• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone who doesn't think Ike reduces Chrom's chance is in denial. Chrom's main chance of getting in pretty much hinged on Ike's return, since as far as characteristics go (aesthetically AND mechanically), he doesn't distinguished himself much from Marth (evident by the bajillion posters who've reiterated that point).

As much as everyone wants to pretend how unpredictable Sakurai is, I think there is one thing that's obviously clear: Sakurai is aiming for a diverse roster, not SSB Tenkaichi Budokai 4.

The fact we got Toon Link still says a lot about the developer's direction. I say if Lucas were to show up, Chrom still has a good as chance as showing up as anyone. I don't like it, but despite what he said about valuing uniqueness, he still doesn't seem beyond just shoeing characters willy-nilly.

Especially since he started the selection process so early and Krom was shoved into everyone's face in promotional material for at least a year.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Guys, why are y'all under the impression that they'll be revealing one character at E3? -_-

Seriously, this is one of the most anticipated Nintendo events this year. There will be multiple characters revealed and one of them could easily be Robin. (Or a different FE rep, but you get my point).

Hong

The Strongest
Guys, why are y'all under the impression that they'll be revealing one character at E3? -_-

Seriously, this is one of the most anticipated Nintendo events this year. There will be multiple characters revealed and one of them could easily be Robin. (Or a different FE rep, but you get my point).
o.o I thought it was established we would get multiple characters, much like with Brawl's e3.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I love Fire Emblem Awakening. I want the game to get a playable rep, and I do find Chrom to be a very boring choice considering the other Fire Emblem reps that are already in the game. I also think Robin has wonderful move set potential (mostly due to tomes.)

But....I just can't get behind it. Something about having a heavily modifiable player avatar being playable in an all star game really bothers me. It's not just "Robin" either. If Xbox was doing an all star game and had Commander Sheperd in it, it would also bother me. Funnily enough, Villager doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because they are SUCH blank slates, while Robin is an important character in a story driven game. It's like the Villager represents the concept of Animal Crossing I suppose. Or maybe I would just be upset that I wouldn't be playing as my Avatar. I'm not really sure.

That being said, if the Tactician Unit DID make it into Smash I wouldn't be upset. I'm sure he/she would turn out to be a fun character, and would be a great deal more unique then Chrom..... but there's just something about it.
Robin is supposed to be the player in the game.

I think her/his inclusion in Smash would be the best representation Fire Emblem Awakening could get.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
o.o I thought it was established we would get multiple characters, much like with Brawl's e3.
I skipped a page but two pages ago people were asking things like "Is Robin important enough to be revealed at E3?". Considering the answer with the assumption of multiple character reveals is OF COURSE I immediately thought people were wondering one character will be revealed at E3, will it be Robin.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
@ Hong Hong ,

Very true about Toon Link. However, I do think Sakurai intends to have most of the Brawl characters returning, and Toon Link is definitely a fan favorite from Brawl while also being very aesthetically unique (if not mechanically).

Specifically on newcomers, I think Chrom would just dilute the roster. People often don't consider that introducing a very similar character actually takes away from the character that they are similar with. That is to say that adding Chrom would lessen the appeal of Marth, since Marth as of now is the only character that is disjointed [sword], fast, and graceful.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Going of the Villager's costumes, what two male and female Robin designs would you like to see?
Honestly I wouldn't know what alternate male features Robin would have. The only one I have in mind is the default Robin, and that's only because there's the most promotional material for him. Well, I'm also partial towards the one I always use, but I'm also the only guy I've ever seen who uses the slicked back hair. Streetpasses are usually the normal body type or the muscular one. Otherwise can't say if there was ever a trend...
Though I highly suspect there won't be too terribly many different skins, so I'd assume male/female cloaked, male/female tactician default, male/female grandmaster default

If Xbox was doing an all star game and had Commander Sheperd in it
Well, that's kind of a bad analogy since Mass Effect is a) on all the platforms, making me realize how awesome (and unlikely) it would be to have Shepard in Smash and b) neither Shepard NOR Robin are good examples since they are both characters whose personality you can't really customize.
Yes, in Shepard's case you can influence how radical he/she is and determine how certain things play out, but there'll always be distinct character traits that you can't get rid off: Badass, stern, low on humor, can't dance. There's probably more, but that's the four big ones that immediately come to my mind.
Better examples would be (ironicly enough) pretty much every Bioware hero from every game other than ME. The Bhaalspawn (aka Charname) and Reevan are both way more versatile due to having more dialogue options and of those two the only one I couldn't image in a crossover game would be the Bhaalspawn, simply because he/she really, REALLY has no canon appearance other than the Slayer which would be akin of Robin making it in - as Grima in dragon form.

You are the first one to mention that as far as I see.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
@ Hong Hong ,

Very true about Toon Link. However, I do think Sakurai intends to have most of the Brawl characters returning, and Toon Link is definitely a fan favorite from Brawl while also being very aesthetically unique (if not mechanically).

Specifically on newcomers, I think Chrom would just dilute the roster. People often don't consider that having introducing a very similar character actually takes away from the character that they are similar with. That is to say that adding Chrom would lessen the appeal of Marth, since Marth as of now is the only character that is disjointed [sword], fast, and graceful.
I'll be okay with Toon Link once Sakurai demonstrates the ability to properly balance the one Link he already has -_-

Seriously it's about friggin time.

Hong

The Strongest
@ Hong Hong ,

Specifically on newcomers, I think Chrom would just dilute the roster. People often don't consider that having introducing a very similar character actually takes away from the character that they are similar with. That is to say that adding Chrom would lessen the appeal of Marth, since Marth as of now is the only character that is disjointed [sword], fast, and graceful.
That is the almost unanimous opinion.

I suppose a lot of us are still a little :salt:y after Brawl. I personally still expect bad things to happen with Smash 4, and I don't feel at all bad about it. It will be better than Brawl for sure, but I wouldn't put it past the director to make decisions that are overwhelmingly disagreed with.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

I'm counting on like 3 or 4 honestly. I'll drink a special brew of coffee for each one, and two for Robin.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Nah, player 3 will just marry the child that comes from the future as a result of player 1/2's pairing, species difference and same gender issue not withstanding.
Kirby marrying Ness' and Samus' child...
yep, sounds like Awakening to me. :D

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
I just keep looking at all the evidence, and I thing Robin has crazy good chances after Ike's confirmation, mostly just due to his/her only obstacle being Chrom replacing Ike, and that's not happening, so their really isn't anything stopping Robin from joining.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That is the almost unanimous opinion.

I suppose a lot of us are still a little :salt:y after Brawl. I personally still expect bad things to happen with Smash 4, and I don't feel at all bad about it. It will be better than Brawl for sure, but I wouldn't put it past the director to make decisions that are overwhelmingly disagreed with.
Well, I suppose it's nice to try and be optimistic and think that Sakurai will do something right with Fire Emblem this time around.

And I'm a pessimist.

Hong

The Strongest
The possibility that we will only have just Marth and Ike cannot be underestimated.

The fact Awakening has been heavily acknowledged more than once leaves us to expect we will have an Awakening character, especially with how it has revived the Fire Emblem series. That much is true. The fact Ike was revealed as he were I would say is also indicative that more is to come.

That said, there could be grander designs beyond what we can see, and maybe they already had their hands full with other characters... Palutena being an example of a character who I have the utmost confidence in. If this is all we get for Fire Emblem, I must profess I would neither be surprised, or disappointed. They did a really bang up job with Ike this time.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
@ Hong Hong ,

Specifically on newcomers, I think Chrom would just dilute the roster. People often don't consider that introducing a very similar character actually takes away from the character that they are similar with. That is to say that adding Chrom would lessen the appeal of Marth, since Marth as of now is the only character that is disjointed [sword], fast, and graceful.
Even then, the idea of semi-clone newcomers isn't something to entirely dismiss. Remember that Toon Zelda was planned for Brawl and could (though not likely) make it into Smash 4.

In other words, I don't believe that uniqueness will be the be-all-end-all of roster decisions.

Also, a design that is essentially just Link but in chibi form isn't that aesthetically unique especially compared to pretty much any other character in Brawl, including transformation characters.

As for Chrom...*shrugs* if he makes it in, he makes it in. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
The possibility that we will only have just Marth and Ike cannot be underestimated.

The fact Awakening has been heavily acknowledged more than once leaves us to expect we will have an Awakening character, especially with how it has revived the Fire Emblem series. That much is true. The fact Ike was revealed as he were I would say is also indicative that more is to come.

That said, there could be grander designs beyond what we can see, and maybe they already had their hands full with other characters... Palutena being an example of a character who I have the utmost confidence in. If this is all we get for Fire Emblem, I must profess I would neither be surprised, or disappointed. They did a really bang up job with Ike this time.
All of this is true. Even so I've had the strong feeling since Awakening's release that we would see a third Fire Emblem character for Smash. The series has only become stronger because of Awakening. The reason I'm here now is that I'm happy to find out that there's actually a thread for Robin in SSB4, because Robin is the single best character to join SSB4 alongside Marth and Ike, as they all would fit their own unique styles.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Even then, the idea of semi-clone newcomers isn't something to entirely dismiss. Remember that Toon Zelda was planned for Brawl and could (though not likely) make it into Smash 4.
I can't really fathom three "Zeldas" on the roster, two Links is bad enough. But, whatever. Sakurai is weird.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
All of this is true. Even so I've had the strong feeling since Awakening's release that we would see a third Fire Emblem character for Smash. The series has only become stronger because of Awakening. The reason I'm here now is that I'm happy to find out that there's actually a thread for Robin in SSB4, because Robin is the single best character to join SSB4 alongside Marth and Ike, as they all would fit their own unique styles.
Welcome to Smashboards! It's great to see more supporters for Robin!

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Welcome to Smashboards! It's great to see more supporters for Robin!
Thanks! I felt the same way when I found this thread.

I can't really fathom three "Zeldas" on the roster, two Links is bad enough. But, whatever. Sakurai is weird.
I like to think that by some strange uh... Smashiness, Toon Zelda IS there as part of Zelda's moveset. I mean, the phantom knight is pink after all.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You dare bring CDI Link into the Robin thread!? YOU MUST DIE!

So, uh, is there anything actually Robin related to discuss?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The question we have been wondering all this time.

Will she have the eye patch.
I guess it could be a cool detail for alternate female costumes, so it's certainly possible.

Hong

The Strongest
I guess it could be a cool detail for alternate female costumes, so it's certainly possible.
My expectations:

Two genders, minimum three palettes each. Probably four total counting default.
Default body size, but hair styles that don't necessarily match that body.
Like all Fire Emblem characters, she will probably have an outfit that is a tribute to a past character. Can't imagine much other than purple for Katarina, being the other prominent tactician.
If they are going full Pikachu, hopefully we will get some of the oddball facial details and accessories. I can't remember much beyond a squinty-eyed and eye patch Robin, but it would be hilarious if we got the monocle from FE12's MU.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I think they could implement the weapon triangle in robin's moveset, since there isn't something necessarily canon that he/she uses. I was thinking of a "weapon type change" kind of moveset where down b would change his type from physical to magic weapons and viceversa, physical type would use sword slash for recovery, a lance rush for side b and a huge axe swing for regular b, while the magic type would use wind magic for recovery, fire for a side b and lighting for regular projectiles. They could also change some of his/her properties between types, like the physical type has faster falling speed and doesn't have good recovery but has stronger melee attacks, while the magic has slower falling speed, better recovery but weaker melee attacks. I think this way he/she would represent the strategic nature of fire emblem more. They could even put some easter eggs there, like the weapons he/she uses are actual weapons that the FE characters have used through the games.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I hate when people default to Chrom for a FE13 rep, that's something I never got was why would you want Chrom? He wasn't as memorable as Ike yet he was believed to replace him while being to similar to Marth! I mean really who wants 3blue haired dudes representing Fire Emblem? In my opinion Robin is just more likely to be relevant, because while Robin Him/Her self might not be in another FE game, almost certainly FE games will now have tacticians and always have tactics. Just more of my two cents...

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I hate when people default to Chrom for a FE13 rep, that's something I never got was why would you want Chrom? He wasn't as memorable as Ike yet he was believed to replace him while being to similar to Marth! I mean really who wants 3blue haired dudes representing Fire Emblem? In my opinion Robin is just more likely to be relevant, because while Robin Him/Her self might not be in another FE game, almost certainly FE games will now have tacticians and always have tactics. Just more of my two cents...
I believe most who default to Chrom only do so because that's all they know. Even though Fire Emblem has gained popularity, it's still just a fraction of the Smash players who don't play Fire Emblem. Chrom has been the "go to" since before we even got Awakening overseas.

After playing Awakening though, I've been especially hopeful for Robin's inclusion. Next to Marth, he/she is probably the best character to represent Fire Emblem as a whole. If they decided to brand Robin as "Tactician" or something like that as well, then they could transition from this tactitian to the others that are surely to come in the series, and could even represent previous tactitians like the one in FE7. Even so I believe Robin will be the given name if included.

Before I wasn't too sure of his/her chances, but after we saw Wii Fit Trainer's gender change my hopes really went up, and now that we've seen not only that Villager can gender swap, but ALSO has entirely different features as other costumes, my hopes for Robin have skyrocketed. I truly think we can get one more bigender character. Three's the charm, right?

My expectations:

Two genders, minimum three palettes each. Probably four total counting default.
Default body size, but hair styles that don't necessarily match that body.
Like all Fire Emblem characters, she will probably have an outfit that is a tribute to a past character. Can't imagine much other than purple for Katarina, being the other prominent tactician.
If they are going full Pikachu, hopefully we will get some of the oddball facial details and accessories. I can't remember much beyond a squinty-eyed and eye patch Robin, but it would be hilarious if we got the monocle from FE12's MU.
I think your ideas are right on the mark. I believe some of Robin's features may be based off of the promotional samples for Robin's customization. I also think hairstyles based on each version of Morgan could be an option too.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I can't help but shake this feeling Sakurai is not familiar with Fire Emblem beyond the initial console run and the remakes of Akanean games. >.> He didn't know who Ike was when he implemented him, and he still probably doesn't know much about the character now.

I mean, let's go a few years back. What if Sakurai came to Intelligent Systems again for advice and they just spat out Chrom? This was years ago, back when they were probably just thinking about who would be best for the currently running game in the series. I would hope that he would ask for alternatives that present options that are not in such abundance, but I already have lots of reasons to doubt the roster this time. @~@

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I can't help but shake this feeling Sakurai is not familiar with Fire Emblem beyond the initial console run and the remakes of Akanean games. >.> He didn't know who Ike was when he implemented him, and he still probably doesn't know much about the character now.

I mean, let's go a few years back. What if Sakurai came to Intelligent Systems again for advice and they just spat out Chrom? This was years ago, back when they were probably just thinking about who would be best for the currently running game in the series. I would hope that he would ask for alternatives that present options that are not in such abundance, but I already have lots of reasons to doubt the roster this time. @~@
I suppose given Smash's history there's always reason for doubt. The truth is, Sakurai probably did have a talk with Intelligent Systems about a Fire Emblem character. But they would definitely know that Ike is returning in Smash Bros. with this, so they may have talked in more detail whether Chrom would still be a good fit alongside the other two. There's certainly much reason to be worried, but I think there are still pretty good chances for Robin too.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I really doubt the conversation went:
Sakurai: "Hey, who should I put in Smash?"
IS: "Howbout Chrom?"
Sakurai: "Cool, will do. Later!" *click*
I'm sure they went into more detail than that about who would be a good choice, who's the most marketable (because, like it or not, that is a factor), and who would have the most interesting moveset.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, in terms of marketability, I think it's worth keeping in mind that despite Chrom being the face of Awakening, adding him into Smash, in addition to Marth and Ike, doesn't provide the best image of Fire Emblem to people unfamiliar with the series. It makes the series look like it's comprised of similar looking swordsmen and nothing else; even if Chrom is more recognizable than someone like Robin to those unfamiliar with Awakening, that doesn't automatically make him the best marketing option. And keep in mind, Smash is really popular and will be around for quite some time, so it would be a rather poor idea to represent your series in it in a way that makes the series look bland and uninteresting.

Does that make sense?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
You know, in terms of marketability, I think it's worth keeping in mind that despite Chrom being the face of Awakening, adding him into Smash, in addition to Marth and Ike, doesn't provide the best image of Fire Emblem to people unfamiliar with the series. It makes the series look like it's comprised of similar looking swordsmen and nothing else; even if Chrom is more recognizable than someone like Robin to those unfamiliar with Awakening, that doesn't automatically make him the best marketing option. And keep in mind, Smash is really popular and will be around for quite some time, so it would be a rather poor idea to represent your series in it in a way that makes the series look bland and uninteresting.

Does that make sense?
To us it does, certainly.

Outsiders just say Chrom, because they can't be bothered to search deeper for a new FE rep.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I actually thought most Smash fans who DIDN'T play Awakening (with of course, many who did play the game) wouldn't go for Chrom due to his lack of diversity.

Hong

The Strongest
I really doubt the conversation went:
IS: "Howbout Chrom?"
I'm sure they went into more detail than that about who would be a good choice, who's the most marketable (because, like it or not, that is a factor), and who would have the most interesting moveset.
Actually, that basically happened about seven years ago.
IS: "Howbout Ike?"
Especially since Eirika and even more so Ephraim were prime candidates for inclusion. Who didn't like the idea of a lance-wielder back then? Even Micaiah could have pulled a Roy, since we had not established if this would be a regular thing for Fire Emblem characters or not.

We may have never have had the Ike we have today, before Ike was a proven character. Ike's popularity wasn't even a thing back then. Sakurai didn't even know who he was. What differs now is that at least Ike is taking up what was a very obvious and lacking character archetype, so you could say there were a wider range of good options back then. In some ways, lack of series knowledge could benefit Robin. That same lack of thought and character insight could benefit her, since I would say Robin is equally as simple to devise a moveset as you would Ike. Robin has possibly seen more fan movesets on the character boards than any other character, with quite a variety of styles at that.

Of course, I'll always have to be the one to bring up the worst case scenario in this thread. It's because I like Robin so much that I don't want to let myself or anyone get too far ahead of themselves and find themselves disappointment. If Robin doesn't show up as a playable character, I hope we can all pick up our tomes, tip our hoods and be on our way.

If Robin DOES show up, I think the fact I have been such a Negative Nancy will make the reveal all the more rewarding. Everyone is welcome to rub it in my face. :)

IronFish

Smash Ace
Actually, that basically happened about seven years ago.
Especially since Eirika and even more so Ephraim were prime candidates for inclusion. Who didn't like the idea of a lance-wielder back then? Even Micaiah could have pulled a Roy, since we had not established if this would be a regular thing for Fire Emblem characters or not.

We may have never have had the Ike we have today, before Ike was a proven character. Ike's popularity wasn't even a thing back then. Sakurai didn't even know who he was. What differs now is that at least Ike is taking up what was a very obvious and lacking character archetype, so you could say there were a wider range of good options back then. In some ways, lack of series knowledge could benefit Robin. That same lack of thought and character insight could benefit her, since I would say Robin is equally as simple to devise a moveset as you would Ike. Robin has possibly seen more fan movesets on the character boards than any other character, with quite a variety of styles at that.

Of course, I'll always have to be the one to bring up the worst case scenario in this thread. It's because I like Robin so much that I don't want to let myself or anyone get too far ahead of themselves and find themselves disappointment. If Robin doesn't show up as a playable character, I hope we can all pick up our tomes, tip our hoods and be on our way.

If Robin DOES show up, I think the fact I have been such a Negative Nancy will make the reveal all the more rewarding. Everyone is welcome to rub it in my face. :)
I wanna rub it in Chrom supporter's faces :p

Top Bottom