• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Tshockz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
speed0fsound
3DS FC
1762-3005-1769
So what is Nosferatu exactly? Is it a type of grapple when he/she exchanges tomes? o.o
It looks like it will be a close range attack also it wouldn't be when he switches tomes since from the game itself its one of the spell tomes that are usable.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Nevermind I guess you might be able to have the dark attacks as jabs as well.

Knowing Fire Emblem and how Magic work Flux will be the base level for the dark magic

Having more moves involving the Dark Tome just keeps the possibilities endless with this character.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
So, I know this forum is the Robin forum but... Has anybody else noticed the question mark during the Lucina moment?

I mean... is Falchion still asleep? Do swords sleep? What's going on!?
I assume the devs were thinking of a way to come up with creative text and went something like this...

Dev 1: Lucina Wakes her Blade!
Dev 2: Does that even make sense?
Dev 1: Eh, close enough just go with it.

"Lucina... wakes her blade?!"

(the blade awakening of course is based on the right of awakening if you didn't play the game.)

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
But then you dont have enough buttons for the Tomes. The four elements are mapped to a different button, that I'm 100% sure of.
i guess, but it still seems off to me that there seems to be no way of getting a tome back, maybe it recharges over time or maybe the sword has a limit too and they alternate.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
It would be funny if Kellam was an Assist Trophy.

He'd just sit there. And do nothing. The Mr. Resetti of SSB4, except does absolutely nothing.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Having more moves involving the Dark Tome just keeps the possibilities endless with this character.
I can see the Dark line of spells being Flux < Luna < Waste < Nosferatu. I only put nosferatu last, because it heals, and i guess it seems like more of a big reward to replenish health as the final stage. Maybe Nosferatu can only be limited to the command grab and they use Worm instead for the final stage dark spell. I'm gonna see if the symbols on the books actually match up with the Fire Symbols.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I assume the devs were thinking of a way to come up with creative text and went something like this...

Dev 1: Lucina Wakes her Blade!
Dev 2: Does that even make sense?
Dev 1: Eh, close enough just go with it.

"Lucina... wakes her blade?!"

(the blade awakening of course is based on the right of awakening if you didn't play the game.)
Right I know. I just thought the "?" was funny.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
If it will heal Robin how much do you think it would heal for and how long would it last? It seems pretty op if there's no way to DI out.
You just have to compare it to a similar move. Lets say a similar move deals 5% damage per tick. If this one heals for 2% and deals 3% damage, then it should be balanced. It's all about the ratio.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
All the times I was put down. All the times I was branded as wrong. Through all the incessant flames signing pages of Fire Emblem discussions. But most of that simmers down after today. Robin finally pulled through after all our worries. Indeed, anything can change.

I'm pretty disappointed Chrom was deconfirmed in favor of Lucina though. Especially considering she's either an independent Marth clone or a remodel for Marth (Hah, step under clone, you say?) The ambiguity of this makes her hard to swallow.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
DREAMS DO COME TRUE.

I HAD ACCEPTED GEMTASU AS GOSPEL AFTER E3 OUT OF DEFEAT.

CHROMBRERO WAS COMING AND MY HUSBANDO/WAIFU ROBIN WOULD BE AN AT AT BEST.

THEN IT TURNED OUT SAKURAI ACTUALLY PLAYED AWAKENING.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:

lami

Smash Journeyman
This move is actually dang cool, and will most likely be useful. Ivysaur's heal tacks like 1% of health back on and (charges solar beam) so, dealing like maybe 2-4% and healing 1-2% per tick could be verrrrrry good depending on how hard it is to get out of.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So what is Nosferatu exactly? Is it a type of grapple when he/she exchanges tomes? o.o
Nosferatu is a dark magic spell in Fire Emblem games that heals the user by either 100% or 50% of the damage the user deals to the enemy.

The fact that Nosferatu is a move for Robin is quite clear that it'll heal Robin while dealing damage, anyone who knows anything about Fire Emblem would pick up the reference immediately.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I think the only move that is chargeable is his ( presumed neut b ) thunder. as none of the other moves are seen to have different levels of charge.

As for Robin picking up items he probably picks them up telekinetically just like :mewtwopm:
nosferatu or whatever that is might just be a pummel, like :ivysaur:in PM. I think the likely hood of having a special move with a set amount of heals is less than having it be a pummel, Which could easily be escaped and would make the move seem less 'Broken' plus you'd possibly have to sacrifice your throw for the healing as you don't ever really know when the opponent will break free. Not saying Robin is broken, just speculation.
Also down B does seem like a weird place for a command grab, and his archfire looks a lot like :ness2:'s pkf so im assuming archfire will be mapped with side B

It is possible though, who knows.

This is probably the only sm4sh character I'm actually excited for.... unless they confirm ness ofc.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
@MorbidAltruism Hey. So, I know we've only known each other for a few months, but you and I both know there's a connection between us. I've loved you since the very beginning. I'm not good with romantic words so, screw it I'll go cut to the chase. Will you reach S-support rank with me?

D

Deleted member

So, I know this forum is the Robin forum but... Has anybody else noticed the question mark during the Lucina moment?

I mean... is Falchion still asleep? Do swords sleep? What's going on!?
I think that is kind of a nod to the fact that Lucina may be a Marth Alt. After all, on the official website she doesn't have one of the Newcomer rectangles, she only has a square, like the veterans. Not to mention that she looks like a straight-up Marth clone at this point.

Screenshot (3).png

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Imagine a trailer like this.

Gigantic Chrom destroying cities

when Chrom joins the battle Alfonzo takes his place etc

when the camera stops and focuses on a cardboard box.

Literally everyone: "Snake's back!!!!"

Then Robin jumps out of the box: "Show time!" and launches the Ridley nuke at Chrom, Chrom screeches and his flesh mask falls off revealing Ridley as well, they both show some moves (Typical trailer stuff) and after the logo fades you get an after-scene of Robin and Ridley playing chess. "Now that's strategy!" "RAWWARRGH"

I don't get enough sleep
Well. I was kindofish right? Not really. Still, as glorious as today's trailer was, I would have preferred my version.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I think that is kind of a nod to the fact that Lucina may be a Marth Alt. After all, on the official website she doesn't have one of the Newcomer rectangles, she only has a square, like the veterans. Not to mention that she looks like a straight-up Marth clone at this point.

View attachment 18214
On the mobile site Lucina has a full on newcomer rectangle, so I'm pretty sure this is just to have all three characters on one row on the PC site.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Honeslty, it's clunky that the mobile site gets the newcomer banner and the PC version just makes it seems like she's a Marth remodel. Heck, Lucina didn't even get an introductory post on Miiverse! I hope Sakurai clarifies what she is in the next PotD.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
@MorbidAltruism Hey. So, I know we've only known each other for a few months, but you and I both know there's a connection between us. I've loved you since the very beginning. I'm not good with romantic words so, screw it I'll go cut to the chase. Will you reach S-support rank with me?
YOU GET AN S-SUPPORT! AND YOU GET AN S-SUPPORT! AND YOU GET AN S-SUPORT! EVERYBODY GETS S-SUPPORTS!

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I'm just confused as to what it is. Is it a pummel? I guess not since his grab animation's a little different. A flame breath-esque special? Or perhaps a special grab? Will it be chargeable into other dark tomes? So interesting...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Know what I like best about Robin's confirmation? It was done during a non-Nintendo Direct trailer.

Robin in canon is a person who, while making efforts to know everyone, just kinda kept himself/herself reserved and away from the flashy notable events. The Epilogue even has it listed that Robin was only known for loving his/her spouse, and that Robin's character and origins were lost to history and remained an enigma.

Now here's a trailer that has no ties to a Nintendo Direct or major gaming event. It was just done on its own, solo, away from any notable events. It's as if the standalone trailer was designed around Robin him/herself.

The fact that Robin is pitted against who is probably the flashiest ******* around just sells it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts regarding Nosferatu. More specifically, what action do you believe it is?
I'm curious to find out if Nosferatu, when used as part of Robin's other moves (aside from what looks to be a D-B command throw) such as her neutral combo string (since elemental variants seem to exist, they have a Fire and Wind variant, so it is logical that they'd have Thunder and Dark as well) would heal some of her damage as it does in the command throw.

Obviously balancing needs to be taken into consideration, so perhaps if this is the case Nosferatu will heal Robin but deal lower knockback/damage overall in her other moves?

On that note I feel like the Nosferatu Command Grab may function like Wario's N-B where the button can be tapped to increase the hit frequency and total damage (and in this case the healing of Robin) but it can be mashed out of by the opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious to find out if Nosferatu, when used as part of Robin's other moves (aside from what looks to be a D-B command throw) such as her neutral combo string (since elemental variants seem to exist, they have a Fire and Wind variant, so it is logical that they'd have Thunder and Dark as well) would heal some of her damage as it does in the command throw.

Obviously balancing needs to be taken into consideration, so perhaps if this is the case Nosferatu will heal Robin but deal lower knockback/damage overall in her other moves?

On that note I feel like the Nosferatu Command Grab may function like Wario's N-B where the button can be tapped to increase the hit frequency and total damage (and in this case the healing of Robin) but it can be mashed out of by the opponent.
I bet it'd just be another dark spell. more than one healing move seems odd for a smash game, could be interesting though.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Here's a question: Do you all think that only using a special move will decrease durability, or do you think that using your tome in a move like jab will also decrease durability?

Dragonite_Knight

Smash Rookie
I couldn't contain my hype any longer after today's reveal. After some occasional lurking, I decided that I had to hype it up with fellow Smashers. Congrats to all the longtime supporters.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

Oh boy, this whole him/her thing is gonna get tricky, lol.

But no I don't think the rest of the dark tome spells will heal. I've never played any FE games but obviously Nosferatu is a vampire allusion. Given game cliches, this dark tome set probably has a variety of dark-themed moves that all function differently, and the health-leeching Nosferatu is just one of them. It wouldn't really make sense for them to have a life-leeching set considering how varied Robin already is. I would probably liken it to Ness' energy absorption field.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Yes. The effect is identical to when you eat Food or pick up a Heart Container.

Robin will be the first character in an official Smash Bros. game to siphon health through their own attack, apparently.
Wii Fit Trainer can heal percent varying from 1-10 from Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing. I don't know how the mechanic works though.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
OP is updated with a few of the theories. Again, if you'd like yours to be in the OP/have someone else to nominate, let me know and I'll go over it and see if anyone else S-supports it.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
But that's WFT restoring health through her own methods. No foreign party required.

Robin, however, restores his own health by draining someone else through Nosferatu. That's something that's never been done in an official Smash Bros.

It's going to be fantastic to see a Robin win by timeout someday because he used Nosferatu on someone and got his percentage down below his opponent at the last possible second.

Folt

Smash Ace
Oh boy, this whole him/her thing is gonna get tricky, lol.

But no I don't think the rest of the dark tome spells will heal. I've never played any FE games but obviously Nosferatu is a vampire allusion. Given game cliches, this dark tome set probably has a variety of dark-themed moves that all function differently, and the health-leeching Nosferatu is just one of them. It wouldn't really make sense for them to have a life-leeching set considering how varied Robin already is. I would probably liken it to Ness' energy absorption field.
Dark Tomes in Fire Emblem tend to be where all the special effects go. Fire may be consistent, Thunder may be powerful, Wind may be accurate anti-air, but Dark (at least in Awakening, and I do believe the GBA series does this as well) give each ranked spell a different purpose like leeching life, maximum crit chance, 2-hit attack, siege tome, etc... but the lowest and highest ranked dark magic spells usually tend to do more base damage than even Thunder spells.

Top Bottom