• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Does anyone think we'll only get a certain type of magic with Robin? I think chances are high that with a Silver Sword and Thoron being our default loadout in the prologue of Awakening, we'll get a sword-wielding Robin with Thunder magic. Which is a shame, since I was hoping for Wind.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Just to reiterate what pretty much everybody already said in this thread: If we get Robin, it's probably with male/female skins and with different version for hood down and one each for hood up.
The bulky male version and chibis are highly unlikely due to hitbox differences, but I feel it would still be a good representation, even if there's some options missing.

And with the success of Awakening, there's nothing speaking against 2 or even 3 FE character announcements as long as they play clearly differently from each other, which makes Robin quite likely in my eyes.

Robin disappointed me in Awakening but I think she can do better in Smash.
How could he/she disappoint you? He/she can be everything you want AND has a special class!
There could be Robin as a character, though most people here actually seem to appreciate the fact that Robin has their own odds and quirks.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
How could he/she disappoint you? He/she can be everything you want AND has a special class!
There could be Robin as a character, though most people here actually seem to appreciate the fact that Robin has their own odds and quirks.
I've been rather critical of Awakening in various threads around here. In short, Robin displays an astounding blandness in her various supports and was written very much as a blank slate that the player could identify with as much as possible which held back her character development. Awakening made a lot of mis-steps when it came to story and characters in general. And frankly my favorite class that Robin could be was Tactician/Grandmaster. Swordmages/Mage Knights are incredibly rare in FE.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
You know... I don't know if I could hold in my inner fangirl if I could play as my Robin...

Hong

The Strongest
Robin does have the niche everyone wanted, in that he/she can wield both magic and swords, but Robin also takes it a step further and is capable of learning to use every weapon, thanks to Robin's access to nearly every class. A reason for why Robin can do this is even implied in the canon. So giving Robin hammerspace-access properties and having Robin use all the various weapons that Fire Emblem is known for was an idea I always liked, and could set Robin apart from the rest, and is a reason I would prefer Robin over any other newcomer.

Stick out a Short Spear for Fair. Use a quick Elwind for Bair. Swipe with an Imposing Axe for the Dtilt. Ignis-boosted Levin Sword strike for Side Special. The sheer amount of possibilities with the Fire Emblem weapons makes Robin so captivating to think of a moveset for, and for me it'd be saddening if Robin was in, but with only a sword and tome in hand.
Yeah! I agree. In that sense, Robin could do everything we value about Anna. Well, except she is not as cute, but that aside.

I was actually thinking about retooling everything I have conceived for Anna and just making another Robin moveset that emphasizes her flexibility, in addition to the one I already have now. It is a 100% totally legit way to portray the character and her game mechanics, and does the series a great service.
You know... I don't know if I could hold in my inner fangirl if I could play as my Robin...

Hong

The Strongest
And then I remembered it is a little more than couple of weeks until e3. Suppose I'll hold off on any movesets and await the moment of truth.

I don't think we'll know everything about the game after e3, but I'm banking on some kind of conclusive evidence or even a reveal in regards to a third Fire Emblem addition.

If we see the "Second Meeting" cutscene from Awakening, only with Robin opening her eyes to Ike and Marth, I... I'll... I'll just

IronFish

Smash Ace
And then I remembered it is a little more than couple of weeks until e3. Suppose I'll hold off on any movesets and await the moment of truth.

I don't think we'll know everything about the game after e3, but I'm banking on some kind of conclusive evidence or even a reveal in regards to a third Fire Emblem addition.

If we see the "Second Meeting" cutscene from Awakening, only with Robin opening her eyes to Ike and Marth, I... I'll... I'll just
Or his eyes:troll:

Hong

The Strongest
MALE SUPREMACIST PIG DOG AMERICAN D:<

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

That does raise an interesting question; could Robin possibly be revealed at E3? I previously thought not, but considering that Robin would be representing the very popular and successful Awakening, maybe that would be enough for an E3 reveal.

Hong

The Strongest
That does raise an interesting question; could Robin possibly be revealed at E3? I previously thought not, but considering that Robin would be representing the very popular and successful Awakening, maybe that would be enough for an E3 reveal.
If not for the fact we got Ike for free like this, it would have never crossed my mind.

For Brawl, didn't we get like 12 or something characters revealed at the e3 prior? We're already at 30 characters, with probably three or so cuts, and a small handful of sure-fire veterans spilling from the gates. We're sure to see two new faces or three. ^~^

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well we've already seen that popularity isn't a non-passable obstacle in order to arrive during E3, aka WFT. So in reality we can expect just about anyone, including Robin.

Hong

The Strongest
Would you rather fight one Ridley-sized Robin, or one thousand Robin-sized Ridleys?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Would you rather fight one Ridley-sized Robin, or one thousand Robin-sized Ridleys?
One thousand Robin-sized Ridleys. Confident in my ability to take at least one of them down and after that I'd use it's claws as my own to a slay a few more. Then the rest would bow to me. And I would lead an army of small Ridleys to conquer Wyoming. This is the obvious answer.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Okay just thought of this: what's going to be the Wii U version's FE stage? Maybe it gets treated like Pokemon and we get a FE13 stage.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Okay just thought of this: what's going to be the Wii U version's FE stage? Maybe it gets treated like Pokemon and we get a FE13 stage.
I think that's certainly possible. I think a Radiant Dawn stage is possible, but that's a little outdated, and an Awakening stage could be used by all the Fire Emblem characters technically.

My personal choice for such a stage would be the Dragon's Table, where you fight Validar in the Premonition and near the end. That could be a cool stage, I think.

Hong

The Strongest
I think that's certainly possible. I think a Radiant Dawn stage is possible, but that's a little outdated, and an Awakening stage could be used by all the Fire Emblem characters technically.

My personal choice for such a stage would be the Dragon's Table, where you fight Validar in the Premonition and near the end. That could be a cool stage, I think.
It would be lame if we got another Awakening stage. Fire Emblem has a nearly 25 year legacy, hundreds of chapters, 13 (14 depending) games, and seven realms, and then some.

Go with something that represents more of the series. Given we were given a something like the Super Mario World stage in Melee, I don't think anything is outdated. I don't think anything is oudated in Smash Bros, period.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It would be lame if we got another Awakening stage. Fire Emblem has a nearly 25 year legacy, hundreds of chapters, 13 (14 depending) games, and seven realms, and then some.

Go with something that represents more of the series. Given we were given a something like the Super Mario World stage in Melee, I don't think anything is outdated. I don't think anything is oudated in Smash Bros, period.
Oh yeah, were you the one who suggested the Outrealms as a stage? That would be pretty cool to show off Fire Emblem's history, I think.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh yeah, were you the one who suggested the Outrealms as a stage? That would be pretty cool to show off Fire Emblem's history, I think.
Yeah. I thought they could have six different platform layouts, each representing the different continents.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
If Robin gets in, we could take for example the Wii Fit Trainers and Villager, that is gener change and apperance.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

Considering Ike just got his Radiant Dawn outfit, RD is new in terms of Smash representation.

I had a pretty good RD stage idea a while back:

Nox Castle would be good (I think that's what it's called), where you control Daein forces trying to hold the line against the Greil Mercenaries. It was home to a fairly epic battle involving a ton of Laguz and Daein soldiers. It could be a large level where the two sides of the armies come and randomly fight each other, potentially catching smashers in the crossfire. (Edward, Leonardo, Micaiah, Nolan, Sothe and some other members of the Dawn Brigade could make appearances and attack the Greil Mercenaries (Soren, Mia, Shinon, Ranulf, Mist, some Laguz and maybe some others). Then to make it even more epic, the Dragon Laguz can show up and destroy part of the castle like they do at the end of the level.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Outrealms.

The fighters fight on a combination of platforms that moves in and out of the different Outrealm portals, just in time to catch some of the most influential fights in Fire Emblem lore in the background each time.

Merric fighting Gharnef.

Arvis's complete slaughtering of Sigurd's army.

Leif vs. the Deadlords.

Eliwood and Hector against The Black Fang.

Ike vs. the Black Knight in Nados Castle The Greil mercenaries vs. the Dawn Brigade at the Ribahn River.

You can't tell me you wouldn't want this for a stage. All of these fights portrayed in HD gets all of my approval.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Outrealms.

The fighters fight on a combination of platforms that moves in and out of the different Outrealm portals, just in time to catch some of the most influential fights in Fire Emblem lore in the background each time.

Merric fighting Gharnef.

Arvis's complete slaughtering of Sigurd's army.

Leif vs. the Deadlords.

Eliwood and Hector against The Black Fang.

Ike vs. the Black Knight in Nados Castle The Greil mercenaries vs. the Dawn Brigade at the Ribahn River.

You can't tell me you wouldn't want this for a stage. All of these fights portrayed in HD gets all of my approval.
Why not have ones for characters that do make it in? They would be Einherjars, wouldn't they?

Marth vs. Medeus would be amazing in HD.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
If Morgan gets in, it would be better. But Robin has his/her merits. But I just can't get hyped about any character that is so variable. Part of the reason I can't get into WRPGs, I just don't have a level of imagination that can get me hyped about my own nerdy creations.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If Morgan gets in, it would be better. But Robin has his/her merits. But I just can't get hyped about any character that is so variable. Part of the reason I can't get into WRPGs, I just don't have a level of imagination that can get me hyped about my own nerdy creations.
I take it you weren't exactly pleased with the Villager, were you?

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I take it you weren't exactly pleased with the Villager, were you?
Eh, I'm fine with it. The villager is a vehicle that represents a quirky light-hearted game, not his own character. The customization that goes into him or her is answering 4 ambiguous questions to change appearances and a simple boy or girl question. That is interesting though, yes, I would have preferred Tom Nook or KK or whatever, but it's not exactly the same situation.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Eh, I'm fine with it. The villager is a vehicle that represents a quirky light-hearted game, not his own character. The customization that goes into him or her is answering 4 ambiguous questions to change appearances and a simple boy or girl question. That is interesting though, yes, I would have preferred Tom Nook or KK or whatever, but it's not exactly the same situation.
I would argue that the Villager is far more customizable in appearance than Robin is. I mean, with the Villager, a near infinite possible combinations of hats, accessories, shirts, pants, eyes, hair color, and hair styles exist. With Robin, the main thing that can change are facial details; other than that, the rest of him/her is the same throughout.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I would argue that the Villager is far more customizable in appearance than Robin is. I mean, with the Villager, a near infinite possible combinations of hats, accessories, shirts, pants, eyes, hair color, and hair styles exist. With Robin, the main thing that can change are facial details; other than that, the rest of him/her is the same throughout.
Not only her facial details and hair can vary, but their body shape can as well. Villager still beats her in customization though... And it rustles my jimmies when people say Robin cannot be in Smash because she is customizable. It's as if the Villager doesn't exist to them or they're an exception.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Yeah, you have a point about that. Though I only thought of it as "look at my mighty collection". I never actually saw it as upgrading the villager, and I would just switch his gear up regularly and arbitrarily based on my new acquired items. With Robin, there is more of a sense of customization with his or her class selection, skills, support partners and spouse, changes that affected gameplay.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Not only her facial details and hair can vary, but their body shape can as well. Villager still beats her in customization though... And it rustles my jimmies when people say Robin cannot be in Smash because she is customizable. It's as if the Villager doesn't exist to them or they're an exception.
Maybe she won't be in but he will :troll:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, the body shape can be changed to a degree. But with only a couple of variations, I don't think it amounts to too much. As you said, the Villager still is the more customizable of the two, and that's what matters, I think.

Yeah, you have a point about that. Though I only thought of it as "look at my mighty collection". I never actually saw it as upgrading the villager, and I would just switch his gear up regularly and arbitrarily based on my new acquired items. With Robin, there is more of a sense of customization with his or her class selection, skills, support partners and spouse, changes that affected gameplay.
Well, if we're going to take class change into account, then I guess Chrom is too customizable.

But I would think that things like different support options and all that wouldn't affect Robin's chances in Smash. In fact, the fact that Robin had all those supports and had all that effort put into him/her is a plus for him/her, I think. As for the class changes and skills, I think those are all things that could be incorporated into Robin's move set to make him/her a totally unique fighter.

IronFish

Smash Ace
If Robin is going to be in this, it'll be both sexes.... But female Robin should be the default >:3
Maybe its personal bias, but I think male Robin is more "canon" because it better suits the "Red Oni and Blue Oni" and "Bash Brothers" thing he has with Chrom.

Last edited:

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Maybe its personal bias, but I think male Robin is more "canon" because it better suits the "Red Oni and Blue Oni" and "Bash Brothers" thing he has with Chrom.
Since when did "Red Oni, Blue Oni" and/or "Bash Brothers" even affect if something is canon? I don't think any Robin is canon, but I sure as hell prefer female Robin. I also think female Robin would contrast the other Fire Emblem characters even more on the character select screen.

Top Bottom