't a protagonist (player character). And he still is extremely boring and bland. The only thing he has for him is the looks (seriously, he is kinda hot).

By the way, I like how apparently most people refer to Robin as she/her. When a character in video games can be of any sex, people usually go with male and call it a "he" (see Shepard in Mass Effect, for example).

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I actually like Robin's personality. :( Dialogue is a mixed bag, but she has a lot of spunk in battle. This is the part that would reflect most in Smash Bros.
The only thing he has for him is the looks (seriously, he is kinda hot).
"Kinda" she says. >.>

Matthew Mercer's voice only extrapolates his attractiveness.
By the way, I like how apparently most people refer to Robin as she/her. When a character in video games can be of any sex, people usually go with male and call it a "he" (see Shepard in Mass Effect, for example).
I think roster balance has something to do with it. In my case, I just always default she.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think half of the reason of why people call Chrom so bland is because of how bland his gameplay seems; it doesn't really bring anything new, whereas Robin would have a lot more variety.

At least that's how I see it because I judge characters on gameplay only.

Reila

Someone mentioned Chrom will not be playable because he has blue hair, like Marth and Ike. Obviously this isn't a reason to not add a character to the roster, BUT it is one of the reasons I would rather have playable Robin over Chrom. Variety, you know? Robin would offer a lot more of variety, in terms of design, gameplay, etc.
I actually like Robin's personality. :( Dialogue is a mixed bag, but she has a lot of spunk in battle. This is the part that would reflect most in Smash Bros."Kinda" she says. >.>

Matthew Mercer's voice only extrapolates his attractiveness.I think roster balance has something to do with it. In my case, I just always default she.
Ah, I am not really into guys haha. But I am also not blind. There is no deny Chrom is a cutie. :)

You're right, people do expect more females in Smash Sisters Bros. I wonder if people would refer to Villager as a she if both Villagers were announced at the same time?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
...Holy crap, Reila was a lesbian this entire time. :005: (...At least, I think? She could be asexual.)
Anyways, yeah. Blah blah Robin IS Awakening blah blah he's not just a swordsman blah blah he could sport multiple appearances blah blah blah.
Let us get to the real question here: Where is he going to find bear meat?

Hong

The Strongest
(...At least, I think? She could be asexual.)
For all the times I joke about it, I don't actually personally find Chrom, or any of the Awakening characters attractive either. Well, I guess technically Gaius in the literal sense. I have a thing for sweets. >.>

Though I sure as heck know how to present attractive characters. Unfortunately, in this world, it has become important in game design.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I've always really liked Robin for his/her personality as well as design and fighting style. I suppose by Robin's own self he/she is quite bland like Chrom, but what I like about both characters is how that meshes with the other characters. Robin (more so the Male) and Chrom could be described as being the.. uh.. "reaction" characters in the group? Can't think of a definitive term. But they're more the normal and level-headed characters amidst a largely colorful army, and the responses and relationships with that group is what really builds their characters to me.

For Chrom an example would be during the recruitment scene for Noire, she and Tharja eventually start going off an a crazy evil laughing spree and Chrom is like "Oh, this is just wonderful..." with the best grimace on his face. Chrom's famous Cynthia recruitment when he's her father is another good example: "...Please tell me I never actually say that."

Robin, at least for the most part, is the same way as Chrom in that regard, like when dealing with Lissa's antics like when Lissa wakes Robin up and he/she is like "Risen! Wolves! Risen riding wolves!" For me personally I guess I kinda like that type of character... but maybe I'm just easily pleased.

What makes them work as the boring characters though is that their environment builds their character much more than some other basic characters like, say... Ike, our other Smash Bros. character. Ike is about as bland as Chrom or Robin alone, but he gives nearly no reaction to anything and to be honest could be pretty accurately compared to a statue. If any of the situations stated above happened to him, he'd be like "Okay. Moving on." like he usually does in his own game. This could be simply chalked up to the difference in writing in each game though.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Well folks, our moment of truth is but a week away. A week from today plus another Monday, e3 will kick off on Tuesday. We will no doubt get another flood of Smash unless they will save character announcements for the day after.

I AM SEEING A TRAILER, IT GOES LIKE THIS

Screen dark
Marth: Ike, we have to do something!
Ike: What do you propose we do?
Marth: I... I don't know!
Eyes open.
Marth: Ah!
Ike: I see you're awake now.
Marth: Hey there.
Ike: There are better places to take a nap than the ground you know. Give me your hand.
Ike offers his hand. A woman's hand extends to Ike and he pulls her up.
Camera is now at the back of Robin's cloak, hood up as the stranger faces Marth and Ike. She grabs her hood and...

discards her cloak in one motion to reveal.

ANNA CASHES IN!

Sakurai: (laughs)

:troll:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well folks, our moment of truth is but a week away. A week from today plus another Monday, e3 will kick off on Tuesday. We will no doubt get another flood of Smash unless they will save character announcements for the day after.

I AM SEEING A TRAILER, IT GOES LIKE THIS

Screen dark
Marth: Ike, we have to do something!
Ike: What do you propose we do?
Marth: I... I don't know!
Eyes open.
Marth: Ah!
Ike: I see your awake now.
Marth: Hey there.
Ike: There are better places to take a nap than the ground you know. Give me your hand.
Ike offers his hand. A woman's hand extends to Ike and he pulls her up.
Camera is now at the back of Robin's cloak, hood up as the stranger faces Marth and Ike. She grabs her hood and...

discards her cloak in one motion to reveal.

ANNA CASHES IN!

Sakurai: (laughs)

:troll:
You monster.

Though, in regards to E3, there was something I was thinking about. How likely is it that Chrom would be revealed at E3? Is he E3 material? And if he isn't revealed at E3, is he really the kind of character they'd keep secret? I realize this is more about another character than Robin him/herself, but considering that Chrom is Robin's biggest obstacle, I suppose it's relevant.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Though, in regards to E3, there was something I was thinking about. How likely is it that Chrom would be revealed at E3? If he E3 material? And if he isn't revealed at E3, is he really the kind of character they'd keep secret? I realize this is more about another character than Robin him/herself, but considering that Chrom is Robin's biggest obstacle, I suppose it's relevant.
There are a lot of variables.

If SMT x FE is shown at e3, it would be beneficial to reveal Chrom, since there is a chance there won't even be a conventional Tactician in that game, and some generic anime character will be the one summoning stuff.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There are a lot of variables.

If SMT x FE is shown at e3, it would be beneficial to reveal Chrom, since there is a chance there won't even be a conventional Tactician in that game, and some generic anime character will be the one summoning stuff.
Yes, that is certainly one possibility.

And what if Chrom isn't shown off? I would think that his inclusion wouldn't be kept secret. On the other hand, I could see them hiding Robin until after the game is released.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
You monster.

Though, in regards to E3, there was something I was thinking about. How likely is it that Chrom would be revealed at E3? If he E3 material? And if he isn't revealed at E3, is he really the kind of character they'd keep secret? I realize this is more about another character than Robin him/herself, but considering that Chrom is Robin's biggest obstacle, I suppose it's relevant.
This may be my over-thinking things, but I believe Ike was revealed just before E3 for the very purpose of appearing in the trailer for an Awakening character's reveal.

Morbi

Scavenger
You monster.

So you criticize me for typing "if" as opposed to "is" and make the same mistake?!

I do not believe that there are "e3 material" characters to be honest. I mean; you have the characters that incite hype, but if Villager and Wii Fit Trainer could manage; Chrom (or Robin) will be just fine.

Last edited:

Reila

I think whoever is the new FE rep, he or she will be revealed at E3. That trophy quiz shenanigan must mean something, after all.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think whoever is the new FE rep, he or she will be revealed at E3. That trophy quiz shenanigan must mean something, after all.
I agree with this sentiment; however, someone mentioned that the trophy quiz could have applied to Ike's "premature" reveal. I do not necessarily believe that to be the case, but it is a possibility.

Reila

So you criticize me for typing "if" as opposed to "is" and make the same mistake?!

I do not believe that there are "e3 material" characters to be honest. I mean; you have the characters that incite hype, but if Villager and Wii Fit Trainer could manage; Chrom will be just fine.
But they couldn't. The hype in the last E3 was generated by 1. It was the announcement of the game 2. Mega Man.

By the way, if the trophy quiz has importance, I think they will announce any veteran left of the series that appeared in the quiz.

In other words, Ganondorf should be announced before the E3. Maybe Friday?

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
This may be my over-thinking things, but I believe Ike was revealed just before E3 for the very purpose of appearing in the trailer for an Awakening character's reveal.
Not over-thinking things one bit. Ike could have very well had thirty seconds of fame like returning veterans who had not even received such a magnificent visible makeover. Ike would have certainly been e3 material on his own.

Morbi

Scavenger
But they couldn't. The hype in the last E3 was generated by 1. It was the announcement of the game 2. Mega Man.

By the way, if the trophy quiz has importance, I think they will announce any veteran left of the series that appeared in the quiz.

In other words, Ganondorf should be announced before the E3. Maybe Friday?
Are you purposely trying to get my hopes up?

I suppose you are correct; Mega Man certainly mitigated some of the possible disappointment. I expect greater things out of this e3 as it is more important, it will serve as more than a mere announcement for Smash. I still believe that Chrom or Robin can manage being e3 material though.

Reila

Are you purposely trying to get my hopes up?

I suppose you are correct; Mega Man certainly mitigated some of the possible disappointment. I expect greater things out of this e3 as it is more important, it will serve as more than a mere announcement for Smash. I still believe that Chrom or Robin can manage being e3 material though.
Just speculating. If the trophy quiz is hinting newcomers, then it is only natural to reveal all veterans of a series, right?

But yeah, without Mega Man, the Smash Bros announcement would have been a bit underwhelming.
I agree with this sentiment; however, someone mentioned that the trophy quiz could have applied to Ike's "premature" reveal. I do not necessarily believe that to be the case, but it is a possibility.
Okay, so Tiki being in the Trophy Quiz would be related to Ike? What about the other three trophies, then?

Hong

The Strongest
Kind of off-topic, but I would hope that because that I hope Ganondorf will see revision for this entry, he will be shown at e3 with cool new moves... :(

Reila

Kind of off-topic, but I would hope that because that I hope Ganondorf will see revision for this entry, he will be shown at e3 with cool new moves... :(
Well, Ganondorf could be present in the Zelda newcomer trailer. Like Charizard was in Greninja's. :)

Although I have a feeling all newcomers to be announced at E3 will share the same trailer (a damn shame that would be).

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I'm personally a very strong supporter of the trophy quiz theory. It's just too random otherwise. Associated with those trophies we can hope to see:

A Fire Emblem character (the fact that "Id - Purpose" plays during the trophy's appearance adds to my hope for Robin.)

A Zelda character (possibly a Ganondorf complete makeover may be "close enough" but some speculate that between Fi and the Ghirahim theme playing during the Nintendo E3 trailer that he may still have a chance.)

A Kid Icarus character (that damn trolling... Sakurai you troll! But I'm almost 100% sure we're seeing playable Palutena)

A Metroid character. (Part of Ridley's wing actually CAN be seen during that "boss" footage, but what does this mean? I really have no clue.)

I believe waiting for both Ganondorf and Captain Falcon this long is similar to why he said he waited on Yoshi. We may see him show off Ganondorf and Captain Falcon together, showcasing Ganondorf's new moveset, and how Captain Falcon may have obtained a few of Ganondorf's abilities, possibly even as custom move changes for specials.

We may also just have to wait to play the game to see it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom