• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Also, notice what language the books/posters are in? If anyone were to legitimately leak something from this game, they'd almost certainly be in Japan, not any English speaking country.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Also, notice what language the books/posters are in? If anyone were to legitimately leak something from this game, they'd almost certainly be in Japan, not any English speaking country.
A plausible explanation is that this guy is an English translator or something who was working on translating the video for Chrom's reveal trailer. It's not likely, but it's a possibility.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
A plausible explanation is that this guy is an English translator or something who was working on translating the video for Chrom's reveal trailer. It's not likely, but it's a possibility.
He would just be sent the video, not the game in that case.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I suppose that is possible, but the trailers usually only have one line of text announcing the character. Meaning that they'd only need to send it to one guy, which leads me to a few conclusions.
A) They'd probably send it to someone they trust. A direct in-house employee of NoA or something. Or even a direct in-house employee of NoJ who knows English. Not the kind of random English translator who would leak game footage.
B) They would know exactly who made this leak. With Palutena, it could have been anyone working on the game, but this guy has decided to show part of his room too, clearly identifying him as the one English speaker with access to the reveal trailer. He'd be sacrificing every job he could ever have with Nintendo, and probably with other Japanese companies, if they find out, just to flip off Chrom.
C) Why would they even need to send the video to the translator? They could just e-mail him: Hey, translate the sentence "Chrom (does something pun-worthy)!"
Overall, it just seems like Nintendo would be much more careful than to let a leak like this happen.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The video still includes gameplay.
Right, but the Wii U in the pic appears to be on, and there is also no computer in the pic. It seems like the prankster has the game.
I know it's fake anyway, just mentioning this.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, it seems that the Chrom leak has been officially de-confirmed.

There's still hope for us tacticians!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd laugh my pants off if they had a trailer with Chrom, Lucina and Robin, but ended up confirming Robin playable instead.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, we have a really big Direct coming up, it seems. I think it's quite possible that the Fire Emblem Newcomer, if there is one, will be revealed as part of it. So, who thinks it could be Robin we'll see this time around?

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Well, we have a really big Direct coming up, it seems. I think it's quite possible that the Fire Emblem Newcomer, if there is one, will be revealed as part of it. So, who thinks it could be Robin we'll see this time around?
Sorry I live under a rock. Is this today? And yes it could be.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Er, never mind I just saw. A Smash Bros. Direct huh? Yeah it's definitely a possibility.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I think we'll be seeing our FE newcomer. Whether it's Robin or Chrom remains to be seen, but it's the moment of truth now! Either that or the moment of "wait til E3."

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I'll laugh if Robin is confirmed and Chrom isn't. Not that I don't like Chrom and all, but the irony would be hilarious.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
If Robin was confirmed and Chrom wasn't, I would fly to Japan, find and hug Sakurai, and then leave and fly back. Without saying anything.

Well, not really, but I'd be very very happy.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It is kind of an important fact, the apperance of Robin or Chrom is pretty likely to kill off the chances for the other. I wouldn't realistically see both of them.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It is kind of an important fact, the apperance of Robin or Chrom is pretty likely to kill off the chances for the other. I wouldn't realistically see both of them.
Yeah, if Chrom gets confirmed, I'll probably stop supporting Robin. I seriously doubt they'd be adding TWO brand new characters from the latest game to the roster. Especially if we see Ike return as well.

It'd be a great pity, though. This is probably Robin's only chance at ever making it onto a Smash roster. I somewhat doubt we'll see his exact character return in a future installment. If he DID get in, though, the fact that he represents the Avatar concept, as well as several key elements of the Fire Emblem series, would go a long way in making him a staple on the Smash roster for future games.

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
If Robin was confirmed and Chrom wasn't, I would fly to Japan, find and hug Sakurai, and then leave and fly back. Without saying anything.

Well, not really, but I'd be very very happy.
And if he doesn't....*unshealthes sword* we know what we have to do

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And if he doesn't....*unshealthes sword* we know what we have to do
Don't be ridiculous, chopping up Sakurai with a sword just because Robin didn't get in wouldn't solve anything.

We have to use the magic Robin could have used if he were playable. Only then will Sakurai truly understand Robin's potential...

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Don't be ridiculous, chopping up Sakurai with a sword just because Robin didn't get in wouldn't solve anything.

We have to use the magic Robin could have used if he were playable. Only then will Sakurai truly understand Robin's potential...
I'll get the tome of unimaginable horrors!

Edit: Wait no, that'll be Eternal Darkness fans plan of attack.....

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
No, if Robin wasn't playable, I'd still happily buy both games and enjoy them.

But I would say "man, I wish Robin were playable" at least once.

Can you handle that kind of guilt Sakurai? Make an innocent person slightly peeved, but not peeved enough to not buy the game!?

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
As much as I want Robin, I am expecting Chrom more... Curse myself for being a tad bit pessimistic!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
As much as I want Robin, I am expecting Chrom more... Curse myself for being a tad bit pessimistic!
Don't worry, you're not alone. I feel the same way. Chrom is the more likely character, there's no doubt about that. A lot of people go so far to claim he's a lock... That seriously annoys me...

But I think Robin isn't given enough credit. I think there is a legitimate possibility that Robin could appear in the game. Not necessarily a huge one, but it's there. After all, Robin is one of the two main characters of Awakening, Chrom being the other. It's a rather interesting situation where there are actually two characters of equal importance that could be added to represent their game. The issue, of course, is that Robin is an avatar (though to be fair, he/she isn't a true avatar character, considering the character has preset characteristics such as personality and history). This in itself is not necessarily an issue though, due to the Villager also being an avatar character, and a much more customizable one at that. If something like Villager can get in, then Robin should be less of an issue. The main problem with being an avatar in Robin's case is that there is another main character who is not customizable, and as a result is the more marketed. That, of course, is Chrom. Naturally, since Chrom is the face of Awakening, and the most popular character from it as well, it seems, he's the most likely character to appear in Smash. However, Robin's saving grace is the apparent emphasis placed on uniqueness this time around. With every newcomer thus far bringing something brand new to the table, and the appearance of Rosalina, an unlikely Mario rep who introduces an entirely new playstyle, it would seem that uniqueness is an important factor for getting into the roster. This is where Robin wins out. Whereas Chrom's natural, signature abilities are the same ones already used by Marth and Ike, Robin's capabilities as one who can alternate between the use of swords and magic stand out as something unique that could be easily translated into the Smash environment. Like Rosalina, he/she may not be the most obvious choice, but what he/she can bring to the table is significantly more than what his/her biggest competition can offer.

It all depends on what Sakurai wants, I suppose. If having the most recognizable and marketed character from Awakening is what's most important, he'll go for Chrom. However, if he wants something that could offer something entirely new to the cast of Fire Emblem characters, and to all of the Smash roster, while still promoting Awakening, he'll go for Robin. Only time will tell at this point.

On that note, what do you all think of Robin's chances? Do they exist? Is he perhaps more likely than we give him/her credit for? Am I spouting out complete nonsense while thinking that it's logic?

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, you're not alone. I feel the same way. Chrom is the more likely character, there's no doubt about that. A lot of people go so far to claim he's a lock... That seriously annoys me...

But I think Robin isn't given enough credit. I think there is a legitimate possibility that Robin could appear in the game. Not necessarily a huge one, but it's there. After all, Robin is one of the two main characters of Awakening, Chrom being the other. It's a rather interesting situation where there are actually two characters of equal importance that could be added to represent their game. The issue, of course, is that Robin is an avatar (though to be fair, he/she isn't a true avatar character, considering the character has preset characteristics such as personality and history). This in itself is not necessarily an issue though, due to the Villager also being an avatar character, and a much more customizable one at that. If something like Villager can get in, then Robin should be less of an issue. The main problem with being an avatar in Robin's case is that there is another main character who is not customizable, and as a result is the more marketed. That, of course, is Chrom. Naturally, since Chrom is the face of Awakening, and the most popular character from it as well, it seems, he's the most likely character to appear in Smash. However, Robin's saving grace is the apparent emphasis placed on uniqueness this time around. With every newcomer thus far bringing something brand new to the table, and the appearance of Rosalina, an unlikely Mario rep who introduces an entirely new playstyle, it would seem that uniqueness is an important factor for getting into the roster. This is where Robin wins out. Whereas Chrom's natural, signature abilities are the same ones already used by Marth and Ike, Robin's capabilities as one who can alternate between the use of swords and magic stand out as something unique that could be easily translated into the Smash environment. Like Rosalina, he/she may not be the most obvious choice, but what he/she can bring to the table is significantly more than what his/her biggest competition can offer.

It all depends on what Sakurai wants, I suppose. If having the most recognizable and marketed character from Awakening is what's most important, he'll go for Chrom. However, if he wants something that could offer something entirely new to the cast of Fire Emblem characters, and to all of the Smash roster, while still promoting Awakening, he'll go for Robin. Only time will tell at this point.

On that note, what do you all think of Robin's chances? Do they exist? Is he perhaps more likely than we give him/her credit for? Am I spouting out complete nonsense while thinking that it's logic?
I don't think Chrom is really a main character as much as Robin is. I mean he takes a back seat and plays second banana after Chapter 13, focusing the rest of the game on Robin. This gives her more chapters central to her and her development. I still think of Chrom as the decoy protagonist, but he is the more marketed one. In my opinion, this is the sole reason he is going to appear in my opinion as it would be more difficult to make a unique set for him.

I definitely think he is more likely than some would give him credit for, seeing as how uniqueness is a lot more favored this time around. They very much exist in my eyes.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I think for FE characters, it's 50/40/9/1 in terms of likelihood. Chrom is 50, Robin 40, Lucina 9 and "other" (most likely Anna) is 1.

A lot of people underestimate Robin, but if we take what Sakurai says (uniqueness is what's most important) at face value Robin is actually very likely. Of course, IS and Nintendo higher-ups also have a lot of pull on who gets represented for Fire Emblem, which unfortunately helps Chrom's case.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
This would limit their moveset potential, but I believe the best bet would to have Chrom and Robin as a pair, considering how unlikely it'd be for them to be separate units. That would kill two birds with one stone, but still...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think for FE characters, it's 50/40/9/1 in terms of likelihood. Chrom is 50, Robin 40, Lucina 9 and "other" (most likely Anna) is 1.

A lot of people underestimate Robin, but if we take what Sakurai says (uniqueness is what's most important) at face value Robin is actually very likely. Of course, IS and Nintendo higher-ups also have a lot of pull on who gets represented for Fire Emblem, which unfortunately helps Chrom's case.
I would hope that uniqueness isn't the most important thing for getting into the roster. Otherwise we'd start seeing characters that have no real significance as Nintendo characters, but are "unique." In Robin's case though, since he/she and Chrom are about equal as main characters, Robin's uniqueness gives him/her an edge that might just win Sakurai over.

Also, what's that the OP says about the director of Awakening favoring Robin as a character? If that's true, and if he has any say in the matter, it's quite possible he'll recommend Robin.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I would hope that uniqueness isn't the most important thing for getting into the roster. Otherwise we'd start seeing characters that have no real significance as Nintendo characters, but are "unique." In Robin's case though, since he/she and Chrom are about equal as main characters, Robin's uniqueness gives him/her an edge that might just win Sakurai over.

Also, what's that the OP says about the director of Awakening favoring Robin as a character? If that's true, and if he has any say in the matter, it's quite possible he'll recommend Robin.
No, uniqueness is mostly likely not the most important thing, but it still appears to be a factor. Like you said, characters shouldn't be added willy nilly because they allow a unique set. We don't want stuff like random enemies becoming playable characters or someone like Ricken to playable, since he could be unique with magic. In the grand scheme of thing, relevancy is important as well. We won't be receiving characters who are insignificant to the games or it would be littered with characters some people may have not even heard of.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I actually think uniqueness should be the most important thing, but not the only important thing. Popularity should certainly be a factor, as well as importance to either the franchise or Nintendo at large. But think about it, if uniqueness wasn't the most important factor, would we have ever seen G&W or Ice Climbers? Now in the case of Fire Emblem, let's take Robin vs. someone like Ricken. Both could be equally unique, but Robin would easily win out because of the secondary, but still important factors like popularity and importance. It's more of a mix between many different factors, really. Say, Chrom vs. Robin? Chrom's more popular, Robin's more important to franchise and story. Which I think should give Chrom a slight advantage honestly, but then uniqueness is factored in, and Robin clearly wins.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I actually think uniqueness should be the most important thing, but not the only important thing. Popularity should certainly be a factor, as well as importance to either the franchise or Nintendo at large. But think about it, if uniqueness wasn't the most important factor, would we have ever seen G&W or Ice Climbers? Now in the case of Fire Emblem, let's take Robin vs. someone like Ricken. Both could be equally unique, but Robin would easily win out because of the secondary, but still important factors like popularity and importance. It's more of a mix between many different factors, really. Say, Chrom vs. Robin? Chrom's more popular, Robin's more important to franchise and story. Which I think should give Chrom a slight advantage honestly, but then uniqueness is factored in, and Robin clearly wins.
I'm going to have to disagree with you about Mr. Game&Watch and the Ice Climbers. Uniqueness probably played a part in their inclusion, but I think the main reason for their inclusion was their historical significance to Nintendo. Which is as it should be, I think. This is a game for Nintendo All-Stars; just because a character can bring something new to the table, doesn't make them obligatory to add in. Uniqueness is a really good thing to have, but it shouldn't come before importance to a character's game/series/Nintendo as a whole.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
G&W and Ice Climbers were definitely important to Nintendo as a whole and most likely didn't get in solely based upon uniqueness...To say uniqueness is the most important thing is a little farfetched in my eyes. Seeing as how three of the five characters we received did have popularity on their side (Mac, MegaMan, and Villager*). The only ones included solely on their uniqueness were WFT and Rosa (who are pretty relevant to their series anyways). I think it is a mixture of the two, but I just don't see uniqueness being the biggest factor. What about someone such as Stahl, as unlikely as he is, or Panne? They are characters not central to the plot, but to me, would be a helluva lot more unique than Robin. Would they be picked over her? Of course not!

* I am not sure if Villager did have popularity, but I believe people wanted an AC rep. I could be wrong here.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Didn't Sakurai say something about ICs getting in over Excitebiker because of uniqueness potential?

Anyway, what I was trying to say, and sorry if I wasn't particularly clear on it, is that uniqueness should, in my opinion, be the most important of several factors, including popularity and historical significance. I totally agree that uniqueness shouldn't make an individual character obligatory, but neither should popularity, especially since this time around we've got most of the super-important characters as vets already. Think of Toad vs. Rosalina. Toad is much more popular and much more historically significant, but Rosalina got in first for (probably, I'm not on the dev team) uniqueness. She still did have popularity and significance to the franchise too, just not as much as Toad. Someone like Panne, on the other hand, does have plenty of uniqueness, but very little popularity and significance, and therefore shouldn't get in. Now, while Robin is less popular than Chrom, I think uniqueness should theoretically put her chances higher.

Anyway, all in all, it's pretty irrelevant what we think, since we're not on the team. :p

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Robin has a fair chance because I think future FE games will use Avatars, it just depends on how much IS has planned ahead and what they suggested to Sakurai.Ultimately, he has final say, but he does ask for character ideas for the bigger games series.

Also, the excite biker thing was a joke.

Top Bottom