• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think anyone's brought this up yet. Take a look at this clip:

So you know how they added a feature where characters that are far enough in kill range start giving off smoke? Well...Fox isn't doing that, and he gets sent flying.

I know he was a featherweight in Brawl, but this gives us reason to believe the Levin Sword is pretty damn powerful. Or at least the Levin f-air is. >_>
Wow, you're right.

That Levin Sword seems like it will be incredibly powerful.

Something else I've noticed is that the end of Robin's jab attack uses an elemental spell that has a fair bit of knockback, despite Robin only using a bronze sword. So it would seem that as long as Robin has tomes available, he/she can still do some decent damage and knockback to opponents even without the Levin Sword. Of course, the tomes run out at some point, and I doubt it would be easy for Robin to send opponents flying simply by using finishers and Thoron. I imagine that's where the Levin Sword comes in; giving Robin a significant boost in power that makes it easy for him/her to send foes off the stage once they've racked up damage from Robin's spells.

But just by looking at the trailer, it doesn't seem like opponents have to be damaged that much before the Levin Sword can send them flying...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It seems that lot of moves either have negligible knockback or a ton of it.

Look at the series of moves Robin does to Falcon. Dtilt merely sends him a few feet. Fire Jab Finisher sends Falcon away so fast the camera can't keep up. That Levin Fair wasn't enough to kill since Fox didn't emanate that red-black spark characters get now when they're certain to die, but the move itself has potent knockback to it.

I think characters start billowing smoke around the 150% range. I think Levin Fair killing around 105-110 sounds right, provided that Robin's projectiles deal an incredibly high amount of damage, which is a possibility given the durability mechanic.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, JC did compare Levin Sword to sweetspot moves, only you don't have an actual sweetspot to hit to satisfy the conditions. That is why I felt Zelda's lightning kicks were a reasonable assumption for the time being, since it's on the lower echelon of deadly attacks. Painful, but not quite a Marth tipper.

•Col•

Smash Champion
This is actually a rather important matter.

If it launches Robin into the air, but doesn't put her into freefall, I'll gladly take it as an OOS option. Especially on Battlefield or anywhere with platforms above.
I've been really, really hoping that this is the case. I would love it if Elwind doesn't send him into freefall. A good utility option that you mentioned would be the Up B out of shield. Being able to launch yourself out of shield without freefall will definitely be a useful defensive option.

Not to mention it would give him so much mobility in the air and he would become one of those characters that's really difficult to juggle. If they try to jump up after you, just Up B to shoot up to avoid their attack while shooting some projectiles downwards.

It'd be nice to be able to play a character with some aerial mobility options for once..... I've played FE characters in every Smash game now (and Link in 64).. :dizzy:

Hong

The Strongest
I've played FE characters in every Smash game now (and Link in 64).. :dizzy:
I literally just thought about my experiences as a 64 Link main and I shuddered.

No, I'm not just typing that. I seriously did.

Gosh it's so terrible. T~T

Anyway, I am more likely to think it won't put Robin into free fall, than the contrary. Reason being that Elwind is a limited resource; if it only has, say, four uses in a short time frame and takes 6 seconds to regenerate, it can be balanced.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I'd like to note that we can't really speculate about knockback power all that much until we see the game for ourselves.
While the trailer probably gives a rough estimate of what the developer wanted it may a) be doctored to make the character look more exciting and more likely b) based on preliminary stats that changed during development for balance reasons.
This might be especially true with the way JC stumbled over his words when he talked about Robin. It's been a while since I saw the clip but I think he might have even said that Robin changed a little between versions or something like that.

Though I don't want to be a spoilsport and kill all the speculation fun :3
Might just as well be that Robin will stay relatviely the same to the version they made the trailer with.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
It looks really cool, though. The graphical effect of the Levin Sword in motion is beauty unmatched.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Shame there isn't any good artwork of F!Robin as a Hero.
I can't remember if there's any decent artwork of F!Robin outside of her Tactician/Grandmaster cloak.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I can't remember if there's any decent artwork of F!Robin outside of her Tactician/Grandmaster cloak.
Yea I couldn't find any either. I still have to get Awakening though and I am all hyped after this Robin reveal! Although I know some spoilers, I have to get my hands on that game ASAP!

I just hope that SMT * FE comes along soon, both of them are some of my favourite series. And I really liked SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked which might show how SMT*FE might play like! Also we need an HD Fire Emblem on Wii U!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It just dawned on me that Robin's alts could be some of her classes! I'm totally up for a Myrmidon or a Pegasus Knight alt!
I would love that, but I don't know if they would go that far in customizing their appearances. At best, I'm expecting the Grandmaster outfit to be an alt.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
All the Fire Emblem characters in Smash have belonged to a class that is exclusive to them or them + a family member in their series. Ike inherits Greil's Hero design, Lucina and Chrom are Lords, and Robin and Morgan are the only Tacticians. I don't think Robin's going to stray away from the Tactician design. At the very least a Grandmaster alt, but no farther.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Every time I read Robins name I thought about Robin Williams, one of my favorite actors. Such a sad day :(
I'm still super hyped to play as him, though.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Every time I read Robins name I thought about Robin Williams, one of my favorite actors. Such a sad day :(
I'm still super hyped to play as him, though.
He passed away?! ):

The hype is strong within this one, October 3rd cannot come by any faster! I wanna see Robin's customizable moves and hopefully sHe'll have the Grandmaster outfit as an alt.

•Col•

Smash Champion
It looks really cool, though. The graphical effect of the Levin Sword in motion is beauty unmatched.
All lightning moves in Smash have awesome hit animations.

-coughknee-coughlightningkick-coughganondair-

Hong

The Strongest
I'm actually fairly confident that the Levin Sword will hold immense power. It is not launch power that concerns me, so much as durability. What will it be... three hits, perhaps?
All lightning moves in Smash have awesome hit animations.

-coughknee-coughlightningkick-coughganondair-
The knee...

Please let it return to Melee glory.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm going to watch Aladin in his honor.
I'm going to watch Patch Adams in his honor.

And play Awakening and name the lead character after one of the greatest comedians of all time.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Even if the next main series Fire Emblem is on the 3DS, I am interested to see what it will look like.

The characters only ended up without feet because they didn't know how powerful the hardware was beforehand, for example. It is also a possible explanation for why the animations are kind of between PoR and RD. Not quite as stiff as PoR, but not as showy as RD, either. I would LOVE if I could somehow convince them to try and emulate the GBA-style battle animations either in detailed sprites or in 3D, though I doubt it will happen.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Two members of that family have smash characters now.

Also, Good Will Hunting for me.

I would LOVE if I could somehow convince them to try and emulate the GBA-style battle animations either in detailed sprites or in 3D, though I doubt it will happen.
This would be amazing.

For me the best-case scenario is seeing Rekka no Ken remade with Awakening features like the avatar being an actual character, and a combination of the awesome banner + saying before a crit that awkening did and the epic sprite work of the GBA era.

Lyndis going epic blade lord while the banner of her eyes appears and she goes "I will cut you down!" ... I want that.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Even if the next main series Fire Emblem is on the 3DS, I am interested to see what it will look like.

The characters only ended up without feet because they didn't know how powerful the hardware was beforehand, for example. It is also a possible explanation for why the animations are kind of between PoR and RD. Not quite as stiff as PoR, but not as showy as RD, either. I would LOVE if I could somehow convince them to try and emulate the GBA-style battle animations either in detailed sprites or in 3D, though I doubt it will happen.
Let's also not forget that certain features were cut for time, like Fog of War. I'd love to seem them refining the gameplay even more.

BTW, what character is your current avatar?

Hong

The Strongest
Let's also not forget that certain features were cut for time, like Fog of War. I'd love to seem them refining the gameplay even more.

BTW, what character is your current avatar?
I am sure they got a lot of feedback about that. I know the people who liked Nephenee, people who liked interactive terrain, people who liked alternative objectives, are not a loud minority.

For your question, she is no one in particular. I have a thing for armour, and this artist draws a lot of it. Here is the full image:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I don't think Nosferatu's variants will necessarily be command grabs. After looking at Roslina's custom Nspecials, they all work rather differently, they just have the same animation.

So it's quite possible Nos can beomce Ruin or Waste or Mire or Goetia or what have you.

Arcfire could become Bolganone or Valflame or Dying Blaze or whatever.

Thunder is a bit tricky since it has quite a few tomes in it.

Elwind has a lot of different options.

Or, and I like this idea so much more, the elements could be changed around the custom moves. Like Nspecial could get changed from Thunder to Wind or Dark. Sspecial could be changed from Fire to Thunder or Wind. Uspecial could change to Thunder or Dark, And Dspecial could get change from Dark to Wind or Fire. While working differently but keeping the same animations.

There are a ton of possibilities.
Actually this would be kind of counterproductive. See, there is a reason you can use thoron, but only arc fire (one step down from highest "normal" firespell) and Elwind (2 steps down). If you buy tomes as Robin in Awakening, you will see all basic firemagic is 1 point worse than thunder when used by Robin, and basic wind is 2 points worse, which happens to be exactly the stages the spells are lower on the "spellhirarchy" in Sm4sh.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I am sure they got a lot of feedback about that. I know the people who liked Nephenee, people who liked interactive terrain, people who liked alternative objectives, are not a loud minority.

For your question, she is no one in particular. I have a thing for armour, and this artist draws a lot of it. Here is the full image:
But not weapon weight. No more weapon weight. Ever.

Great pic, BTW, and thanks for the artist link.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
... Damnit to hell, i just recently began playing Awakening, and i was sure i would take the default look for M-Robin because i always liked characters with white hair and that is his smash appearance...And then i saw i coiuld get basically the shade of red that my favourite anime character has.. (go figure, hint, its my avatar)...Damn. Now i have join the ones hoping for the possibility of pallette swaps with different haircolours D:

Folt

Smash Ace
... Damnit to hell, i just recently began playing Awakening, and i was sure i would take the default look for M-Robin because i always liked characters with white hair and that is his smash appearance...And then i saw i coiuld get basically the shade of red that my favourite anime character has.. (go figure, hint, its my avatar)...Damn. Now i have join the ones hoping for the possibility of pallette swaps with different haircolours D:
Hair colours being different in pallette swaps is a good possibility for Robin, and yes: I'm hoping for that as well.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

This would be amazing.

For me the best-case scenario is seeing Rekka no Ken remade with Awakening features like the avatar being an actual character, and a combination of the awesome banner + saying before a crit that awkening did and the epic sprite work of the GBA era.

Lyndis going epic blade lord while the banner of her eyes appears and she goes "I will cut you down!" ... I want that.
That would be epic! Although the storyline would have to be changed significantly to accommodate the strategist being playable. As I know from my little knowledge of Awakening, the avatar's role has been built from ground up and he plays a very major role in the story while the Rekka no Ken strategist was just a placeholder to include the player. No storyline inclusion, no major role, nothing.

A remake without the strategist, rebuilding the game to incorporate Awakening mechanics, that could happen but I doubt it considering that series has become pretty old and Nintendo has not made Lyndis playable, again. All the hype is on Awakening now with the Lucina and Robin reveal.

What I most want to see would be a HD Fire Emblem game in vein with the Tellius series, incorporating the great elements from FE: Awakening while refining them further, like the customizable main character. It could most possibly be the BEST as well as the prettiest Fire Emblem to date. Although I doubt Intelligent Systems has the resources to pull that off on its own.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Robin already has an alt: Male Robin.
Fixed. :denzel:

So far, characters such as Little Mac and Villager seem to have multiple alts instead of just one. So I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Robin had a Grandmaster alt.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

This would be amazing.

That would be great.

Folt

Smash Ace
So far, characters such as Little Mac and Villager seem to have multiple alts instead of just one. So I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Robin had a Grandmaster alt.
Well, I'm not gonna exclude the possibility of Robin potentially having more than one alt. His Grandmaster outfit is a part of him after all.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wish people would stop calling F!Robin an "alt". She is clearly being promoted together with M!Robin. Both are present in the official render in the official site, both were in the reveal trailer, etc. Robin isn't simply an alt like F!Villager and M!Wii Fit Trainer (In fact, I don't consider even these two simple alts). Just my two cents.

I also wish both Robins were present in Robin's board icon. If we can have emotes like this one > :sheilda: It wouldn't be hard to put both Robins in the board icon.

Folt

Smash Ace
I wish people would stop calling F!Robin an "alt". She is clearly being promoted together with M!Robin. Both are present in the official render in the official site, both were in the reveal trailer, etc. Robin isn't simply an alt like F!Villager and M!Wii Fit Trainer (In fact, I don't consider even these two simple alts). Just my two cents.

I also wish both Robins were present in Robin's board icon. If we can have emotes like this one > :sheilda: It wouldn't be hard to put both Robins in the board icon.
F!Robin is promoted a bit more than M!WFT and F!Villager, but M!Robin was still promoted even more than her (got most of the reveal trailer and talked with Lucina, is the one together with Lucina on the promotional art by the artist, overlaps F!Robin's official render, and the character image on the link that leads to his page when looking at a character is his face and only his). F!Robin's official render also got some marked changes that stand out to me as a result of M!Robin being the face of the two, as the opposite being true is very doubtful, and some of those changes can only be because she is an alt of the default character (which, in my argument, is M!Robin).

Top Bottom