• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
That much I understand, but are you suggesting is the tilts and the smash attacks are the same when your in the air? Just one can activate the Levin Sword and one can't? Also, I'm still sticking with the Levin Sword can't revert until it breaks in case you try to bring that up.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Sorry for my wonky wording.
No idea if you'll have to use up all charges of the Levin sword before you can go back to the bronze sword. Would kinda defeat the purpose of ressource management if you couldn't decide when to use what, but both ways are possible from what we know.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I also present this:

The wording for the Levin Sword implies that "Reflet uses the Levin Sword for Smash attacks". The expression for "uses" versus something like "powers up to" implies that it is used in the circumstance of performing Smash attacks, and doesn't sound like you pull it out and are forced to wield it until it breaks.

Ryan50

Smash Cadet
While it doesn't necessarily sound like it, we have seen Robin standing still while holding the Levin Sword. I'd like to think he'd put it away when he's not actually using it. As for the Miiverse post...All it says is " The Levin sword can be activated by using smash attacks--you can even activate these moves in midair!", that still doesn't mean the move we saw was a Smash Attack if the Levin Sword can't be put away. Also, mind linking where you got that scan? I'm interested in all the details of the scan, primarily the 30 at the top. o.o

Hong

The Strongest
While it doesn't necessarily sound like it, we have seen Robin standing still while holding the Levin Sword. I'd like to think he'd put it away when he's not actually using it. As for the Miiverse post...All it says is " The Levin sword can be activated by using smash attacks--you can even activate these moves in midair!", that still doesn't mean the move we saw was a Smash Attack if the Levin Sword can't be put away. Also, mind linking where you got that scan? I'm interested in all the details of the scan, primarily the 30 at the top. o.o
Robin doesn't put her tomes back when she's not using them, so I don't see a reason why the sword should be any different. She merely switches them whenever she uses an input that requires a different weapon. Robin actually carries nine weapons in all.

Just the same, Pit's swords can take any of three forms while not in use, and they switch to their appropriate form while attacking.

Scans can be found here, courtesy of @Master Shuckle.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Robin doesn't put her tomes back when she's not using them, so I don't see a reason why the sword should be any different. She merely switches them whenever she uses an input that requires a different weapon. Robin actually carries nine weapons in all.
B-b-but characters only have enough slots for 5 items in Awakening.

STOP BREAKING THE GAME ROBIN.

Gosh.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On Levin Sword, I personally think it's something that wears out when pulled off, but can't be switched, unless using an attack with a Bronze Sword. So far Smashes and the F-Air seem to use Levin Sword. I guess Sakurai tried to mean that F-Air Levin Sword packs same power as the when used for Smash Attacks'.

Also, it'd be quite a stretch to expect 3 types of attacks based on tomes for Robin if Excalibur-jab (the wind one) shares the place with this attack:

I still think that this is what is intended to be his Side-Tilt (basically Meta-Knight's Side Tilt with Robin). The Excalibur-esque attack is again his jab due the finisher at the end. Otherwise we should expect a thunder-variant as a Jab as well, and by so, to other standard attacks involving tomes.​

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Am I the only one who feels like the last act of Awakening was less "If we all work together we can end this" and more like "If everyone cares about Robin, he gets SUPERPOWERS"?

The story of the game honestly degraded as it progressed. The first act, Gangrel's act, was handled near perfectly. Valm, while cool, was really drawn out, confusing, and the most interesting things about it, the villains, are killed off before they impact the story in person. Your units basically are the third-wheel in the Valm story arc.

Then the last act is basically just "Friendship is Magic".

D

Deleted member

Even a month later and I'm still hyped to see Robin. I'm incredibly glad that he made it in Smash.

Am I the only one who feels like the last act of Awakening was less "If we all work together we can end this" and more like "If everyone cares about Robin, he gets SUPERPOWERS"?

The story of the game honestly degraded as it progressed. The first act, Gangrel's act, was handled near perfectly. Valm, while cool, was really drawn out, confusing, and the most interesting things about it, the villains, are killed off before they impact the story in person. Your units basically are the third-wheel in the Valm story arc.

Then the last act is basically just "Friendship is Magic".
Honestly, I thought the game picked up for me at Chapter 9. But, story wise, it wasn't so good after Chapter 14. The blame for this was the fact that the whole Valm arc was filler; if I removed it from the story, nothing would really change. Not even the Fire Emblem itself has super significant importance. The villains were cool, especially Walhart, but they didn't have story significance and they didn't really impact it.

And yeah, that sums up the last act.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think, even if the first act of the game wasn't too amazing, Chrom, at least, actually seemed like the main character because he actualy was a little dynamic.
Also, Gangrel? ****ing amazing villain. You love him for being so bad it's good, yet you hate him for being so bad.
That is how you design a villain. Make the viewer hate him for his actions. Not because he's just annoying, or looks funny.

And the interplay between Chrom and Gangrel was pretty great too, especially in Chapter 11.

D

Deleted member

I think, even if the first act of the game wasn't too amazing, Chrom, at least, actually seemed like the main character because he actualy was a little dynamic.
Also, Gangrel? ****ing amazing villain. You love him for being so bad it's good, yet you hate him for being so bad.
That is how you design a villain. Make the viewer hate him for his actions. Not because he's just annoying, or looks funny.

And the interplay between Chrom and Gangrel was pretty great too, especially in Chapter 11.
Gangrel was my favorite villain in Awakening.
He was an outlandish, mad ruler of the land of Plegia. This made him an enjoyable villain to watch in the story, mostly because of how crazy he is. I also enjoy the banter that he and Chrom have between each other.
[collapse=Awakening spoilers]I liked the Paralogue where you recruit him since it was such a downfall. It made this big, powerful leader plummet down into a nobody. Yet, he is still a crazy brute.
I also enjoyed his supports with male Robin. I like how he revealed that he was indeed a power-hungry fool, yet he had some good intentions with what he was doing. He was defending his homeland from Walhart and Valm, yet he got caught up in all of this power that he lost himself and became a greedy fool.
That's the best way to describe Gangrel; a power-hungry, greedy fool.[/collapse]

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Gangrel was my favorite villain in Awakening.
He was an outlandish, mad ruler of the land of Plegia. This made him an enjoyable villain to watch in the story, mostly because of how crazy he is. I also enjoy the banter that he and Chrom have between each other.
I never actually played his Paralogue, to be honest. I sort of lost interest after actually beating Grima on a file.
However, this exchange:

Gangrel: Good day, my little princeling! Still dreaming of your squashed sister?
Chrom: No more talk, Gangrel. Today you die, and peace returns to Ylisse and Plegia.
Gangrel: Pah! Such hypocrisy! You despise me, wretch! You want to cut me down! You don't know the first thing about peace. No man does!
Chrom: I know more than you ever will.
Gangrel: More than me? More than ME?! Bwa ha! ...You ARE me! When life asks you a question, you answer with blood!
Chrom: Maybe you're right... I will never be my sister. I cannot forgive men like you—men who sow nothing but evil. All I have left are her words, and her memory. Were I alone, I might be driven to madness. ...Or worse. But I'm not alone. My friends and brothers-in-arms stand behind me.
Gangrel: ...Are you done? May I vomit now? Bwa ha ha! What a flowery harangue! Men are beasts! Nothing more! We fight! We kill! We devour our prey! Beasts do not stand behind beasts, little prince... They use each other only so long as it suits their own selfish purpose!
Chrom: Perhaps this explains why your own soldiers refuse to stand behind you? You are a poison. A festering wound. And I will do what my sister could not.
Gangrel: Such a clever tongue you have, little prince... It will look quite fetching hanging on my mantle, next to your sister's corpse!

Probably one of the best in any game I've ever played. I love it.
Gangrel's dialogue sort of reminds me of

This guy.

Hong

The Strongest
The first act, Gangrel's act, was handled near perfectly.
I strongly disagree with this.

This part.

Feroxi Border: Welcome to Regna Ferox! You're an imposter, so we're all going to throw spears at you and verify it later.
Shepherds: EXP for me!
Flavia: Thanks for massacring like a hundred soldiers. Unfortunately we can't help you with your war...
Chrom: :(
Flavia: ... unless I become the leader!
Chrom: :|
Flavia: By winning a tournament! Which is going on LIKE RIGHT NOW! You like FIGHTING, RIGHT?
Chrom: :D!!
Flavia: Also, WE CAN'T USE OUR OWN FIGHTERS. So you should FIGHT for us. Like RIGHT NOW. I have NOTHING PREPARED for this seasoned duel that determines who rules an entire country. You are JUST IN TIME!
Flavia: YOU WON! WE'LL FIGHT FOR YOU NO HOLDS BARRED
Chrom: Great. I'm going back to my house. See ya.

And this part.

Philia: Plegia has kidnapped the duke's daughter! You know. MARIBELLE. That is, LISSA'S BEST FRIEND. What are the chances!
:4robinf:: Great! My chance to improve my image before a character who doesn't like me. Let's go!

And this part.

:4robinf:: Hey Chrom. Who is this old guy who I have never seen before?
Chrom: That is our chancellor! A truly trustworthy individual who has watched over us all our life.
:4robinf:: Strange. Somehow I get the feeling this old guy who the player has never seen before is just leading us into an ambush.
:4robinf:: For ****'s sake.

And there's more. That is just the tip of the iceberg on how ridiculous the storytelling was.

Hong

The Strongest
I was mostly referring to Gangrel, not the entire story.
Plus, I sort of gloss over everything from the first five chapters of this game, besides.
The story in concept is great. I guess they should have just focused one continent, just like every other Fire Emblem.

Imagine if the Gangrel arc had been 25 chapters, and the Valm saga could take place in a sequel focusing on Lucina.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The story in concept is great. I guess they should have just focused one continent, just like every other Fire Emblem.
Imagine if the Gangrel arc had been 25 chapters, and the Valm saga could take place in a sequel focusing on Lucina.
Hm...Lucina leading an army comprised of Ylisse's troops and Ferox, mowing down Valmese soldiers alongside Basilio, Flavia, and Chrom (and Robin of course)?

So, basically, what any competent player's endgame looks like?

Hong

The Strongest
Hm...Lucina leading an army comprised of Ylisse's troops and Ferox, mowing down Valmese soldiers alongside Basilio, Flavia, and Chrom (and Robin of course)?

So, basically, what any competent player's endgame looks like?
Perhaps Chrom is horribly wounded, or has to stay behind because Future Robin came back in time to kill baby Lucina, and retroactively prevent her from doing what she is doing right now. I felt like a lot of potential was wasted.

I'd be lying if I felt like Chrom needed to exist. Lucina literally wields the same blade and there is nothing stopping her from wearing the Fire Emblem.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd be lying if I felt like Chrom needed to exist. Lucina literally wields the same blade and there is nothing stopping her from wearing the Fire Emblem.
Well, as a hero and protagonist, I agree, Chrom is pretty pointless.
However, I think Chrom is more a representative of Ylisse's army than Chrom himself, which is why it's so important he doesn't die.
Robin repeatedly points this out (not the female Robin, though :()

As such, Robin is, obviously, the true protagonist of the game.
Chrom is the deuteragonist. And Lucina is under-appreciated.

Reynitsu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9310-5788
I strongly disagree with this.

This part.

Feroxi Border: Welcome to Regna Ferox! You're an imposter, so we're all going to throw spears at you and verify it later.
Shepherds: EXP for me!
Flavia: Thanks for massacring like a hundred soldiers. Unfortunately we can't help you with your war...
Chrom: :(
Flavia: ... unless I become the leader!
Chrom: :|
Flavia: By winning a tournament! Which is going on LIKE RIGHT NOW! You like FIGHTING, RIGHT?
Chrom: :D!!
Flavia: Also, WE CAN'T USE OUR OWN FIGHTERS. So you should FIGHT for us. Like RIGHT NOW. I have NOTHING PREPARED for this seasoned duel that determines who rules an entire country. You are JUST IN TIME!
Flavia: YOU WON! WE'LL FIGHT FOR YOU NO HOLDS BARRED
Chrom: Great. I'm going back to my house. See ya.

And this part.

Philia: Plegia has kidnapped the duke's daughter! You know. MARIBELLE. That is, LISSA'S BEST FRIEND. What are the chances!
:4robinf:: Great! My chance to improve my image before a character who doesn't like me. Let's go!

And this part.

:4robinf:: Hey Chrom. Who is this old guy who I have never seen before?
Chrom: That is our chancellor! A truly trustworthy individual who has watched over us all our life.
:4robinf:: Strange. Somehow I get the feeling this old guy who the player has never seen before is just leading us into an ambush.
:4robinf:: For ****'s sake.

And there's more. That is just the tip of the iceberg on how ridiculous the storytelling was.
LOL this post made my day :D

& yeah Chrom was sort of meh as a "protagonist". That's why I loved the <<Future Past>> DLCs. Gotta love those children :)

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well, as a hero and protagonist, I agree, Chrom is pretty pointless.
However, I think Chrom is more a representative of Ylisse's army than Chrom himself, which is why it's so important he doesn't die.
Robin repeatedly points this out (not the female Robin, though :()

As such, Robin is, obviously, the true protagonist of the game.
Chrom is the deuteragonist. And Lucina is under-appreciated.
I think Lucy's the deuteragonist. Chrom's basically a Macguffin.
LOL this post made my day :D

& yeah Chrom was sort of meh as a "protagonist". That's why I loved the <<Future Past>> DLCs. Gotta love those children
I think like the Days of Future Past DLC. Too depressing. And the ending cutscene is long. Like Metal Gear Solid long.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't those interviews we once used as evidence for Robin (and Lucina) say that Lucina and Robin were conceptualized before Chrom was? That could explain things a bit...

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
As a character, I think Chrom's at his best when they joke as if he's the only sane person. Err, more accurately, he's the only one to actually point out how silly a situation is.
Though it's almost exclusively shown in the DLC where some of the... situations... are incredibly stupid. I wish they had gone further with it as I found it to be a rather humorous and likeable trait the few times it was shown.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
As a character, I think Chrom's at his best when they joke as if he's the only sane person. Err, more accurately, he's the only one to actually point out how silly a situation is.
Though it's almost exclusively shown in the DLC where some of the... situations... are incredibly stupid. I wish they had gone further with it as I found it to be a rather humorous and likeable trait the few times it was shown.
I think they also give Robin that trait in a lot of scenes. Which makes sense, considering Robin is more sane than just about every other character he/she encounters.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I think they also give Robin that trait in a lot of scenes. Which makes sense, considering Robin is more sane than just about every other character he/she encounters.
What "sane" person would marry their best friend's daughter? :troll:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm sure that Smash is going to turn Robin x Lucina into "canon." :rolleyes:

Hong

The Strongest
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't those interviews we once used as evidence for Robin (and Lucina) say that Lucina and Robin were conceptualized before Chrom was? That could explain things a bit...
Lucina, yes. Nothing on Robin, though. I'd figure they had her in mind from the get-go ever since FE12, though. Even down to the use of a hood to conceal the face.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What "sane" person would marry their best friend's daughter? :troll:
A sane person, knowing what Lucina had gone through, would only wish happiness for her.

By any means necessary.

:4lucina:x:4robinm: forever.

Makes that moment when Lucina tries to bring herself to kill Robin because he's Grima's host much more powerful. Especially if you married her. If your heart didn't melt there, you have some serious stoicism.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
At the rate we're going, Robin will be the last newcomer officially revealed by Nintendo before Smash 4 is released.

How's it feel knowing Robin was the last to cross the finish line?

Last edited:

Reynitsu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9310-5788
A sane person, knowing what Lucina had gone through, would only wish happiness for her.

By any means necessary.

:4lucina:x:4robinm: forever.

Makes that moment when Lucina tries to bring herself to kill Robin because he's Grima's host much more powerful. Especially if you married her. If your heart didn't melt there, you have some serious stoicism.
I was initially not a Lucina x Robin supporter from the beginning, but now I love them as a couple. :D

At the rate we're going, Robin will be the last newcomer officially revealed by Nintendo before Smash 4 is released.

How's it feel knowing Robin was the last to cross the finish line?
I'm glad they could show how Fire Emblem isn't all just swords and I'm pretty happy about the lineup as it is right now. I think Robin's mechanics for limited uses will provide a variety to how each Robin player plays him. It was a spectacular add in my opinion. Having a fully charged thoron up could provide a good pressure/mindgame tactic.

Also it's interesting how Nosferatu damages more if cast behind an opponent. Any thoughts on that?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I was initially not a Lucina x Robin supporter from the beginning, but now I love them as a couple. :D

Also it's interesting how Nosferatu damages more if cast behind an opponent. Any thoughts on that?
Best couple ever IMO

I don't remember reading that anywhere, was it in a scan or something?
But to me it strikes of pragmatism for a tactician to use a darkness based sucker punch.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't remember reading that anywhere, was it in a scan or something?
But to me it strikes of pragmatism for a tactician to use a darkness based sucker punch.
Was both in Famitsu, and a Pic of the Day:

Pic of the day. Robin's Nosferatu is the first ability in the Smash Bros. series that recovers your damage as it gives damage to others. The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind! Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series.

As for my thoughts on it, I don't really care about the life drain. All that I care about is the fact that it's a command grab. If it's fast and reliable, it will be good no matter how much damage it deals or life it drains.

Hong

The Strongest
Added the Nosferatu PotD to the OP, as well as a few missing sources.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You guys just gotta keep remind me that I'm still the sole Chrom-fan in All Hail Robin Discussion-thread. :laugh:

On other hand, I think Future Past DLC should have been part of the actual story- because the main arcs had the Fire Emblem and it's gem collection truly feel like some unimpressive macguffin hunt- this is why I think it would have been much better to make Lucina b the a protagonist for the next half of Ylisse Saga should have been either in the game, or even be a new sequel game entirely.
Never the less, I have to agree that Awakening's story was going bit all over the place with not much build-up at the end, which rendered it pretty lacking and strange at times. Since Chrom was more compared to Sigurd (presumably) by Tiki in one of supports, they could have essentially pulled something like that to him (rendering him unable to join on rest of the story) and make Lucina go on in his stead to for rest of the game. Or move to the future where she and Robin keep has to put stop on Walhart from resurrecting Grima, but find out that it's Robin himself around the end. Basically Future Past-story being reworked to a longer and more in-depth arc. This would have made Chrom feel more like a fitting deuteragonist, following Sigurd-style arc.

However, I still think removing Chrom from the story entirely is bit of a stretch. It's more that role fell down in importance though after the Valm-arc ended, where he had that strongest due Emmeryn's assassination being the theme of that arc. I think this is where he became feeling like forced "importance" weight (until the Grima-arc, though that wasn't anything ground-breaking and as emotionally fueled as Future Past DLC Story).
Also, I'd be sad to see Lissa and Frederick (and definitely both Lucina and Robin) lose someone pretty important to them.

I personally think reworking the story out more to make the better use of characters and their roles of importance is more ideal than removing someone altogether, especially if they have significant role in the story. The baton just had to be passed forward when their time ends. (Incase Chrom's for Lucina. She could have resumed looking for Fire Emblem's remaining gems like you said.)

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You guys just gotta keep remind me that I'm still the sole Chrom-fan in All Hail Robin Discussion-thread. :laugh:
HERETIC

just kidding lol. I would have taken Chrom over Lucina in Sm4sh, personally, but Lucina isn't a flat character with a boring personality. Doesn't mean Chrom's completely boring.

how many times will I bring up porn recruitment posters to make a point

Hong

The Strongest
Keep in mind, the context of my message was removing Chrom from the Valm saga. Lucina would be like Seliph or Roy, succeeding their fathers in birthright, taking in both sacred relics and their responsibility. My suggestion was a sequel to Awakening, so everything the player has earned on Chrom is not being thrown away. In that sense, Chrom would have more importance than he did in Awakening by having a more frontal role for the duration of the game.

I wouldn't run too ahead of yourself with that, @ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ . I am a Chrom fan, as well as a number of others. My views on the fact Robin is infinitely better for Smash Bros than him is completely irrelevant to my love for the character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I got bit other impression from most posters' quotes - one would guess you all would be alright with removing him entirely from the story. Pardon me?

Keep in mind, the context of my message was removing Chrom from the Valm saga. Lucina would be like Seliph or Roy, succeeding their fathers in birthright, taking in both sacred relics and their responsibility. My suggestion was a sequel to Awakening, so everything the player has earned on Chrom is not being thrown away. In that sense, Chrom would have more importance than he did in Awakening by having a more frontal role for the duration of the game.

I wouldn't run too ahead of yourself with that, @ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ . I am a Chrom fan, as well as a number of others. My views on the fact Robin is infinitely better for Smash Bros than him is completely irrelevant to my love for the character.
Oh, I see. But yeah, that's exactly what I meant when talking about reworking the story.

I didn't deny a mage-rep being much more better than Chrom in my opinion, but I brushed that aside as a pipe dream of sorts due expecting patterns to fall on Chrom's favor ultimately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom