• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I believe if we do get stuck with 2 FE reps, somebody will replace Ike. I'd probably receive a lot of flak for that comment from plenty of users on these forums but it's ridiculous to think that they would put in the man hours to add Ike back in while ignoring FE:A.
But I'm pretty confident that we will get three. FE has never been more deserving of newcomers as it is now.
Nope

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."
Special emphasis on this line.Even in the terrible scenario that we only get Marth and a FE13 character, it won't be because they replaced Ike with said character, but because they didn't have enough time to bring back Ike.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Nope

Special emphasis on this line.Even in the terrible scenario that we only get Marth and a FE13 character, it won't be because they replaced Ike with said character, but because they didn't have enough time to bring back Ike.
Replace is a fancy way of saying add a character and cut a character. What I was saying is, if we have 2 FE characters, Ike wont be one of them. In other words, he would be lower on the priority list than a FE newcomer.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
To be honest, if we got Robin at the cost of losing Ike, I wouldn't mind at all. I deem that a good trade.
I agree with this, as I think Robin (or to be more precise, the Tactician as a whole) brings more to the table than Ike and better represents the whole of the Fire Emblem series than Marth or Ike do. With that being said, I dislike the idea of Ike being cut, as he is still an important, recurring protagonist of the series who has his own unique playstyle. My ideal Fire Emblem roster would be Marth, Ike, and Robin, with two big lords of the series and one of the main protagonists of the latest game that represents recurring concepts in Fire Emblem.

As a side note in regards to Ike, I hope that if he returns he uses his Radiant Dawn design. I think that would much better suit his playstyle in Smash and help distinguish him from Marth.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
I agree with this, as I think Robin (or to be more precise, the Tactician as a whole) brings more to the table than Ike and better represents the whole of the Fire Emblem series than Marth or Ike do. With that being said, I dislike the idea of Ike being cut, as he is still an important, recurring protagonist of the series who has his own unique playstyle. My ideal Fire Emblem roster would be Marth, Ike, and Robin, with two big lords of the series and one of the main protagonists of the latest game that represents recurring concepts in Fire Emblem.

As a side note in regards to Ike, I hope that if he returns he uses his Radiant Dawn design. I think that would much better suit his playstyle in Smash and help distinguish him from Marth.
Honestly I'd be fine with that Marth, Ike, and Robin seems good to me. But if we only get 2, then Robin. (I mean Robin IS technically a lord being Validar's only heir.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'll take Marth and Robin. If Ike is still there, great. If he isn't, not going to lose sleep over it.

Despite the fact Ike is the best lord the series has seen, I am not too concerned over his attendance. Not like the character will phase from existence.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Here are my thoughts on the matter. I posted this in the Roster Discussion Thread awhile back:

If you want to get technical, Robin is essentially the secret rep of the Fire Emblem franchise. He/she has been present throughout the series because he/she is the player, the person who causes the battle to be won or lost. Awakening just had this idea manifested into the game as an actual person...you.
With that being said, I agree with a lot of what's been posted recently. I'd also like Ike to still be a part of the roster, simply for the fact that he is different from past lords in terms of backstory and maybe even personality. Plus, as we've all seen in Brawl, he's basically a bad***. I love Lucina and Chrom, but they seem kind of bland to me when you compare them to Ike.

In my opinion, Robin would be a perfect addition to the roster. Even if she isn't in the next game, I take comfort in the fact that Sakurai no doubt considered adding her.

My only worry is the fact that already two avatar like characters have been introduced as it is. How will that affect Robin's chances?

And on another note, I just realized something. The three posts above this all have Robin as an avatar. :smirk:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Here are my thoughts on the matter. I posted this in the Roster Discussion Thread awhile back:

With that being said, I agree with a lot of what's been posted recently. I'd also like Ike to still be a part of the roster, simply for the fact that he is different from past lords in terms of backstory and maybe even personality. Plus, as we've all seen in Brawl, he's basically a bad***. I love Lucina and Chrom, but they seem kind of bland to me when you compare them to Ike.

In my opinion, Robin would be a perfect addition to the roster. Even if she isn't in the next game, I take comfort in the fact that Sakurai no doubt considered adding her.

My only worry is the fact that already two avatar like characters have been introduced as it is. How will that affect Robin's chances?

And on another note, I just realized something. The three posts above this all have Robin as an avatar. :smirk:
In actuality, I almost feel like if Sakurai DOES at any point consider Robin, then he has a very good chance of getting in. There's just so much more material to work with than Chrom that I feel like he wouldn't just ignore. I can't claim to know exactly how Sakurai thinks, but if he really is looking for unique characters, Robin would be an obvious choice.

In regards to having avatar like characters in already (I presume you mean the Pokemon Trainer and the Villager), I'd say they help his chances more than hurt them. A lot of people (partially myself included) wouldn't take Robin seriously until they revealed the Villager as a playable character, since he really was the first "avatar" character introduced. Heck, he's much more of an avatar than Robin is, considering the Villager really is just an empty vessel to put your own personality into, while I would say Robin is more of a set character that you can customize to a degree, with his own personality, backstory, and abilities already set in stone. In regards to whether or not the presence of other avatar characters limits his chances, I would say they probably don't. It's just another possible way of representing franchises, and I sort of doubt that Sakurai would leave him out because of that.

Oh, and it seems you're right. A lot of people here have the avatar as their avatar. : )

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Really hoping Robin gets in Smash before another blue-haired character. Plus, the more "avatar" characters, the better imo.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'll take Marth and Robin. If Ike is still there, great. If he isn't, not going to lose sleep over it.

Despite the fact Ike is the best lord the series has seen, I am not too concerned over his attendance. Not like the character will phase from existence.
I think Ike has had his chance to shine and another FE character should get a chance this time around. As I much as I would personally prefer that would be Lucina, I think Robin is the best choice to showcase the series as it is today. It has come a long way since Brawl. Should the Avatar role continue in the FE series, I think Robin (as the Tactician or something like that) would be a character that could make continuous appearances in the series.

However, if we could get all three that would be awesome.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think Ike has had his chance to shine and another FE character should get a chance this time around. As I much as I would personally prefer that would be Lucina, I think Robin is the best choice to showcase the series as it is today. It has come a long way since Brawl. Should the Avatar role continue in the FE series, I think Robin (as the Tactician or something like that) would be a character that could make continuous appearances in the series.

However, if we could get all three that would be awesome.
Well, Ike's generally among these two when it comes to being cut: Lucas and Lucario. And since Lucario made it back, It seems likely Ike will as well. Although, I shouldn't pretend to understand Sakurai.

On another note: Little Mac's reveal means that stages that have been shown ages ago with no info may get characters. Though, most people probably already expect an FE13 newcomer regardless of the Arena Ferox stage.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Well, Ike's generally among these two when it comes to being cut: Lucas and Lucario. And since Lucario made it back, It seems likely Ike will as well. Although, I shouldn't pretend to understand Sakurai.

On another note: Little Mac's reveal means that stages that have been shown ages ago with no info may get characters. Though, most people probably already expect an FE13 newcomer regardless of the Arena Ferox stage.
Let's face it. No one understands Sakurai. But yeah it seems each stage had a newcomer attached to it so far. But again. It's Sakurai, who knows what he's going to do.

Last edited:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

I would not really connect the two. Lucario's role in Pokemon is much different than Ike's overall role in the FE series. So it would be a very big stretch to say Ike is likely due to Lucario's inclusion. But I understand Sakurai just as much as you.

Good point on Little Mac.

D

Deleted member

...And what if, instead of Robin, we get FE12's MU called Kris, as Marth is confirmed to return ?

Graydient

Smash Cadet
But he is loved. Because he is loved, they will look into what the character is capable of, to make it work.

Robin is the opposite. She is not exactly the most revered candidate. Few will grieve if she doesn't show up. That said, she is inherently more interesting and unique compared to Little Mac. She does not require much imagination to make her an interesting character.
Seeing Wii Fit Trainer getting chosen actually boosts my confidence for Robin quite a bit. Wii Fit Trainer is the character nobody knew they wanted, and I think Robin has the potential to be the same.

For Sakurai, it seems clear that his top priority for roster selections is having characters that make people interested in playing Smash. Usually, this translates to popularity and diversity.

Honestly, I don't think Chrom qualifies as either of these: he's "popular" in the sense that he's the face of FE:A, but I don't see him as popular enough to convince someone who didn't already care about Marth to pick up Smash 4. In other words, I see him as the character that most people recognize, but ultimately will not care about.

With Rosalina, you have a paired up asymmetrical playstyle. With Little Mac, you have armored rushdown. Chrom wouldn't be able to differentiate himself from Marth/Ike without going through an image problem. Sure, he can class change, but Chrom isn't really associated with class changing. Sure, he can pair up, but as I said in my earlier post, pairing Chrom up comes off as strange because he's supposed to be a fighter, unlike Ice Climbers/Rosalina/Olimar.

I find being pessimistic about Chrom helps me to be optimistic about Robin. heh

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seeing Wii Fit Trainer getting chosen actually boosts my confidence for Robin quite a bit. Wii Fit Trainer is the character nobody knew they wanted, and I think Robin has the potential to be the same.

For Sakurai, it seems clear that his top priority for roster selections is having characters that make people interested in playing Smash. Usually, this translates to popularity and diversity.

Honestly, I don't think Chrom qualifies as either of these: he's "popular" in the sense that he's the face of FE:A, but I don't see him as popular enough to convince someone who didn't already care about Marth to pick up Smash 4. In other words, I see him as the character that most people recognize, but ultimately will not care about.

With Rosalina, you have a paired up asymmetrical playstyle. With Little Mac, you have armored rushdown. Chrom wouldn't be able to differentiate himself from Marth/Ike without going through an image problem. Sure, he can class change, but Chrom isn't really associated with class changing. Sure, he can pair up, but as I said in my earlier post, pairing Chrom up comes off as strange because he's supposed a fighter, unlike Ice Climbers/Rosalina/Olimar.

I find being pessimistic about Chrom helps me to be optimistic about Robin. heh
I absolutely agree with this. Not to hate on Chrom or anything (although, hating on Chrom = hating on Robin's main competition = supporting Robin, so...), but while he is undeniably the face of Fire Emblem Awakening... is that really such a huge advantage for him? Granted, that definitely is one of his selling points, and Fire Emblem fans will no doubt recognize him... but what about those completely unfamiliar with Fire Emblem? To use my own experience as an example, I never really got into Fire Emblem before a couple of years ago. When I played through Melee and Brawl, I didn't know really anything about these Fire Emblem characters, apart from the fact that they apparently used a lot of swords where they came from (their symbol is a sword, for crying out loud...). I became familiar with Marth as he appeared in both games, and after awhile I knew Ike as the latest protagonist of the series, but I was not at all interested in the series based on the roster selection, nor did I particularly care about it in any way.

It wasn't until I started doing some SSB4 roster prediction stuff years ago did I feel obligated to research Fire Emblem to see what would make for good character representation. For that, I looked into several videos of Radiant Dawn to get an idea of what the main characters of that game were like and what they did. While I was doing that, I became rather fascinated by the strategic element the games provided, and as a sucker for RPGs, I proceeded to buy Radiant Dawn as my first Fire Emblem game, and loved it. Naturally, I delved more into the series with time, and when Fire Emblem Awakening came out, I was quick to get ahold of it and quickly fell in love with the sheer depth the game offered. It wasn't long after finishing the game that I realized that there was quite a lot of wonderful aspects of the Fire Emblem series that Smash completely looks over, instead coming off as a series just filled with similar looking swordsmen (again, that sword symbol doesn't help anything...).

So back to Chrom. As previously stated, Chrom is definitely the face of Awakening; he's one of two main characters and is by far the most advertised. Putting him into Smash would certainly be good promotion for Awakening to those unfamiliar with Fire Emblem. Or... would it? While Chrom may be the most advertised, and thus the most recognizable character from Awakening, would his presence in Smash really drive people to Awakening? Because from the eyes of an outsider to the series, they might still recognize Chrom from all his promotion, but he's still to the general public just another blue-haired swordsman. He's recognizable, but he's most likely not going to make people intrigued about Fire Emblem and want to try out the latest game. If anything, his presence in Smash could possibly be detrimental to the series, as he could cement the "blandness" idea of the series in the general public and cause disinterest for the series, which could hamper future games.

And then there's Robin. Now while he isn't the face of Awakening (well, to be fair, he does get some advertisement, his face is just concealed), he is still one of two main characters of the game. More importantly though, there's the fact that he represents aspects of Fire Emblem that Smash currently lacks. Magic? Check. Hair that isn't blue? Check. Strategy? If they decided to make Robin a Stance based character (a role that makes MUCH more sense on him than on Chrom), he could certainly represent that aspect. Check. The concept of creating your own character? Again, a recurring concept within the series that will likely be present in future installments. Check. So when all of that is put together, Robin suddenly appears to become an ideal choice for the SSB4 roster; he represents key aspects of his series that aren't currently represented (sort of like Pokemon Trainer to the Pokemon series), these key aspects lend himself to naturally becoming a very unique fighter, and these factors would cause his presence on the roster to spark intrigue as to what the Fire Emblem series is really like, thus ironically providing better advertisement for the series than Chrom could.

It is for all this that I support Robin for SSB4. I only hope Sakurai feels the same way.

Last edited:

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
You know, Robin interests me more than Chrom/Lucina/Chrom+Lucina. I guess because Chrom looks like a smug prick in the picture I keep seeing of him, and he's another blue-haired swardsman. I mean, do we really need to represent FE with blue-haired swordsmen? The only one we got that wasn't blue haired was Roy, and he was cut, and he's likely to not come back.

And this is coming from someone who's never played an FE game and kinda feels FE is overrated a bit.
If there's anyone I support as the new FE rep, I'd cast my support for Robin. The avatar aspect makes them sound interesting, as well as the possibility of using non-sword stuff

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
That avatar didn't have the tactician class that makes Robin so appealing.
Yeah I know that much but that's the extent of my knowledge on FE12 besides the fact that it's a remake of the 3rd game. Also Marth.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
With each new character we see Robin's chances slightly go up. Rosalina is a prime example of Sakurai putting unique characters above the most popular. As many of us have said, you take all of the aspects of Robin and suddenly you have the ideal Fire Emblem rep. Magic, strategy, the possibility of a stance character, the list goes on. I sincerely hope Sakurai realizes this.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
On an another note it seems we're coming up with ideas way better than what Sakurai would probably do.
Having said this before Rosalina's and Male Wii Fit Trainer's reveals I'm happy to eat my words.
Seeing Robin with multiple hair styles/colors and costumes of both genders and a stance change moveset really seems possible. If still unlikely.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
robin/ike/marth please

thinking about it, I think I liked Chrom as a character but I felt more of an impact of the story with robin, especially the part where
you have to decide whether you want to die or live on. Seriously, what? That was one good thing I found about awakening's plot.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
thinking about it, I think I liked Chrom as a character but I felt more of an impact of the story with robin, especially the part where
you have to decide whether you want to die or live on. Seriously, what? That was one good thing I found about awakening's plot.
I could see a split timeline resulting from that decision. Leading to a possible direct sequel for Awakening in one branch and a new game entirely in the other. Or not. It's not Zelda.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
How is Robin's popularity in Japan ? I'm seeing more and more roster having Chrom replaced by the avatar, and I'm wondering if this is America-Europe exclusive or Japan is thinking the same about Robin ?

TheKingOfTown

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I feel like Chrom is becoming less likely and Robin is becoming more likely. Sakurai really seems to want unique playstyles in the newcomers that have been revealed so far. And even though I really like Chrom, I have to admit he doesn't bring much to the table. Robin being revealed would be mega hype though. :3

Reila

How is Robin's popularity in Japan ? I'm seeing more and more roster having Chrom replaced by the avatar, and I'm wondering if this is America-Europe exclusive or Japan is thinking the same about Robin ?
I am wondering the same, since avatar characters like Robin aren't exactly popular here in the west...

Which is a shame, because I always liked avatar characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am wondering the same, since avatar characters like Robin aren't exactly popular here in the west...

Which is a shame, because I always liked avatar characters.
Actually, I think I have an answer to that.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

For those of you familiar with Fire Emblem Awakening (which I assume would be most of you), you might remember the japanese popularity poll taken for the DLC maps, which had special scenes unlocked for the characters at the top of the poll. As you may notice, male Robin is ranked #3 among male characters, while female Robin is ranked #2 among females.

So Robin isn't exactly unpopular, to say the least.

Last edited:

Reila

Actually, I think I have an answer to that.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

For those of you familiar with Fire Emblem Awakening (which I assume would be most of you), you might remember the japanese popularity poll taken for the DLC maps, which had special scenes unlocked for the characters at the top of the poll. As you may notice, male Robin is ranked #3 among male characters, while female Robin is ranked #2 among females.

So Robin isn't exactly unpopular, to say the least.
That is good to hear, seems like Japanese people aren't averted to avatars like western people usually are. At the same time, seeing both Chrom and Lucina in #1 is a bit saddening (although expected) for Robin supporters.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm surprised I never went into this thread before. I may have only played Awakening, but I'm a supporter of Robin. Honestly I prefer him over Chrom and wouldn't mind if Ike was cut in Robin's favor. As many of you have probably pointed out (I haven't read through much of this thread) Robin has great move set potential, plus he/she is an engaging character. Awakening is an amazing game and I look forward to playing another FE game in the future. Hopefully SMT x FE is as good as the two standalone series. I'm guessing FE will receive one new rep.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That is good to hear, seems like Japanese people aren't averted to avatars like western people usually are. At the same time, seeing both Chrom and Lucina in #1 is a bit saddening (although expected) for Robin supporters.
True, they are more popular, but as the polls indicate, Robin is pretty close behind them, in both genders too. Heck, Robin is even popular enough to have received the aforementioned special cutscenes from the DLC, although obviously the customizable appearances and alternate genders kept that from happening. The main point we can draw from this, I think, is that people DO like Robin, and quite a bit too. I would say enough so that the character could make it into SSB4 and people, while likely surprised by the addition, wouldn't mind it, which sort of ties back to that big post I made a few days ago.

Basically, Robin does have popularity, even if it is less so than Chrom. And, if some of the posts here (like the one directly above this one) are any indication, fans of Awakening would be quite pleased to see the character in Smash.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Hong

The Strongest
Chronology of Awakening fan opinion

Pre-Awakening Release:
"Who's that? Is he the new main character? KROM FOR SM4SH!"

Awakening Release:
"Whoa, Chrom is cool. CHROM FOR SM4SH"

A month later after everyone has beaten the game:
"Lucina is cool. LUCINA FOR SM4SH!

But isn't she like Marth?"

Post Smash 4 E3 Reveal:
"Can't wait until CHROM IS REVEALED."

A few months later:
"So... How will Chrom play?

..."

Now:
"ROBIN FOR SM4SH!"

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman

Pre-Awakening Release:

Awakening Release:

Post Smash 4 E3 Reveal:

A few months later:

..."

Now:
"ROBIN FOR SM4SH!"
This is exactly my case, and this is also my fear :(
Robin's popularity is rather new, and because the roster was already finalized 1 or 2 years ago, Robin's chances are not too high...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Pre-Awakening Release:

Awakening Release:

Post Smash 4 E3 Reveal:

A few months later:

..."

Now:
"ROBIN FOR SM4SH!"
If only everyone actually shared that opinion now... Chrom is still considered to be quite the shoo-in by a lot of people. Hasn't been very good for my Robin hopes...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This is exactly my case, and this is also my fear :(
Robin's popularity is rather new, and because the roster was already finalized 1 or 2 years ago, Robin's chances are not too high...
Actually, I'd only half agree with that. Robin's popularity NOW is his popularity as a Smash candidate, which really only happened recently due to people thinking outside the box with who would make the best rep for Fire Emblem. Robin as a Fire Emblem character has always been quite popular, if that poll I posted a while ago is any indication.

I would think that this situation could be sort of similar to that of Tom Nook and the Villager of Animal Crossing. Tom Nook was usually the Animal Crossing character people expected, but instead we got the main character in a bit of a twist. Not many people thought of the Villager as an SSB4 candidate, yet he got in anyway, and it seems not too many people minded that it wasn't quite the Animal Crossing rep they were expecting.

Maybe something similar could happen with Robin?

Top Bottom