• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Folt

Smash Ace
I actually shared ideas for Dark magic in the former Robin support thread (now social) and yeah, this is pretty much what I had in mind. But I do feel as though Nosferatu will be the only rep for Dark Tome spells we'll have.
It would have been easier to find out if I could prove Nosferatu wasn't the only tome shown. I think I'll look into that.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
I thought that at first too, but if you look at all the other throws Robin has his sword in a strange down pointing grip, not the case here. (sorry for the double post if it is one...)
hm, in that case either that isn't his up throw, or we are only seeing part of it never mind, missed some posts while I was writing this one

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Kirby was initially crouching and was knocked up gradually.
This is frame 4 of the gif:

I thought it could either be Up Tilt or Up Smash. It can also be the Wind stand jab as some have mentioned
He does the wind slashes after his jab, so it's the 3rd hit, like how he uses fire while having the fire tome.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Kirby was initially crouching and was knocked up gradually.
This is frame 4 of the gif:

I thought it could either be Up Tilt or Up Smash. It can also be the Wind stand jab as some have mentioned
I still think it's a wind jab. Before this frame Kirby is slightly off of the ground (or with the tips of his toes touching it/inside it) and in a weird position. It could be a down throw and we're seeing the animation just after the throw is initiated. Alternatively (since he's off the ground), he was hit with the first upward slash of jab just before this part of the video.

edit: I'm dumb

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
He does the wind slashes after his jab, so it's the 3rd hit, like how he uses fire while having the fire tome.
Yeah when i look at it frame by frame the wind starts coming out the same time the fire does in the jab.

So what will trigger the tome switching for moves? Are there Fire and Wind variants of his specials too??

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
the down slash does look just like the second slash of the fire jab...

Well if we have a different third hit of the jab for each book that is amazing, But I am still not convinced its not a tilt. There are some tilts with multiple attack parts, similar to jabs. And it would be kind of strange for them to cut the first slash out.

Either way I am still convinced tombs automatically switch then you use a new move,

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
My problem with that idea is that you see Robin grab a person with a tomb, and normally the grab button (z) discards any item you are holding.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm now under the impression that when Robin tossed the tome over his shoulder (which then vanishes), it was actually an animation that automatically plays when his tome is used up, as opposed to it being an item that Robin can throw/drop.

EDIT: It could be possible that Z-dropping or whatever it's called isn't in Smash 4, but I highly doubt that.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Yeah when i look at it frame by frame the wind starts coming out the same time the fire does in the jab.

So what will trigger the tome switching for moves? Are there Fire and Wind variants of his specials too??
At the end of the video, Fem Robin switches tomes mid roll, which makes me think you can change at any time by using that direction +B, but as of now I think it will only affect his jab

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Late, but BIG CONGRATS GUYS!! Always felt Robin was a better choice over Chrom, and it actually happened! Dreeeeaaaamsss!!!

Extra bonus points for putting the zealous Gematsu worship in its place. I don't think it's fake, but this absolutely means every (sensible) chance is still open, and that makes the dude in my avatar happy and relieved.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
You know, that definitely makes sense. His back throw uses the dark/purple tome.

i dont think its his grab, hes not holding the sword in the same animation and he see him swing before the wind comes out

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
At the end of the video, Fem Robin switches tomes mid roll, which makes me think you can change at any time by using that direction +B, but as of now I think it will only affect his jab
If you look at that frame by frame the tomb is actually still red after the roll, it doesnt change until after the lightning is shot.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts regarding Nosferatu. More specifically, what action do you believe it is?

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I liked F!Robin's VA better. M!Robin wasn't bad though. That trailer was so good Gilbert Gottfried could have been doing all the voices and I still would have loved it.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts regarding Nosferatu. More specifically, what action do you believe it is.
I think Down+B makes the most sense, and it looks like a command grab. Palutena and Robin both seem immobile for the duration of the move.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
i dont think its his grab, hes not holding the sword in the same animation and he see him swing before the wind comes out
I think the grab is the wind, and who ever was playing just used bthrow really fast.
If you look at that frame by frame the tomb is actually still red after the roll, it
doesnt change until after the lightning is shot.
Maybe you can buffer it then, she does shout arcthunder before the roll is over. May have been an audio error though, idk.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Robin tome system is odd...

They will have a limited supply as demonstrated with Robin throwing the book away and becoming empty handed
We can at the least cycle though the spells as in the last part of the video she taunts with the green book, the taunt completes with it still green, she uses arc fire, the book is red, she rolls with the red, then she uses arc thunder, the book turns yellow.
There's four variations which is shown with thunder, elthunder, arc thunder and the strongest lighting attack which I forgot the name off. We also see near the end with all four FE characters Robin getting ready to use a 'big' fire attack which makes me think we will have four variation of each tome book.
Last we are shown a very clear charge up animation

Conclusion: With everything I've pointed out put together it makes me think we will have either free control or be on a set cycle of tomes we use and that charging up will be the only way to 'upgrade' your tomes to the next level but by doing so will drain your tome supply faster.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Nope, I just changed my avatar right now. I've been wanting to use this for quite some time, but during those weeks I didn't think I would ever use it. Also, I told myself if we didn't get Shulk today, then I would have changed my avatar of Charizard to that newcomer.

I am so glad it turned out to be Robin. ;__;
You have easily the best avatar of them all by far, IMO.
I wasn't a fan of the voice actually.
So I heard from some.

To each their own. Hopefully we'll have Japanese voice settings for those who want it.

Soul.

That was good, lol.
Anyway, Robin looks good in both versions. Like I said before, congratulations to everyone on this thread for getting their character. You all don't need to worry anymore, now all you Robin supporters need to do is wait until the game's released.
Once again, congratulations.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Speaking of which, is there a gif of Robin nosferatu-ing off of Palutena?

..... Not that it's weird or anything, right?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Congratulations guys!

I used to say Robin was overrated.
Now it's time for me to eat those words.

I love Robin's addition. It throws a curveball in speculation and it's actually exciting.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I think the grab is the wind, and who ever was playing just used bthrow really fast.

Maybe you can buffer it then, she does shout arcthunder before the roll is over. May have been an audio error though, idk.
The book stays red through the roll, stand-up animation, and the shield (well after she says Arc Thunder). I think it's audio error, and each tome is mapped to a special input.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I think I have a theory as to what the flash means.

Okay, so we've all been wondering about the end of the trailer when there's a mysterious flash once female Robin switches from the fire tome to the thunder tome.

Well, if you watch the part of the video where male Robin uses Thoron, I think there is a flash here as well, and other than it looking bigger, it looks very similar to the other flash.

IN FACT, I believe that same flash can be seen right before Robin uses El Thunder on the Halberd stage. Perhaps there's always a flash like this before one of Robin's Thunder attacks. Maybe the situation at the end of the trailer was that Female Robin stored Arc Thunder for later and then used it, activating the flash.

Just my two cents on it. I hope you guys check out what I'm talking about.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I think Down+B makes the most sense, and it looks like a command grab. Palutena and Robin both seem immobile for the duration of the move.
Yeah, I agree, regarding Nosferatu being a command grab. And it's not like Palutena has the animation(s) of taking a multi-hit move either.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think your jab will just be based off of the spell you last used. If you do El Wind the wind tome will remain in your hand, for jabs, tilts and what not. same with fire, thunder and maybe Nosferatu???? doubt Nosferatu though
I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts regarding Nosferatu. More specifically, what action do you believe it is?
Side or Down B.

Bowser and Yoshi are the only other characters to have command grabs and they are Side and Neutral B.
I might lean towards side b if its something directional such as a command grab

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Yeah, I agree, regarding Nosferatu being a command grab. And it's not like Palutena has the animation(s) of taking a multi-hit move either.
You're right, the animation reminds me of the stunned/broken shield animation. Good eye.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I think your jab will just be based off of the spell you last used. If you do El Wind the wind tome will remain in your hand, for jabs, tilts and what not. same with fire, thunder and maybe Nosferatu???? doubt Nosferatu though

Side or Down B.
Well, as I mentioned, you may be able to switch tomes during other actions, and any A move that uses the tome (so far just jab I believe) will change because of that

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I love Robin's addition. It throws a curveball in speculation and it's actually exciting.
Yeah. We know WFT, Rosalina, and Greninja didn't. :awesome:

I was stuck on a FE newcomer because there was so much variety.
Characters like Micaiah, Robin and Medeus were different from the sword fighters, yet I wasn't sure if Chrom, Lucina, or someone else would be in instead.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
So, I know this forum is the Robin forum but... Has anybody else noticed the question mark during the Lucina moment?

I mean... is Falchion still asleep? Do swords sleep? What's going on!?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
For easy work purposes, I think hooded Robin is a given. Or at the least you can toggle it on with a taunt. People who play League of Legends and know of Nighthunter Rengar will understand what Im talking about.
Hooded Robin is definitely likely. Maybe it'll be like Wario in Brawl where you have the option of going between No-Hood and Hooded Robin, each form having their own palette swaps.

Otherwise, putting it on/taking it off as a taunt works just fine. Robin has too much sweg.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Nevermind I guess you might be able to have the dark attacks as jabs as well.

Knowing Fire Emblem and how Magic work Flux will be the base level for the dark magic for jabs. Idk how i would feel about jabs that heal so imma say Flux will be for base tilts and jabs

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Well, as I mentioned, you may be able to switch tomes during other actions, and any A move that uses the tome (so far just jab I believe) will change because of that
but if it a command grab and mapped to side b maybe down lets robin replenish his tome after it breaks

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
but if it a command grab and mapped to side b maybe down lets robin replenish his tome after it breaks
But then you dont have enough buttons for the Tomes. The four elements are mapped to a different button, that I'm 100% sure of.

Top Bottom