• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Ya know, don't know if this affected their decision on which Robin to use in the trailer, but if female Robin showed up, then the people who ship Chrom x Robin would expect Lucina to call her "mother" when she showed up.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai on Nosferatu: This is the first time we've had a character use an ability they can't in their game." Robin can't use staves as a Tactician.

Why have the trailer state "I can only use them so many times" if this is the case as well? I'm pretty sure it's a "X uses then breaks" mechanic.
Sakurai never said that this is the first time we've had a character use an ability they can't in their game...

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Sakurai on Nosferatu: This is the first time we've had a character use an ability they can't in their game." Robin can't use staves as a Tactician.

Why have the trailer state "I can only use them so many times" if this is the case as well? I'm pretty sure it's a "X uses then breaks" mechanic.
Obviously they implemented Nosferatu before implementing Hammerne. :troll:

Have the trailer state that because it's true, in a sense. If you overuse the tomes (use them too many times) they will break. Such a statement would be true regardless of whether it's a break->replace mechanic or a regenerate mechanic.

I wouldn't say it's outside the range of possibilities, and while it's potentially "less interesting," I would say it's more practical.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Frankly, if Robin caused Crashboards, I hate to see what happens when Ridley gets announced... That's when the Internet blows up. :p
Honestly, I'm not sure if Ridley would really cause that much of an uproar if he(she?) got in. While Ridley definitely has a good number of fans, a lot of the "Ridley or bust" posting feels very memetic. If Ridley actually got in, I think a lot of people who currently proclaim to want Ridley would be disappointed, as they'd lose the fun of campaigning/complaining.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

Actually Sakurai said the opposite: It is NOT the first time they did that. Look at Ness, PKT and PKF aren't even in his repertoire in the Mother games. Ganondorfs Warlock Punch, Kick, whatever do not even EXIST.

Bowser in melee could command grab with his side B. If he grabbed you, he could take several bites out of you before tossing you behind him like yesterdays newspaper.
Already forgot he used to work that way... Hmm. Interesting.
I honestly disagree with you on the tome mechanics. Sakurai was building the character off of Fire Emblem mechanics, and regenerating tomes does not represent that.

Regeneration almost eliminates the entire idea of the mechanic, anyway. It would prevent you from just spamming a single move, but wouldn't come into play otherwise. It would turn it from "monitor and manage when your tomes break" to "make sure your tomes never break", which isn't in keeping with Fire Emblem, nor do I think it is as engaging of a mechanic. It would just put an artificial time delay on how often you can use moves. "Don't use Elwind more than once per 30 seconds of play" is not nearly as interesting.
Actually a mechanic that doesn't make them regenerate is a terrible idea from a gameplay standpoint. You see, i currently play a game where a spell does that: It has X charges and will go on cooldown after the last one is spent, no recharging otherwise. IT SUCKS. There are so many times when i want to conserve my ressources (as in mana or w/e), but have to exhaust it due to killing off the enemy group having 1-2 charges left an needing to fire them pointlessly at nothing so i get all my charges back before the next encounter. And that game is an RPG/ARPG that at least lets you wait for the cooldown and then go to the next encounter.

Imagine this scenario: You are stuck with ONE charge of ElWind, which cuts your recovery ability in half. Even if you play like a young god, if it never regenerates you will find youself in need of your full recovery at some point, but don't have access to it. You could spend that last charge and wait for the cooldown, but then you'd be dead the second you miss one single spotdodge or shield. So you want to hold on to the charge but it cripples you. And something that cripples you for something you cannot control is bad gamedesign (i would know - i had plenty of seminars on video game balance this year). You can control the frequency of your usage of ElWind, but you CAN NOT control having to use ElWind at some points.

Maybe this doesn't appear to be that bad to some people, but to me it does. And if you wanna go the explanation route: A magic tome recovering it's magical energy over time makes more sense than just pulling a new one out of your... well, whereever after some time, like "oh, look what i found, i didn'T remember i had a spare".

Just my 2 cents, I'd love the tomes regenerating, and sometimes, for the sake of gameplay, some things have to be adjusted.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking they just defaulted to male because when you start a file, it also defaults the cursor on male.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
This was the best reaction:

sunfallSeraph said:
IT'S HAPPENING. LUCINA. ROBIN M AND F. GEMATSU GETS REKT. CHROM WAS RIGHT AND ANYTHING CAN CHANGE.
:laugh:
That post is going to be my legacy on Smashboards. To be fair, I had to refresh like 20 times during peak hype just to get that tiny post through, so I think I earned my little outburst. :b

Re: items, Rescue Staff could be cool and serve a unique function. It could be the Star of recovery items; pick it up and a little icon appears next to your character's portrait, just like the Dragoon parts. Then the next time you make contact with the blast zone, your character would warp back to center stage. Kinda like a single-use Get-Out-of-KO-Free card. Could get pretty dicey with all the moving stages we have this time around though, ha ha.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly disagree with you on the tome mechanics. Sakurai was building the character off of Fire Emblem mechanics, and regenerating tomes does not represent that.

Regeneration almost eliminates the entire idea of the mechanic, anyway. It would prevent you from just spamming a single move, but wouldn't come into play otherwise. It would turn it from "monitor and manage when your tomes break" to "make sure your tomes never break", which isn't in keeping with Fire Emblem, nor do I think it is as engaging of a mechanic. It would just put an artificial time delay on how often you can use moves. "Don't use Elwind more than once per 30 seconds of play" is not nearly as interesting.
This is something we've got to deal with. This ISN'T a game where you can just get a new tome. Some things have to be changed to make things like this workable in a fighting game. Recharging tomes isn't something that happens in FE, and Sakurai is aware of that, but he needed some way to not destroy Robin's capabilities when tomes died, so naturally, they have to regenerate after a while. This is an acceptable break from traditional FE game mechanics because its a totally different game and the gameplay just doesn't work the same way.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, I'm not sure if Ridley would really cause that much of an uproar if he(she?) got in. While Ridley definitely has a good number of fans, a lot of the "Ridley or bust" posting feels very memetic. If Ridley actually got in, I think a lot of people who currently proclaim to want Ridley would be disappointed, as they'd lose the fun of campaigning/complaining.
Are you... serious? You've got to be joking. They'd be rejoicing. The only people who'd be complaining would be all the detractors, because they can't complain about Ridley being too big anymore.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am pretty sure crashboards will crash countless times when Ridley is announced. He is one hell of a controversial character.

His thread have almost 50.000k posts for a reason.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Are you... serious? You've got to be joking. They'd be rejoicing. The only people who'd be complaining would be all the detractors, because they can't complain about Ridley being too big anymore.
Unless Ridley was too big. :troll:

Smashboards would probably rip open the very fabric of time and space if Ridley was announced.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
It goes both ways. If he's playable, then there will be a huge influx of posts. If he's deconfirmed, then there will also be a huge influx of posts.

Reila

It goes both ways. If he's playable, then there will be a huge influx of posts. If he's deconfirmed, then there will also be a huge influx of posts.
He will be playable :) Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps initially, but there are plenty of people who want Ridley (not necessarily here) just because it's fun to use memes, which Ridley4Smash is.

Again, not saying Ridley isn't wanted, just that there are a lot of people who only show support because it's fun. These would likely be similar to the people who don't care about gematsu, Lucina, or Robin, yet still rejoice over Chrom's exclusion because they get to post funny pictures.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
This is something we've got to deal with. This ISN'T a game where you can just get a new tome. Some things have to be changed to make things like this workable in a fighting game. Recharging tomes isn't something that happens in FE, and Sakurai is aware of that, but he needed some way to not destroy Robin's capabilities when tomes died, so naturally, they have to regenerate after a while. This is an acceptable break from traditional FE game mechanics because its a totally different game and the gameplay just doesn't work the same way.
Recharging after they break, absolutely agreed. Recharged before fully exhausted? I doubt it.

Actually Sakurai said the opposite: It is NOT the first time they did that. Look at Ness, PKT and PKF aren't even in his repertoire in the Mother games. Ganondorfs Warlock Punch, Kick, whatever do not even EXIST.
I could have sworn that I read that somewhere. And I took it as a mention of "abilities in game that the character can't use", rather than "new moves created for character".

Actually a mechanic that doesn't make them regenerate is a terrible idea from a gameplay standpoint. You see, i currently play a game where a spell does that: It has X charges and will go on cooldown after the last one is spent, no recharging otherwise. IT SUCKS. There are so many times when i want to conserve my ressources (as in mana or w/e), but have to exhaust it due to killing off the enemy group having 1-2 charges left an needing to fire them pointlessly at nothing so i get all my charges back before the next encounter. And that game is an RPG/ARPG that at least lets you wait for the cooldown and then go to the next encounter.

Imagine this scenario: You are stuck with ONE charge of ElWind, which cuts your recovery ability in half. Even if you play like a young god, if it never regenerates you will find youself in need of your full recovery at some point, but don't have access to it. You could spend that last charge and wait for the cooldown, but then you'd be dead the second you miss one single spotdodge or shield. So you want to hold on to the charge but it cripples you. And something that cripples you for something you cannot control is bad gamedesign (i would know - i had plenty of seminars on video game balance this year). You can control the frequency of your usage of ElWind, but you CAN NOT control having to use ElWind at some points.
You're assuming that you can have "only one charge" of Elwind left. The move is confirmed to fire off two wind shots per use. I highly doubt that you can wind up with the ability to only fire one remaining.

Maybe this doesn't appear to be that bad to some people, but to me it does. And if you wanna go the explanation route: A magic tome recovering it's magical energy over time makes more sense than just pulling a new one out of your... well, whereever after some time, like "oh, look what i found, i didn'T remember i had a spare".

Just my 2 cents, I'd love the tomes regenerating, and sometimes, for the sake of gameplay, some things have to be adjusted.
I'd love to have to tactically manage when I use my times, rather than just put an overall restriction on them.

I also think that "use until broken, then replace" is more interesting and more in tune with the character and the idea of the mechanic than a "use indefinitely, as long as you don't use it too often".

While we're at it, let's talk about how punishing that makes Robin. If you use a tome a few seconds too early (before the charge replenishes) it breaks and you have to wait an extra thirty seconds or whatever before the tome regenerates?

I'm sorry, I don't see that as fun, nor do I think it matches the character.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Recharging after they break, absolutely agreed. Recharged before fully exhausted? I doubt it.
Think about it, it does makes sense. Forcing a player to think: "Well, I'll just fire off this last Arcfire while my opponent is dead" isn't really great game design (in my opinion).

You're assuming that you can have "only one charge" of Elwind left. The move is confirmed to fire off two wind shots per use. I highly doubt that you can wind up with the ability to only fire one remaining.
You're kind of just splitting hairs with this one. I would assume the poster's "one charge" means two shots, not one shot. The example would remain the same with simply "two shots" remaining.

I'd love to have to tactically manage when I use my times, rather than just put an overall restriction on them.

I also think that "use until broken, then replace" is more interesting and more in tune with the character and the idea of the mechanic than a "use indefinitely, as long as you don't use it too often".

While we're at it, let's talk about how punishing that makes Robin. If you use a tome a few seconds too early (before the charge replenishes) it breaks and you have to wait an extra thirty seconds or whatever before the tome regenerates?

I'm sorry, I don't see that as fun, nor do I think it matches the character.
A regeneration time would still require you to tactically manage your tomes, merely in a different way, and it would, as you said, make misuse significantly more punishing. Thirty seconds would be far too much under any circumstance.

For break>replace, I would imagine the time won't be more than 5~7 seconds.
For regenerate/break>replace, I would imagine 1-2 seconds per charge, and 7~8 seconds for the full recharge. Anything more than that is getting ridiculous.

Hong

The Strongest
Ah, debates. ♥ I was waiting for these to show up on the Robin forums. Good, good.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, Female Robin technically could have had Shadow Gift (which lets you use Dark Magic as a technician). So it isn't that far of since that kind of thing exists in FE (as a female only thing though).
No she can't. Morgan can, and Micaiah and Katarina can have it while being a Tactician/Grandmaster, but not Robin.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm thinking they just defaulted to male because when you start a file, it also defaults the cursor on male.
Most likely. Robin in Smash is the defaultiest of defaults, down to even the voice.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Think about it, it does makes sense. Forcing a player to think: "Well, I'll just fire off this last Arcfire while my opponent is dead" isn't really great game design (in my opinion).
In other words, forcing someone to manage their inventory and think tactically.

I'm sorry, but "should I fire off this shot and set the tome to recharge while I have this gap in the action, or do I assume that I'll get attacked as soon as the other player spawns in, and to hold onto my tomes" is a way more interesting strategic choice than "well, I KO'd someone, so my spell is going to regenerate".

You're kind of just splitting hairs with this one. I would assume the poster's "one charge" means two shots, not one shot. The example would remain the same with simply "two shots" remaining.
The poster specifically stated having one charge only giving access to half of Robin's recovery. That is not going to be the case. Even with only one charge remaining, you'd have access to full recovery. You just wouldn't be able to recover again for a few seconds after it breaks.

A regeneration time would still require you to tactically manage your tomes, merely in a different way, and it would, as you said, make misuse significantly more punishing. Thirty seconds would be far too much under any circumstance.
It turns it from a "manage inventory", akin to what we actually get in Fire Emblem, to a manage time mechanic. It becomes all about rationing attacks compared to overall time, rather than rationing attacks with regards to usage remaining.

With a "4 shots left" mechanic, it all becomes about how you use those four shots. You won't want to use specials carelessly, because you only have so many left, then you're vulnerable.

Regenerating flat out actively encourages using specials blindly. Rationing them would be sub-optimal. "Well, I'm full on charges, I might as well try for this shot, it'll regenerate again anyway". Like almost every game with recharge timer mechanics, you are always better using the ability instantly, because anything else is downtime that is wasted. Any time you're full is time the ability is spent not recharging, which is wasted time overall.

Let's say you have five shots total before breakage.

If durability loss is permanent until breakage (which I believe it is), you have to ration each of those shots, make each one count.

If durability regenerates every five seconds, you will be firing an extra shot every five seconds, regardless of the situation, because there is no reason not to.

Rationing shots and determining when to use it with a constant regeneration would only ever become an issue if you had to spam a single attack constantly. It removes the entire "breakage" or "tactical use of ability" concept entirely, and makes it basically nothing but an anti-spam feature.

For break>replace, I would imagine the time won't be more than 5~7 seconds.
For regenerate/break>replace, I would imagine 1-2 seconds per charge, and 7~8 seconds for the full recharge. Anything more than that is getting ridiculous.
One to two seconds a charge is completely ridiculous already. At that point, it doesn't even become an issue. Heck, the spells seem to have a longer cast/finishing lag than that.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
No she can't. Morgan can, and Micaiah and Katarina can have it while being a Tactician/Grandmaster, but not Robin.
I said technically she COULD have. I meant it as "lorewise, she could have that ability as the father is a user of dark magic and shadow gift exists in the FEverse", i know she cannot get it in the game.

The big question is whether or not those two shots consume one charge or two. Because I'm 100% certain that when you fire the first blade and get hit by a hitstun causing move your second blade won't magically still come out. So whether it consumes 1 charge for both or one charge for each is not yet known. If it is charges anyway, it could also be 100% and the abilities reduce that. I know it has charges in the game, just putting it out there.

Also, what i marked will not happen period. Assuming ffiring 2 shots costs 2 charges, and you only lose one by getting hit before the second shot, this would mean Robin losing his ElWind for the rest of the stock and possibly the rest of the game if the durability is carried over different stocks. Having somehow one charge left and not being able to wind-up a spell if he doesn't have 2 would be so exploitable he'd be what people that explain everything in tiers would call "trash tier". Of course this implies he has no way to just deplete 1 charge, and that both shots cost one charge. Which would leave the question, does that multihit move deplete a charge everytime you press A (assuming its a jabfinisher here) ? Gee please no.

EDIT ignore the problem on the wind-up part, just saw your next post and that you believe firing both will cost one charge in total.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I am pretty sure crashboards will crash countless times when Ridley is announced. He is one hell of a controversial character.

His thread have almost 50.000k posts for a reason.
I'm just waiting for Ridley's reveal trailer to involve Robin in some way. If not, then I'm hoping that he'll be doing something silly with her in some way in the official pictures (like teasing a relationship between them cuz Robin is the Fell Dragon). :p

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Perhaps initially, but there are plenty of people who want Ridley (not necessarily here) just because it's fun to use memes, which Ridley4Smash is.
If it's K. Rool riding Ridley, the forum will implode. That will be the last of it. If Mewtwo is involved somehow, the world will end.

D

Deleted member

I'm just waiting for Ridley's reveal trailer to involve Robin in some way. If not, then I'm hoping that he'll be doing something silly with her in some way in the official pictures (like teasing a relationship between them cuz Robin is the Fell Dragon). :p
Inb4 in Ridley's Reveal Trailer Robin is all like "I've never seen a wyvern or manakete like that before."

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
In other words, forcing someone to manage their inventory and think tactically.

I'm sorry, but "should I fire off this shot and set the tome to recharge while I have this gap in the action, or do I assume that I'll get attacked as soon as the other player spawns in, and to hold onto my tomes" is a way more interesting strategic choice than "well, I KO'd someone, so my spell is going to regenerate".
In my opinion, the decision of break vs. regen is more interesting than break vs. save. To each their own.

The poster specifically stated having one charge only giving access to half of Robin's recovery. That is not going to be the case. Even with only one charge remaining, you'd have access to full recovery. You just wouldn't be able to recover again for a few seconds after it breaks.
You're right. My mistake. :nervous:

Regenerating flat out actively encourages using specials blindly. Rationing them would be sub-optimal. "Well, I'm full on charges, I might as well try for this shot, it'll regenerate again anyway". Like almost every game with recharge timer mechanics, you are always better using the ability instantly, because anything else is downtime that is wasted. Any time you're full is time the ability is spent not recharging, which is wasted time overall.
That's not really true, particularly in fighting games where blindly throwing moves is unsafe. Anime fighters in particular use lots of meters like this, and using them "just so they aren't full" is not the best strategy. It works a lot better than you might think it would.

Let's say you have five shots total before breakage.

If durability loss is permanent until breakage (which I believe it is), you have to ration each of those shots, make each one count.

If durability regenerates every five seconds, you will be firing an extra shot every five seconds, regardless of the situation, because there is no reason not to.
Except being punished for it, which will happen. You're not going to randomly throw out Elwind or Nosferatu just because you're full on charges. You may not even want to throw out Arcfire. Thunder maybe, but that time would likely be better spent simply charging the move anyway.

Rationing shots and determining when to use it with a constant regeneration would only ever become an issue if you had to spam a single attack constantly. It removes the entire "breakage" or "tactical use of ability" concept entirely, and makes it basically nothing but an anti-spam feature.
And so it might.

One to two seconds a charge is completely ridiculous already. At that point, it doesn't even become an issue. Heck, the spells seem to have a longer cast/finishing lag than that.
You're right, it would have to be longer than that. There's a reason I'm not in charge of Smash 4. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I said technically she COULD have. I meant it as "lorewise, she could have that ability as the father is a user of dark magic and shadow gift exists in the FEverse", i know she cannot get it in the game.
But if the whole point of explaining it in some way is to explain why Robin has it in Smash but can't in the actual game, is it really such a good idea to try to explain it with a theoretical skill that Robin also cannot get in the actual game? It's just trading one "smash only" for another.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
But if the whole point of explaining it in some way is to explain why Robin has it in Smash but can't in the actual game, is it really such a good idea to try to explain it with a theoretical skill that Robin also cannot get in the actual game? It's just trading one "smash only" for another.
As i explained earlier i just put it there because there were arguments going on on what kind of moves character x or character z could get to make them unique, and some of those weren't even "it could maybe have happened in another timeline" but straightout BS, like "Chrome could have used his cap to fly making him unique in Smash" kind of BS.

Last edited:

Walgen

Smash Rookie
It can't be Morgan. Lyn's recognition clearly states:
"Are you the enemy's tactician? ...Wait, what?! It can't be... Are you... No, that's impossible... I'm sorry, it's just...you remind me of someone very dear to me. A tactician, like you, who came to my aid time and again. This might seem like a silly question, but... Have you ever awoken in a strange place, unsure of how you got there?"

If you select "Yes", this is the follow up, and this is how we KNOW it isn't Morgan:

"I knew it! It happened three times to the man/woman I knew."

If you play male Robin, she says man. If you play female Robin, she says woman. This means that it cannot be Morgan, as Morgan's gender never matches Robin's. Since this also bases the gender of the tactician in Rekka no Ken on the gender of Robin, it implies pretty dang heavily that Robin is Marc either way.
Marth told Robin that he reminded him of Kris. Are they the same character?

What Lyn said was a reference to Blazing Sword's Mark/Morgan/Whoever. Robin can say no.

Also,
the downloadable chapters where Robin and Co. go to another timeline have two Morgans.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Marth told Robin that he reminded him of Kris. Are they the same character?

What Lyn said was a reference to Blazing Sword's Mark/Morgan/Whoever. Robin can say no.

Also,
the DLC chapters where Robin and Co. go to another timeline have two Morgans.
None of which has any bearing on the point I made, which is that the Morgan in Awakening's storyline cannot be Mark from Blazing Sword.

Also, while Robin can say "no", Lyn still believes that Robin is Mark.

"Even if you claim you aren't the man/woman I knew, I want to judge for myself."

The implications are pretty strong, even if it's never outright stated. Regardless of this, the Morgan you recruit cannot be the tactician from Rekka no Ken.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
In my opinion, the decision of break vs. regen is more interesting than break vs. save. To each their own.
I'd also like to reiterate: Breaking items is what they're pulling from Fire Emblem. If you can just hold off on your tome use slightly and it never breaks, that entire aspect of the game, the core feature they're pulling, is lost.

Heck, certain tomes are unlikely to ever break, in that situation. I mean, if you only ever use your Up special for recovery, what are the odds that you'll need to recover frequently enough to have it break?

Limited durability is what they're pulling, I seriously doubt it's going to operate this way.

That's not really true, particularly in fighting games where blindly throwing moves is unsafe. Anime fighters in particular use lots of meters like this, and using them "just so they aren't full" is not the best strategy. It works a lot better than you might think it would.
It's not as true as it is in some other genres, you're right. But if you have a projectile and a chance to hit, you're going to fire it. There is no downside to not doing so. And most of Robin's attacks are projectiles. Heck, you would fire it just to set up an Arcfire pillar to catch anyone charging you. Because you don't have to think about the tome wearing out unless you've been constantly spamming it.

Except being punished for it, which will happen. You're not going to randomly throw out Elwind or Nosferatu just because you're full on charges. You may not even want to throw out Arcfire. Thunder maybe, but that time would likely be better spent simply charging the move anyway.
Elwind or Nosferatu, perhaps, but you certainly have plenty of reasons to toss out Arcfire and Thunder.

And so it might.
It's supposed to be a core feature that ties Robin to the Fire Emblem games, not an annoying anti-spam feature.

You're right, it would have to be longer than that. There's a reason I'm not in charge of Smash 4. :laugh::laugh:
Ok, so how long would it take to recharge? Think about this. You have to balance the recharge times enough to keep breakage an actual factor in combat, while balancing those times across the four different tomes Robin can use. If it's too long, you can risk breakage not coming into play at all, as it's very rare for most players to rely on a single move over and over, but if it's too short, you risk crippling Robin's play if there's ever a situation where spamming is called for.

Managing tome breakage is definitely far better than absolutely forgetting about it because it regenerates, until a clutch moment forces you to use a move a lot and it shatters on you.

Breaking items is a core mechanic, it's not something that you're going to be able to get around. That's why they feature it in the trailer.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
None of which has any bearing on the point I made, which is that the Morgan in Awakening's storyline cannot be Mark from Blazing Sword.

Also, while Robin can say "no", Lyn still believes that Robin is Mark.

"Even if you claim you aren't the man/woman I knew, I want to judge for myself."

The implications are pretty strong, even if it's never outright stated. Regardless of this, the Morgan you recruit cannot be the tactician from Rekka no Ken.
Exactly. We just have to assume it's either different from the Morgan you recruit, or it's Robin. Robin seems more realistic, with the whole Lyn and Kris thing.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Just now noticed it, but is Nosferatu the first attack that will not force a character to turn around to face the attacker before the hitstun? Or did Zamus's Paralyzer Shot and Down Smash do that too?
I've been pointing this out since day one. :(

That's why I've been saying I'm doubting that this acts as a command grab, since every single grab in smash history turns the enemy to face you.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

That's why I've been saying I'm doubting that this acts as a command grab, since every single grab in smash history turns the enemy to face you.
The thing is, there is an actual benefit from hitting an enemy from behind with it, right? It doubles the moves strength. So the target not turning anround is most likely just a clarity issue so you can see you pulled the "backstab" off.

Hong

The Strongest

You would choose now to bring up "smash history"?

Robin is the first character in Smash history with an equipment durability mechanic.
Robin is the first character in Smash history with aerial smash attacks.
Robin is the first character in Smash history with life leech.
Nosferatu is the first ability that has any kind of special interaction when done from behind.

My point is there is going to be a first time for everything, and with Smash 4 there is going to be a whole lot of first times. Of course, we still have yet to see the maximum range of Nosferatu, and what happens when it connects at this range. Does it draw them in? Or are they stunned where they stand?

There's so much we have yet to learn. You could be right and Nosferatu can just be a channelled spell that can be blocked. Just the same it may be unblockable, and if that's the case, it's more or less a command grab at that point, even if there are no throws involved. We see Robin "ensnare" Palutena before he starts waving his arms around, so we know you have to land the curse to begin siphoning their life.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You would choose now to bring up "smash history"?

Robin is the first character in Smash history with an equipment durability mechanic.
Robin is the first character in Smash history with aerial smash attacks.
Robin is the first character in Smash history with life leech.
Nosferatu is the first ability that has any kind of special interaction when done from behind.

My point is there is going to be a first time for everything, and with Smash 4 there is going to be a whole lot of first times. Of course, we still have yet to see the maximum range of Nosferatu, and what happens when it connects at this range. Does it draw them in? Or are they stunned where they stand?

There's so much we have yet to learn. You could be right and Nosferatu can just be a channelled spell that can be blocked. Just the same it may be unblockable, and if that's the case, it's more or less a command grab at that point, even if there are no throws involved. We see Robin "ensnare" Palutena before he starts waving his arms around, so we know you have to land the curse to begin siphoning their life.
You're not helping cushion the wait time until this game comes out, you know. It's bad enough that I'm getting hyped by trailers and new characters, stop hyping me up even more.

Reila

If not Robin (female Robin pls, I want to see her in some sort of CG), I would like Ridley's reveal trailer to follow up the size joke in Little Mac's reveal trailer. I mean, both Little Mac and Ridley's are subject to jokes because of their sizes :p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think his final smash should have been the Dragon Grima being unleashed to devastate the world

Top Bottom