• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Actually, that basically happened about seven years ago.
Especially since Eirika and even more so Ephraim were prime candidates for inclusion. Who didn't like the idea of a lance-wielder back then? Even Micaiah could have pulled a Roy, since we had not established if this would be a regular thing for Fire Emblem characters or not.

We may have never have had the Ike we have today, before Ike was a proven character. Ike's popularity wasn't even a thing back then. Sakurai didn't even know who he was. What differs now is that at least Ike is taking up what was a very obvious and lacking character archetype, so you could say there were a wider range of good options back then. In some ways, lack of series knowledge could benefit Robin. That same lack of thought and character insight could benefit her, since I would say Robin is equally as simple to devise a moveset as you would Ike. Robin has possibly seen more fan movesets on the character boards than any other character, with quite a variety of styles at that.

Of course, I'll always have to be the one to bring up the worst case scenario in this thread. It's because I like Robin so much that I don't want to let myself or anyone get too far ahead of themselves and find themselves disappointment. If Robin doesn't show up as a playable character, I hope we can all pick up our tomes, tip our hoods and be on our way.

If Robin DOES show up, I think the fact I have been such a Negative Nancy will make the reveal all the more rewarding. Everyone is welcome to rub it in my face. :)
Generally, I'm not getting my hopes up. But something is telling me that won't happen this time.
...What could that be, you ask?
...Well, Sakurai listened to the Vocal Minority that actually wanted a Fire Emblem stage instead of a random place, and introduced Arena Ferox. That generally seems like a far-out there choice, something that would require a lot of thought. So, in a way, it seems like he did speak with IS about this for more then a second. That might imply that they spoke a little about what Fire Emblem characters would make the cut, especially considering the increase in sales with Awakening, which means that in a way it deserves more thought to be put into it's roster. In other words, Robin is a little more likely then he would have been. (That also means that there may be other characters, but... Yeah. I'm not getting my hopes up TOO high for Anna.)

Hong

The Strongest
Generally, I'm not getting my hopes up. But something is telling me that won't happen this time.
...What could that be, you ask?
...Well, Sakurai listened to the Vocal Minority that actually wanted a Fire Emblem stage instead of a random place, and introduced Arena Ferox. That generally seems like a far-out there choice, something that would require a lot of thought. So, in a way, it seems like he did speak with IS about this for more then a second.
What? They would pick the only fighting arena, found in chapter four, to be used as a fighting arena in a fighting game?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
What? They would pick the only fighting arena, found in chapter four, to be used as a fighting arena in a fighting game?

Hong, let us remember that before Arena Ferox was announced, NONE OF US COULD THINK OF A FIRE EMBLEM STAGE!
That was why Sakurai choice to neglect us. The "obvious choice" would still require more thought then what Sakurai was putting in previously.

Hong

The Strongest
Hong, let us remember that before Arena Ferox was announced, NONE OF US COULD THINK OF A FIRE EMBLEM STAGE!
That was why Sakurai choice to neglect us. The "obvious choice" would still require more thought then what Sakurai was putting in previously.
Ha ha, rest easy, friend. I never pass up an opportunity to be silly.

I agree that is proof that more love has been given to Fire Emblem this time. You know, getting Chrom over Robin would really suck, but I would be almost as happy if Lucina could be swapped with Chrom. Pretty sure she is unanimously liked by anyone who wants an Awakening character, though she undoubtedly can't offer as much as Robin.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ha ha, rest easy, friend. I never pass up an opportunity to be silly.

I agree that is proof that more love has been given to Fire Emblem this time. You know, getting Chrom over Robin would really suck, but I would be almost as happy if Lucina could be swapped with Chrom. Pretty sure she is unanimously liked by anyone who wants an Awakening character, though she undoubtedly can't offer as much as Robin.
I do like Lucina as a character, and I think she'd be more interesting than Chrom. But she still has some of Chrom's issues when it comes to being an entirely unique character. Robin, I think, offers much more potential as a unique character and better represents Fire Emblem as a whole, so I would prefer him/her to Lucina.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Meh. Lucina would be OK, but I really don't like her enough to care weither she or Chrom would make it. Probably because she tends to whine about how she isn't supposed to be in that time and has to go after Grima is defeated and how would it look if a woman that isn't his wife hang out with him... Girl, half of Chrom's elite force consisted out of time travelers, I think people would believe you. And even if not just go under your "Marth" persona. This isn't a hard riddle to solve.

Yes, she does kick ass otherwise, but after all is said and done, she'd still be a blue haired swordsman in Smash 4. Well, Swordswoman, but y'know... That's still like 3 out of 4 criteria current FE representatives in Smash have.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Meh. Lucina would be OK, but I really don't like her enough to care weither she or Chrom would make it. Probably because she tends to whine about how she isn't supposed to be in that time and has to go after Grima is defeated and how would it look if a woman that isn't his wife hang out with him... Girl, half of Chrom's elite force consisted out of time travelers, I think people would believe you. And even if not just go under your "Marth" persona. This isn't a hard riddle to solve.

Yes, she does kick *** otherwise, but after all is said and done, she'd still be a blue haired swordsman in Smash 4. Well, Swordswoman, but y'know... That's still like 3 out of 4 criteria current FE representatives in Smash have.
Uh...
There are 4 things wrong with that. She very clearly changed her mind about going back midway through the game, realizing there was nothing to go back to. And I can understand angsting about how you're not supposed to be there 15 years in the past: You have no idea how time travel works. Your spot in the timespan could very well change everything. Her sibling, if she even has one, might not even be born. There's also the fact that she mainly discusses how weird it is to be with her father in public when, you know, they're in public. Among strangers, who have no idea who she is, or that time travel is even a thing. And, last time I checked, the mask was broken.
That said, I agree with you on the second part.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Actually, that basically happened about seven years ago.
Especially since Eirika and even more so Ephraim were prime candidates for inclusion. Who didn't like the idea of a lance-wielder back then? Even Micaiah could have pulled a Roy, since we had not established if this would be a regular thing for Fire Emblem characters or not.

We may have never have had the Ike we have today, before Ike was a proven character. Ike's popularity wasn't even a thing back then. Sakurai didn't even know who he was. What differs now is that at least Ike is taking up what was a very obvious and lacking character archetype, so you could say there were a wider range of good options back then. In some ways, lack of series knowledge could benefit Robin. That same lack of thought and character insight could benefit her, since I would say Robin is equally as simple to devise a moveset as you would Ike. Robin has possibly seen more fan movesets on the character boards than any other character, with quite a variety of styles at that.

Of course, I'll always have to be the one to bring up the worst case scenario in this thread. It's because I like Robin so much that I don't want to let myself or anyone get too far ahead of themselves and find themselves disappointment. If Robin doesn't show up as a playable character, I hope we can all pick up our tomes, tip our hoods and be on our way.

If Robin DOES show up, I think the fact I have been such a Negative Nancy will make the reveal all the more rewarding. Everyone is welcome to rub it in my face. :)
Eirika and Ephraim would have been really cool too... That's partial bias though as Sacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem game...

Technically, Robin could fill up almost any missing archetype due to her ability to become all classes, save for Lord and other gender-specific classes. If she does show up, I will not miss the opportunity to rub your face in it!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Um... Should I get Robin shoved in my face for thinking he/she is unlikely? I mean, I'm all for him/her, but I definitely think Chrom is the more likely choice (although lately his chances seem to be dropping). So does that make me a target for that sort of thing?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Um... Should I get Robin shoved in my face for thinking he/she is unlikely? I mean, I'm all for him/her, but I definitely think Chrom is the more likely choice (although lately his chances seem to be dropping). So does that make me a target for that sort of thing?
I hope not...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't think so, seeing as how you want Robin. Or, rather, it doesn't matter if it gets rubbed in your face because you'll be happy. Same for me, I don't find Robin the likely choice, but Robin is my top most wanted newcomer at this point. I'll be happy to take the face rubbing.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Uh...
There are 4 things wrong with that. She very clearly changed her mind about going back midway through the game, realizing there was nothing to go back to. And I can understand angsting about how you're not supposed to be there 15 years in the past: You have no idea how time travel works. Your spot in the timespan could very well change everything. Her sibling, if she even has one, might not even be born. There's also the fact that she mainly discusses how weird it is to be with her father in public when, you know, they're in public. Among strangers, who have no idea who she is, or that time travel is even a thing. And, last time I checked, the mask was broken.
That said, I agree with you on the second part.
Correct me if I'm wrong,
but doesn't she still leave in her credits/outro page? This might change when Robin marries her.
And don't get me wrong, she doesn't angst around all the time (usually she's quite proactive about warning people etc.), but that was just a big thing about her that kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Though that's probably a good sign, since I wanted to see her have an end worthy of all the crap she had to went through in the future.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think Robin might benefit greatly given Sakurai's pension this time around for more unique characters and females, both qualities that Robin could easily fulfill.

But overall I will admit that I think Chrom is more likely. Don't get me wrong though, Robin is my preferred choice.

Hong

The Strongest
You could say that Robin's future is looking a little chrominous.

Can anything change? Only time will tell.

IronFish

Smash Ace
You could say that Robin's future is looking a little chrominous.

Can anything change? Only time will tell.
I thought Ike's confirmation would significantly impact Chrom's chances... I meant Sakurai preaching uniqueness, then adding 3 similar character for one franchise is just... hard to imagine.

Hong

The Strongest
I thought Ike's confirmation would significantly impact Chrom's chances... I meant Sakurai preaching uniqueness, then adding 3 similar character for one franchise is just... hard to imagine.
I am sure he chose Robin from the moment they found out he could be a guy, have blue hair. and a sword. :troll:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I think Robin might benefit greatly given Sakurai's pension this time around for more unique characters and females, both qualities that Robin could easily fulfill.

But overall I will admit that I think Chrom is more likely. Don't get me wrong though, Robin is my preferred choice.
Yes, even with Ike's return Chrom is still more likely, but one other thing I'd like to mention (which has probably already been brought up) is that the director for Awakening did say that Robin was his favorite character in the story during an interview.

http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/developer-interview/

Anyway I think bit by bit the chances are at least leaning--maybe tilting--in Robin's favor.

I am sure he chose Robin from the moment they found out he could be a guy, have blue hair. and a sword. :troll:
Now that would be almost as funny as it would be disappointing. Robin: Sword only, male only, and blue hair with the VERY Chrom-like hairstyle.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Whoops double post

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Yes, even with Ike's return Chrom is still more likely, but one other thing I'd like to mention (which has probably already been brought up) is that the director for Awakening did say that Robin was his favorite character in the story during an interview.

http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/developer-interview/

Anyway I think bit by bit the chances are at least leaning--maybe tilting--in Robin's favor.
Chrom was the creation of Marth, Ike, and many nights of hot sake I'd say. :b Hopefully they feel just as bad about the character as the other Fire Emblem die-hards do and want to push him under a rug.
Now that would be almost as funny as it would be disappointing. Robin: Sword only, male only, and blue hair with the VERY Chrom-like hairstyle.
Even if it was a possible alt hair style, I rather not make a Robin-styled Chrom even if they could. That would be just as bad if Robin had the Sword of Seals.

For all the jokes I make, I could never wish any anguish or broken hearts on fans of any character, Chrom included. I actually like Chrom over half of the lords we have seen previously. But for much of the same reason why I don't like the addition of Lucas, I hate redundant representation of a single franchise that has SO much to offer.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
can't... control... you mean... that...

IT'S TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I'm wrong,
but doesn't she still leave in her credits/outro page? This might change when Robin marries her.
And don't get me wrong, she doesn't angst around all the time (usually she's quite proactive about warning people etc.), but that was just a big thing about her that kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Though that's probably a good sign, since I wanted to see her have an end worthy of all the crap she had to went through in the future.
I think the implication is that she left somewhere during her OWN TIME. Plus, there are a lot of characters she marries that change that. Look at Lucina/Gerome.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone here like Robin or am I alone on this?
I like both Robins. Sure, Male Robin is a little bland, but he has his quirks that make him unique. Female Robin, however, is much more interesting.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I would think that a support thread dedicated to Robin would only consist of people who liked Robin.

I like Robin.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Ugh!? Why do any of you guys even want Robin!? She's an avatar character and it's not like we had those before! YOU PEOPLE MAKE NO SENSE! /sarcasm

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
*Shrugs* I like Robin. Won't go as far as to say s/he's my favorite Awakening character, but I like them.

Hong

The Strongest
Ugh!? Why do any of you guys even want Robin!? She's an avatar character and it's not like we had those before! YOU PEOPLE MAKE NO SENSE! /sarcasm
Boring, faceless character. No potential for a fighter at all, and if she doesn't look like my custom toon from Awakening I will be PISSED. Just add Chrom.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Boring, faceless character. No potential for a fighter at all, and if she doesn't look like my custom toon from Awakening I will be PISSED. Just add Chrom.
Robin isn't polular or on the cover of Awakening therefore disqualified, and he/she isn't unique at all, Chrom better represenrs Fire Emblem than Ike any way.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I didn't even know about Robin until I came here, can't be any good of a character. Also Fire Emblen suxx.

EDIT: Boy, newcomers that only read the last few posts must be confused :D

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
We love Robin. Don't go.
God, we should really have an "Irony" emoticon.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Robin is obviously in! You are crazy if you think we will be getting two blue haired swordsmen with shoulder armor. lol

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Robin is obviously in! You are crazy if you think we will be getting two blue haired swordsmen with shoulder armor. lol
Actually that would be three. Marth DOES have quite obvious shoulder armor.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh, that did happen. Sonic with swords needs to be in Smash.
As much as I want to mock the Sonic the Hedgehog series for how far it has fallen, at least it would have made him a more interesting character in Smash.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
As much as I want to mock the Sonic the Hedgehog series for how far it has fallen, at least it would have made him a more interesting character in Smash.
I think Sonic was done right in Smash. Sonic's moveset should based on the older games, not his modern atrocities.
It would be more interesting, though.

Top Bottom