• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Libra is not that god imo. Lissa is a far sturdier cleric, and has more bite to match. Maribelle, while having equal unsturdiness, has the rare Valkyriem which could help greatly with mobility.

Stahl is surprisingly good. On my second playthrough I tried him out, he is great. Good growths, good skills, a solid unit. Miriel i find is not too good of a mage, and never really use. She is too frail and weak at that point.

Now back to Robin, who is great.
I think almost all if not all characters in Awakening are good in some way or another.

Even Donnel has some shine. He sucks when you get him, becomes the best character for a bit when he class changes, then falls below average late game.

Everyone has varying moments for when they are good or bad. If you are not going to grind or you haven't used Lissa or Maribelle much, I think Libra is a good choice, for example.
Half the freakin' army is in love with Chrom. Vaike, Sumia, Cordelia and Frederick are all pretty clearly Chromosexual.
This is what me and my fellow Emblemiers gathered. The same list of characters, no less. They all want the Falchion.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Erm, moving away from the topic of Chrom's sexuality...Here's a new topic: Have you guys ever designed your avatar based on pre-exsisting characters, like Link or Zelda, etc? I feel like making one based off Light Yagami from Death Note eventually, but I don't know what his class or best/worst stats should be. Thoughts?

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Erm, moving away from the topic of Chrom's sexuality...Here's a new topic: Have you guys ever designed your avatar based on pre-exsisting characters, like Link or Zelda, etc? I feel like making one based off Light Yagami from Death Note eventually, but I don't know what his class or best/worst stats should be. Thoughts?
I personally have not as the type of characters I would recreate wouldn't work in the setting. But I can see Light easily being a Sorcerer.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I blame myself and Hong for some of the weirdness, but it seems like Fire Emblem in general allows for such things to be brought up consistently, which is both amusing and encouraging.

And I tend to just build characters based off of random quirks, not based on anyone in particular. I probably will use purple hair more, if just because no one else does.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I blame myself and Hong for some of the weirdness, but it seems like Fire Emblem in general allows for such things to be brought up consistently, which is both amusing and encouraging.

And I tend to just build characters based off of random quirks, not based on anyone in particular. I probably will use purple hair more, if just because no one else does.
Through my first play through, my unit (called her Asami) had purple hair. I tend to, if given the customization option, have my female characters with purple hair. It's just an odd quirk of mine.

Hong

The Strongest
I like cute characters so I always make my Robin cute, usually body type 2. I did make a very basic Robin once with body 1 and tried to make her look more like someone who isn't too concerned with looks. Not too privy on body type 3, so I have avoided it.

Oh, and my male Robins have always been the short one and with pink hair.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I've been making female Robins due to a desire to date the men. I tried Body Type 1 this time since I did 2 previously. First time was blond hair, this time it's purple. I don't know what I'll do next time. Maybe green or purple again but a different shade.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
1. Thank you for turning this away from that. 2. No, but I should probably try that some time.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I tried to make my first Avatar to look like me, but the male hair options were lacking in the department of curly and long. I found the hair options to be very limiting, honestly.

Er, my second was female. And I based her on nothing whatsoever. Gave her purple hair 'cause **** real colors.

They had a lot of colors at least (including my shade of red).

Hong

The Strongest
I tried to make my first Avatar to look like me, but the male hair options were lacking in the department of curly and long. I found the hair options to be very limiting, honestly.
Can I braid your hair? (*´▽`*)

Creepiness aside, I found that to be the case, too. The customization options for male characters were lacking, for me. I wanted more variety of longer hair. Also, the faces for build 2 kind of suck. Should also add that a younger voice for the younger looking body types would have been nice.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Can I braid your hair? (*´▽`*)
Get thee gone, woman.

Creepiness aside, I found that to be the case, too. The customization options for male characters were lacking, for me. I wanted more variety of longer hair. Also, the faces for build 2 kind of suck. Should also add that a younger voice for the younger looking body types would have been nice.
Well, it was nice there were voice options at all. Wasn't expecting that in the least.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah.

Honestly, being able to alter a character at all still feels weird for Fire Emblem. Brings it closer to the RPG genre. I don't like it, but with the last two entries I don't hate it, either.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Yeah I wish they had more options but it's nice to have customization in general. Here's a thought about Robin. In the first cutscene of Awakening, Validar blocks Chrom's sword with some magic ball thing (Stay with me I know it sounds stupid.) But something about felt like Smash to me. Like an A move in a magic moveset or something. Now that I've typed this out it sounds stupid to me but I'm just sharing my thoughts. Edit: I don't know why, maybe it's the way he moves during that scene that reminds me of Smash.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
Also in the new Fire Emblem stage it hope we see actual people in the background. Not the literal cardboard cutouts that were in Castle Siege.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A general question: Is female Robin more popular than male Robin? I often see people referring to Robin as she and her.

Hong

The Strongest
Also in the new Fire Emblem stage it hope we see actual people in the background. Not the literal cardboard cutouts that were in Castle Siege.
I thought it would be cool to see Fire Emblem characters.
A general question: Is female Robin more popular than male Robin? I often see people referring to Robin as she and her.
Most players make both. Based on what I StreetPass around here, I get about the same.

When I speak, I have always had the tendency to default things to she, though I am not too picky into what we will get.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see Fire Emblem characters too in the background. And I tend to refer to Robin as Robin, omitting a gender. I expect we'll get both, like WFT.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think people expect Robin's default outfit to be female (if playable, of course), because 1.) Fire Emblem has no Female reps and 2.) Sakurai seems like he's adding more females this time around.

Can someone tell me the appeal of Robin?
I never understood it.
As a Smash character?
Offers a more unique option than Chrom or another sword Lord, as Robin can use swords and/or magic. Robin also represents the strategic element of FE, which is woefully unrepresented in a series that is all about strategy.

As a character?
An actual representative of the army's tactician which is either absent in most games or treated as an unimportant aspect. It's supposed to represent the player, too as it is customizable and has the most options for classes. Allowing you to choose what you want for a character.

Hong

The Strongest
I never understood it.
Welcome to the perspective of most of the cast for most of the players who have not experienced a game with them before.

Everyone is going to have a different answer, generally with some similarities.

I like Robin as a character because her personality and her story involvement in Awakening. I love her dialogue, animation, and in-battle quips. The Tactician is an awesome addition to the Fire Emblem franchise. and I hope it becomes a thing going forward. As a fighter in Smash Bros, there is an untapped well of potential that needs to be exploited. Robin is effectively a character that can do just about anything anyone has done in any Fire Emblem ever, but having access to tomes is enough to already make several movesets.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I never understood it.
Let's just say that Robin is to Fire Emblem as :pt: is to Pokemon in a way, except Robin him/herself would do the fighting as opposed to PT controlling three characters.

Also weapon variety, as Robin can use magic as well as swords.

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
I personally refer to Robin as a he, mainly because that's the one I usually use. (So many pairings, so little time........ and save files) I haven't used Female Robin enough to say .

Morbi

Scavenger
I personally refer to Robin as a he, mainly because that's the one I usually use. (So many pairings, so little time........ and save files) I haven't used Female Robin enough to say .
I am the opposite, female Robin is the one I usually use, so I predominantly refer to Robin as she. It doesn't really matter though, I just don't like typing up he/she all the time. So I just pick my default.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Eh.
The more popular gender doesn't really matter that much.

I'm guessing if Robin did get in, they'd give him/her an alternative costume of the other gender anyways.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
I think almost all if not all characters in Awakening are good in some way or another.

Even Donnel has some shine. He sucks when you get him, becomes the best character for a bit when he class changes, then falls below average late game.
Well I think we played differently then, I managed to get a fairly good army late in the game and Donnel was still one of the best, having capped most of his stats

Hong

The Strongest
Well I think we played differently then, I managed to get a fairly good army late in the game and Donnel was still one of the best, having capped most of his stats
By late game, I mean when everyone has their stats capped. I guess post game would have been the right term.

For the base game, even in Lunatic+, Donnel still does the job and holds up well for the final chapters.

D

Deleted member

A question came to my mind after some moment of reflection about my prediction for Fire Emblem characters :
Wouldn't seem a bit odd if Robin takes the only Awakening spot instead of Chrom ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Let's just say that Robin is to Fire Emblem as :pt: is to Pokemon in a way, except Robin him/herself would do the fighting as opposed to PT controlling three characters.

Also weapon variety, as Robin can use magic as well as swords.
Not to that extent, but I see what you mean.

Hong

The Strongest
A question came to my mind after some moment of reflection about my prediction for Fire Emblem characters :
Wouldn't seem a bit odd if Robin takes the only Awakening spot instead of Chrom ?
It's as simple as fulfilling the needs of game design. You have three lead characters from the same game. If two of them are already similar to existing fighters on the roster, from the same franchise no less, then they are not very attractive as a developer trying to make a diverse roster. That is unless Chrom gets in by replacing Ike, or gets in as a duo character to reflect the Pair Up mechanic.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
I get the feeling that the only way we are getting Chrom is if Ike is getting the boot. I am pretty positive that we are getting an Awakening representative regardless of a second or third rep.

Like the above have mentioned, Robin is a huge character to the game and its plot. S/he would easily be the most unique one compared to Chrom and Lucina, who would probably play akin to Ike and Marth, respectively. I don't even consider Chrom the main protagonist, but a Decoy Protagonist. For me, that'd be Robin.

Morbi

Scavenger
I get the feeling that the only way we are getting Chrom is if Ike is getting the boot. I am pretty positive that we are getting an Awakening representative regardless of a second or third rep.

Like the above have mentioned, Robin is a huge character to the game and its plot. S/he would easily be the most unique one compared to Chrom and Lucina, who would probably play akin to Ike and Marth, respectively. I don't even consider Chrom the main protagonist, but a Decoy Protagonist. For me, that'd be Robin.
There is nothing inherently wrong with having both Chrom and Ike. If you can actually cite a legitimate reason that the two cannot coexist, I commend you; however, that is quite improbable as they are not necessarily alike. This preconceived notion that we cannot have three blue haired lords is utterly ridiculous. Ike is a unique veteran, he is fine, Sakurai is not going to omit that play-style to make room for Chrom, he is not going to impute that play-style to Chrom either.

I agree with your sentiment on Chrom being a decoy protagonist though.

Disclaimer: I already know that it is just your opinion. Don't worry, if the post came off as aggressive, it wasn't intended. I just don't understand the mentality, everyone starts to act like this is the prophecy from Harry Potter.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
There is nothing inherently wrong with having both Chrom and Ike. If you can actually cite a legitimate reason that the two cannot coexist, I commend you; however, that is quite improbable as they are not necessarily alike. This preconceived notion that we cannot have three blue haired lords is utterly ridiculous. Ike is a unique veteran, he is fine, Sakurai is not going to omit that play-style to make room for Chrom, he is not going to impute that play-style to Chrom either.

Disclaimer: I already know that it is just your opinion. Don't worry, if the post came off as aggressive, it wasn't intended. I just don't understand the mentality, everyone starts to act like this is the prophecy from Harry Potter.
You already said it yourself; it is my opinion. My gut feeling. There IS no way for me to disprove that they can't coexist it based on it alone. They can, and probably will, end up coexisting. Though, we also need to keep in mind that Sakurai is practically unreadable. We have no clue or way of telling what he'll end up doing.

Morbi

Scavenger
You already said it yourself; it is my opinion. My gut feeling. There IS no way for me to disprove that they can't coexist it based on it alone. They can, and probably will, end up coexisting. Though, we also need to keep in mind that Sakurai is practically unreadable. We have no clue or way of telling what he'll end up doing.
Yes, the assumption is that Sakurai will implement Chrom, as he is the blatantly obvious choice, one can only hope that he does the unpredictable and chooses Robin instead. As stated a plethora of times by a myriad of posters, Robin is the more ideal character in terms of move-set potential, she offers something entirely different and Robin represents far more than Chrom (as he is a decoy protagonist that was never properly developed). The inherent flaw is that Chrom is more recognizable to individuals that have never played Awakening and Intelligent Systems is most probably going to use Chrom in the future. I would honestly assert that it is close to a 50/50 chance when we account Sakurai's preference for unique characters. As many have stated, Smash isn't primarily a marketing machination, that is only a secondary function.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I'd go so far as to put Robin as the protagonist, Lucina as the deuteragonist, and Chrom as the decoy protagonist/tritagonist.

Intelligent Systems is most probably going to use Chrom in the future.
IS is very likely to use Chrom again, but it's also possible they'll use the whole concept of a player created character more in the future. If they plan on implementing that feature more, then Robin would be an excellent representative of that feature.

Top Bottom