• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
You're right, it's just a theory. I don't think it's like Pikmin, though, I think It's like PT (just so we're clear).

I think the tome automatically switches upon casting the spell of choice, and remains that color until a different spell is cast.
Oh I know, I was just putting it out there (the Pikmin thing, hehe.) Female Robin is shown doing just that - switching books automatically depending on the attack you use. Watch it in slow motion, the book goes from red to yellow in less than a second. Meaning, no "tome switching" commands would have been used.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm pretty positive that we'll get a palette swap representing the design of the Sage class.

It would be nice to have an alt that looks more like Morgan.
Morgan would need to be shorter with how young he/she is in my opinion. And with that, issues arise.

I wonder if the costume will just change colors.
With many characters getting alt costumes, I'd like to think that we'd get something based on Robin's class change options.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@ Hokori Hokori

I would like to nominate @ Neo Zero Neo Zero 's Tome theory (addition to OP)

And make a request that my own Sword Theory be added to the OP:

I believe that Robin will spawn with the Levin Sword, and after a certain number of attacks the Levin Sword breaks, causing Robin to switch to the Bronze Sword, which keeping in line with the canon of FE, will last much longer than the Levin Sword (meaning it will not break ever in Smash). When Robin switches to the Bronze Sword, again in keeping with FE canon, her sword strikes will do noticeably less damage than when she had the Levin Sword since the Bronze Sword has much less Might.

@ Neo Zero Neo Zero

I would like to especially commend your theory, it makes sense and falls in line with the fact that Robin switched tomes and then immediately performed Arcthunder at 2:42 in the trailer. It makes more sense to me than the original idea I had that a special move would be taken for Robin to switch between books.

:)
D'aww, thank you. Your sword theory sounds likely too (though I could see it being the opposite, start with the bad sword, get the good sword when it breaks)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
@ Hokori Hokori

I would like to nominate @ Neo Zero Neo Zero 's Tome theory (addition to OP)

And make a request that my own Sword Theory be added to the OP:

I believe that Robin will spawn with the Levin Sword, and after a certain number of attacks the Levin Sword breaks, causing Robin to switch to the Bronze Sword, which keeping in line with the canon of FE, will last much longer than the Levin Sword (meaning it will not break ever in Smash). When Robin switches to the Bronze Sword, again in keeping with FE canon, her sword strikes will do noticeably less damage than when she had the Levin Sword since the Bronze Sword has much less Might.
I agree. I connected with all of the points made since I shared the same feelings/ideas. Will add the theory in the near future :)

Also, @The Soulless One I do agree with @ Neo Zero Neo Zero as far as your Sword usage idea goes. I could throw that in as well (copy the portion where you discuss how Robin would use swords).

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
It feels really nice to break out this avatar again. And to have a reason to break it out, obviously.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
For easy work purposes, I think hooded Robin is a given. Or at the least you can toggle it on with a taunt. People who play League of Legends and know of Nighthunter Rengar will understand what Im talking about.

Morbi

Scavenger
It feels really nice to break out this avatar again. And to have a reason to break it out, obviously.
I did not even realize that you changed avatars... I probably did not realize you were you without it. That being said, I want to switch back to my Avatar avatar, but Adam Blade is too kawaii senpai desu-ka. I could always pretend that he is Robin. But at the same time, I do not want to be some poser that changes to a Robin avatar because she was revealed... but at the other same time... she was my most wanted and I get +1000 speculation points for predicting her. So maybe it is justified without making me look like a complete and utter tool?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

D'aww, thank you. Your sword theory sounds likely too (though I could see it being the opposite, start with the bad sword, get the good sword when it breaks)
That would certainly be interesting, I would definitely think it would be cool if Robin is either the Strong Start (my idea) or Slow Start (your idea) type in addition to having excellent projectile options.

Strong/Slow Start meaning that she will be a threat really early (weakening as the fight goes on) or a threat the longer she is alive, respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm fairly sure this is how his B moves work now

Neutral B: Thunder- Can be charged between four different levels, Thunder, El Thunder, Arc Thunder and Thoron. Likely uses more durability the higher the charge.

Up B: El Wind- Standard Recovery, shoots two projectiles below as he pushes himself up

Down B: Nosferatu- Command grab, deals damage while draining life, healing Robin

Side B: Arc Fire- Casts a fireball angled downward. Explodes on contact, leaves a lingering flame similar to PK Fire

Also on terms of his tome switching, my theory is Robin can switch tomes freely during any animation, so as to allow him to switch to different tomes to change his A attacks that use tomes. Also I believe when a tome is all used up, you drop it using the input, then use the input again to generate a new book to use. Each tome has seperate durability from each other. May be able to drop a tome early somehow.

As for Levin sword, I don't know what determines he gets that, as it's not a B move.
Do you think after the durability of the Thunder line tomes have been used up that the player must wait until they are K.O'd to replenish their uses?

There is also custom moves to consider in this trailer too. The thunder spells could different specials.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Do you think after the durability of the Thunder line tomes have been used up that the player must wait until they are K.O'd to replenish their uses?

There is also custom moves to consider in this trailer too. The thunder spells could different specials.
Well we see Robin drop a tome in the trailer. That alone suggests to me you can reget them on the same stock. After all, could you imagine running out of your wind tome to then have no recovery? That's be very stupid, so I'm confident you discard the broken book/summon a new book the same way.

We see Robin is able to charge the Thunder tome all the way to Thoron. It's all built into one special, like Aura Sphere or Charge Shot.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I did not even realize that you changed avatars... I probably did not realize you were you without it. That being said, I want to switch back to my Avatar avatar, but Adam Blade is too kawaii senpai desu-ka. I could always pretend that he is Robin. But at the same time, I do not want to be some poser that changes to a Robin avatar because she was revealed... but at the other same time... she was my most wanted and I get +1000 speculation points for predicting her. So maybe it is justified without making me look like a complete and utter tool?
So, I'm the guy with the fem!Robin avatar? Cool. If you had the avatar at some point before hir reveal, I feel its fine (but then again, bias because I did it). I really don't think it's a 'tool' move in the first place, a character you liked got confirmed, celebrate!

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I had the same theory as neo...

I think The sword will start out as the bronze sword and then change into the levin sword. He does say he brought it if his tomes break he still can use it. it wouldnt make sense for the sword to break before the tomes.

I don't think the custom special moves will appear in the trailer as they havent in any other aside from Palutena and Mii fighters who have 12 unique moves.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
But seriously the voice acting tho

I don't care if Matthew Mercer voices a playable character anymore. I'm high on Robin.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
That would certainly be interesting, I would definitely think it would be cool if Robin is either the Strong Start (my idea) or Slow Start (your idea) type in addition to having excellent projectile options.

Strong/Slow Start meaning that she will be a threat really early (weakening as the fight goes on) or a threat the longer she is alive, respectively.
The Strong start wouldn't actually surprise me. Who knows, Sakurai might have wanted Robin to be a counterpart to Lucario, in that (s)he gets weaker as the battle goes on instead of stronger.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, I'm the guy with the fem!Robin avatar? Cool. If you had the avatar at some point before hir reveal, I feel its fine (but then again, bias because I did it). I really don't think it's a 'tool' move in the first place, a character you liked got confirmed, celebrate!
Nope, I just changed my avatar right now. I've been wanting to use this for quite some time, but during those weeks I didn't think I would ever use it. Also, I told myself if we didn't get Shulk today, then I would have changed my avatar of Charizard to that newcomer.

I am so glad it turned out to be Robin. ;__;

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I had the same theory as neo...

I think The sword will start out as the bronze sword and then change into the levin sword. He does say he brought it if his tomes break he still can use it. it wouldnt make sense for the sword to break before the tomes.

I don't think the custom special moves will appear in the trailer as they havent in any other aside from Palutena and Mii fighters who have 12 unique moves.
AGH I FORGOT.
I'm sorry...

@ Hokori Hokori please give credit also to @ ToastMiller ToastMiller for the Tome Theory, I forgot that he and @ Neo Zero Neo Zero were running with a very similar idea.

@ ToastMiller ToastMiller 's original contribution to the Tome Theory, for reference:

It seems as the your move choices are not limited to the color of the book you are using. I feel the book is pure aesthetic.
So in other words all attacks are open to you and you book will change just based on the attack you are currently using/used last

However when the spell tomes might run out based on the tome color. So you can use up all your thunder tome and keep using a fire tome

Palutena and the Mii Fighters are the only ones with outrageously different custom special moves. The rest of the cast selects from slightly different choices. I guess it is slightly possible that Robin is another character to add to this list, however I think this is extremely unlikely

It seems most probably that:

:GCB: is The thunder tome, chargable and able to retain charge like samus' neutB

:GCR::GCB: is Arc fire. acts like ness's PKF

:GCU::GCB: is the windy move.

:GCD::GCB: is that dark magic move

Folt

Smash Ace
Basically.
There's way too much **** this guy has to even begin digging into him. All i'm gonna say is it looks like he packs a **** ton of utlity with those diffirent tomes. Like jesus. ****ing el wind has so much range and drags him upwards, he's got a fairly fast siphon move, a variety of projectiles, and i'm assuming each spell type gets 4 different moves like his lightning tomes did.

So
4 dark specials (Nosferatu and then possibly either Ruin, Flux, Waste, Goetia, Mire)
4 lightning specials (Thunder, El thunder, Arc thunder, Thorrane)
4 wind specials (Wind, El wind, Arc Wind, Rexcalibur)
and 4 fire specials (Fire, el Fire, Arc fire, Bolganone)

Also I guess there's some **** about him even switching between his levin sword and bronze sword?! Okay.

Like **** Robin, tone it down.

What i'm most curious about is his dark type moves, sense in the original game they all carried some kinda weird effect to accompany them, like Nosferatu being able to heal.

For those who arn't familiar with em.....

-------------------------------------

Ruin - Has terrible accuracy, but an OBSCENELY high crit rating that let it's damage get doubled half the time. Basically a luck based move.

Mire - Low damage but longest range move in the game BY FAR. Like. 4 times longer ranger then other ranged weapons. Basically lets mages snipe from perfect safety away.

Waste - A move that strikes twice. Not sure how this will translate to something that interesting in smash though.

Goetia - Highest damaging tome in the game in the form of a delays explosion of dark lightning.

Flux - No special trait, Although the animation sends a shadow that crawls through the ground until it hits it's enemy then rises upwards to do damage. Could be kinda neat.

--------------------------------------

Okay. Sorry for the colossal sloppy *** post, but, that's all I got. This character looks interesting as hell without being too overly complex and I wanna learn him. To many neat characters right now.

Edit:

I love how beefy that hitstun is. This character just looks so satisfying.
If you want my take on how the other dark spells could work, here's how I'd do them:

Flux: The basic dark attack, so I'd imagine it'd be the first charge (or the first thing in a cycle) of a dark special, or a standard tilt. Given its animation, maybe a down tilt? Does good damage and flings them far. Close-range.

Ruin: A sweet-spot attack like Luigi's Up B or Jigglypuff's Rest is what I think this should be. Hitting with the cross does little damage, but if you hit with the middle of it, it will send the opponent flying. Also a close-range spell.

Waste: A 2-hit combo attack. I'm thinking the first one maybe knocks the opponent down while the other launches them. Either way, I think it'd be a close-range spell.

Goetia: The most powerful dark attack. I'd imagine it'd be the on the end of a charge or cycle. It could be a crowd-control spell centered at or close to Robin maybe. Then again, maybe not.

I'd also prefer if all of them are close-range attacks. The only tome I haven't listed is Mire as I have no idea how that one would be done. It could also be that none of the other dark spells are in the game, but at least we have Nosferatu which is probably one of the most recurring FE spells in the series.

The only thing I truly am sure of regarding Robin is that he has a preference for lightning.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I personally like the strong end theory, rather than strong start (although strong start would make more sense in terms of Fire Emblem mechanics). What if when you exhaust a tome you gain access to the Levin Sword, and then regain access to the tome after using the input again, but then you regain access to the Levin Sword each time a tome is exhausted, encouraging liberal usage of the tomes?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well we see Robin drop a tome in the trailer. That alone suggests to me you can reget them on the same stock. After all, could you imagine running out of your wind tome to then have no recovery? That's be very stupid, so I'm confident you discard the broken book/summon a new book the same way.
It sounds stupid, but Robin wouldn't be the first to have his recovery dependent on a condition.
Examples: :4olimar: and:4lucario:

Maybe you won't loose the ability to recovery and maybe the effectiveness of your recovery may be dampened. Also it's worth noting you only see him casting his thunder tome.

This is also the thunder progression.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Nosferatu has always healed the spellcaster using it whenever it does damage to someone so I kinda expected it.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
AGH I FORGOT.
I'm sorry...

@ Hokori Hokori please give credit also to @ ToastMiller ToastMiller for the Tome Theory, I forgot that he and @ Neo Zero Neo Zero were running with a very similar idea.

@ ToastMiller ToastMiller 's original contribution to the Tome Theory, for reference:
Yeah, I re-read through the thread and was intending on giving @ ToastMiller ToastMiller credit, I just forgot to edit my other post :p

If you want my take on how the other dark spells could work, here's how I'd do them:

Flux: The basic dark attack, so I'd imagine it'd be the first charge (or the first thing in a cycle) of a dark special, or a standard tilt. Given its animation, maybe a down tilt? Does good damage and flings them far. Close-range.

Ruin: A sweet-spot attack like Luigi's Up B or Jigglypuff's Rest is what I think this should be. Hitting with the cross does little damage, but if you hit with the middle of it, it will send the opponent flying. Also a close-range spell.

Waste: A 2-hit combo attack. I'm thinking the first one maybe knocks the opponent down while the other launches them. Either way, I think it'd be a close-range spell.

Goetia: The most powerful dark attack. I'd imagine it'd be the on the end of a charge or cycle. It could be a crowd-control spell centered at or close to Robin maybe. Then again, maybe not.

I'd also prefer if all of them are close-range attacks. The only tome I haven't listed is Mire as I have no idea how that one would be done. It could also be that none of the other dark spells are in the game, but at least we have Nosferatu which is probably one of the most recurring FE spells in the series.

The only thing I truly am sure of regarding Robin is that he has a preference for lightning.
I actually shared ideas for Dark magic in the former Robin support thread (now social) and yeah, this is pretty much what I had in mind. But I do feel as though Nosferatu will be the only rep for Dark Tome spells we'll have.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think it sounds more like a balance thing. If your tombs brake, Robin pulls out a better sword. That said It might just seem that way to me because I like that better than the strong start or slow start ideas.

That said I would say the 'tipping the scales' tag line fits the balance idea better. If magic is stronger, melee is weaker and vise versa.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hmm....I find it strange that Robin would need to exchange tomes, especially since it seems as if the tomes are the special moves. Elwind=^B Thunder(Charge)=StandardB Elfire=>B

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i do hope there is a way to regain the use of tomes without losing a stock if thats how tomes work but robin looks fun and i cant wait to try him out

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Hmm....I find it strange that Robin would need to exchange tomes, especially since it seems as if the tomes are the special moves. Elwind=^B Thunder(Charge)=StandardB Elfire=>B
You make a good point... needing to replace the tomb seems like a pretty punishing system that is perhaps not in keeping with smash bros. (especially if it ruins your up b)

So here is my new idea!

-There is no braking, and there is only one tomb (it just changes color and cover)
-The more its used, the weaker your magic becomes. (maybe in three stages)
--something like there are 8 uses, stronger attacks (heres looking at you, thoron) take much more (like 4, for thoron)
--- <4 is middle power, 0 is lowest power (just example numbers to explain what I'm talking about)
-When you get to the weakest stage of magic, you pull out the levin sword and all your physical attacks are powered up.
-one of your taunts (this is likely the P:M in me talking) is to throw away your old tomb and pull a new one, starting over with full power magic, and returning to using the bronze sword.

B attacks are the same formation as we mostly seem to agree make sense...

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
You make a good point... needing to replace the tomb seems like a pretty punishing system that is perhaps not in keeping with smash bros. (especially if it ruins your up b)

So here is my new idea!

-There is no braking, and there is only one tomb (it just changes color and cover)
--something like there are 8 uses, stronger attacks (heres looking at you, thoron) take much more (like 4, for thoron)
--- <4 is middle power, 0 is lowest power (just example numbers to explain what I'm talking about)
-When you get to the weakest stage of magic, you pull out the levin sword and all your physical attacks are powered up.
-one of your taunts (this is likely the P:M in me talking) is to throw away your old tomb and pull a new one, starting over with full power magic, and returning to using the bronze sword.
Hmm....but what if the tomes are an actual item, and they actually need to be tossed to pick up another item or use another tome? I mean, think about it...Robin has no hands available to use items otherwise. It actually....fits. o.o I think I got it figured out!

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Hmm....but what if the tomes are an actual item, and they actually need to be tossed to pick up another item or use another tome? I mean, think about it...Robin has no hands available to use items otherwise. It actually....fits. o.o I think I got it figured out!
My problem with that idea is that you see Robin grab a person with a tomb, and normally the grab button (z) discards any item you are holding.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

So here is my new idea!

B attacks are the same formation as we mostly seem to agree make sense...
I'm pretty sure after a certain amount of magic uses, you'll just need to "reload" your book, sort of like how Snake has to reload his dart pistol in P:M. I assume Levin Sword will work the same way where you're able to pull it when you want, but it will instead use a cooldown before you can pull it again, unlike the tome which can be reloaded at will

Edit: Also pretty confident that the tome doesnt work like a normal item, it probably uses the same effects for convienvence. It does dissapear the instant it hits the ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom