• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have a question for the people here. Assume in this case you know your decisions would come true and that this is the only input you'll have on the game. If you had to chose between Robin or a Chrom and Robin duo, which would it be and why?
You know no details about either possibility, only that you must chose between the two.
For me, it would obviously Robin. I really dislike the idea of forcing two characters into one, when they can work fine on their own (which is why I was relieved that Diddy wasn't paired with Dixie.)

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I would definitely prefer one of them over two. Sure we'd get two characters represented in the same series and it would make sense, but I feel like it is a bit of a blow to the character's skills as a fighter. Robin and Chrom can pair up, but they don't need to. It's not necessary unlike how it is with the Ice Climbers who depend on each other.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The thing to remember is Robin has an easier time going solo due to his abilities being much more distinctive, while with Chrom he's forced to have some sort of convoluted gimmick otherwise he'll fall flat as nothing more then an inferior Ike or Marth wannabe.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I have a question for the people here. Assume in this case you know your decisions would come true and that this is the only input you'll have on the game. If you had to chose between Robin or a Chrom and Robin duo, which would it be and why?
You know no details about either possibility, only that you must chose between the two.
Robin alone. Chrom and Robin seems like it'd be weird to control. Ice Climbers makes sense since they use the same moves, and Rosalina and Olimar don't really fight alongside Pikmin and Lumas so much as they order them around. Two simultaneous fighters with different moves? No thanks. And if they switched out, well wouldn't it just make more sense for them to have two separate slots, since they're different people?

D

Deleted member

Robin alone. Chrom and Robin seems like it'd be weird to control. Ice Climbers makes sense since they use the same moves, and Rosalina and Olimar don't really fight alongside Pikmin and Lumas so much as they order them around. Two simultaneous fighters with different moves? No thanks. And if they switched out, well wouldn't it just make more sense for them to have two separate slots, since they're different people?
inb4 Pokémon Trainer.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I feel Chrom and Robin as a duo are more likely, because that would give the two main characters of Awakening a spot. And also that if they give Robin a stance change moveset, it isn't much more of a stretch to make his sword user side Chrom instead.

Obviously everyone in this topic wants Robin solo more, though.

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
I feel Chrom and Robin as a duo are more likely, because that would give the two main characters of Awakening a spot. And also that if they give Robin a stance change moveset, it isn't much more of a stretch to make his sword user side Chrom instead.

Obviously everyone in this topic wants Robin solo more, though.
Well in my opinion, putting 2 characters with great possibilities together doesn't let either of them use their full potential. But that's just me.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I really never saw the appeal of the combo. But that's just me...

Anywho, if Ike gets revealed this month, or before a FE Newcomer, how would this change the FE Newcomer spectrum?

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
So, what are the main counter arguments against out tactician? I want to see how we can counter them, akin to how the Lip thread and K Rool thread display and dispute the chief counter arguments...
I would love to see Robin in manly because he/she would make for a intresting moveset. I like Chrom but he is kinda too similar to Ike

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really never saw the appeal of the combo. But that's just me...

Anywho, if Ike gets revealed this month, or before a FE Newcomer, how would this change the FE Newcomer spectrum?
If the Series completion theory can be relied on, a FE Newcomer would be more likely to be revealed next.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I can't find the link, but the theory basically goes that once all veterans of an established series has been confirmed, a newcomer my then be revealed after. An example of this in practice would be the Mario franchise, which had all the veterans confirmed before Rosalina was revealed and how a DK newcomer wasn't revealed in the February Direct as Diddy hasn't been revealed yet.

Ergo, under this assumption, considering how weird it was for Marth, a character that has been traditionally left as a secret character, to be revealed in November, if Ike is also randomly revealed before the April Direct, a FE newcomer may be revealed around April.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I wouldn't put a lot of merit into that, but if we were to get Ike soon I think it would be more likely we get an FE Mewfomer next.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seems like there's been a bit of Robin discussion outside of this thread lately, yet nothing here. On another note, Robin is being rated in that uniqueness thread. It's a nice opportunity for us to show our support.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Seems like there's been a bit of Robin discussion outside of this thread lately, yet nothing here. On another note, Robin is being rated in that uniqueness thread. It's a nice opportunity for us to show our support.
Hm? Wait where?

Just to get some conversation going, assuming Snake is in again, what do you think Robin's Codec call would be like?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, any new movesets for Robin? What ideas do we have besides Stance (my favorite), pure sword, or pure magic?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So, any new movesets for Robin? What ideas do we have besides Stance (my favorite), pure sword, or pure magic?
Well, there's that one idea where Robin uses various member of Shepards to fight. In a psuedo-summon sort of deal. I think that's on the OP.
As for other ideas, maybe one where Robin can switch between classes or uses weapons from other classes? I think there may be one like that on the OP too, though.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Well, there's that one idea where Robin uses various member of Shepards to fight. In a psuedo-summon sort of deal. I think that's on the OP.
As for other ideas, maybe one where Robin can switch between classes or uses weapons from other classes? I think there may be one like that on the OP too, though.
As cool as though those two ideas are, wouldn't they be difficult to implement in a Smash Bros game? If Robin were to summon all of the shepherds, I feel like it'd essentially be like creating a bunch of assist trophies to fight for him/her. On top of designing the shepherds themselves, the character animation would be a headache to deal with...It'd be too time consuming. The same goes for Robin switching between several classes and weapons. Just my opinion though. I like Robin just being able to use sword and magic.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I've stated before how I'd love to see a moveset based on the class change mechanic without having to switch stances to achieve this (as I tend to find movesets with stances/transformations/character switches cumbersome). This would pretty much mean he/she'd use different weapons for almost every attack which would be unique in it's own way. Though I have to admit it wouldn't be quite as interesting gameplay-wise as the stance/character change idea.

Well, let's see what I can put together:

Neutral B: Thoron
Robin throws the good' ol lance of thunder foward. It's a pretty basic projectile in that matter. To make things more interesting, here's an idea of how the skill could differ from your basic pot-shot ranged attack:
Add a short cast time and change the spell being cast based on where you tilt the analog stick during that time. This could run the risc of making a single attack way too versatile but with the channel period it would also leave Robin open for a quick preemtive strike or a evasive maneuvre. I'm sure there's plenty of cool ideas you could do.
Examples: Tilting up - Bolganone: lava erupts from below the enemy, launching them upwards. Tilting down - Flux: Dark energy pulls the enemy down from above (possibly spiking them with a sweet spot)

Side B: Ignis
Robin draws a sword, prepares to jump and does an attack based on how you time a second press of the B button:
No additional button press: Robin jumps foward (similiar to his/her Tactician/Grand master Critical/Skill Proc animation), imbuing his blade with magic mid-air and landing a hard-hitting strike.
directly after side B: Instead of jumping foward Robin fakes out, almost instantly firing a short range magic attack after which he/she dashes foward to further punish the opponent with the sword.
short pause before pressing B again: Robin makes the jump attack without magicly enhancing the weapon and instead casts a spell after landing a hit with the sword.

Up B: Rescue Staff
Lissa comes in riding a Pegasus, using the Rescue Staff to teleport Robin so safety. Once the Pegasus is on screen, it can be controlled slightly to adjust for a better angle or attack position.
This attack may be problematic because it's basicly another relatively large scale model that has to be created (unless it's also used in the Ultra Smash, which would make the effort worth it). Alternatively Robin could use the Rescue Staff him/herself though that wouldn't make much sense in terms of what the thing does in the FE series... And would also "just" be another teleport move.

Down B: Watch out!/Astra
Morgan (appropriately of opposite gender to the chosen Robin skin) jumps onto the battlefield, pushing Robin behind the enemy and blocking the attack. Robin immediately counter attacks by pulling out a sword and attacking five times.
Mechanicly, this is basicly just a fancier looking version of Marth, Roy and Ike's down B counter attack that hits the enemy from the opposite direction. To put a bit more unique flare into it, Morgan always jumps in and pushes Robin. If no attack is blocked, Robin won't counter attack and stumble, leaving him/her open for an attack! Basicly a higher risk/reward version of the usual FE Counter.

I'll go into less detail with the A attacks, but they are quite important to get across what I wanted to achieve with the moveset (since the Special Moves all relied on Sword and Sorcery.)

Side Smash: Axe
Robin does a spin attack with an Axe

Down Smash: Spear
Robin stabs diagonally downward with a spear, potentially impaling enemies on it, then smashes to the ground it in a wide swing above his/her head, sending enemies flying on impact.
Up Smash: Bow
Robin unleashes a flurry of arrows directly skywards. They quickly loose speed and rain back to the ground. They deal a decent amount of damage and knockback when they hit an enemy just as they are fired, but they quickly loose damage and don't have any knockback once they travel.
Side Air: Daggers
Robin does a few quick strikes with a dagger. While they technicly didn't exist as a seperate weapon type in Awakening, I still think it fits the character to have as many different weapon types as possible.

Down Air: Throwing axe
Robin strikes with and throws a throwing axe, first slashing it in a small arc downwards, then throwing it diagonally forward towards the ground.
Up Air: Lance
Robin stabs diagonally upward in both directions, then straight up.

Neutral Air: Arcwind
Robin is engulfed in magical wind, hitting enemies close to him/her multiple times.

Ultra Smash: Invisible Ties
The critical hit close-up from Awakening appears as Robin proclames: "Time to tip the scales!"
One after another several Awakening Characters come in and attack Robin's foes before jumping off-screen and making room for the next one to attack.
I imagined this order (presuming none of these would make it as Characters or Assist Trophies):
Chrom, Lucina, Morgan, Lissa, Tharja, Frederick, Vaike, Tiki
Of course that list is mostly arbitrary aside from Lissa and Morgan who'd already have models in the game from Robin's up B and down B. Tiki would make a good finisher and you have to cram Chrom and Lucina in if they don't make any other appearance in the game. Tharja, Vaike and Frederick are basicly just in to have a few more character styles represented.
Another possible list would be all the characters that have a special Beach/Hot Springs DLC image since that was based on a popularity poll at the time as far as I know.

Hm, after reviewing this I have to admit there's quite a lot of projectiles in the moveset, 2 of them even from A attacks... well, guess that stuff happens when you come up with the moves on the fly ;)
I mainly wanted to get the Class Change and Pair-up gameplay features of Awakening across while still portraiting Robin as the thinking man/woman that he/she is.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I've stated before how I'd love to see a moveset based on the class change mechanic without having to switch stances to achieve this (as I tend to find movesets with stances/transformations/character switches cumbersome). This would pretty much mean he/she'd use different weapons for almost every attack which would be unique in it's own way. Though I have to admit it wouldn't be quite as interesting gameplay-wise as the stance/character change idea.

Well, let's see what I can put together:

Neutral B: Thoron
Robin throws the good' ol lance of thunder foward. It's a pretty basic projectile in that matter. To make things more interesting, here's an idea of how the skill could differ from your basic pot-shot ranged attack:
Add a short cast time and change the spell being cast based on where you tilt the analog stick during that time. This could run the risc of making a single attack way too versatile but with the channel period it would also leave Robin open for a quick preemtive strike or a evasive maneuvre. I'm sure there's plenty of cool ideas you could do.
Examples: Tilting up - Bolganone: lava erupts from below the enemy, launching them upwards. Tilting down - Flux: Dark energy pulls the enemy down from above (possibly spiking them with a sweet spot)

Side B: Ignis
Robin draws a sword, prepares to jump and does an attack based on how you time a second press of the B button:
No additional button press: Robin jumps foward (similiar to his/her Tactician/Grand master Critical/Skill Proc animation), imbuing his blade with magic mid-air and landing a hard-hitting strike.
directly after side B: Instead of jumping foward Robin fakes out, almost instantly firing a short range magic attack after which he/she dashes foward to further punish the opponent with the sword.
short pause before pressing B again: Robin makes the jump attack without magicly enhancing the weapon and instead casts a spell after landing a hit with the sword.

Up B: Rescue Staff
Lissa comes in riding a Pegasus, using the Rescue Staff to teleport Robin so safety. Once the Pegasus is on screen, it can be controlled slightly to adjust for a better angle or attack position.
This attack may be problematic because it's basicly another relatively large scale model that has to be created (unless it's also used in the Ultra Smash, which would make the effort worth it). Alternatively Robin could use the Rescue Staff him/herself though that wouldn't make much sense in terms of what the thing does in the FE series... And would also "just" be another teleport move.

Down B: Watch out!/Astra
Morgan (appropriately of opposite gender to the chosen Robin skin) jumps onto the battlefield, pushing Robin behind the enemy and blocking the attack. Robin immediately counter attacks by pulling out a sword and attacking five times.
Mechanicly, this is basicly just a fancier looking version of Marth, Roy and Ike's down B counter attack that hit's the enemy from the opposite direction. To put a bit more unique flare into it, Morgan always jumps in and pushed Robin. If no attack is blocked, Robin won't counter attack and stumble, leaving him/her open for an attack! Basicly a higher risk/reward version of the usual FE Counter.

I'll go into less detail with the A attacks, but they are quite important to get across what I wanted to achieve with the moveset (since the Special Moves all relied on Sword and Sorcery. Which was quite intentional.)

Side Smash: Axe
Robin does a spin attack with an Axe

Down Smash: Spear
Robin stabs diagonally downward with a spear, potentially impaling enemies on it, then smashes to the ground it in a wide swing above his/her head, sending enemies flying on impact.
Up Smash: Bow
Robin unleashes a flurry of arrows directly skywards. They quickly loose speed and rain back to the ground. They deal a decent amount of damage and knockback when they hit an enemy just as they are fired, but they quickly loose damage and don't have any knockback once they travel.
Side Air: Daggers
Robin does a few quick strikes with a dagger. While they technicly didn't exist as a seperate weapon type in Awakening, I still think it fits the character to have as many different weapon types as possible.

Down Air: Throwing axes
Robin throws a pair of throwing axes; one diagonally and one straight down.
Up Air: Lance
Robin stabs diagonally upward in both directions, then straight up.

Neutral Air: Arcwind
Robin is engulfed in magical wind, hitting enemies close to him/her multiple times.

Ultra Smash: Invisible Ties
The critical hit close-up from Awakening appears as Robin proclames: "Time to tip the scales!"
One after another several Awakening Characters come in and attack Robin's foes before jumping off-screen and making room for the next one to attack.
I imagined this order (presuming none of these would make it as Characters or Assist Trophies):
Chrom, Lucina, Morgan, Lissa, Tharja, Frederick, Vaike, Tiki
Of course that list is mostly arbitrary aside from Lissa and Morgan who'd already have models in the game from Robin's up B and down B. Tiki would make a good finisher and you have to cram Chrom and Lucina in if they don't make any other appearance in the game. Tharja, Vaike and Frederick are basicly just in to have a few more character styles represented.
Another possible list would be all the characters that have a special Beach/Hot Springs DLC image since that was based on a popularity poll at the time as far as I know.

Hm, after reviewing this I have to admit there's quite a lot of projectiles in the moveset, 2 of them even from A attacks... well, guess that stuff happens when you come up with the moves on the fly ;)
I mainly wanted to get the Class Change and Pair-up gameplay features of Awakening across while still portraiting Robin as the thinking man/woman that he/she is.
Cool moveset man...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, is anyone else getting excited for April? It's not too far off at this point, and it seems a Fire Emblem newcomer is one of the more likely reveals. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before we learn the fate of our tactician.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, is anyone else getting excited for April? It's not too far off at this point, and it seems a Fire Emblem newcomer is one of the more likely reveals. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before we learn the fate of our tactician.
I say that if Robin is celebrated, we make a collage of all the FE classes, and mold it into the face of our Tactician...

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Ok.......I think we've officially run out of things to talk about........

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ok.......I think we've officially run out of things to talk about........
It's not just here, either. It seems like a lot of Smashboard character discussions are dwindling due to a lack of noticeable news updates. We've had a couple of noteworthy things, like the Little Mac trophy that's from Captain Rainbow, and that Mii stage that seems to strongly hint towards their inclusion, but without any big character updates or the like, there just isn't much to discuss at this point that hasn't already been talked about.

We'll just have to see what kind of things Sakurai has planned to end the month with. Maybe he'll get me something nice for my birthday this Friday?

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Random Thought: Do you think Risen would work as an Assist Trophy/stage hazard?

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I rather have them as enemies in Adventure Mode, but a stage hazard could work. They'd be a waste of an Assist Trophy in my opinion

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seems a little to generic for an Assist Trophy, and Risen aren't (at first, at least) fought in Arena Ferox. Plus the stage already seems to have a gimmick of changing shape to a degree. So I'd say no.

Maybe Risen could be summoned if they decided to make a Grima based Final Smash for Robin?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, Risen aren't really iconic to the Fire Emblem series, so I don't think they should be made assist trophies.

Stage hazard could work, but not on Arena Ferox. Maybe the (hypothetical) Wii U Fire Emblem stage?

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
It's not just here, either. It seems like a lot of Smashboard character discussions are dwindling due to a lack of noticeable news updates. We've had a couple of noteworthy things, like the Little Mac trophy that's from Captain Rainbow, and that Mii stage that seems to strongly hint towards their inclusion, but without any big character updates or the like, there just isn't much to discuss at this point that hasn't already been talked about.

We'll just have to see what kind of things Sakurai has planned to end the month with. Maybe he'll get me something nice for my birthday this Friday?
Oh yeah I almost forgot, Happy a Birthday to you, good sir.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Well, Risen aren't really iconic to the Fire Emblem series, so I don't think they should be made assist trophies.

Stage hazard could work, but not on Arena Ferox. Maybe the (hypothetical) Wii U Fire Emblem stage?
I think the only way Risen should make it into the game is as adventure or challenge-mode enemies. Keep in mind that aside from those Zombie guys all risen are basicly just random dudes with purple particle effects over them. Could make for a decent FE-styled Survival/Beat them All! challenge or something like that.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I think the only way Risen should make it into the game is as adventure or challenge-mode enemies. Keep in mind that aside from those Zombie guys all risen are basicly just random dudes with purple particle effects over them. Could make for a decent FE-styled Survival/Beat them All! challenge or something like that.
There should be some zombie forms of the other characters too. That'd be interesting.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, how about that Chrom "leak?" Should we be concerned about this at all?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I suppose it's a little early to say, but the nature of the leak itself (being in someone's room, and the timing, of course) just seems very fishy to me. I personally think it's more than likely going to be just an elaborate April Fools Day prank. It's not exactly unheard of, after all.

Oh, and while this might be unlikely, even if the leak is legitimate, there is still a small chance that Chrom could be an assist trophy. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I suppose it's a little early to say, but the nature of the leak itself (being in someone's room, and the timing, of course) just seems very fishy to me. I personally think it's more than likely going to be just an elaborate April Fools Day prank. It's not exactly unheard of, after all.

Oh, and while this might be unlikely, even if the leak is legitimate, there is still a small chance that Chrom could be an assist trophy. Just something to consider.
Yeah, looking at it some more, it looks like a shopped April Fool's day prank. A good one, for sure, but it looks fake because of it being a character so similar to an existing one (easy to shop) and it being in the guy's room.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, looking at it some more, it looks like a shopped April Fool's day prank. A good one, for sure, but it looks fake because of it being a character so similar to an existing one (easy to shop) and it being in the guy's room.
So...what leak are we talking about? o3o

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
It is certainly well done, but his face looks too close to Marth's for me to trust it. Also, someone's room? Really? Screams fake.

Top Bottom