• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It does seem like Robin is getting more attention as of late. Probably due to fact that Chrom will NOT be replacing Ike, and Robin offers much more potential as a third Fire Emblem character. Not to mention that there seems to be more evidence in game that favors Robin over Chrom.
I always saw Robin as the main character of Awakening anyway.

Hong

The Strongest
I said it before, and I'll say it again: Robin has three camps of supporters.

1) People who like Robin because she is Robin. They like her story, personality, design, etc. I fall under this umbrella, myself.
2) Fire Emblem fans who want more Fire Emblem in Smash bros, but want something more interesting and meaningful.
3) People who are more or less uninterested in Fire Emblem, but just Smash Bros itself. A lot of these folks observe the most immediate details of what Fire Emblem has to offer, and they want something different if at all.

The amount of folks we get in the second and third camp have ramped up disproportionately to other candidates, who generally have a stable amount of followers. Granted, we actually had more traffic previously and quite a few new users who joined and mostly lived in this topic, but that aside.
I always saw Robin as the main character of Awakening anyway.
Probably.

The first character you see is the one you yourself customize, and that is the perspective you follow through near the entirety of the journey. Even literally a PoV. Some scenes where Robin arrives after a bit of dialogue as well as the supports, but that's it.

Certainly nothing less than Chrom.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

1) People who like Robin because she is Robin. They like her story, personality, design, etc. I fall under this umbrella, myself.
2) Fire Emblem fans who want more Fire Emblem in Smash bros, but want something more interesting and meaningful.
3) People who are more or less uninterested in Fire Emblem, but just Smash Bros itself. A lot of these folks observe the most immediate details of what Fire Emblem has to offer, and they want something different if at all.

The amount of folks we get in the second and third camp have ramped up disproportionately to other candidates, who generally have a stable amount of followers. Granted, we actually had more traffic previously and quite a few new users who joined and mostly lived in this topic, but that aside.Probably.

The first character you see is the one you yourself customize, and that is the perspective you follow through near the entirety of the journey. Even literally a PoV. Some scenes where Robin arrives after a bit of dialogue as well as the supports, but that's it.

Certainly nothing less than Chrom.
I'd say I'm in the first and second camp..

Also: I'm hoping for Robin or at least another tactician in future FE games.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

The amount of folks we get in the second and third camp have ramped up disproportionately to other candidates, who generally have a stable amount of followers. Granted, we actually had more traffic previously and quite a few new users who joined and mostly lived in this topic, but that aside.Probably.
I suppose I fall under both the first and second categories.

I rather enjoyed Robin as a character in Awakening. I liked the backstory s/he had, I liked his/her personality (maybe a bit bland, but I found it enjoyable), and I really liked everything s/he was capable of in the game. To me, with all the effort put into his/her character, and how he/she epitomized many features of the games like the supports and re-classing, I've always thought of Robin as being the heart of Awakening.

And as someone who really enjoyed Awakening and other Fire Emblem games, I found the idea of adding Chrom to the roster to be rather bland, and a poor representation of the series as a whole. Robin not only offers unique potential as a Smash character, but represents key elements of the Fire Emblem series that are pretty much ignored by Smash, such as the use of magic, tactics, avatars, and the fact that the series doesn't consist entirely of blue haired swordsmen. I know that last point is a bit of a joke, but at the same time, for someone who knows nothing about Fire Emblem but plays a lot of Smash, Fire Emblem wouldn't stick out as an interesting series to look into.

So yeah, I guess that's why I support Robin.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I suppose I fall under both the first and second categories.

I rather enjoyed Robin as a character in Awakening. I liked the backstory s/he had, I liked his/her personality (maybe a bit bland, but I found it enjoyable), and I really liked everything s/he was capable of in the game. To me, with all the effort put into his/her character, and how he/she epitomized many features of the games like the supports and re-classing, I've always thought of Robin as being the heart of Awakening.

And as someone who really enjoyed Awakening and other Fire Emblem games, I found the idea of adding Chrom to the roster to be rather bland, and a poor representation of the series as a whole. Robin not only offers unique potential as a Smash character, but represents key elements of the Fire Emblem series that are pretty much ignored by Smash, such as the use of magic, tactics, avatars, and the fact that the series doesn't consist entirely of blue haired swordsmen. I know that last point is a bit of a joke, but at the same time, for someone who knows nothing about Fire Emblem but plays a lot of Smash, Fire Emblem wouldn't stick out as an interesting series to look into.

So yeah, I guess that's why I support Robin.
Those are some good reasons. I also think his/her bland personality was an attempt at letting the player fill in details. For instance, my tactician in my mind always took losses way too hard on himself, and was well-liked by the rest of the Shepherds, but some found him a bit quirky.

At least, that's how I read his personality... It'll be different for other people.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
imo, New Mystery of the Emblem actually helps Robin's chances, in a way.

FE12 was the first game to give you a Tactician as a playable unit. Mark did have some role in the plot, but not much, but he/she was a unit you could style after yourself, and give you some control on how you wanted this unit to function.

FE13 took that concept and amplified it off the charts. Robin is given Deuteragonist status in the story with Chrom, Robin can be reclassed into everything but a Lord, Robin has 20 hair samples, 6 size samples, and 10 face samples to choose from, can marry any unit, and the story falls apart without Robin in the game. Robin is, by all accounts, the player, styled to blend in with the world of Awakening.

And I don't think it'll stop with Robin. FE14 and the rest, whenever they come out, will almost certainly have a customizable Avatar for the player to create and put into that game's world, especially since Awakening was so popular with newcomers, and they'll all be styled off of Robin's template in a way.

Robin is a viable candidate not just because of the moveset opportunities, the chance to change up typical FE Smash Bros. archetypes, and Robin's own purpose in Awakening. Robin represents a newly-introduced facet of gameplay for Fire Emblem, and one that was well-received to boot, and one that will almost certainly be in future FE games, should Smash Bros. players formally introduced to Fire Emblem through it decide they want to play some FE games.

Marth, Ike, and possibly Chrom are main characters. Robin is a legacy.

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
imo, New Mystery of the Emblem actually helps Robin's chances, in a way.

FE12 was the first game to give you a Tactician as a playable unit. Mark did have some role in the plot, but not much, but he/she was a unit you could style after yourself, and give you some control on how you wanted this unit to function.

FE13 took that concept and amplified it off the charts. Robin is given Deuteragonist status in the story with Chrom, Robin can be reclassed into everything but a Lord, Robin has 20 hair samples, 6 size samples, and 10 face samples to choose from, can marry any unit, and the story falls apart without Robin in the game. Robin is, by all accounts, the player, styled to blend in with the world of Awakening.

And I don't think it'll stop with Robin. FE14 and the rest, whenever they come out, will almost certainly have a customizable Avatar for the player to create and put into that game's world, especially since Awakening was so popular with newcomers, and they'll all be styled off of Robin's template in a way.

Robin is a viable candidate not just because of the moveset opportunities, the chance to change up typical FE Smash Bros. archetypes, and Robin's own purpose in Awakening. Robin represents a newly-introduced facet of gameplay for Fire Emblem, and one that was well-received to boot, and one that will almost certainly be in future FE games, should Smash Bros. players formally introduced to Fire Emblem through it decide they want to play some FE games.

Marth, Ike, and possibly Chrom are main characters. Robin is a legacy.
That last line...it was beautiful.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
That's actually part of the reason I support Robin, and the main reason I support Anna.
So, yeah. Robin should be added, preferably with his name as the Avatar (MU in Japan) or Tactician.
((Also, Mark was the FE8 tactician. Just throwing that out there.))

Hong

The Strongest
That's actually part of the reason I support Robin, and the main reason I support Anna.
So, yeah. Robin should be added, preferably with his name as the Avatar (MU in Japan) or Tactician.
((Also, Mark was the FE8 tactician. Just throwing that out there.))
I wouldn't do that.

Robin is Robin to me much like Link is Link. Robin can be customized, much in the way you would customize a character in an MMO. But a lot of players don't try to create themselves, the four people that headed the development included.

I personally try to make someone interesting out of Robin.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Anyway, to get this back on track, how glorious do y'all think Robin would look in HD? (Both sexes.)

I for one, think Robin would look great especially with all that detail on Robin's robes.
Edit: Someone beat me to it. But seriously, THE FEET

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't do that.

Robin is Robin to me much like Link is Link. Robin can be customized, much in the way you would customize a character in an MMO. But a lot of players don't try to create themselves, the four people that headed the development included.

I personally try to make someone interesting out of Robin.
Generally, you could say the same about the Pokemon Trainer. A lot of people name him Red or Ash, because he's supposed to be someone you're supposed to build from the ground-up. However, in order to possibly include other Pokemon Trainers in the next few games (Which is very clearly not happening any time soon), they probably chose to call him that. The Avatar would be similar.
Plus, if this helps: The name Avatar DOES have something to do with the story.
He's an Avatar of Grima.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Avatar is way to broad for a name to be picked as a character name in a game with a large roster like this. If he/she's going to be in the game and they aren't going with Robin, I highly suspect that he/she'll be called Tactician.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Really, though. we actually never got to appreciate the intricacies of Robin's attire in Awakening. The in-game model does not do the concept art of the character justice. More than that, I am eager to see what hair style(s) are chosen.

Also voices. Interesting to see which they choose for that... Probably the one associated with the default.
Yeah, I hope Robin at least becomes an Assist Trophy so we can see a new model.

Hong

The Strongest
"Fire Emblem: Awakening" could be an Assist Trophy. Nothing comes out, but the Fire Emblem fanfare can briefly be heard. It has one of three effects, all true to the source material.

1) All fighters lose their feet and trip uncontrollably.
2) The person closest to the player who summoned the trophy confesses their undying love.
3) Resets the game. !@#$ing RNG bull****.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
"Fire Emblem: Awakening" could be an Assist Trophy. Nothing comes out, but the Fire Emblem fanfare can briefly be heard. It has one of three effects, all true to the source material.

1) All fighters lose their feet and trip uncontrollably.
2) The person closest to the player who summoned the trophy confesses their undying love.
3) Resets the game. !@#$ing RNG bull****.
4) It seems like nothing happens, but after a random amount of time, an enemy unit appears right behind one of players out of nowhere and OHKO's them.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Old Hubba for AT. He just shows up and starts shipping characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Robin's final smash: S/He pairs two opponents together
You know, for whatever reason, that's something that more people envision for Chrom. There's even some fanart just for that concept of a Final Smash.

IronFish

Smash Ace
You know, for whatever reason, that's something that more people envision for Chrom. There's even some fanart just for that concept of a Final Smash.
Chrom would hop on Sumia's Pegasus (with Sumia), and they would fly around and throw pies, then the stage would flood with Chrom fan-girl tears.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
That poor fella in those rare free for alls with 3 players. Forever alone.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am still hoping Robin gets in Smash over boring Chrom. I don't think Ike being back affects Chrom's chances that much, though :(

Shadow Ganon

Smash Cadet
They can put in Chrom and still find a way to make him play differently than Marth and Ike but Robin makes for a much more unique character and also represents Awakening just as well as Chrom in my opinion. The fact that Robin can be customized and can take from the best skills and weapons in Awakening is just too good to pass up!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Going of the Villager's costumes, what two male and female Robin designs would you like to see?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Going of the Villager's costumes, what two male and female Robin designs would you like to see?
Well, I personally rather like the default look for both male and female Robin, so I'd be pretty happy with that. Aside from that, I think I'd like to see a male Robin with straight brown hair, like how it looks in some of the concept art. I'm not sure about female Robin, though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, I personally rather like the default look for both male and female Robin, so I'd be pretty happy with that. Aside from that, I think I'd like to see a male Robin with straight brown hair, like how it looks in some of the concept art. I'm not sure about female Robin, though.

Maybe?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What would Robin's alternate costume be for this game? If this has already been answered, then I am sorry.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I love Fire Emblem Awakening. I want the game to get a playable rep, and I do find Chrom to be a very boring choice considering the other Fire Emblem reps that are already in the game. I also think Robin has wonderful move set potential (mostly due to tomes.)

But....I just can't get behind it. Something about having a heavily modifiable player avatar being playable in an all star game really bothers me. It's not just "Robin" either. If Xbox was doing an all star game and had Commander Sheperd in it, it would also bother me. Funnily enough, Villager doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because they are SUCH blank slates, while Robin is an important character in a story driven game. It's like the Villager represents the concept of Animal Crossing I suppose. Or maybe I would just be upset that I wouldn't be playing as my Avatar. I'm not really sure.

That being said, if the Tactician Unit DID make it into Smash I wouldn't be upset. I'm sure he/she would turn out to be a fun character, and would be a great deal more unique then Chrom..... but there's just something about it.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Hi! im going to start a new argument against Chrom, Lucina and Robin. I dont have anything against those characters, im just inspirated.
My original prediction about Fire Emblem was Ike return + Chrom, but now i can see something different that may happens...

No Awakening characters.

"How in the world is the most successful Fire Emblem games not going to be represented in SSB?!"

Awakening is going to be represented in SSB, but perhaps not with a playable character. A little correction Awakening is in a way, already represented in SSB. Not to mention that Ike was confirmed recently, in adition to Marth.

"So you are saying that Ike is an obstacle for Awakening characters?! That makes no sense!"

In fact the biggest obstacle against Awakening characters is Marth.

"Wait, what?"

Fire Emblem is divided in 5 subseries, with Marth being the main and most important character of one of those subseries, would really make sense to add another character from the same subseries when we already have the supreme character already?

All this leads in to something completely unexpected...

Roy returns!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hi! im going to start a new argument against Chrom, Lucina and Robin. I dont have anything against those characters, im just inspirated.
My original prediction about Fire Emblem was Ike return + Chrom, but now i can see something different that may happens...

No Awakening characters.

"How in the world is the most successful Fire Emblem games not going to be represented in SSB?!"

Awakening is going to be represented in SSB, but perhaps not with a playable character. A little correction Awakening is in a way, already represented in SSB. Not to mention that Ike was confirmed recently, in adition to Marth.

"So you are saying that Ike is an obstacle for Awakening characters?! That makes no sense!"

In fact the biggest obstacle against Awakening characters is Marth.

"Wait, what?"

Fire Emblem is divided in 5 subseries, with Marth being the main and most important character of one of those subseries, would really make sense to add another character from the same subseries when we already have the supreme character already?

All this leads in to something completely unexpected...

Roy returns!
That's technically a possibility.

However, I find that to be rather unlikely.

Hong

The Strongest
Judging from what I have seen from StreetPass players as well as fan art, two hair styles for female Robin are popular: Body type 3 long hair (of course), and body 2 with twin-tails (especially in Japan). Would not be surprised to get these two along with the default.

Last edited:

Graydient

Smash Cadet
It does seem like Robin is getting more attention as of late. Probably due to fact that Chrom will NOT be replacing Ike, and Robin offers much more potential as a third Fire Emblem character. Not to mention that there seems to be more evidence in game that favors Robin over Chrom.
Anyone who doesn't think Ike reduces Chrom's chance is in denial. Chrom's main chance of getting in pretty much hinged on Ike's return, since as far as characteristics go (aesthetically AND mechanically), he doesn't distinguished himself much from Marth (evident by the bajillion posters who've reiterated that point).

As much as everyone wants to pretend how unpredictable Sakurai is, I think there is one thing that's obviously clear: Sakurai is aiming for a diverse roster, not SSB Budokai Tenkaichi 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom