• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Actually, I'd only half agree with that. Robin's popularity NOW is his popularity as a Smash candidate, which really only happened recently due to people thinking outside the box with who would make the best rep for Fire Emblem. Robin as a Fire Emblem character has always been quite popular, if that poll I posted a while ago is any indication.

I would think that this situation could be sort of similar to that of Tom Nook and the Villager of Animal Crossing. Tom Nook was usually the Animal Crossing character people expected, but instead we got the main character in a bit of a twist. Not many people thought of the Villager as an SSB4 candidate, yet he got in anyway, and it seems not too many people minded that it wasn't quite the Animal Crossing rep they were expecting.

Maybe something similar could happen with Robin?
I hope so!...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
By the way, has anyone else noticed that the Robin thread is noticeably more active than the Chrom thread?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's been active because people are slowly turning into supporting Robin and fading away from Chrom, solely for his uniqueness. Though uniqueness alone isn't enough for him to get in the main roster obviously.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It's been active because people are slowly turning into supporting Robin and fading away from Chrom, solely for his uniqueness. Though uniqueness alone isn't enough for him to get in the main roster obviously.
Right, being the main character of Awakening (Chrom loses the spotlight after C 11), representing a reoccurring idea of the series with tactics and avatars, and having solid popularity out of the Awakening cast will. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, does anyone else want to see Robin spawn miniature tornadoes akin to the ones from Hyrule Castle 64? Imagine spawning one as a trap, catching someone in the vortex and then fling them in the air. You can then use the opportunity to smash someone in with a powerful aerial attack.

In fact, I want Robin to be a strategic character in general. Like a character that relies more of brains instead of brawn, a character that more anticipates actions and then traps them into dangerous situations.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Even if Robin is less popular than Chrom, as an avatar-type people have more connections with him/her. Chrom may be the more popular character from Awakening, but avatars have a lasting appeal that shouldn't be overlooked. I think False Sense mentioned this in relation to the Villager V. Tom Nook, and it's a point that may be worth looking into.

I don't think Chrom not being important after Chapter 11 affects Sakurai's decision at all really, that is just an optional thing. :p
To be fair, that argument isn't that Chrom's part drops off after Chapter 11. The argument is basically that Chrom is a sort of "impostor" main character, while Robin, lurking in the shadows, is revealed to be the game's actual main character after that point.

I think it is important to note that Awakening has been out for nearly two years, and development of Smash 4 started after Kid Icarus was released in March 2012. Which means that if working on a Fire Emblem Newcomer early on in SSB4's development there would not be much popularity to go on. IS, however, would likely still want a character from it's most recent game included in Smash. Now, you could go with Chrom. The poster boy. And risk that he isn't a very liked character. OR you could go with Robin. The Avatar. A character based on the player, who has inherent popularity based solely on that fact. It really goes back to my original point: avatar character are generally more liked than others because they represent the player.

Hong

The Strongest
Also, does anyone else want to see Robin spawn miniature tornadoes akin to the ones from Hyrule Castle 64? Imagine spawning one as a trap, catching someone in the vortex and then fling them in the air. You can then use the opportunity to smash someone in with a powerful aerial attack.

In fact, I want Robin to be a strategic character in general. Like a character that relies more of brains instead of brawn, a character that more anticipates actions and then traps them into dangerous situations.
That is a good move idea, and yeah, that is what I am hoping for. My moveset took some inspiration from Custom Robo style trapping, though it's still not enough for me. Perhaps if I moved Ignis to a Final Smash and freed up another special button.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Chronology of Awakening fan opinion

Pre-Awakening Release:
"Who's that? Is he the new main character? KROM FOR SM4SH!"

Awakening Release:
"Whoa, Chrom is cool. CHROM FOR SM4SH"

A month later after everyone has beaten the game:
"Lucina is cool. LUCINA FOR SM4SH!

But isn't she like Marth?"

Post Smash 4 E3 Reveal:
"Can't wait until CHROM IS REVEALED."

A few months later:
"So... How will Chrom play?

..."

Now:
"ROBIN FOR SM4SH!"
Exactly, except cut out the first two for me. For some reason I never specifically thought about having Chrom in Smash.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Chrom does become less relevant after Chapter 11. After Chapter 13 the story seems to shift to Robin and Lucina. And Chrom is just there to be that one person who can't die, plot wise. Either way Avatar characters give the player more of a connection to the game and it's cast. Something especially important in Awakening. Robin has the potential to be one of the better characters in Smash.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom does become less relevant after Chapter 11. After Chapter 13 the story seems to shift to Robin and Lucina. And Chrom is just there to be that one person who can't die, plot wise. Either way Avatar characters give the player more of a connection to the game and it's cast. Something especially important in Awakening. Robin has the potential to be one of the better characters in Smash.
Actually, that "connection" thing you mentioned reminds me of a point I wanted to bring up. Could it be argued that Robin is the character the developers put the most effort into? I mean, he's definitely one of, if not the, most versatile character you get in the game due to his customization and the amount of classes and abilities he can have. But even moreso than that, just look at all the supports he gets. Robin literally unique support conversations with every character in the game, complete with a special, fully voice acted marriage scene for all characters of the opposite gender. That's not even counting the different supports depending on the gender, and the conversations Robin can have with his/her spouse in DLC maps and whatnot. And of course, as Nightshade98 mentioned, these supports are a major focus and feature of the game.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this, as I would think that with so much effort put into this one character, the developers might appreciate a chance to immortalize their efforts by having Robin in Smash. Then again, maybe I'm just over thinking all this.

Hong

The Strongest
Exactly, except cut out the first two for me. For some reason I never specifically thought about having Chrom in Smash.
It is a general gist of the community. I as well have had different opinions.

I won't hesitate to admit I was part of the doom & gloom Chrom cult. In many ways, I still am, and I won't lie. Honestly, if you put the dagger to my eye and told me to choose who I think is most likely, I would still answer Chrom.

I have never faltered in my love for the character. I really like Chrom, but I would not want both him and Ike in the product. Yes, you can make them 100% different in the way they are played, but with the fact Ike could use serious revision, I rather have them at least get one character right. That said, while Chrom is anticipated, never has he been my go-to pick for the game. Will I embrace him? Absolutely, but if for some reason I could only take one character, Chrom would be far down on the list.

Robin didn't immediately jump out as an option, though she did come to mind when I looked at the whole picture.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Actually, that "connection" thing you mentioned reminds me of a point I wanted to bring up. Could it be argued that Robin is the character the developers put the most effort into? I mean, he's definitely one of, if not the, most versatile character you get in the game due to his customization and the amount of classes and abilities he can have. But even moreso than that, just look at all the supports he gets. Robin literally unique support conversations with every character in the game, complete with a special, fully voice acted marriage scene for all characters of the opposite gender. That's not even counting the different supports depending on the gender, and the conversations Robin can have with his/her spouse in DLC maps and whatnot. And of course, as Nightshade98 mentioned, these supports are a major focus and feature of the game.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this, as I would think that with so much effort put into this one character, the developers might appreciate a chance to immortalize their efforts by having Robin in Smash. Then again, maybe I'm just over thinking all this.
Yes, honestly I do. I think they did out the most effort into Robin to have a deeper connection as I said before. The marriage conversations (including DLC ones) all give you a deeper connections to the characters. The class system for Robin means you can literally be whatever you want to. (Excluding the special classes). The fact that some things change depending on who marry (If you're Lucina's mother or husband after Chapter 21) further deepens the system. It's a big acheivement. Robin is a completely versatile Avatar character. I do believe that they would want to immortalize this. I'm sure that they would to like to see all their hard work appreciated by having Robin in Smash.

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Also, as others have said, having an interesting character like Robin might increase Fire Emblem's popularity. Which is good, this series needs to be known for more than "those blue haired sword using guys from Smash"

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Also, as others have said, having an interesting character like Robin might increase Fire Emblem's popularity. Which is good, this series needs to be known for more than "those blue haired sword using guys from Smash"
I love Marth with all my heart. He will always and forever be my VG bishie (him or Cecil Harvey). That said, I don't blame anyone for finding him to be terribly bland. Ike, as well, is honestly not a very interesting character if you have not had the opportunity to experience his epic journey.

As far as interesting goes, I think Anna, Tiki, or even Xane are very interesting characters that could be fun in a Smash Bros environment. Robin isn't quite up in the same interesting-tier as they are, but still leaps and bounds ahead of the lords.

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
I love Marth with all my heart. He will always and forever be my VG bishie (him or Cecil Harvey). That said, I don't blame anyone for finding him to be terribly bland. Ike, as well, is honestly not a very interesting character if you have not had the opportunity to experience his epic journey.

As far as interesting goes, I think Anna, Tiki, or even Xane are very interesting characters that could be fun in a Smash Bros environment. Robin isn't quite up in the same interesting-tier as they are, but still leaps and bounds ahead of the lords.
Oh no don't get me wrong. I LOVE using Marth (one of these days I really have to play his games.....) and I have no objection to him being in Smash. I just want a bit more variety in terms of representation, as do most who want Robin. You put Marth and Robin in Smash 4 and for me it is a guaranteed buy from me...Although if we're being honest we're all gonna buy it regardless. (Also Cecil Harvey, who has the most unfitting voice for a dark knight.)

Hong

The Strongest
(Also Cecil Harvey, who has the most unfitting voice for a dark knight.)
Off topic but WHAT!

His voice in the DS version is what captivated me. *~*

I REMEMBER LIKE ALL OF HIS BEST DIALOGUE

Also, the voice is unfitting for a Dark Knight, probably because Cecil is not fitting for a Dark Knight. That is why he became a Paladin. Like a butterfly hatching from a cocoon. Oh Cecil. <3

Um... Yeah.

So, for those that may not be aware, Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros have had alternate colours that reflect other characters in the series. For example, Marth has a Leif outfit with his white attire. Just as well, Ike's black and yellow outfit is in tribute to Greil, his father.

Even though I want Robin's various hair styles and colours to be based on the options from Awakening, I hope we get a purple Robin that is based on Katarina, the Tactician from FE12.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Off topic but WHAT!

Also, the voice is unfitting for a Dark Knight, probably because Cecil is not fitting for a Dark Knight. That is why he became a Paladin. Like a butterfly hatching from a cocoon. Oh Cecil. <3

Um... Yeah.

So, for those that may not be aware, Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros have had alternate colours that reflect other characters in the series. For example, Marth has a Leif outfit with his white attire. Just as well, Ike's black and yellow outfit is in tribute to Greil, his father.

Even though I want Robin's various hair styles and colours to be based on the options from Awakening, I hope we get a purple Robin that is based on Katarina, the Tactician from FE12.
Actually, Robin and Chrom have the nice benefit of already coming with red, green, and blue outfits from the whole player/enemy/ally color scheme. Just a nice little plus for them if either one makes it into the game.

Also, if Chrom doesn't end up making it into the game, they could probably give Ike an outfit based off of Chrom's color scheme and no one would know the difference.

Edit: Hey, I got the 700th post in this thread!

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Off topic but WHAT!

Um... Yeah.

Well I mean you.......sort of brought it up? Um or did I just....... Huh. And o......k............I LIKED GOLBEZ'S BETTER!!! So wonderful........*ahem* right back on topic, yes like I said earlier, let the first 5 be the different hairstyles and let the 6th be Grima!Robin cause having that would look awesome. Edit: Sorry didn't read all that at first. So assuming we have male and female Robin if female is Katarina what is the male one?

Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Actually, Robin and Chrom have the nice benefit of already coming with red, green, and blue outfits from the whole player/enemy/ally color scheme. Just a nice little plus for them if either one makes it into the game.

Also, if Chrom doesn't end up making it into the game, they could probably give Ike an outfit based off of Chrom's color scheme and no one would know the difference.

Edit: Hey, I got the 700th post in this thread!
Well........ I still want a Lucina Alt. Costume for Marth

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So assuming we have male and female Robin if female is Katarina what is the male one?
Soren.
If Robin had a purple-haired alt it would be a reference to Katarina. They wouldn't have to do much considering they gave her the Tactician class in Awakening.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Last edited:

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Refer to my chronology. Refer back to the responses.
FTFY
I can't believe I missed that opportunity. Time to tip the scales, even the odds and edit that post. Edit: Now it's better than before.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I must admit intially I didn't consider the tactician as he was mostly an avatar for the player, but yea, I do see it a bit more clearly. I would like to see an awakening rep one way or the other, I must submit as him/her being a viable option where I didn't before.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Er, in all seriousness, voting multiple times does kind of skew potential evidence we could use in Robin's favor... I know we want to show our support, but we don't want to take it too far, now do we?

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Er, in all seriousness, voting multiple times does kind of skew potential evidence we could use in Robin's favor... I know we want to show our support, but we don't want to take it too far, now do we?
Yeah it kind of ruins out credibility....... That being said lets not ruin our reputation. But the Sakurai plan might work.........eventually

Top Bottom