• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
That is true, the problem is that Robin never had his own custom unique sword like all the other lords. Chrom, Lucina, and Marth had the Falchion while Ike had his Ragnell.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Robin's ftilt alone looks to be just as slow and have as much lag as Bowser's fsmash, only unlikely to have a fraction of the power and 0 super armour. Bowser will run fast, hit harder, live longer. Robin's strengths in comparison will likely be superior ranged utility and hopefully the Levin Sword makes her competitive in the air. I really hope Robin's actions are not as heinously laggy as they were in the trailer... since I feel the frames before the attacks come out already make them fair.Sure. It can damage the enemy for 1%, heal Robin for 1%. Just the same, it could just damage the enemy for 2%.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The healing effect of Nosferatu isn't much better than pummeling, unless it heals for a lot.
I'd say Robin will run at least as fast as Bowser or Ike. Giving him a higher weight than those 2 would be extremely weird. Also, if we can take the Jab+Fire-finish as any kind of hint, his Jab-Combo can hit just as hard and fast as Bowsers (in regards of knockback at least, and since it is a 3-part-combo i'd imagine it roughly doing the same percentage aswell). The Levin-Sword-Smash seems to also hit similar (maybe a bit weaker) as Bowsers. I doubt we will get something as godly as that freaking Dropkick though... Oh well, how did Chrome say "anything can change". And Bowser doesn't exactly have a long ranged poke/spacing-tool, his fire-breath seems to cover a little more horizonatal but less vertical distance compared to ArcFire.

Hong

The Strongest
I'd say Robin will run at least as fast as Bowser or Ike.
I don't know. Bowser just genuinely runs fast. Not as fast as an actual fast character, but decent. Smash Bros likes to give heavyweights fast dashes, with Charizard and DK coming to mind. Falcon as well if you count him.

I just sort of thought Robin may end up between Link or Samus, just by virtue of both theme as well as her other animations.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Robin may be slower, because most of Robin's attacks are very fast. Some of Robin's attacks are a bit slow (Arcfire), true, but more of Robin's attacks seem to be very fast and long-ranged. Granted, Robin will still be decently fast with a dash, but Robin will probably be one of the slower characters in the game.

Hong

The Strongest
I think Robin may be slower, because most of Robin's attacks are very fast. Some of Robin's attacks are a bit slow (Arcfire), true, but more of Robin's attacks seem to be very fast and long-ranged. Granted, Robin will still be decently fast with a dash, but Robin will probably be one of the slower characters in the game.
We haven't seen a lot of Robin's moves, but the dtilt, ftilt, and specials don't impress in the speed category.

Jab being fast and smashes being slow are by virtue of their respective attack categories, though the aerial fsmash seemed decent.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I forgot that's he starts with Thunder. Then Thunder being his signature move makes a whole lot of sense.

Hong

The Strongest
Starts with Thoron/Thunder, as well as uses Thoron in cutscene.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Silver hair is pretty standard for Thunder (and Light) users too.

I'm pretty sure it's actually a japanese cultural thing.
Only other two I can think of at the moment that are "big" are Mikoto Misaka and Sailor Jupiter, both of whom have brown hair.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
That is true, the problem is that Robin never had his own custom unique sword like all the other lords. Chrom, Lucina, and Marth had the Falchion while Ike had his Ragnell.
Probably because Robin isn't a lord. :p

I think yellow is probably a more common hair color for Lightning/thunder users, but there are always exceptions to the hair color rule.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Robin's reveal trailer and smash character model kind made the Levin Sword and Thunder Tome his/her unofficial but memorable weapon set kind of of like how Chrom and Lucina always had their Falchions. Expect to see more Robin cosplayers in future with Levin Swords and Thunder Tomes as their props.
Like me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Silver hair is pretty standard for Thunder (and Light) users too.

I'm pretty sure it's actually a japanese cultural thing.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MysticalWhiteHair

Seems to be a common trope to have white hair for magic users. Fellow Fire Emblem character Micaiah also comes to mind.

Still hoping his alt colors use different colored hair and different hair styles, even though white hair looks cool.

And yeah, Thunder seems to be Robin's signature magic element. He starts with a Thunder tome and a Bronze Sword in the first chapter of Awakening, has a Thoron tome during the premonition and uses Thunder magic on the cutscenes. In Smash 4, he can use all common Thunder tomes and also has a Levin Sword. The tagline also alludes to this: "Robin Brings the Thunder!"

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I still think Levin Sword is a bad choice for the only reason that it would be a bad choice in Awakening. Why would you, a tactician, bring a magic damage dealing weapon to the fray if you already mainly deal magic damage?!...
Now that's no strategy...

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I still think Levin Sword is a bad choice for the only reason that it would be a bad choice in Awakening. Why would you, a tactician, bring a magic damage dealing weapon to the fray if you already mainly deal magic weapon?!...
Still better than only using the bronze sword for melee

D

Deleted member

I still think Levin Sword is a bad choice for the only reason that it would be a bad choice in Awakening. Why would you, a tactician, bring a magic damage dealing weapon to the fray if you already mainly deal magic weapon?!...
I'm fine with Robin using it in Smash since it goes with the whole "Robin Brings the Thunder!" motif that they established in his trailer.
With that being said, I never had Robin use a Levin Sword (or swords in general). The Levin Sword easily gets outclassed by other tomes. I also never had anyone else use a Levin Sword...
Except for Gangrel really, but that's because that's his main weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Levin sword is just a stylistic choice, and personally I think it looks great, and as a magic sword (and the only one in Awakening) also helps differentiate Robin from other sword-wielders, which Sakurai clearly wants to do.

Hong

The Strongest
Because enemies in Fire Emblem are polite, and the tactics are tailored towards those foes. They'll stand there and let you flail around before launching mystical death in their direction. The characters in Smash Bros don't play by those rules and having a weapon suited for close-quarters makes more the difference, regardless of whether the damage is physical or magical.

Worthy opponents indeed!:4robinm:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Because enemies in Fire Emblem are polite, and the tactics are tailored towards those foes. They'll stand there and let you flail around before launching mystical death in their direction. The characters in Smash Bros don't play by those rules and having a weapon suited for close-quarters makes more the difference, regardless of whether the damage is physical or magical.

Worthy opponents indeed!:4robinm:

Which is why I forgot how to use the ranged attack on my Levin Sword! :4robinm:

But yeah, I do see why the Levin Sword makes sense stylisticly. I guess I'm just still bothered by it because I don't particularly like it's looks and the Fire Emblem context. Doesn't change the fact that it'll be awesome in Smash.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Which is why I forgot how to use the ranged attack on my Levin Sword! :4robinm:
Well, if it's going to break after only a handful of uses, it would be a bit tactically unsound to be wasting it at a distance when you have two tomes that work at a range, only to leave yourself vulnerable in close-quarters.

That's NOT strategy.:4robinf:

I will say that, while it looks better than it does in Awakening, I don't like its design, either.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think the Levin Sword looks ridiculous. Why not bringing back the Light Brand? That sword is awesome. But this is a Robin thread, not a Fire Emblem weapon discussion.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think the Levin Sword looks ridiculous. Why not bringing back the Light Brand? That sword is awesome. But this is a Robin thread, not a Fire Emblem weapon discussion.
It's also a social thread. So anything is allowed to be talked about.

As long as it doesn't break the global rules, of course.

I still wish Robin had a Brave Sword myself. But hey. What can you do about it?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually feeling kind of nostalgic for the days before Robin's confirmation. This thread was a lot more active and sillier in the past.

But I suppose it's the price to pay for an official confirmation of a character you really want. It could have been worse, though.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
We haven't seen a lot of Robin's moves, but the dtilt, ftilt, and specials don't impress in the speed category.
I could understand the specials being slower if they're strong, at least. We could have a real problem on our hands if most of Robin's attacks are slow and telegraphed...not to mention how strange it'd be for Robin to be slow, since his speed in-game is average to slightly above if it isn't affected by assets or flaws.

Meanwhile, something's bugging me about this clip:

Take a look at the lag between Thunder shots. That doesn't mean the landing lag problem is still there, does it? Could it just be because Thunder is a chargeable move and the player had to press B twice? Is there anyone who's played Brawl more recently that can say how close this is to the speed Lucario can throw uncharged Aura Spheres at?

Doesn't seem like Thunder'll be spammable, at least. It'll be more of a momentum disruptor or a fast-moving zoning tool.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The Levin Sword is a nice stylistic choice because it's spiky design makes it look more wicked and pragmatic, much like Robin himself.

The ******* had no problem setting the Valmese navy up in smoke with his own ships. The Levin Sword is basically bling for him at this point.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Levin sword appeared in a good number of fire emblem games.

It can both be used as a attacking weapon and a magical weapon. A sword that can by extension be empowered by magic, something that robin is good in thanks to his craving for knowledge and proficiency with magic or whatnot; might just be the best weapon for him.

(Logicially speaking, and not going by the games rules)

Also the design looks pretty cool and more fitting for his "No ordinary swordsman" declaration.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Levin Sword doesn't look too bad in Smash imo.

I wasn't a fan of the design in Awakening.

It does the job it was probably intended to do though, an "unorthodox" sword for an "unorthodox" Smash FE rep

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't know about you guys but the Levin Sword was the most recognizable sword in fire emblem with its unique ability and appearance.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I wouldn't go so far as to say the Levin Sword is the most recognizable in all of Fire Emblem. That probably goes to the Iron Sword, or possibly the Raiper.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually feeling kind of nostalgic for the days before Robin's confirmation. This thread was a lot more active and sillier in the past.

But I suppose it's the price to pay for an official confirmation of a character you really want. It could have been worse, though.
I know how you feel. I kind of dreaded the day when Chrom may have been confirmed and put an end to this thread and its discussions. I think we had a great little community amongst the Robin supporters. It is a bit of a pity that discussion as it was has died down, but it's hard to complain now that our long held dream has been realized.

Besides, it's not like discussion went away entirely.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

You want to be sillier?
Okay...
We can talk about waifus if you want. That's pretty silly. :troll:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I know that if SmashBoards allowed downvotes I would get downvoted to hell. But does anyone else find Robin x Lucina to creepy?

I mean, I like Lucina. However I feel I'm an uncle to her instead of a companion.....even thinking about it makes me cringe...

Case in Point:

Top Bottom