• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

•Col•

Smash Champion
On another note, maybe the Levin Sword won't even increase the damage of the Bronze Sword greatly, but just cause more hitlag/hitstun on the enemy due to being a electric-type attack? As in, you can combo better off the Levin Sword, but smashing out players works just as good with the Bronze Sword? That'd be pretty neat, but i guess unlikely due to the FE weapon system and whatnot.
Well, at least I feel the levin sword will change the properties of certain moves. If you look at the smash attack he does in the trailer(around 1:46), you can see that sparks fly outward along the ground on both sides of him.

I doubt that would happen normally with the bronze sword.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
While I never beaten it at all, (I only played to the first chapter), I think the catch is that you actually have to kill off certain/amount of characters to get special ones.

I haven't played any of the other Fire Emblem games besides Awakening and I don't know which one to start with.

Btw, seeing how this a Robin thread, here's a question involving Avatar characters.

How do you guys like to name them? For example, do you like to name them after their canon name? Do you like to name them after yourself. Something else?
I pretty much stick to Sydrael or Azure, depending on how I feel.

The only game in which I really keep the main character's name is Dragon Warrior Monsters... because Terry (and four letter names).

Hong

The Strongest
Well, every character has been given kill moves in Smash 4.

It might sound obvious, but what changes is they are supposed to be highly applicable. Most every character in testing so far has been revealed to have a good, readily usable kill move, besides Smash attacks. Pit's Upperdash Arm is a prime example.

I think Robin's Levin Sword and Thoron will be the designated kill moves, meanwhile the bronze sword will be a Marth sourspot at best.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Well, you can play Lucina now X) That's something amirite? Also, with Lucina being made a different character from Marth soley because she doesn't have the tipper mechanic is a 99% indicator you won't be able to turn Robin's tomes breaking off by means of customisation, because then they could simply have made Lucina an alt for Marth and made his custom moves disable tipper.
Not that I particularly want to argue this point, because I don't think it will happen, but custom movesets (supposedly) only alter special moves, not normals, so this comparison doesn't really fit.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Not that I particularly want to argue this point, because I don't think it will happen, but custom movesets (supposedly) only alter special moves, not normals, so this comparison doesn't really fit.
No, it does fit, as the Tipper mechanic of Marth ALSO applies to his specials. On top of that, if the type of tome really changes the jab combo as we all (well, most of us, anyway) hope, and if that WOULD deplete the tome (which isn't said yet of course), it would have an impact on Robins normals aswell.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So... I started up Shadow Dragon. Is it just me, or the game throw characters at you like candy? (>_>)
There's a Fire Emblem that throw units at you more generously than Binding Blade?
Oh, god, I can't even imagine...

How do you guys like to name them? For example, do you like to name them after their canon name? Do you like to name them after yourself. Something else?
In most games I'll go defaults.
When I play any Zelda I stick with "Link."
Right now I'm playing Earthbound and I went with the canon names for everything.
For Pokemon, though, I always use "shrooby," or some variation of it.

But I do something different for Awakening and I'm not sure why. I've named the avatar after random characters I know.
"Kyon," "Green," "Peter," and "Kagami" represent all of my playthroughs so far.
Next playthrough I've already decided: "Hades."
And I hope "Hades" is ready for the gut-wrenching, heart braking, teeth-grindingly frustrating Lunatic+.
He was there when I played all of those Uprising chapters on 9.0, damn it, he deserves every second of what's coming to him!

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
In my case its Shiki every time 5 letters can fit into that damn box. The reason for that is actually a weird hybrid one: I went to japan once, and nobody could pronounce my real name over there. Here, that counts as a reason to be allowed to "buy" a second/third surname, so i went and got myself "Shiki", thats why it is basically naming the characters both after my favourite anime character and myself (well why i chose to add Shiki to my real name should be obvious from that).

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
No, it does fit, as the Tipper mechanic of Marth ALSO applies to his specials. On top of that, if the type of tome really changes the jab combo as we all (well, most of us, anyway) hope, and if that WOULD deplete the tome (which isn't said yet of course), it would have an impact on Robins normals aswell.
So you would turn off tippering for only his specials?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
uhm.. marths tipper mechanic is used 90% of the time on his normals. maybe wrong, but for starters i think counter doesn't have tipper?.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
So you would turn off tippering for only his specials?
Basically same as taking durability from tomes and not the Levin Sword, no?

@ SvartWolf actually i saw some SSB4 footage that suggests his counter actually having a tipper, cannot say for the other games.

And anyway, that was just an example of "modding core gameplay" of a character. And from what we where told only Mii Fighters and Palutena have such heavy modifications. I agree with maybe making the spells weaker and giving it more uses, but not removing the mechanic as a whole. Also, if what another guy said is true the tomes will break from overusage, not by durability"points" meaning as long as you don't do the Fox and spam the **** out of your B-Button you would be fine.

But I digres. Next point i thought about: With Tactician being a hybrid between meele and mage, and seeing how much attention to detail Sakurai put in this character, I think it is safe to assume his Jabs and Tilts won't be awful. Maybe not the best but definitly not awful. And that means less reasons to overuse your tomes.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
The move has to hurt the opponent in order to heal. It's how it works in Fire Emblem.

It should also work on anything that has a health meter too, probably. Stuff like Luma, Master Hand, Yellow Devil, Ridley, every Smash Run enemy, Pikmin, anything that doesn't have a percentage count but can still die.
BUT if you, lets say, catch Luma in it you'll propably get smacked to death by a not-so-happy Rosalina...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't think the custom moves will actually effect the Combo Finisher, though. It will effect the Special's characteristics: charge time, damage, etc. I can only see an indirect effect on the Combo Finisher if Robin's Custom Moves affect how many time she can use each tome, thereby restricting or widening the use of said Combo Finisher.

On another note, I was thinking about Robin's Neutral Air (which we haven't been shown), since it involves no directional input it cannot be a "Smash" aerial. Perhaps it, like Robin's Combo Finisher, is a spell dependent on the tome equipped. Of course, it could be something completely different like a kick or physical striking with her tome.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
But hey, you get some health back to serve as a buffer against the oncoming attack, and you've killed off the Luma, which means Rosalina has to start spawning a Luma all over again, giving you a temporary advantage. :p

Unless Nosferatu was your last tome on hand and you used your last use on Luma, in which case nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Basically same as taking durability from tomes and not the Levin Sword, no?

@ SvartWolf actually i saw some SSB4 footage that suggests his counter actually having a tipper, cannot say for the other games.

And anyway, that was just an example of "modding core gameplay" of a character. And from what we where told only Mii Fighters and Palutena have such heavy modifications. I agree with maybe making the spells weaker and giving it more uses, but not removing the mechanic as a whole. Also, if what another guy said is true the tomes will break from overusage, not by durability"points" meaning as long as you don't do the Fox and spam the **** out of your B-Button you would be fine.

But I digres. Next point i thought about: With Tactician being a hybrid between meele and mage, and seeing how much attention to detail Sakurai put in this character, I think it is safe to assume his Jabs and Tilts won't be awful. Maybe not the best but definitly not awful. And that means less reasons to overuse your tomes.
In terms of core gameplay mechanics? Yes. In terms of changing only special moves? Not quite. We don't know if normals will deplete the durability, but if I had to guess, then I would guess they wouldn't. If normals could deplete the durability, then sure, you're right. Otherwise not.

Again, Sakurai probably doesn't care what anyone on the Robin forums think, he'll do whatever he likes.

I agree, his jab(s) and tilts will probably be pretty good.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Not sure if mentioned but has anyone noticed that Robin's jab combo is different depending on which tome he is holding. In the beginning of the trailer against Captain Falcon he does a 3 hit combo which ends with a explosion while holding the Fire. Later when he is fighting Kirby he does a combo ender with the Wind tome which is a multi-hit move. Wonder if this will also go into the durability as well?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Not sure if mentioned but has anyone noticed that Robin's jab combo is different depending on which tome he is holding. In the beginning of the trailer against Captain Falcon he does a 3 hit combo which ends with a explosion while holding the Fire. Later when he is fighting Kirby he does a combo ender with the Wind tome which is a multi-hit move. Wonder if this will also go into the durability as well?
Was mentioned a few times already, the last time like literally on this page. I can understand not readin everything but reading the last page at least...

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
This is how I play Fire Emblem.

I have been playing this series for a long time, and never have I, especially in recent entries, felt like chance was to blame for my errors. Granted, I have lost units to reinforcements spawning and killing my healers, but that's more of a memory game than any real strategic challenge.

Back to the point: Generally, anything sub 90% on attack is assumed to miss. Just the same, if they have more than 20% chance to hit me, I assume it'll be a hit. Needless to say, it affects my army composition quite a bit, since I find Myrmidons thrive on RNG more than anyone and I leave them out.
That's all fine and dandy when you have the choice. But there are times, especially in the early part of the game, where you have to settle for less of a hit chance. Especially if you don't want to let your Jeigan suck up EXP, especially if it isn't an Oifey and even then you still wanna give EXP to your other characters still.

I'm also not afraid to take risks with in the game, even though I am not actually reckless, even though it is RNG. I keep it reasonable however.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
But hey, you get some health back to serve as a buffer against the oncoming attack, and you've killed off the Luma, which means Rosalina has to start spawning a Luma all over again, giving you a temporary advantage. :p

Unless Nosferatu was your last tome on hand and you used your last use on Luma, in which case nyuk nyuk nyuk.
It all depends on how much damage Nosferatu does/heals in the first place. Maybe it will not even be enough to K.O. luma and i can guarantee you, you don't want to eat a charged smash from Rosalina. She can hit like a truck from what i have seen. (Also when she hits you it should break the command grab and Luma would survive anyway and you'd most likely take more damage than you healed in the first place). Definitly nothing where you can write #wurf... oh wait, wrong game.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
That's all fine and dandy when you have the choice. But there are times, especially in the early part of the game, where you have to settle for less of a hit chance. Especially if you don't want to let your Jeigan suck up EXP, especially if it isn't an Oifey and even then you still wanna give EXP to your other characters still.

I'm also not afraid to take risks with in the game, even though I am not actually reckless, even though it is RNG. I keep it reasonable however.
I'll settle for less of a hit chance, but I'm still going to assume that anything sub-90% is a miss, and plan accordingly.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Tomes breaking is too integral of a mechanic just to disable via custom movesets. I think @Shiki is right on the money with this one. At max, you may be able to change how much durability each spell uses in exchange for making the attack weaker.
Which actually makes sense. If we do get customization like Thunder - Elthunder - Arcthunder, anyone who's play Fire Emblem knows that weaker tomes have much greater durability.

Also, I find myself wondering. Is Robin able to pull out the Levin Sword with Air Smashes, or merely perform Air Smashes with the Levin Sword out? Since I'm still thinking that once you pull out the Levin Sword, it's out until it breaks, I'm wondering if the Air Smashes are just a case of "when you have the Levin Sword out, you always do Smash Attacks, even in the air".

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Neutral Air could be a way to revert back to the Bronze Sword, since there's no directional input for the move that would tell the game that the Levin Sword can be pulled out for the Air Smash.

That would mean that Nair can't be a kill move ever, but ah well.

Just want to point out that for the video purposes, the Fox may have just held his shield long enough to let it break intentionally, so he'd pop up and tumble down, setting himself up for Robin's fair.
Don't characters flash purplish-black and gray and have some kind of spark effect when they break their shield? Because Fox is showing no shield-break after-effects like I remember there being.

D

Deleted member

Neutral Air could be a way to revert back to the Bronze Sword, since there's no directional input for the move that would tell the game that the Levin Sword can be pulled out for the Air Smash.

That would mean that Nair can't be a kill move ever, but ah well.

Don't characters flash purplish-black and gray and have some kind of spark effect when they break their shield? Because Fox is showing no shield-break after-effects like I remember there being.
I don't know about Smash 4, but at least in Brawl they didn't, it was a series of white flashes akin to what signifies invincibility frames (which disappear as the character starts to fall back down):
Go to 0:17.

On that note, what exactly do you type in the URL of the video in order for the video to snap to the timestamp when someone clicks on it/the link, I see in the URL there is something like "urlwordsIcan'tremember"=42s" which would mean the video would automatically start playing at the 0:42 timestamp, but how is it done?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Good point, actually. Nintendo seems to have higher standards for voice acting nowadays, and we've already seen Pit go from having a horrible VA in Brawl to a really good one in Uprising and SSB4. That actually makes me feel a lot better about the odds of Ike getting better voice work this time around.

Hopefully his voice clips themselves are up to recent standards. Awakening's crit lines proved that Fire Emblem characters can still be memetic when they're acted well.
Yeah, I don't know that there's a single crit line in that game that didn't have meme potential. The sheer number may have suppressed many of them, but all the main lines for the most heavily used characters are pretty much up there already, at least among the Awakening fans.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I don't know about Smash 4, but at least in Brawl they didn't, it was a series of white flashes akin to what signifies invincibility frames:
Go to 0:17.

On that note, what exactly do you type in the URL of the video in order for the video to snap to the timestamp when someone clicks on it/the link, I see in the URL there is something like "urlwordsIcan'tremember"=42s" which would mean the video would automatically start playing at the 0:42 timestamp, but how is it done?
The post-shield break animation seems akin to what Sonic was describing, which is what Fox would have potentially been in, had his shield broken. I think.

At the end of the youtube link you would put #t=1m10s (with minute and seconds varying based on the time you want). You can also omit the minute portion of the link.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
But hot damn I'm so glad that song is in the game.

Not like I had any doubt about it. And as a small bonus we got the character that the theme song is for. How fortunate. ♥

D

Deleted member

The post-shield break animation seems akin to what Sonic was describing, which is what Fox would have potentially been in, had his shield broken. I think.

At the end of the youtube link you would put #t=1m10s (with minute and seconds varying based on the time you want). You can also omit the minute portion of the link.
I was more responding to his question about the "black and purple" effect that he thought might've come after a shield break. The sparks are definitely there, but there is no black/purple coloration as far as I can tell. I was aware of the Tumble Animation idea that has been proposed with regards to Fox breaking his shield before the clip with Robin.

Also thanks, btw.

Top Bottom