• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
By the way, if Robin were to be revealed as a new character, what do you think his poster and reveal trailer would be like?

Seeing how Rosalina's poster is seemingly based off of Super Mario Galaxy's cover art, with Rosalina in the place of Mario and other Smash characters trailing behind her, I think it would be neat if Robin's was based off of the cover art for Fire Emblem Awakening. It would make for an easy poster, at least; just replace Chrom with Robin, replace Marth with... Marth, and have other Smash characters in the background. I guess that might be a little harsh on people who wanted Chrom though...

As for the reveal trailer, I don't have any ideas at the moment. What do you all think?
I like that poster concept; seems fairly likely to me. We would probably get that for any Awakening newcomer, though.

I think Hong or someone jokingly suggested that it be like when Robin regains consciousness at the beginning of the game, but instead of Chrom and Lissa over him it was some Smash Bros. characters. Which is silly, but I like it. I don't really have an idea.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I like that poster concept; seems fairly likely to me. We would probably get that for any Awakening newcomer, though.

I think Hong or someone jokingly suggested that it be like when Robin regains consciousness at the beginning of the game, but instead of Chrom and Lissa over him it was some Smash Bros. characters. Which is silly, but I like it. I don't really have an idea.
That's actually a really simple trailer, but I would kind of like it, honestly.

Hong

The Strongest
All jokes aside, how would we want Robin to be introduced?

I am a sappy and emotional tool, and I would love if they made a nod to Awakening in some form or another.

*video starts in darkness*
Pit: Marth... We have to do SOMETHING.
Marth: What do you propose we do?
Pit: I... I don't know!
*eyes open*
Marth: Ah, I see you are awake now.
Pit: Hey there.
Marth: There are better places to take a nap than on the ground, you know.
Give me your hand.
*extends hand and pulls up Robin*
Now grab your tome and fight.
*perspective turns around to show the rest of the cast, ready to battle the newcomer*

Of course if others are revealed like Ike before the trailer, they could replace either of the characters. I just chose characters who could speak.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
  • Imagines Robin in April. FEs anniversary...
  • Gets too excited...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If I were to make the promotional artwork for Robin, I would choose to have him/her at their studies, formulating strategies along with some other Smash characters against the enemy team (probably consisting of Bowser, Dedede, and maybe even a villain newcomer).

But, seeing as how almost all newcomers are being promoted along with their stage, I'm expecting Robin to be doing something cool on Arena Ferox.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
  • Imagines Robin in April. FEs anniversary...
  • Gets too excited...
So, you think it's possible that Robin (or a Fire Emblem newcomer in general) will be revealed in April?

Well, I guess if we see Ike revealed sometime soon, that will become quite a likely possibility.

Hong

The Strongest
But, seeing as how almost all newcomers are being promoted along with their stage, I'm expecting Robin to be doing something cool on Arena Ferox.
I think Robin's trailer will debut a new stage.

We know the Wii U and 3DS will have different stages, and I think it is a safe assumption that there will be a Fire Emblem stage for Wii U. Since the trailers are meant to be graphically impressive, I suspect they will want it to be on the stage that appears on the more impressive hardware.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
I think Robin's trailer will debut a new stage.

We know the Wii U and 3DS will have different stages, and I think it is a safe assumption that there will be a Fire Emblem stage for Wii U. Since the trailers are meant to be graphically impressive, I suspect they will want it to be on the stage that appears on the more impressive hardware.
True, very true, but what stage would it be? Another Awakening stage, something from Radiant Dawn? Or another Castle Siege type stage?

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Do Hong's trailer reveal idea with him waking up, but kick Pit out for Ike.

FE Vet + FE Newcomer release in April plz plz plz
Ike could wake Robin up by slapping him/her awake repeatedly. That seems like something ol'Ikie would do. lol

Hong

The Strongest
True, very true, but what stage would it be? Another Awakening stage, something from Radiant Dawn? Or another Castle Siege type stage?
I am sticking to my guns on the Outrealm. A stage that shifts into various moments throughout Fire Emblem's history, each with its own platform layout.

Like Castle Siege, only more relevant and actual.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
IIRC Sakurai said they wanted the 3DS game to have more stages from handheld titles and the WiiU game more from console games. So I'd assume that if they don't just take something else from Awakening for relevancy's sake, they'll go with something from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn.

If they want to do something flashy they could take the Grima stage and let it fly over several of the places visited in Awakening.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I've been a supporter of Robin for the longest of times, and I've been on Smashboards for quite a while too, and I'm surprised I never asked to be added to the supporters. Well, there's a beginning to everything, so may I be placed in the supporters group please. :grin:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I've been a supporter of Robin for the longest of times, and I've been on Smashboards for quite a while too, and I'm surprised I never asked to be added to the supporters. Well, there's a beginning to everything, so may I be placed in the supporters group please. :grin:
Ditto support part

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Not gonna happen. Too customizable... Although, that Animal Crossing Villager...

Hong

The Strongest
Not gonna happen. Too customizable... Although, that Animal Crossing Villager...
So why would you even start?

Villager has an even more open ended-story, scarcely a default look, and really no pre-defined story aside from moving into a town with animals.

Robin has a preset story, preset personality and something you can honestly call a default look. You can make some adjustments to the character's head and get a different set of supports based on the gender you choose, but aside from that Robin is a rather defined character.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Robin's class is also very customizable though, with only gender-based classes restricting you in any way. That aside, Robin isn't much of an Avatar. I never really found myself identifying with her too much.

Would love daughter like Lucina, though. (Right, customizable spouse as well. Stops there, I think.)

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
So why would you even start?

Villager has an even more open ended-story, scarcely a default look, and really no pre-defined story aside from moving into a town with animals.

Robin has a preset story, preset personality and something you can honestly call a default look. You can make some adjustments to the character's head and get a different set of supports based on the gender you choose, but aside from that Robin is a rather defined character.
Your point is indeed valiad, but Robin is so much more customizable.
Villager
  1. Gender
  2. Hair
  3. Eyes
  4. Nose
  5. Clothes
Robin
  1. Gender
  2. Hair
  3. Hair color
  4. Voice
  5. Eyes
  6. Mouth
  7. Skin tone
  8. Weapons
  9. Stats

I feel like Robin can become a completely different character depending on how you customize, while Villager's options are limited, and wouldn't affect gameplay.

Hong

The Strongest
Villager
  1. Gender
  2. Hair
  3. Eyes
  4. Nose
  5. Clothes
Robin
  1. Gender
  2. Hair
  3. Hair color
  4. Voice
  5. Eyes
  6. Mouth
  7. Skin tone
  8. Weapons
  9. Stats

I feel like Robin can become a completely different character depending on how you customize, while Villager's options are limited, and wouldn't affect gameplay.
Tools are not part of character customization. If we were including tools, Villager would actually have a far more diverse set of tools.

And no, you can't pick Robin's skin tone, but you can change Villagers.

You can't list every feature of the face and pretend you can individually pick and choose each item. Otherwise, I will also note how you can pick from thousands of hats, glasses, shoes and socks for the villager, and an infinite number of clothes.

You are terrible at making arguments and you should feel ashamed of yourself.

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Tools are not part of character customization. If we were including tools, Villager would actually have a far more diverse set of tools.

And no, you can't pick Robin's skin tone, but you can change Villagers.

You can't list every feature of the face and pretend you can individually pick and choose each item. Otherwise, I will also note how you can pick from thousands of hats, glasses, shoes and socks for the villager, and an infinite number of clothes.

You are terrible at making arguments and you should feel ashamed of yourself.
Pardon my clumsy ness... Weapon --> can use magic and swords, which could be in the moveset.
It's been a while since I last beat(or tried to beat) Lunatic Plus, and was unsure about skin tone. (Can you really not do that?)
You mentioned hats, glasses, shoes, etc.. All part of article 5. Clothes.
And you can chose each facial detail in both games, if I am not mistaken.
I will pardon your insult, but perhaps the best discussions are the ones spoken with genial words.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Villager
  1. Gender
  2. Hair
  3. Eyes
  4. Nose
  5. Clothes
Robin
  1. Gender
  2. Hair
  3. Hair color
  4. Voice
  5. Eyes
  6. Mouth
  7. Skin tone
  8. Weapons
  9. Stats

Sorry to say, but this is flat out inaccurate. You're favoring the Villager here. Here's what it really should be:

Villager

1. Gender
2. Hair
3. Hair Color
4. Eyes
5. Nose
6. Hat
7. Shirt
8. Pants
9. Shoes
10. Skin Tone
11. Tools

Robin

1. Gender
2. Hair
3. Hair Color
4. Eyes
5. Mouth
6. Weapons
7. Body

Not counting Stats in here because... well, frankly that would't be at all translated into Smash.

As you can see, you were being quite selective with your information, and said things that, as pointed out, are flat out false. I think it's also worth noting how much each individual thing counts as a whole. For example, details like eyes, mouth, and nose are minuscule details that don't greatly change the appearance of the character. Clothes, on the other hand, which you put under just one point, count for a whole lot. One of the biggest parts of Animal Crossing is dressing up your character as you please, with a ton of options available in almost every catagory to make your character unique. You can even make your own clothes, if you like. Robin has a preset outfit, the same for both genders, no less. And unlike the Villager, whose appearance is pretty much random at the start of the game, Robin starts off with a standard appearance right from the start. And frankly, his options for customization are pretty limited. Most everyones avatar in that game looked pretty similar for the most part, while the sheer diversity of options for Villagers makes each one unique.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Sorry to say, but this is flat out inaccurate. You're favoring the Villager here. Here's what it really should be:

Villager

1. Gender
2. Hair
3. Hair Color
4. Eyes
5. Nose
6. Hat
7. Shirt
8. Pants
9. Shoes
10. Skin Tone
11. Tools

Robin

1. Gender
2. Hair
3. Hair Color
4. Eyes
5. Mouth
6. Weapons
7. Body

Not counting Stats in here because... well, frankly that would't be at all translated into Smash.

As you can see, you were being quite selective with your information, and said things that, as pointed out, are flat out false. I think it's also worth noting how much each individual thing counts as a whole. For example, details like eyes, mouth, and nose are minuscule details that don't greatly change the appearance of the character. Clothes, on the other hand, which you put under just one point, count for a whole lot. One of the biggest parts of Animal Crossing is dressing up your character as you please, with a ton of options available in almost every catagory to make your character unique. You can even make your own clothes, if you like. Robin has a preset outfit, the same for both genders, no less. And unlike the Villager, whose appearance is pretty much random at the start of the game, Robin starts off with a standard appearance right from the start. And frankly, his options for customization are pretty limited. Most everyones avatar in that game looked pretty similar for the most part, while the sheer diversity of options for Villagers makes each one unique.
Thanks for the critique, Hong pointed out skin tone was inaccurate, which was a mistake on my part, but the custom of the Villager counts as a whole, not divided into shirt, pants, etc...(in my opinion)

And you left out voice for Robin. I believe that is on there.
Regardles of all of this, lets return to the topic.

I'm saying Robin will not appear, because, in my opinion, he is too customizable, and his customizable options play a big part in the game, more so than the Villager. Also, never in a thousand years would I think the Villager would make it, for the same reason. Customizing.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Thanks for the critique, Hong pointed out skin tone was inaccurate, which was a mistake on my part, but the custom of the Villager counts as a whole, not divided into shirt, pants, etc...(in my opinion)

And you left out voice for Robin. I believe that is on there.
Regardles of all of this, lets return to the topic.

I'm saying Robin will not appear, because, in my opinion, he is too customizable, and his customizable options play a big part in the game, more so than the Villager. Also, never in a thousand years would I think the Villager would make it, for the same reason. Customizing.
I would highly disagree with that. Animal Crossing is a life simulation game; those kinds of games are built on customization. Honestly, if you took out any customizability out of Animal Crossing, what would you have left? Basically, a game where you run around trying to pay off a debt to a house you can't actually do anything with. If you took out Robin's customizability, what would you have left in Fire Emblem Awakening? You'd still have the same strategic game, just with one character who you could customize now being preset. The only real thing you'd be missing out on is the ability to choose Robin's specialty stat, but that's about it. How he looks has pretty much nothing to do with the rest of the game, or really his character, for that matter. Animal Crossing has customization as the heart of it's gameplay, and the Villager reflects that. Frankly, I can't see how you can claim that Robin's customization is a bigger part of his game compared to the Villager and his game.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I would highly disagree with that. Animal Crossing is a life simulation game; those kinds of games are built on customization. Honestly, if you took out any customizability out of Animal Crossing, what would you have left? Basically, a game where you run around trying to pay off a debt to a house you can't actually do anything with. If you took out Robin's customizability, what would you have left in Fire Emblem Awakening? You'd still have the same strategic game, just with one character who you could customize now being preset. The only real thing you'd be missing out on is the ability to choose Robin's specialty stat, but that's about it. How he looks has pretty much nothing to do with the rest of the game, or really his character, for that matter. Animal Crossing has customization as the heart of it's gameplay, and the Villager reflects that. Frankly, I can't see how you can claim that Robin's customization is a bigger part of his game compared to the Villager and his game.
I was refering to CHARACTER customization, that would affect SSB 4. The games themselves, (AC vs FE) than your point i definately more than valiad and I agree. But not in character customization.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I was refering to CHARACTER customization, that would affect SSB 4. The games themselves, (AC vs FE) than your point i definately more than valiad and I agree. But not in character customization.
I'm afraid I still don't see it that way. Animal Crossing's character customization options are far more vast than those of Awakenings, and more important to the game overall. If Villager could get in, there's no reason Robin can't.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The point still applies. The character is part of that customization. Without it, you'd lose a lot of what Animal Crossing is about.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
The point still applies. The character is part of that customization. Without it, you'd lose a lot of what Animal Crossing is about.
Yes, the character applies to that, but I'm focusing on SSB 4, where only character customization applies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, the character applies to that, but I'm focusing on SSB 4, where only character customization applies.
Which is why the fact that Robin has limited customization compared to the Villager is an important detail.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Also, never in a thousand years would I think the Villager would make it, for the same reason. Customizing.
Well, with all due respect, you were wrong on that. So clearly, you'll need a new argument other than customization, because Nintendo doesn't seem to consider it an issue.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Yes, indeed you are correct.

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Robin has a hooded appearance that has been used multiple times to represent any and every customization. IS used it. Sakurai would use it too IF he deems the contradiction between the default appearance and individual player's customizations a problem in the first place.

I know I'm late but I wanted to throw in my view.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You did not see it, because you are not seeing the game through the vision of the creator.

Every character has many reasons why they are chosen, but all of them have at least one reason in common.

Whether it's someone off the wall like Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B., or a flagship character like Link and Mario, all characters are chosen because what they can offer something to the experience. Gameplay comes first in Smash Bros, and melding it to a character personality is the second step. Gameplay is what separates trophies from playable characters.

It would be absolutely ridiculous not to implement the Villager if the character is important to Nintendo's legacy, the character is popular, and the character has exceptional gameplay potential, just because they can be customized. It is outright illogical. Why not? No one is going to lose their customized version of the character, and it certainly wouldn't feel like an unfair representation of the IP. It's a fighting game. We want a varied cast of options that fulfill as many playing styles as possible first and foremost. The fact that this is Smash Bros existing IPs are utilized, and will often take second seat after making choices that are diverse. Otherwise, characters like the Ice Climbers would never see the light of day.

I can't say Robin is popular, but certainly has strong merit within her series. The gameplay potential for the character far exceeds a greater half of the Fire Emblem protagonists, who either fill the Myrmidon or Mercenary archetypes in physique and style.

There is no way to word this without it sounding personal, but much like with your gender argument in the general Fire Emblem topic, I can't help but feel you have a hard time seeing past your very specific views and preferences. You personally think the customization of the character is important. It's a feature that many people like, sure, but the series has done just fine without it. As a story-biased gamer, the most important part about Robin to me is her involvement in the story. Which I might add is a feeling backed up quite nicely by the fact Robin runs the plot from chapter 10 until late game, and is literally a walking plot device, being more important than the titular Fire Emblem itself. I should also mention that you have absolutely no control over any of this and her story is set in stone.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I can't say Robin is popular, but certainly has strong merit within her series. The gameplay potential for the character far exceeds a greater half of the Fire Emblem protagonists, who either fill the Myrmidon or Mercenary archetypes in physique and style.
Robin's actually pretty popular amongst Awakening characters as a whole, just a little bit behind Chrom and Lucina. Not a huge thing, but he's certainly liked among Awakening fans.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Aside from all the well made arguments how visual customization wouldn't be an issue...
Customizability in abilities is - in actuality - even a plus point for a fighting game character as it opens up more possibilities for attacks. In Robin's case you could have him/her use a different weapon for every move and I would argue that this actually represents the character better than if you just went for the Sword/Magic combo that he/she can use in the Tactician and Grand Master classes.
I'd almost bet that's the reason why the villager is in: He has a vast array of wackey tools to pummel other people with. Kirby, Mega Man and Mario have similiar situations going on and I'm actually kinda wondering why they didn't give Toon Link a vastly different set of items compared to adult Link aside from the fact that Bow/Boomerang/Bombs are all LoZ staples and time constraints (after all the Toon Link concept started as the young Link "clone" character).

Smash Bros isn't the only fighting game series utilizing this. Firion, Onion Knight, Bartz and even Cecil who couldn't switch freely between classes in his game all have abilities build around this in Dissidia: Final Fantasy and I'm pretty damn sure there's other examples of this in the X vs. Capcom and other crossover series.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, with that customization argument out of the way, how would you all react if Robin was, in fact, confirmed for the game? I know we've talked about what it would be like if Chrom got in instead, but I don't recall us talking about a best case scenario reaction.

Hong

The Strongest
For me, to simply have Robin in the game is largely inconsequential.

I have thought about Ike in Smash Bros since the moment I picked up the Japanese version of Path of Radiance. I never just jump the gun and ask for characters I like to appear in Smash Bros, but my companions talked me into considering him as a good inclusion.

And when he was finally revealed, and I finally got to see him in action, I was gravely disappointed.

Ike in Brawl was so poorly designed in many ways, and I wouldn't have had to seen the developer interviews to know the director scarcely knew about the character. If you look at Project M, they made only a single big change, but lots of fine-tuning, and delivered what Ike should have been. He's strong, but far from sluggish. You are 100% welcome to modify characters so that they fit archetypes within the roster, but what Sora did with Ike in Brawl does not fit the character and it does not hold up at ALL as players improve.

So in short, I don't care about Robin being included. I want Robin to be included, and I want them to do it right. My criteria:

Robin must be fun.
Robin must be true to her character.
Robin must be unique.
Robin must be balanced, though for this we'll need to actually play the game to know.

If I see Robin revealed and the first three criteria are not met, then I rather have had them put the development time into fine-tuning the game, because Brawl was an embarrassment.

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
So, with that customization argument out of the way, how would you all react if Robin was, in fact, confirmed for the game? I know we've talked about what it would be like if Chrom got in instead, but I don't recall us talking about a best case scenario reaction.
If I found out at night, everyone in my house would be awakened (no pun intended) by my screams of joy. Then I'd spend the next 10 minutes being a complete fanboy. And then finally, I would come here and continue to obsess over it.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People would oddly hate it I'm sure.

Because you know, apparently the likes of Waluigi and Skull Kid being put on a high pedestal is a wonderful prospective towards how people want characters.

Top Bottom