• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.
But reading is fun... :[

I love to read because- *shot in the head*
Speaking of reading... you know what I've always hated? Whenever people say that they don't like reading others automatically assume that the people who don't like to read are trying to "be cool" or not look like a nerd/bookworm or something.

Once I was having a conversation with my English teacher once and at some point she said, "I'm guessing you liked reading in your childhood and that interest faded as you got older?" She had the most shocked expression when I told her that I never really liked reading that much to begin with, and thus did not read much at all when I was a kid.

And it's not because I don't want to look like a nerd or whatever, or because "cool kids don't read". It's because I have never found a single book that has interested me enough to sit down and read the whole thing. I don't know if I'm just incapable of sitting down and reading an entire novel or if I'm an extremely selective reader, but I've tried to get into so many books that my friends are interested in and pretty much all the time I put the book down like a quarter way through and let it collect dust.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Man, that song brings back memories. Always played in the background on those ponygroove.mp4 (and Spiderman.mp4) videos.
Eh, it was just on the suggestions bar and I clicked on it thinking it was actual cat groove music with meows and stuff while a groovy instrumental was playing... I was not surprised when it turned out to be "normal" music. Was listening to this before I checked Catgroove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nhp6ULk7mE. Electro swing and swing are amazing.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Well goodbye Skinship... We hardly knew ye.
Now now. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Why throw away all that time and effort they went to create the models, and coding for skinshipping? Because a few people complained about a feature they may never use or may never even buy the game in the first place?

Besides, you could only rub the heads even in the Japanese version. You can scroll down to look at the character's body but they won't respond to you touching anything else. If anything, the lines said by well... everyone will be toned down. Less lewd. In fact, one line said by Joker was too lewd even in the Japanese version.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Now now. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Why throw away all that time and effort they went to create the models, and coding for skinshipping? Because a few people complained about a feature they may never use or may never even buy the game in the first place?

Besides, you could only rub the heads even in the Japanese version. You can scroll down to look at the character's body but they won't respond to you touching anything else. If anything, the lines said by well... everyone will be toned down. Less lewd. In fact, one line said by Joker was too lewd even in the Japanese version.
Yeah I don't think it was going away. I was just making a laugh. Honestly I probably will only try it once and never really use it again. lol

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Speaking of reading... you know what I've always hated? Whenever people say that they don't like reading others automatically assume that the people who don't like to read are trying to "be cool" or not look like a nerd/bookworm or something.

Once I was having a conversation with my English teacher once and at some point she said, "I'm guessing you liked reading in your childhood and that interest faded as you got older?" She had the most shocked expression when I told her that I never really liked reading that much to begin with, and thus did not read much at all when I was a kid.

And it's not because I don't want to look like a nerd or whatever, or because "cool kids don't read". It's because I have never found a single book that has interested me enough to sit down and read the whole thing. I don't know if I'm just incapable of sitting down and reading an entire novel or if I'm an extremely selective reader, but I've tried to get into so many books that my friends are interested in and pretty much all the time I put the book down like a quarter way through and let it collect dust.
I enjoy just about all kinds of books (there are a few genres I have trouble getting into, and fewer I can't stand to read). I understand that some people have trouble getting into books, but I believe there's a book for everybody; some people just need to read the right book, and that one book they really like starts up there inert desire to read.

Never stop looking for the right book. Never give up.

:4metaknight:

D

Deleted member

I got Xenoblade Chronicles: X and I have been playing it for hours.

Personally, I think that the game improves what the original did in terms of gameplay. The guns add to the gameplay since you don't have to always go up close with melee attacks, which makes battles smoother and faster in my eyes. Since every enemy has appendages to destroy, you can strategize with them on the bigger enemies. And there is a lot of customization in this game with the main character, outfits, and classes for your character.

This game is also massive... I am still in the first area and I don't think I made any sort of major dent in my progress. I also like the smaller features like running.

Unfortunately, I am not the biggest fan of the silent protagonist. Shulk is one of my favorite characters and it's a shame we went from a relatable character to... well... a silent protagonist with amnesia. At least his voice actor is in the game. I still find the story to be engaging, however.

Overall... I am enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles: X. In terms of gameplay, it has massively improved in almost every way.

If you didn't buy this game, you are doing a disservice upon yourself.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Personally, I think that the game improves what the original did in terms of gameplay. The guns add to the gameplay since you don't have to always go up close with melee attacks, which makes battles smoother and faster in my eyes. Since every enemy has appendages to destroy, you can strategize with them on the bigger enemies. And there is a lot of customization in this game with the main character, outfits, and classes for your character.

This game is also massive... I am still in the first area and I don't think I made any sort of major dent in my progress. I also like the smaller features like running.

Unfortunately, I am not the biggest fan of the silent protagonist. Shulk is one of my favorite characters and it's a shame we went from a relatable character to... well... a silent protagonist with amnesia. At least his voice actor is in the game. I still find the story to be engaging, however.

Overall... I am enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles: X. In terms of gameplay, it has massively improved in almost every way.

I'm banking on a possible christmas present.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think I'm in love with my Xbone...Tomb Raider Reboot is first, then Rise of the Tomb Raider

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Thanks for giving me premium Zantetsugun Zantetsugun that was really nice of you. I guess I'll have to hang around smashboards more often now.
No problem! Gotta live up to the Santatsugen title!

We all have our niches and hobbies that we gravitate to, so I agree that it's quite stupid and ignorant to assume someone who doesn't like reading is trying to be a "cool guy" just for the sake of looking "cool" (unless they are that kind of person who just tries to act cool, which I don't think you're that kind of person at all). Everyone has their interest areas and certain things just "click" with some people while other things simply don't. The human race is one big pile of snowflakes after all! :sheep:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
In reference to this, I gotta be clear on something.

I've basically stopped trying to keep up with this thread because the ****posting has gotten so bad that I just don't even want to deal with the headache of handing out infractions.

But if it's keeping other people away too..... that's not ok. I have to do something about that.

So it's going to be time to starting coming down on it.

OFFICIAL AND FINAL WARNING:

Tone it down. Talking to other users is fine. Saying silly things is fine. But when you have a meaningless banter back-and-forth with someone that takes 10 posts and accomplishes literally nothing, all you are doing is flooding the thread.

That means cut back on the gifs, cut back on the memes, or AT THE LEAST try to condense the posts into less individual posts.
I don't think I'm the only one who has kept the thread at a distance because of the ****posting, but I may be the only one who has outright said that I'm staying away because of the ****posting.

I've notice a number of people who aren't around as much as they used to be:
The_Cardinal The_Cardinal , @Elezir, Mr. Johan Mr. Johan , @Delta Fist, redfeatherraven redfeatherraven and @RadiantTactician are just a few that I can think of that don't seem to come around here anymore (or as often) and, while there may be other reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the sheer quantity of ****posting is contributing to keeping them away.

If you guys don't know what constitutes as ****posting, here's a small tutorial:

When you're going to post, ask yourself several questions:
1. Does anyone give a crap?
2. Do the number of people who DO give a crap equate to more than one or two?
3. Does the post contribute anything meaningful to the discussion(s) that are currently running in the thread? -OR- Does the post seem to be something that provides a new topic of discussion?
4. Would someone like @Raziek NOT be pissed at me if I posted this?
5. Would this post garner Likes from other users? (People who Like every post don't count)

If the answer to those questions is "yes", then chances are, you're NOT ****posting. Note that this is by no means an exhaustive or live-or-die list of rules. It's just something to consider.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871

That's great to hear.

And yeah I'm not much of a fan of the silent protagonist. Although I am happy that we have Shulk's voice actor as an option.
I don't really think I'll play the game until Christmas since it's so close. And I also haven't beaten the original Xenoblade Chronicles. So I will have a lot of time to beat that. Although I'm also not sure if I can beat the game in that time either.

But if you're wondering how far I am in Xenoblade
Seriously
Agniritha, capitol of Mechonis.
Have fun with the game!

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
It's on the top of my Christmas list!

Literally, the top:
20151204_232019.jpg
Don't ask me why it's sideways.

So wait, is the PC customizable or something? Cuz I'm kind of confused about the whole thing about Shulk's voice being in there.

Last edited:

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
It's on the top of my Christmas list!

Literally, the top: Don't ask me why it's sideways.

So wait, is the PC customizable or something? Cuz I'm kind of confused about the whole thing about Shulk's voice being in there.
Yeah, the PC's customizable. Shulk and Fiora spiritually return as voice options, fittingly labeled the "classic" option.
It's funny though, Shulk's voice sounds very not Shulk in terms of how he talks.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
December 5th:
Edit:
And because I missed several days of December:
December 1st:
December 2nd:
December 3rd:
December 4th:

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Hello everyone, it's that guy who comes and makes like 2 posts before leaving for a few weeks.
Anyways if you're playing with friends and they have custom equipment on, speedy Robin is amazing. Why?
Robin stole Sheik's Forward Air. That's why.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, the PC's customizable. Shulk and Fiora spiritually return as voice options, fittingly labeled the "classic" option.
It's funny though, Shulk's voice sounds very not Shulk in terms of how he talks.
The lines the PC has in the game aren't lines that I imagine Shulk saying. So, it's almost kinda sorta like Shulk going out of character. I wouldn't think he would say "OK, who is up for the next dance?" or "Yeah! Melee! Go go go!"
He does have lines that Shulk says in Xenoblade, such as "I can feel the power!", "I need to become even stronger!", and... everyone's favorite... "I'm really feeling it!" I dunno if the other voice options say that or specifically Shulk's voice actor.

EDIT: Also, he sounds a little bit different than in both Xenoblade and Smash. He still sounds like he's determined, but he sounds like he is just having fun if that makes any sense.

I can't say much about the silent protagonist beyond that... I have no idea what character development the character has.

The character is fully customizable, from changing the gender to changing their hair color. Here is the character customization in X:
Granted, in the American version, the voices are English (obviously) and you can't change the breast size for females.
Males can have Shulk be their voice and females can have Fiora be their voice. However, males and females can have a wide variety of different voices. It's nice that Monolith made it an option for players who loved the first game and grew attached to these characters.

That's great to hear.

And yeah I'm not much of a fan of the silent protagonist. Although I am happy that we have Shulk's voice actor as an option.
I don't really think I'll play the game until Christmas since it's so close. And I also haven't beaten the original Xenoblade Chronicles. So I will have a lot of time to beat that. Although I'm also not sure if I can beat the game in that time either.

Seriously
Have fun with the game!
Same. Honestly, I made my character look like Shulk so that it can be like Shulk is there in spirit... even though his lines are out-of-character.
You are almost done. I think that you can beat the game within that time span.

Last edited by a moderator:

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Just went to my first tournament and won, but it wasn't normal tournament standard. It was a fundraiser-type thing (no entry fee either) and was single-elimination, Bo1 because we only had 3 setups and 2 were for FFA. The stage picking was just selecting Random (although they were tournament legal stages).

It wasn't suuuuuper serious but the spaghetti was real. And the rolls. I could have started my own bakery.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
The lines the PC has in the game aren't lines that I imagine Shulk saying. So, it's almost kinda sorta like Shulk going out of character. I wouldn't think he would say "OK, who is up for the next dance?" or "Yeah! Melee! Go go go!"
He does have lines that Shulk says in Xenoblade, such as "I can feel the power!", "I need to become even stronger!", and... everyone's favorite... "I'm really feeling it!" I dunno if the other voice options say that or specifically Shulk's voice actor.

EDIT: Also, he sounds a little bit different than in both Xenoblade and Smash. He still sounds like he's determined, but he sounds like he is just having fun if that makes any sense.

I can't say much about the silent protagonist beyond that... I have no idea what character development the character has.

The character is fully customizable, from changing the gender to changing their hair color. Here is the character customization in X:
Granted, in the American version, the voices are English (obviously) and you can't change the breast size for females.
Males can have Shulk be their voice and females can have Fiora be their voice. However, males and females can have a wide variety of different voices. It's nice that Monolith made it an option for players who loved the first game and grew attached to these characters.

Same. Honestly, I made my character look like Shulk so that it can be like Shulk is there in spirit... even though his lines are out-of-character.
I think with Silent Protagonists (especially this kind), a lot of the character development is left up to you. I think that's even more applicable if the character is an amnesic. I don't know how much control you have over the character's actions and such in story moments (for lack of a better term) but I've always thought that the intention is to let you sort of flesh out the character yourself.

As an example, Golden Sun. The reason a lot of fans were ticked off in The Lost Age was how Isaac was handled as no one really thought of Isaac being the way he was. He was silent in The Broken Seal (that's the Japanese name of the first Golden Sun for those of you who aren't aware) and wasn't in The Lost Age and many thought his personality was way different than how they had imagined it or made it in their playthroughs of the first Golden Sun.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I think with Silent Protagonists (especially this kind), a lot of the character development is left up to you.
And I guess that's one reason I prefer fully integrated protagonists than self-insert ones. I'd rather experience someone else's story than shallowly project myself onto them, you know?

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
And I guess that's one reason I prefer fully integrated protagonists than self-insert ones. I'd rather experience someone else's story than shallowly project myself onto them, you know?
No one says you have to put yourself in there. For example, I have this really bad habit of playing chick characters in games: Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fallout, FFXIV. Hell, in Mass Effect my female character was heterosexual. And I'm a heterosexual guy, mind you. I didn't feel weird at all doing that, or in any other game where I've played a female character and romanced a male. Granted, I tend to put some of myself in my characters (I, for example, cannot play evil characters to save my life), but I've never seen playing games with malleable protagonists (silent or otherwise) as all that Self-Insert.

I guess it just depends on how you do it.

Shrug?

Sorry if this comes off as condescending or asshole-ish.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
For the record I did not stop posting in this thread because of outside influences. I stopped simply because I could not think of things to say and couldn't justify making offhand comments just because I could.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I expected Shulks to be worldwide...is it happening yet?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'm somewhat in the same boat as Mr. Johan Mr. Johan Though, some of the spamy stuff is annoying tbh.

Good to hear man! I haven't played it yet, but...
XenoBrawler610ost: 20544559 said:
Personally, I think that the game improves what the original did in terms of gameplay. The guns add to the gameplay since you don't have to always go up close with melee attacks, which makes battles smoother and faster in my eyes.
This.

Now to debate if I should just go ahead and play it tomorrow or consider it as a Christmas present.... Probably the former. (I already opened the box, so it's sorta too late now)
December 5th:
Edit:
And because I missed several days of December:
December 1st:
December 2nd:
December 3rd:
December 4th:
I really, really, love your taste in festive music.

Listening to TSO Christmas music a tradition of mine.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
That's great to hear.

Seriously
Have fun with the game!
Ah you're up to some of my favourite moments of the game made even better by the just as good music.
Make sure you get everything done on Mechonis (so Sword Valley, some Fallen Arm stuff that requires you to go to Mechonis, Mechonis Field, Central Factory and Agniratha) before heading to the shrine because ****'s gonna go down
Like REALLY serious ****

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
avi_peeking_post.png
Heyo.

I got tagged a couple times.

redfeatherraven redfeatherraven That new avi of yours has made you reach a whole new level in the avi department. Not sure what level you're at, but it went up by 1 or 2 levels because of it.
Thankee kindly, I do what I can.

I can only take so much credit for it, though. It was in response to a tag regarding someone else's Pika picture, was a fairly simple tweak from this end, and probably wasn't even handled optimally. Not what I'd consider my best work. But if it gets a chuckle out of you like it got one out of me, well, mission accomplished.

I've notice a number of people who aren't around as much as they used to be:
The_Cardinal The_Cardinal , @Elezir, Mr. Johan Mr. Johan , @Delta Fist, redfeatherraven redfeatherraven and @RadiantTactician are just a few that I can think of that don't seem to come around here anymore (or as often) and, while there may be other reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the sheer quantity of ****posting is contributing to keeping them away.
For myself, it hasn't been a factor. I've always been fairly resistant to ****posting; in fact, depending on the day and situation, I've likely been just as guilty of it. Probably even some of my pictures would count.

But I've felt pretty bad about effectively vanishing from around here. So, gather round, lemme talk about it.

Biggest player by far is life circumstances, which itself is kind of an umbrella for a handful of different factors, like a stress matryoshka doll. In brief, I've been so busy recently that I haven't been able to be around SB as much in general, or to hang here in specific.

To recap, the job that had me around so much in the evenings laid me off at roughly the end of June, and shenanigans have abounded since. Foremost there is that my new job has been a massive learning experience. By the end of the day, this has shanked my willpower for other things. Going from a 7p-7a schedule to a 9a-6p one has also wreaked havoc on my sleep. Probably shouldn't even be going about this explanation at four in the morning. But, in for a penny, in for a pound.

There's also been a little personal RL drama here and there, which, all due, I'd prefer to keep to myself. Suffice to say it's no more SB-related than the above.

Anyway, after all this I've dug in with internet articles and video games because after my daily mindblow regimen I haven't got much left in the tank for social bits.

I've also been kind of reclusive on SB pretty much from the start. When I joined, and up till the release of Sm4sh, I frequented one thread on one board. Ever since, I've only really branched out to additional social threads, and my ability to keep up with one thread, much less several, has always been a little shaky. With the above factors also weighing in, it's been diminished to nearly nonexistent. Of the four or five major threads I used to follow, I'm now down to basically one, which itself is more like one-ish, as I've even disappeared there for long stretches of time recently.

So...yeah. Tl;dr, life is hectic, I'm old, get off my lawn. But even if I don't come by and express it as much as I should, I still think y'all are awesome.

Man, that felt a little solemn. What else do we got on the docket?

I bought the game. Disservice avoided.

I haven't been able to sit down with it though (haven't even gotten the disk out of the case yet). It's just sitting in the corner of my room, taunting me.

Ah well, at least the art book is nice. It'll tide me over until I get a block of time together.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I really don't care much for ****posting. Although it is a little annoying. These smashboards pages load kind of slow for me so it just makes me not want to read through pages.

I think I want to pick up Xenoblade Chronicles X sometime, it looks too good for me not to.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Every time I watch Nairo play Dark Pit, I rejoice at the beauty of the world just that bit more.

So good~ <3

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
For the record I did not stop posting in this thread because of outside influences. I stopped simply because I could not think of things to say and couldn't justify making offhand comments just because I could.
This is essentially the same reason why I haven't been around as much as well. But I will not belabor the point any further since what needed to be said had already been said.

By the way, Chapter Serf Chapter Serf , you said you were in the homestretches of Zestiria earlier? Where you at and do you plan on doing any post-game content?

Top Bottom