• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yeah, I don't know that there's a single crit line in that game that didn't have meme potential. The sheer number may have suppressed many of them, but all the main lines for the most heavily used characters are pretty much up there already, at least among the Awakening fans.
"Looks like Teach just got tenure!"

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Haha well Vaike is just ******** in general so you can't expect to much from him.
That line is gold.

I'm actually failing to think of any that were particularly memorable at the moment (outside of Owain's). Tharja's "You're already dead!" Line is good, but that line practically has memetic status thank to Fist of the North Star.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber

Anyway, I almost want to think Nosferatu might be a special that sends Robin into freefall after using it in the air.
Is it bad this was my FIRST thought when I heard him use the attack? (And was it fate I watched this episode just an hour beforehand from the live trailer?) Creepy stuff dude xD

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That line is gold.

I'm actually failing to think of any that were particularly memorable at the moment (outside of Owain's). Tharja's "You're already dead!" Line is good, but that line practically has memetic status thank to Fist of the North Star.
Really?

You don't think of "Pick a God and pray!" immediately?

Also, the GBA Arcfire is very cool. Lyn seemed to recognize Robin in her recruitment DLC, implying that Robin was, in fact, the GBA Tactician. Time Travel be waco yo

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Is it bad this was my FIRST thought when I heard him use the attack? (And was it fate I watched this episode just an hour beforehand from the live trailer?) Creepy stuff dude xD
It literally is always my first thought upon hearing that name. It's one of Spongebob's biggest memes for a reason. :p

Hong

The Strongest
I thought about @Tuvillo's theory, but the way Mr. Sakurai words that article, it makes it sound as if each is a separate resource.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Really?

Also, the GBA Arcfire is very cool. Lyn seemed to recognize Robin in her recruitment DLC, implying that Robin was, in fact, the GBA Tactician. Time Travel be waco yo
In my defense I rarely used Fredrick, but that one is great.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm surprised people were able to post after the announcement. Took me a few hours before I could navigate SmashBoards.
I managed to see the page through dedicated refreshing, but Robin straight up broke the forums a little bit, yeah.

Hong

The Strongest
I managed to see the page through dedicated refreshing, but Robin straight up broke the forums a little bit, yeah.
I told AlphaZealot to not have the servers so close to Arena Ferox, but he wouldn't listen!

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Daily pic goes over what Famitsu already covered earlier.

Pic of the day. Robin's Nosferatu is the first ability in the Smash Bros. series that recovers your damage as it gives damage to others. The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind! Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series.

Just now noticed it, but is Nosferatu the first attack that will not force a character to turn around to face the attacker before the hitstun? Or did Zamus's Paralyzer Shot and Down Smash do that too?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Today's PotD features Robin using Nosferatu.

"Pic of the day. Robin's Nosferatu is the first ability in the Smash Bros. series that recovers your damage as it gives damage to others. The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind! Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series."

We already have the details for it so...yeah :p

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Nothing new.

Still wish he wouldn't word it that way, since Robin can still use Dark Tomes, and it's only her default class that cannot.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Sakurai's subtle way of telling the FE creators "Have the Tactician class have dark magic in future installments you ****ers".

Last edited:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Well remember the new we got was from a Japanese magazine interview with Sakurai. He should clarify to others who are not as obsessed with Smash with a Potd.

Hong

The Strongest
To be fair, a busy guy like himself probably just blitzed through the game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Eventhubs, the site on the first page that provided the Famitsu scans, had this to say on Nosferatu:

What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.
But in the Miiverse pic, Sakurai says:

The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind!
So that should clarify some things. Nosferatu will be stronger and beneficial overall if hit from behind, and not just recover more health only.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Who's to say the lag is the same length of time as if you were to land it? Missed grab cooldowns are much shorter than if you were to grab and pummel them. Don't know if you could grab a puppet character like Luma. In Rosalina's trailer it showed grabs don't work on Luma. Granted, that was a Z grab and not command grab, but even so, it would only mean that Nosferatu is risky in the Rosalina or IC match up.

As for the mashing out bit. That's true, but it's still possible that Robin can throw them before any mashing is possible. In the famitsu scan, it's mentioned the Nosferatu 'curses' the enemy. It seems to me like the effect might persist even after they escape, but that's speculation.
Let me quote myself : "I'M NOT SAYING HE COULDN'T BE TOP TIER." All i was saying that, if any of those things i mentioned WOULD happen, and i'm fairly sure some WILL to balance it out, having a method of recovering HP + Damage + Hitstun isn't a guaranteed spot on the top of the tierlists, like you worded it. As for being able to throw out of that move... I can't remember any "similar" command grabs being able to throw the guy away, when i was seeing it i was thinking along the lines of Diddys Monkey Flip. As far as i remember you only have the option to pummel or let go with that one. Same for Warios Bite. Can't remember another move that would let you keep attacking and then throw away, but i think if you could they'd have shown it off like they did with the standard backthrow. So eh...maybe another "unique" mechanic for Robin that'd give him 5 pummel+throw moves, or you can only release it... And gosh if that's so please don't be like Brawl Ness' Grab Release... *shudder*

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well remember the new we got was from a Japanese magazine interview with Sakurai. He should clarify to others who are not as obsessed with Smash with a Potd.
Yeah, the magazine only confirmed our beliefs. I discovered Nosferatu's healing capabilities during the trailer. But indeed, this was a fine PotD for everyone else and not the "obsessed" :p

To be fair, a busy guy like himself probably just blitzed through the game.
Sakurai is more than capable of doing a Lunatic run, no DLC on his very first playthrough. All because he has made a game.

Eventhubs, the site on the first page that provided the Famitsu scans, had this to say on Nosferatu:

So that should clarify some things. Nosferatu will be stronger and beneficial overall if hit from behind, and not just recover more health only.
I guess it was just implied from the Famitsu Scan. The more health you recover, the more damage you probably dealt. Idk, that's just the way I took things when I first read the scan.

Hong

The Strongest

Good eye.

I'm going to go on a whim to assume it's raw life leech at this point.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Yeah, the magazine only confirmed our beliefs. I discovered Nosferatu's healing capabilities during the trailer. But indeed, this was a fine PotD for everyone else and not the "obsessed" :p

Sakurai is more than capable of doing a Lunatic run, no DLC on his very first playthrough. All because he has made a game.

I guess it was just implied from the Famitsu Scan. The more health you recover, the more damage you probably dealt. Idk, that's just the way I took things when I first read the scan.
Only the healing becoming stronger also makes the move as a whole stronger so I'll still go with that. I mean thats what Nosferatu worked like in FE, right? It had a chance to heal for 50% or 100% of the damage done?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Only the healing becoming stronger also makes the move as a whole stronger so I'll still go with that. I mean thats what Nosferatu worked like in FE, right? It had a chance to heal for 50% or 100% of the damage done?
Depends on the game. Though, in Awakening, it's 50% of the damage inflicted.

EDIT - Just realized that the wording may make it seem like the amount of health recovered varies in all FE games. One game (Awakening) heals 50%, all games prior heal 100%.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Depends on the game. Though, in Awakening, it's 50% of the damage inflicted.
Then, yes, it would make more sense if the damage also was higher. Dunno why i thought there was a Nosferatu that doubled healing on crit... Heh.

SolemnDIvide

Smash Rookie
So I know I can't speak for most but when I saw that trailer and realized who was under that hood I know I couldn't contain my excitement for what Sakurai just did. Ever since SSB Melee when we were all introduced to FE characters I of course couldn't help but get into the series right then and there. After thoroughly playing most of the games up to Awakening it came to mind something that I thought could be really interesting, "What would a mage type FE character be like in SSB"? Then suddenly on that Monday it all came true in possibly the best way. This character was all my questions answered just like that and I am far too happy to see him/her make their debut. Having say :4robinf: is going to be a main for me might not give him/her enough justice. Let's just say my friends are going to be seeing a lot of this one. ^-^

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, I was expecting, with this Famitsu interview, that we would get a POTD (or several) that is just a rehash of what was said in the article. New screens are always welcome, but I would have loved a nice four pic update that showed Robin's various Combo Finishers. But that probably is asking too much, those kind of POTDs are rare.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Really?

It actually kind of works. Robin is sent to the Outrealms when Validar's wife wanted to stop the scheme to revive Grima. Robin wanders the Outrealms for a time, winds up in Elibe and helps out with the events of Rekka no Ken, and eventually makes it back to the world of Awakening. Shortly thereafter, Robin is found by Chrom, just one map point away from the Outrealm Gate.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It actually kind of works. Robin is sent to the Outrealms when Validar's wife wanted to stop the scheme to revive Grima. Robin wanders the Outrealms for a time, winds up in Elibe and helps out with the events of Rekka no Ken, and eventually makes it back to the world of Awakening. Shortly thereafter, Robin is found by Chrom, just one map point away from the Outrealm Gate.
It doesn't seem to explain why the Tactician's canon name in FE7 is Mark. But if you like that interpretation, I won't argue with you on that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Really?

I kinda figured that the GBA Tactician was actually Morgan, but it could be.

The GBA games don't have Arcfire. Arc spells debuted in Radiant Dawn, and have only returned for Awakening to date (though presumably they will come back again in future titles).

It doesn't seem to explain why the Tactician's canon name in FE7 is Mark. But if you like that interpretation, I won't argue with you on that.
I personally believe its Morgan, not Robin. In fact, Morgan was called Mark in Japan.

That said, it can always be a case of "getting sent through the Outrealms" and getting amnesia every time, so a new alias is formed. Marth thought Robin was Kris, too.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Sakurai's subtle way of telling the FE creators "Have the Tactician class have dark magic in future installments you ****ers".
Right, because incredibly balanced stats, and the most reliably powerful Attack Skill in the game aren't enough.

You can always run Sol/Sorcerer, Sakurai, don't worry.

Top Bottom