• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Graydient

Smash Cadet
Making these type of characters is very easy to mess up, even for professionals.
Wario comes to mind. Good thing PM exists.

I'm just so squeamish over any type of duo, due to the failed attempts at doing it with Ice Climbers.
The only pair I'd probably be happy with is Robin/Morgan, and mainly because Morgan has a childlike appearance, unlike all the other children who are essentially adolescents. Having Chrom and/or Lucina paired up seems weird to me, since I'd like to think of them as standing equal to Marth. (the whole godlike Hero-King status Marth has is mainly due to the fact that he took credit for FE12 My Unit's deeds, hence the "Hero of Shadow").

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'd rather not see another tag team where both members do the same thing, like the Ice Climbers. A Robin/Morgan or Chrom/Lucina duo would feel redundant. Unless Chrom wielded swords and Lucina wielded lances, but then that's dumb. I'd also rather Robin responsible for magic and Morgan responsible for swords (or vice versa), but that still seems dumb.
I think if they're going to do a tag team at all, Chrom/Robin makes the most sense. But if you're going to do a tag team at all, you might as well make a stance change character since it would be slightly less work and wouldn't encroach on IC territory.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Possibly a different way of doing a paired up character is adding a tag out system. Character A gets to character B and presses down B to tag out and swap. Or something at least similar to this.

Hong

The Strongest
I have done a number of movesets with Chrom and Lucina. They would be a team far unlike the others. They share a health amount, but the way they fight together is different.

Ice Climbers scarcely actually function as a team, so much as one character mimics the other. They are interchangeable
Zelda and Sheik are two characters who have absolutely 0 synergy and no reason to be paired.
Pokemon Trainer isn't a team. It is just a step further into mediocrity from where Zelda and Sheik left off. Instead of rewarding you for actively using all the Pokemon, you are needlessly penalized if you don't.
Olimar is an ammunition based character.
Rosalina falls under the puppet-fighter archetypes. We'll see how she pans out.

None of these teams really call in assists like you would in a fighter, and I think there is a lot of untapped potential.

In my movesets, the supporting character would be in the background, and all of the Specials rely on the supporting character. For example:

B: Swap
Switch Chrom or Lucina. Can be done mid-attack, allowing the supporting character to continue a combo string.

B Forward: Dual Strike
Supporting character jumps in to attack. Lucina does a multi-hitting stab, good for combo setups. Chrom does a leaping slash, good for ending combos. This move has no animation for the active character, so it doesn't interrupt your offence.

B Down: Dual Guard
Active character blocks the attack, and the supporting character jumps in to attack while the opponent is off-balance, taking the role of the active character.

B Up: Aether
The active character throws Falchion up and exits to the background. The other character plants their Falchion into the ground, jumps in to catch the airborne Falchion and brings it down.

And so on. I have made more than one moveset for both Chrom and Lucina, and I can continue to do so. It is silly to assume they would have to fight the same way, because there are still myriads of fighting styles left to be explored. The fact they both use the same sword enhances their potential.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
So...Pokemon Trainer Robin?
No.
The initial idea was. either character waits on the side, out of play. In order to switch out you must be in that specific spot to tag out. Instantaneous switch but it cannot be done anywhere.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
@ Hong Hong
Your idea makes more sense for a Lucina/Chrom duo. My idea was (it's one of the latest posts in the Chrom/Robin duo topic) Dual Guard/Strike as the down special (which did all three functions: switching, guarding and continuing combos). Thus it freed up three special slots, which is why I thought Lucina and Chrom would be redundant as I can't see them having highly different special sets. I can see them with different fighting styles otherwise. Your idea makes me hate that idea less, at least.

D

Deleted member

I have done a number of movesets with Chrom and Lucina. They would be a team far unlike the others. They share a health amount, but the way they fight together is different.

Ice Climbers scarcely actually function as a team, so much as one character mimics the other. They are interchangeable
Zelda and Sheik are two characters who have absolutely 0 synergy and no reason to be paired.
Pokemon Trainer isn't a team. It is just a step further into mediocrity from where Zelda and Sheik left off. Instead of rewarding you for actively using all the Pokemon, you are needlessly penalized if you don't.
Olimar is an ammunition based character.
Rosalina falls under the puppet-fighter archetypes. We'll see how she pans out.

None of these teams really call in assists like you would in a fighter, and I think there is a lot of untapped potential.

In my movesets, the supporting character would be in the background, and all of the Specials rely on the supporting character. For example:

B: Swap
Switch Chrom or Lucina. Can be done mid-attack, allowing the supporting character to continue a combo string.

B Forward: Dual Strike
Supporting character jumps in to attack. Lucina does a multi-hitting stab, good for combo setups. Chrom does a leaping slash, good for ending combos. This move has no animation for the active character, so it doesn't interrupt your offence.

B Down: Dual Guard
Active character blocks the attack, and the supporting character jumps in to attack while the opponent is off-balance, taking the role of the active character.

B Up: Aether
The active character throws Falchion up and exits to the background. The other character plants their Falchion into the ground, jumps in to catch the airborne Falchion and brings it down.

And so on. I have made more than one moveset for both Chrom and Lucina, and I can continue to do so. It is silly to assume they would have to fight the same way, because there are still myriads of fighting styles left to be explored. The fact they both use the same sword enhances their potential.
But if standard B is for swapping, how would Kirby's copy ability work ?

Hong

The Strongest
But if standard B is for swapping, how would Kirby's copy ability work ?
It would be remixed, like with Olimar and possibly the impending Rosalina.

Kirby would copy Dual Strike, and a copy of himself would jump in to attack. Kirby has certainly made copies of himself in the past, so I hope it's not too hard to believe. :b

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, does the reveal of Waluigi's Assist Trophy status have any impact whatsoever on our Tactician? I'm thinking no, but does anyone think otherwise?

Hong

The Strongest
Err... Why are we talking about Chrom/Lucina's tag team here?
To vouch for its viability over Chrom/Robin, or any of the three characters solo. They all hold stakes over one another.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Err... Why are we talking about Chrom/Lucina's tag team here?
I believe it has something to do with how they could make the characters unique...

But then we already have a separate thread for that...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, does the reveal of Waluigi's Assist Trophy status have any impact whatsoever on our Tactician? I'm thinking no, but does anyone think otherwise?
I fail to see any relation between their chances.

I haven't been active in this thread at all, as I haven't played Awakening due to not owning a 3DS, but should he include some moves from other Tacticians in the series, like Soren (Wind Magic?) and MU from FE12?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I haven't been active in this thread at all, as I haven't played Awakening due to not owning a 3DS, but should he include some moves from other Tacticians in the series, like Soren (Wind Magic?) and MU from FE12?
I'm not sure if Robin would copy moves directly from other tacticians, but as Robin is pretty much the most diverse character in the game, he can pretty much pull off anything they want him to. He's actually naturally capable of using Wind Magic right from the start, so it's very likely it (along with the other types of magic) would be incorporated into his moveset.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I fail to see any relation between their chances.

Robin can use Wind Magic. As far as I know, FE12 MU was a choice between a few classes. Robin can technically be any class. So he could show anything, really.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I would love Robin as a playable character in Smash 4.
As for the looks, I think since WiiFit trainer will have both male and female skins (and presumably also voices) there shouldn't be any problems to include both options for Robin, too. I'd go for the "default" white haired look as the base model, but I don't see a good reason why they couldn't also have a skin for both male and female with the cloak down for those people who don't feel "their" Robin to be represented by those.
Speaking of Skins (with their own voicesets) I also think that both Chrom and Lucina should be seperate skins for Ike and Marth respectively. It might disappoint some people but they are close enough that it would probably make most people happy that way.

As for the playstyle I would prefer one where Robin wields Tomes and Swords for most attacks but also has a few different weapons up his/her sleeve as well. It would both represent the Class change mechanic as well as Robin being a tactician, having prepared for most situations.

I'm also not too sure if the Grima awakening would make a good Final Smash for him/her. It wouldn't be unfitting, but decidedly... evil. I'd rather see one where a few different characters from Awakening (or even all the FE games) come in and help attacking - one after another if the frame rate is an issue otherwise. That way we'd even have something that shows the team up mechanic from the game.

As for the character in general having a tag team mechanic - it could work. But I think it would kinda diminish both characters with them having to share a spotlight. I'm also not a big fan of the other tag team characters in Smash Bros, except for maybe Pokémon Trainer, though I'd also like an option to play as only one of them since always switching to your favorite is clunky and leaves you open for an attack.

BTW: I saw a pretty damn neat GBA-style Robin sprite somewhere down the thread (kudos, jaytalks!). Does anybody know if there's a decent animated/spritesheet version of something like that out there?

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Speaking of Skins (with their own voicesets) I also think that both Chrom and Lucina should be seperate skins for Ike and Marth respectively. It might disappoint some people but they are close enough that it would probably make most people happy that way.
I wouldn't want a Chrom alternate skin for Ike. Although they fight similarly, they're too different aesthetically. It's also a bit of an insult to Chrom. He's his whole own person, and to reduce him to an alternate skin for Ike just seems... Belittling, I guess. However, I would like to see an alternate skin for Marth where he's wearing Lucina's mask. It would be a nice little nod without overtaking the character herself.
I think alternate skins should be reserved for different versions of the same character, like in male/female Robin's case or Warioland/Ware Wario.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
Banking on Robin, I honestly see Chrom and/or Lucina getting the AT treatment.

Hong

The Strongest
They or the Sacred Twins would make for an awesome AT summon.

Hong

The Strongest
Chrom being an AT is about as equal of having Palutena as an AT, which feels like an insanely bad decision. ;-;
I detest the notion that people will only accept characters in the form they want them in.

Elincia is my favourite Fire Emblem character and I was ecstatic to even see her as a trophy.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I still think Tiki would be the coolest AT, but I could very well see Chrom or Lucina making it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom being an AT is about as equal of having Palutena as an AT, which feels like an insanely bad decision. ;-;
Well, if Chrom isn't going to be playable anyway if Robin makes the cut instead, I don't see what's wrong with making him an Assist. It's the closest thing to being a playable character, at least.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wow, there are human beings actually thinking people will be fazed by the exclusion of Chrom.

Lucina as an Assist Trophy would cause more anger easily.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I wouldn't want a Chrom alternate skin for Ike. Although they fight similarly, they're too different aesthetically. It's also a bit of an insult to Chrom. He's his whole own person, and to reduce him to an alternate skin for Ike just seems... Belittling, I guess. However, I would like to see an alternate skin for Marth where he's wearing Lucina's mask. It would be a nice little nod without overtaking the character herself.
I think alternate skins should be reserved for different versions of the same character, like in male/female Robin's case or Warioland/Ware Wario.
Oh when I say skin I don't mean just a recolour. I actually hope those are pretty much gone except for team colours and maybe some characters where it makes sense (Dark Link/Dark Samus).
I imagine them basicly being like clone characters, just without a own character select slot or slightly changed moveset. It'd be the best way to not overinflate the roster and the work the development team has to do while still representing a larger variety of characters.
I agree it's not the perfect solution but it would be one I'm happy with. Though it's not all that likely since IIRC Sakurai said somewhere down the line that they want to cut back on clone characters especially to preserve the uniqueness of the individual.
TBH if they do realize another sword wielding FE lord I hope they'd at least do something unique with it like the Chrom/Lucina team up. Though as I stated before, I do firmly believe that in terms of having the best blend of uniqueness mixed with relevance and popularity they would have to go with Robin.

But who knows, with Namco helping on the game maybe they'll put in a Soul Calibur style character creation/Tekken style character customization mode.
I'm imagining something where you could put stuff like the Racoon Tail or Fludd on Mario (without any gameplay implications). This could also lead to a lot of options for characters that would have similiar playstyles to existing ones. Though the downside would be that it probably would still end up looking like Ike wearing a Chrom cosplay for example. I'd prefer a clone/skin with some unique animations and their own voicesets over that.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Here's an interesting bit of information. According to the preview in the GameInformer I got today, apparently Nintendo has said there are alternate costumes for certain characters. (Although I'm not sure how reliable that is.)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Here's an interesting bit of information. According to the preview in the GameInformer I got today, apparently Nintendo has said there are alternate costumes for certain characters. (Although I'm not sure how reliable that is.)
Oh yeah, that issue does mention that. That might just be an assumption based on the Wii Fit Trainer picture though (which they say is an alternate costume, though technically I think we have yet to officially confirm that). But regardless, the existence of that Male Wii Fit Trainer has already shown that their willing to make alternate costumes and even models for characters that need it. That's definitely a plus for Robin.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
I imagine them basicly being like clone characters, just without a own character select slot or slightly changed moveset. It'd be the best way to not overinflate the roster and the work the development team has to do while still representing a larger variety of characters.
I agree it's not the perfect solution but it would be one I'm happy with. Though it's not all that likely since IIRC Sakurai said somewhere down the line that they want to cut back on clone characters especially to preserve the uniqueness of the individual.
TBH if they do realize another sword wielding FE lord I hope they'd at least do something unique with it like the Chrom/Lucina team up. Though as I stated before, I do firmly believe that in terms of having the best blend of uniqueness mixed with relevance and popularity they would have to go with Robin.
I know it's been said like a million times before, but I have to disagree that alternate characters as skins would fly very well with people.

For example, I'm a huge Mega Man X fan. Niitsuma decided not to add classic Mega Man to UMvC3, so what did he do instead? Make X an alternate costume of Zero. For someone who's completely fine with BBA Mega Man in SFxT, Mega Man X as a costume was pretty insulting to me: if you're not going to add him as an original character, don't make him a skin of something he's not. X using Zero's moves and spouting Zero's lines in Zero's voice, it's essentially the AT slap-in-the-face treatment.

It's the same reason I'm not comfortable with Ridley as a playable character. I have nothing against Ridley (I do like him, just not as much as other people), but I feel the whole scaling thing would be a disservice to his character. Likewise, if we're going to have Chrom, he should at least have his own character slot. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

I would say making Chrom a skin would be pretty unprofessional for Sakurai, but we're talking about a guy who made Ganondorf do Falcon Punches for two games so far. So who am I to say...

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I know it's been said like a million times before, but I have to disagree that alternate characters as skins would fly very well with people.

For example, I'm a huge Mega Man X fan. Niitsuma decided not to add classic Mega Man to UMvC3, so what did he do instead? Make X an alternate costume of Zero. For someone who's completely fine with BBA Mega Man in SFxT, Mega Man X as a costume was pretty insulting to me: if you're not going to add him as an original character, don't make him a skin of something he's not. X using Zero's moves and spouting Zero's lines in Zero's voice, it's essentially the AT slap-in-the-face treatment.

It's the same reason I'm not comfortable with Ridley as a playable character. I have nothing against Ridley (I do like him, just not as much as other people), but I feel the whole scaling thing would be a disservice to his character. Likewise, if we're going to have Chrom, he should at least have his own character slot. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

I would say making Chrom a skin would be pretty unprofessional for Sakurai, but we're talking about a guy who made Ganondorf do Falcon Punches for two games so far. So who am I to say...
Yeah, Ganondorf is pretty much the prime example of how NOT to do a clone character (though - again I do agree that clone characters in general tend to feel lazy).

I can see where you are coming from - but I think I'd rather have the option than not being able to play the character at all. The X skin for Zero comparison isn't all that great either in this case since X and Zero have had differences in playstyle from as soon as Zero became playable and only drifted farther apart when he became a full fledged playable character.
In FE Awakening even the ingame characters state how similiar Chrom is to Ike. There's also another difference: In UMvC3 the characters are almost constantly talking or shouting their special ability names, in Brawl Ike had... 5 lines of proper dialogue? ("(GREAT) AETHIR!", "I fight for my friends.", "Prepare yourself!", "You're open!" and maybe something else I'm forgetting atm). It's neither stuff Chrom wouldn't say nor especially specific in general. Probably the thing I'd miss the most is Chrom's idle sword-stuck-in-the-ground-pose.

However I personally could also live without Chrom being playable and there seem to be quite a lot of people in the "make him his own character or leave him out of the roster entirely"-crowd, so unless Chrom will be in the game REPLACING Ike I feel like I'm in a good spot either way.

I just hope Robin will make it :D

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
What did it say, exactly?
Right, now that I'm awake here it is.

"As of now, it is believed that the announced roster of characters applies to both versions, but Nintendo has said there are alternate costumes for some characters, which again opens the door for unique offerings on handheld and console."

It does bring up an interesting question, if they do have alternate costumes, would they have different ones in the two versions?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
By the way, if Robin were to be revealed as a new character, what do you think his poster and reveal trailer would be like?

Seeing how Rosalina's poster is seemingly based off of Super Mario Galaxy's cover art, with Rosalina in the place of Mario and other Smash characters trailing behind her, I think it would be neat if Robin's was based off of the cover art for Fire Emblem Awakening. It would make for an easy poster, at least; just replace Chrom with Robin, replace Marth with... Marth, and have other Smash characters in the background. I guess that might be a little harsh on people who wanted Chrom though...

As for the reveal trailer, I don't have any ideas at the moment. What do you all think?

Top Bottom