• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
People would oddly hate it I'm sure.

Because you know, apparently the likes of Waluigi and Skull Kid being put on a high pedestal is a wonderful prospective towards how people want characters.
Yeah, I'm sure that Robin would probably get some hate at first, especially since so many people think Chrom is an absolute shoo-in. And the fact that he's not every other character the fan base wants. But I don't think that his inclusion will be met with too much criticism, and I'm sure people will warm up to him, especially if he has a unique playstyle he can obviously pull off.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think it's just mostly when you get zealous people on any given subject there is going to be some backlash against a concept. FE character discussion has been extremely heated this time around causing quite a bit of frustrating conversation that I think a lot of people are just kind of tired of. Given that Awakenings differences did kind of create polarization in the fan base that wasn't there before has added a lot of fuel to the fire. I'm on the side of wanting an awakening character in the new game, however I've kind drifted away from singling out one character I want be in the game because of all of the mess. It's hardly worth engaging in a lot of it now.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
... I just kind of actively don't want Chrom anymore.

The fans have that effect on you.
It's the fans?
I don't want Chrom solely because it's Chrom (Male Sword Lords, yeah). I'd be happy with Lucina, Micaiah, Lyn or Robin. Not-Chrom seems more likely than any one other FE character. And I can take solace in that.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
... I just kind of actively don't want Chrom anymore.

The fans have that effect on you.
I feel the same with Ridley. I know he's popular and all, but every time I read, "that roster in fake because it doesn't have Ridley in it", I want to pull my hair out. Not every Metriod fan is like that though.

Although I'd squee if Robin got in, I would understand if Sakurai didn't include him/her.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I kinda don't want Chrom because I think he'd replace Ike and increase the risk of not getting Robin by already representing Awakening. And as some people already stated, he really isn't that great a character. Not a bad one either, but I think aside of being supportive of his friends/family/army the most active thing he does in the story is marrying and fathering Lucina.

So, with that customization argument out of the way, how would you all react if Robin was, in fact, confirmed for the game? I know we've talked about what it would be like if Chrom got in instead, but I don't recall us talking about a best case scenario reaction.
I'd be happy, lean back and wait for the game to come out. Honestly I'd be happy with the newcomer selection if only one of either Robin, Travis Touchdown or Isaac makes it. Since Mega Man is already in and I doubt they'll make any cuts in the returning roster that would bother me I'm pretty much chill and happy with every new character announced.
As for the general public: I assume there'll be a good mix between "Who's Robin?" "Why not Chrom or Lucina?" and "Cool." Probably with random curse words strewn about.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Lately my view has totally shifted from "Man, we totally need Chrom in this game, they'd find a way to make him unique" to "Robin would be alot more outwardly unique, potentially female and add a magic twist to the current FE representation.

It's not like I'd be disappointed with Chrom, but now I'm gunning a whole lot harder for Robin.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
I think Hong or someone jokingly suggested that it be like when Robin regains consciousness at the beginning of the game, but instead of Chrom and Lissa over him it was some Smash Bros. characters. Which is silly, but I like it. I don't really have an idea.
Here's an idea:

Replace Marth with Chrom for extra troll. :) And instead of cutting to the title screen, the newcomer punchline cues followed by of course gameplay with Id/Fire Emblem theme playing.
Little Mac's debut shows we don't need 3D models for reveals, artwork is good enough.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I had an idea for Robin's reveal trailer recently. It involved a hooded figure infiltrating a military camp, foiling a few ambushes, and entering a large and important-looking tent. The figure removes his hood and reveals himself to be... Link. Then a shadowy figure steps out from behind a desk covered in books and maps...

RobAvaTician boins the jattle!

I figured that this idea had the appropriate level of both misdirection and crossover. Oh, and hoods. Smash Bros needs more hoods.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
As for the general public: I assume there'll be a good mix between "Who's Robin?" "Why not Chrom or Lucina?" and "Cool." Probably with random curse words strewn about.
This, but I also assume the Miiverse reaction will feature a lot of "plz put in (insert character who isn't even remotely eligible here) Sakurai." Although that's just kinda how Miiverse would react to any newcomer.

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
This, but I also assume the Miiverse reaction will feature a lot of "plz put in (insert character who isn't even remotely eligible here) Sakurai." Although that's just kinda how Miiverse would react to any newcomer.
Ugh, Miiverse........ I've seen people ask for the Powerpuff Girls and Goku which seriously makes me question what these people are thinking.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I am glad us tacticians are well bound together. I would say as a fanbase, we have grown the most, at least in my eyes. Maybe Sakurai will notice us for that...

So, thoughts on our fanbase growth and possibility of Robin atm?

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
I am glad us tacticians are well bound together. I would say as a fanbase, we have grown the most, at least in my eyes. Maybe Sakurai will notice us for that...

We've gained a lot of support in the last few months. Which is good, we also have a lot of people sharing ideas, strengthening us as a fanbase. I'd like to say everyone here is now at least friends with each other. As for Robin, the chances are getting higher and higher, but we'll have to wait and see

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Any popularity gained around the last couple of months won't affect the roster, considering that it has been finalized a long time ago.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I find funny how the discussion of the customizability comparisons between the Villager and Robin continued without me...
Well, i already said this before but Fire Emblem is going to have two characters in the worst situation and three in the best.
Marth already confirmed, SSB selected him to be the main character of Fire Emblem.
Awakening is the most successful game of Fire Emblem, i have no doubts that at least one character of Awakening is going to be in SSB.
If Ike is not in SSB4 i see the possibility of a second Awakening character but i think that he is going to return.

At the end like or not the most probably Fire Emblem characters are going to be Marth, Ike and Chrom.
Time may proof that im wrong.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Ugh, Miiverse........ I've seen people ask for the Powerpuff Girls and Goku which seriously makes me question what these people are thinking.
Well, whenever a fighting game comes out that I am remotely interested in, I always joke about Goku being in it. But, uh, I don't understand the PPG thing. It's been said too much to be a joke.

At the end like or not the most probably Fire Emblem characters are going to be Marth, Ike and Chrom.
Time may proof that im wrong.
I certainly hope so, but if we get Ike back and a FE newcomer I'll still be happy.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Any popularity gained around the last couple of months won't affect the roster, considering that it has been finalized a long time ago.
From all we know, development could still take a year. They DO say 2014 and I'd rule out most new IP characters introduced in 2014, too. However, Robin was introduced in 2013 and - for that amount of time - has gained a considerable amount of popularity for a character with only ever vaguely defined sex, facial features and combat style.

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
From all we know, development could still take a year. They DO say 2014 and I'd rule out most new IP characters introduced in 2014, too. However, Robin was introduced in 2013 and - for that amount of time - has gained a considerable amount of popularity for a character with only ever vaguely defined sex, facial features and combat style.
Well actually 2012 in Japan, so that gave him more time to become popular, but you do still have a point. How much you wanna bet they'll delay the game at least once?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well actually 2012 in Japan, so that gave him more time to become popular, but you do still have a point. How much you wanna bet they'll delay the game at least once?
If Chrono's observations of Japan is anything to go by during 2012-2013, Roy and Chrom are the only characters that got a good amount of Smash requests around that time over there.

To clarify, I'm not saying Robin won't necessarily be in this game, just that requests won't factor into her/his inclusion but rather, other factors would.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
If Chrono's observations of Japan is anything to go by during 2012-2013, Roy and Chrom are the only characters that got a good amount of Smash requests around that time over there.

To clarify, I'm not saying Robin won't necessarily be in this game, just that requests won't factor into her/his inclusion but rather, other factors would.
I dunno, I've always been wary of that. I mean, Chrono's just one guy, and what all did he look at? Just fan sites like this one? Because that's a pretty small representation of the fan base. Most Smash fans are more casual and don't go on sites like this one anyway.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I dunno, I've always been wary of that. I mean, Chrono's just one guy, and what all did he look at? Just fan sites like this one? Because that's a pretty small representation of the fan base. Most Smash fans are more casual and don't go on sites like this one anyway.
But the casual fans mostly support Chrom, I believe, because they think he's the only one from Awakening who has a chance.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But the casual fans mostly support Chrom, I believe, because they think he's the only one from Awakening who has a chance.
They mainly support him under the statements that he's the main protagonist and the face of the game, even though in actually the focus is more or less distributed between him, Lucina, and Robin.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Delays seem unlikely since there's no SSE and no character like Sonic to single-handedly delay the game. We've already got Megs, we've got enough. I might expect the 3DS version to get delayed if they can't work out whatever issues they had with it easily (ICE CLIMBERS, but Rosa seems to work so maybe not).

They mainly support him under the statements that he's the main protagonist and the face of the game, even though in actually the focus is more or less distributed between him, Lucina, and Robin.
Exactly. They likely haven't even played the game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, what are the main counter arguments against out tactician? I want to see how we can counter them, akin to how the Lip thread and K Rool thread display and dispute the chief counter arguments...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So, what are the main counter arguments against out tactician? I want to see how we can counter them, akin to how the Lip thread and K Rool thread display and dispute the chief counter arguments...
Uh, I've heard:
1.) But Chrom is the main character.
2.) No customizable characters.
3.) Robin isn't popular enough.
All of which are terrible arguments (especially number 2). Seems pointless to address such awful arguments. Nevertheless, they've all popped up in this topic and have been beaten down.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Uh, I've heard:
All of which are terrible arguments (especially number 2). Seems pointless to address such awful arguments. Nevertheless, they've all popped up in this topic and have been beaten down.
To briefly counter all of these arguments, you can just say this

1)He shares the role with Robin, who is also a main character
2)Villager
3)Popularity isn't everything, otherwise we wouldn't have had the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, 4 of the 6 Melee clones and the Wii Fit Trainer.

D

Deleted member

Uh, I've heard:
4) Robin is not Awakening's poster-guy.

Answer : So were Link with the first Zelda game, PKMN Trainer with most of the Pokémon core games and Lucas with Mother 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Competition with Lucina could also be a point to consider. Lucina got a fair share of advertisement herself.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Competition with Lucina could also be a point to consider. Lucina got a fair share of advertisement herself.
True, but she's just... too Marth. Who is already in.
Unless they pull something pleasantly surprising and make her have a completely new playstyle I also might be worried that if both her and Marth are on the field one might confuse them in the heat of the moment. Especially if she has a "Marth" skin. And just look at Marth. If I didn't know better I'd think HE was a girl :D

Joke aside, the main argument against Robin seems to be his relative low exposure due to him being a customizable main character which we already agreed on would not be an issue of Sakurai and his merry band of designers want to go for a more unique character.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
True, but she's just... too Marth. Who is already in.
Unless they pull something pleasantly surprising and make her have a completely new playstyle I also might be worried that if both her and Marth are on the field one might confuse them in the heat of the moment. Especially if she has a "Marth" skin. And just look at Marth. If I didn't know better I'd think HE was a girl :D
I think you posted literally everything I hate about Lucina detractors in three lines.

I'm considering sigging it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Unless Lucina ends up as part of a tag-team, I can't see her chance being high enough to give Robin a run for his/her money.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I think you posted literally everything I hate about Lucina detractors in three lines.

I'm considering sigging it.
Honestly I wouldn't mind her being in if her animations would be so different that mixing them up mid-match would be impossible.
But I doubt that more than one Awakening character will make it (at least unless they'll do DLC characters for the game) and until a miracle happens and they add two I'll stick with Robin as my pick for who of the three main characters should make it.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Honestly I wouldn't mind her being in if her animations would be so different that mixing them up mid-match would be impossible.
But I doubt that more than one Awakening character will make it (at least unless they'll do DLC characters for the game) and until a miracle happens and they add two I'll stick with Robin as my pick for who of the three main characters should make it.
Which is fine. That's a matter of preference.

Spouting the trite "clone Marth LOL MORE LIKE MARTHA AMIRITE" nonsense, however, is really misinformed and insulting.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
So.......have we basically went over everything we can for Robin?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I have a question for the people here. Assume in this case you know your decisions would come true and that this is the only input you'll have on the game. If you had to chose between Robin or a Chrom and Robin duo, which would it be and why?
You know no details about either possibility, only that you must chose between the two.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I get the feeling that Chrom is going to be part of a tag team in some way, shape, or form. The question is will it be Lucina or Robin.

I honestly can't pick between the two...

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Which is fine. That's a matter of preference.

Spouting the trite "clone Marth LOL MORE LIKE MARTHA AMIRITE" nonsense, however, is really misinformed and insulting.
Sorry, I really should have worded my text better since I didn't mean to come across like that. Aside from what I already stated in my last post here's what I really wanted to say:
I am kind of afraid that if she'll be in, the development team might go the lazy route and just make her a Marth clone which - I agree - would be a complete misjudgement of her as a character. Luckily, from what I remember, Sakurai already said that they wanted to get rid of "clone" characters for exactly such a reason.

And the last part about Marth being girly was really just that - a jab at Marth for being so incredibly feminine - I didn't want to imply her being obsolete because of that.
I do have to admit that I came across like a dunce with what I wrote so again, sorry if you felt insulted by it - and thanks for pointing it out.

I have a question for the people here. Assume in this case you know your decisions would come true and that this is the only input you'll have on the game. If you had to chose between Robin or a Chrom and Robin duo, which would it be and why?
You know no details about either possibility, only that you must chose between the two.
Robin because there's more possibilities for him/her in terms of gameplay. Pretty much the same reason why I'd want Robin over any other FE character.

Top Bottom