• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

lami

Smash Journeyman
Joining the Robin support. She/he's the one character I want above all else. The movesets you guys are coming up with are dang cool. You could say it's Robin's... (Id) Purpose... to join Smash... Tip the Scales!

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I thought Little Mac was hugely popular. I agree with the rest of the points though.

Speaking of alternate genders, which one do you think will be default? WFT went with the female version, for example.
Yeah. Perhaps "niche" isn't the best word. He just isn't very popular in Japan, so he showed a character doesn't have to be widely popular.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why do so many people not expect Robin?
Well, Chrom is just a fairly likely character, really. I mean, I think it's alright that many people don't expect Robin. I don't even really expect Robin, myself. But I do think people severely underrate Robin's chances. Seeing so many people give Robin a chance score of ten or lower is really quite sad, I think. And a lot of it is for reasons that can be proven wrong, actually. I did just make a rather big post about Robin in the RTC thread, which I think addresses most of the reasons people use to rule out Robin as a possibility, for any of you who'd like to check that out. I do think that if people really stopped to look at the "issues" Robin has as a character choice, they may realize that some of those "issues" aren't really such big problems after all (I'm surprised people are still using the customizable appearance argument. Villager entirely disproves that.).

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Well guys, I want to hear your opinion about Robin's chance based on Greninja's inclusion. Robin is somewhat comparable to Greninja, released in a game after the roster was finalized. If the Pokemon Company bet on Greninja's popularity while creating the roster, do you think that the same could happen with IS betting on Robin's popularity ?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well guys, I want to hear your opinion about Robin's chance based on Greninja's inclusion. Robin is somewhat comparable to Greninja, released in a game after the roster was finalized. If the Pokemon Company bet on Greninja's popularity while creating the roster, do you think that the same could happen with IS betting on Robin's popularity ?
Well, I do think they are somewhat comparable, though I don't think it's for the reasons you described. I mean, Robin was actually known to the general public before the games came out, unlike Greninja. Their main similarity is that neither one is really the "face" of their respective games. One common argument for Chrom and against Robin is that Chrom is the face of Awakening, and thus promotes it better. There are two things that I think are wrong with this line of thinking. One is that any character from Fire Emblem Awakening would promote it just as well as Chrom. Just because Chrom was advertised more in the past, doesn't mean that people will be more interested in Awakening because of Chrom's presence on the roster over any other. As long as the character is from Awakening, and can make players who are unfamiliar with Awakening think "hey, that character is pretty cool, I want to check out their game," then any character from the game can promote it just as well in Smash. The second issue with this logic is Greninja, who, of course, was not at all the face of X and Y. If that was all that mattered, we wouldn't have gotten Greninja on the roster, I think. Theoretically, this would be further evidence in Robin's favor if Mewtwo is not in the game while Greninja is (as painful as it is for me to say that).

I think that's the majority of what we can infer from Greninja's inclusion.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Awakening came out two years ago (before SSB4 was officially announced). So, they aren't really same at all in that regard.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I can see both Chrom and Robin getting in with female Robin alternate costume for Robin and Lucina alternate costume for Chrom, there everyone is happy

Hong

The Strongest
I can't answer that question directly, but I still have thoughts that may be relevant.

If Sakurai-san chooses characters like he did in Brawl, then Robin has no chance. There was little thought behind Ike's inclusion. He barely knew who the character was. A decent chunk of the cast had less than stellar design, and they tried too hard to get in too many characters.

But things are different this time. I think he is digging deeper and putting more thought into character selection. Of course Robin will be given a fair look. I mean, we actually got a specific stage this time. That says a lot! I also want to add that Awakening was not only one of the relatively more popular 3DS games, but unlike the Tellius games, they were portable. It is so much more likely that he has actually played the game. Regardless of who shows up, I think Awakening characters will be handled much more truthfully than Ike.

I also want to add that I do not think for a single moment that the director would pay any mind to the fact Robin is a customizable character when weighing whether or not she can be a viable fighter. He wants characters that are fun, different, and please the fans. Robin, like the Villager, can satisfy all three of those conditions.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I can't answer that question directly, but I still have thoughts that may be relevant.

If Sakurai-san chooses characters like he did in Brawl, then Robin has no chance. There was little thought behind Ike's inclusion. He barely knew who the character was. A decent chunk of the cast had less than stellar design, and they tried too hard to get in too many characters.

But things are different this time. I think he is digging deeper and putting more thought into character selection. Of course Robin will be given a fair look. I mean, we actually got a specific stage this time. That says a lot! I also want to add that Awakening was not only one of the relatively more popular 3DS games, but unlike the Tellius games, they were portable. It is so much more likely that he has actually played the game. Regardless of who shows up, I think Awakening characters will be handled much more truthfully than Ike.

I also want to add that I do not think for a single moment that the director would pay any mind to the fact Robin is a customizable character when weighing whether or not she can be a viable fighter. He wants characters that are fun, different, and please the fans. Robin, like the Villager, can satisfy all three of those conditions.
Also ID purpose played with the Tiki trophy not any other theme

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Seeing as he / she is the only feasable choice for a FE magic unit, I'd be somewhat interessted in what he / she could bring. Though, I'd rather see the Tactican / My Unit as a fourth character for Fire Emblem, as I'm not keen on giving up Ike for him, and don't expect him before or without Chrom.
They aren't going to advertise an old game that is irrelevant now. Marth is different, he's the series mascot. The second slot is going to be for a newer character, either Robin or Chrom.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
They aren't going to advertise an old game that is irrelevant now. Marth is different, he's the series mascot. The second slot is going to be for a newer character, either Robin or Chrom.
If advertisement was all that mattered, we wouldn't see characters like Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Pit, or even characters like Ness. They aren't really promoting much, but they have significance to their respective series, and by that extent, Nintendo, that gives them a place on the roster. There's no reason to cut Ike just because he's not the latest character.

Hong

The Strongest
The message you quoted was from over a year ago, before the first trailer. The masses have become better educated since then.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
If the default look of Robin is used, I'd like to see Morgan's haircut (male/female) as an option for costumes, but then I just might be getting too greedy

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
If advertisement was all that mattered, we wouldn't see characters like Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Pit, or even characters like Ness. They aren't really promoting much, but they have significance to their respective series, and by that extent, Nintendo, that gives them a place on the roster. There's no reason to cut Ike just because he's not the latest character.
I know that advertisement isn't all that matters, I never said that it was all that mattered. Right now some of the series you just said are dead, but FE isn't. How I see it is that they will always put the mascot of their series(Marth) and then the character/s from the newest game. Although I would like to see a new Ice Climbers.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
The message you quoted was from over a year ago, before the first trailer. The masses have become better educated since then.
I just created this account yesterday and read the first page.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Gematsu QQ why leak the chrome QQ
Eh, I don't believe that leak myself. Mostly because I think Miis are unlikely at this point, and most of that leak (aside from Chorus Men) are just likely character additions. Plus, the "Pokemon from X and Y" was just too vague and could have applied to Mewtwo or any pokemon from that game. It just comes off as a general guess to explain whatever unpredictable character the Pokemon series would get.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
If the default look of Robin is used, I'd like to see Morgan's haircut (male/female) as an option for costumes, but then I just might be getting too greedy
I think that's a fairly reasonable request, really.

You got a character who for the most part does not really have a preset look. No matter what, they are going to have to render her in proper 3d, and I think it's reasonable to have each colour of Robin with a different hair style. If they are going to go through the work of adjusting the art assets, may as well have some fun.

Just the same, I would love to see a purple Robin themed around Katarina.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I think the male avatar should be shirtless with big abs and pecs for an alternate costume.

Hong

The Strongest
I think the male avatar should be shirtless with big abs and pecs for an alternate costume.
Someone picked Strength as their asset. ◔ᴗ◔

Also, anyone else notice how the Robin topic has a lot of almost-if-not-exclusive users? I suppose it's not much of a surprise. The people who love Robin seem very loyal to her appearance, while at the same time remaining realistic.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I will die if they put Chrom instead of Robin. I hate dem blue haired sword swinging lords!

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Eh, I don't believe that leak myself. Mostly because I think Miis are unlikely at this point, and most of that leak (aside from Chorus Men) are just likely character additions. Plus, the "Pokemon from X and Y" was just too vague and could have applied to Mewtwo or any pokemon from that game. It just comes off as a general guess to explain whatever unpredictable character the Pokemon series would get.
Agreed.

It's certainly not a good idea to get downtrodden over a leaker who has already been proven wrong... or any leak for that matter. I'd wait until Chrom is actually confirmed before I give up hope.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sakurai said he wanted to add characters that would bring new elements or fighting styles to the game. I think my chances of dying should be lowered.
Well, if Sakurai really wants to put Chrom in, I think he'll find a way to make him unique. Even though I myself can't think of a truly unique way of implementing Chrom that actually fits his character...

But, if Sakurai just wants to represent Awakening and wants an important character that can easily be made unique, Robin is the obvious choice.

I'd still say you have a 60% chance of dying. More than likely will happen, but there's still a good chance it won't.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Well, if Sakurai really wants to put Chrom in, I think he'll find a way to make him unique. Even though I myself can't think of a truly unique way of implementing Chrom that actually fits his character...

But, if Sakurai just wants to represent Awakening and wants an important character that can easily be made unique, Robin is the obvious choice.

I'd still say you have a 60% chance of dying. More than likely will happen, but there's still a good chance it won't. I personally think Robin has the greatest chance of being in the game
Make it 41%.

Morbi

Scavenger
I managed to convert my sister, a maniacal Chrom fangirl, to Robin. However, she is quite disappointed because she doesn't believe Robin is too likely. She wants her though. I honestly hope that we are correct, Smash would benefit much more from Robin.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I managed to convert my sister, a maniacal Chrom fangirl, to Robin. However, she is quite disappointed because she doesn't believe Robin is too likely. She wants her though. I honestly hope that we are correct, Smash would benefit much more from Robin.
I hope you'll be able to convert many more people to Robinism before the game comes out.

Top Bottom