• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
And that's England out of the Rugby World Cup. Fair play to Australia.
C'mon Ireland!

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
In regards to RAR and auto-canceling:

RAR = reverse aerial rush. Run in one direction, quickly turn the other direction, jump, than input an attack. This is most commonly used with a back air so that you can use a back air while originally facing your opponent. For Robin, another application is to use RAR bar after arcfire, which can score you a relatively early ko near the ledge if uair won't kill.

Auto-cancels, as the name sort of implies, occur automatically for certain aerials. But it's not random and/or may require a specific way of using an aerial. For Robin, bair, nair, and fair all auto-cancels out of a short-hop as long as you don't land INTO the ground with it. Doing a fair while rising out of a short hop, for example, will auto-cancels and that is probably what you were doing. Robin can also do falling uair with fairly minimal amounts of lag as well.
Thanks! I really appreciate you telling me in the inputs. :) RAR sounds a lot easier to do when you put it like that lol. When you do a RAR will it look like you are still doing a bair but your hit box will just be in front of you?

If you auto-cancel a fair does that mean you don't have to fast fall afterwards? Oh and I thought the fair that goes in to the ground was an auto-cancel by the way lol.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Thanks! I really appreciate you telling me in the inputs. :) RAR sounds a lot easier to do when you put it like that lol. When you do a RAR will it look like you are still doing a bair but your hit box will just be in front of you?

If you auto-cancel a fair does that mean you don't have to fast fall afterwards? Oh and I thought the fair that goes in to the ground was an auto-cancel by the way lol.
If you do the RAR well and quickly, then yes, it will look like the hit box of your bair will be just in front of you. Nairo, for example, practically makes Zero Suit's bair look like a fair. RAR bair is technically not that hard to do, but it will take practice to do it do it well.

No, you don't have to fast fall afterwards for Robin's auto-cancel (it will be different for other characters). Having said that, and someone should correct me if I'm wrong, I think you can still fast fall a bit for it to auto-cancels, which is ideal since it will speed up your weaving and spacing game. And to be clear, when I say fall into the ground with an aerial, I basically mean when you fall into ground without letting, let's say levin fair, the attack complete it's animation. (So for example if you do fair and land into the ground before Robin actually pulls the sword back).

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Nah Nah , if you didn't find something worthwhile from the matches we had, then I think it's because I didn't play very well. I apologise for that, I didn't play to the best of my ability and made a ton of mistakes. I wasn't a very good teacher.

That said, here's what you're going to do to become a better player.

You're going to find one thing about your playstyle that you dislike or think needs improvement, and you're going to dedicate yourself to resolving that issue. Just one thing. It doesn't matter how simple or complex, just pick something you think you need to improve on - a move, a tech, a skill, a mental block, whatever you want. Then you're going to bear that one thing in mind in every match you play until you feel confident that you've improved in that respect.

My confidence is better than it's ever been these past few days. I've played some great games and I want to keep playing to get even better.

Know how I did it?

I began to use b-air and f-tilt in my gameplay more.

It's so simple, but it never occurred to me until recently. I decided to move out of my comfort zone and try something different. Now I feel I have a much deeper knowledge of Pit's moveset and how to optimise my performance. It's taught me to play more patiently, to walk instead of run, to play the neutral game more efficiently and all that jazzmatazz. It's a very simple change, yet it's had massive benefits on my gameplay. It's wonderful.

That's what you need to do. Find something that challenges you and forces you out of your comfort zone. If you become complacent and tell yourself, "I can't do this. This is impossible", then it will be impossible. Quite frankly, the reason you suck is because you don't think you can't suck. And that's a bad mentality to have. You've become so comfortable with how you play that you're missing out on other good options that might just make you revise how you play.

If you want to discover how to get better today, then here you go. This is the best advice I can offer you. It's helped me become a stronger fighter, and I think it will do the same for you too - but only if you want it to.

I can't make you a better player, but I can help you make yourself a better player.

Hope that's good~ :3

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Yeah, I assumed it wasn't something that a person would learn instantly. I'd need to implement it in to my game play too, but I'll keep that in mind next time I land a arc fire. :)

Oh, that's what it is. Is there any advantage to not having the animation of the fair complete?

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
1. Yeah, I assumed it wasn't something that a person would learn instantly. I'd need to implement it in to my game play too, but I'll keep that in mind next time I land a arc fire. :)

2. Oh, that's what it is. Is there any advantage to not having the animation of the fair complete?
1. Yeah, just keep in mind that uair and fair are still very good options after arcfire and often times better, especially center stage. In my opinion, arc fire to rar bair really shines when you want to go for the horizontal ko, especially near the ledge.

2. Sometimes that's the only way to hit your opponent and it's still a way to diversify your weaving. For example, if you do a rising full hop fair and if that whiffs and your opponent is running towards you, you may be able to swat them away with a falling fair or nair. If you land into the ground with the attack, it won't auto-cancel but that won't matter if you successfully hit the opponent. Just make sure to mix it up since non-autocancelled aerials are of course way easier to punish than auto-cancelled ones.

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
1. Yeah, just keep in mind that uair and fair are still very good options after arcfire and often times better, especially center stage. In my opinion, arc fire to rar bair really shines when you want to go for the horizontal ko, especially near the ledge.

2. Sometimes that's the only way to hit your opponent and it's still a way to diversify your weaving. For example, if you do a rising full hop fair and if that whiffs and your opponent is running towards you, you may be able to swat them away with a falling fair or nair. If you land into the ground with the attack, it won't auto-cancel but that won't matter if you successfully hit the opponent. Just make sure to mix it up since non-autocancelled aerials are of course way easier to punish than auto-cancelled ones.
1. That's what I was thinking about using it for too.

2. Oh for some reason I thought it was a good thing that you don't complete your Levin sword animation lol; that's good to take note of. Thanks for all the tips!

Now that I think about it... I think you posted a video a while back showing how to do a lot of advanced techniques didn't you?

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
1. That's what I was thinking about using it for too.

2. Oh for some reason I thought it was a good thing that you don't complete your Levin sword animation lol; that's good to take note of. Thanks for all the tips!

Now that I think about it... I think you posted a video a while back showing how to do a lot of advanced techniques didn't you?
Haha, I'm quite flattered but I'm afraid I have never did such a thing in my life. Not even technologically literate enough to do that. I'm pretty technologically advanced though compared to many of my colleagues, which, and I say this with love, says more about my colleagues than me.

Nah

Smash Champion
Wintropy Wintropy I didn't mean specifically the matches we had today, I meant all matches I've had where I get beaten. No need to apologize.

And I really have no ideas at all on how exactly to fix the problems I can identify with my play

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Guess Robin isn't bottom 10 anymore :secretkpop:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wintropy Wintropy I didn't mean specifically the matches we had today, I meant all matches I've had where I get beaten. No need to apologize.

And I really have no ideas at all on how exactly to fix the problems I can identify with my play
I know, but I wanted to help you and I don't think I did a very good job.

Okay then, I'll tell you what to do:

Practice catching your tomes.

Every time you eject a tome, try to catch it immediately. Next time you're in training mode, keep doing that until you get to grips with it.

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
I know, but I wanted to help you and I don't think I did a very good job.

Okay then, I'll tell you what to do:

Practice catching your tomes.

Every time you eject a tome, try to catch it immediately. Next time you're in training mode, keep doing that until you get to grips with it.
tfw you forget to pick up your dropped item and your opponent runs in to it. :happysheep:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So? I main him, you got a problem kiddo?

You wanna go?
No Hong against Little Mac(though I wonder how Doc Louis would be like if he was playable sometimes), plus I can't play today anyways, wrestling reasons.

It's just that Shofu got dair spiked and then shorthopped by a Little Mac while playing as Fox, and you made a comment about Shofu with a Little Mac profile pic.

Also the quitting comment

Matsushi

True Blood
OKAY OKAY OKAY today was amazing~

I made it out of pools and into the pro bracket which was absolutely lovely! I had soooooo much support from everyone for being new to offline tourneys which was AWESOME, and I didn't think I was gonna be streamed three times! I'm just so excited for tomorrow.

Also, I managed to get some friendlies with Mr. R! It was such an honour, like I was literally like !!!!!! wow I'm actually doing this!!!
I also slipped a selfie with him~

And damn, people saying I'm Nairo's sister? WOW, oh damn~

I managed to catch up a little bit with Big House, congratulations @Raziek for reaching 33rd place! That really is something. And I heard ZeRo dropped a set, never thought I'd see the day!

But yeah, thank you all so much for the support! :drohyou:

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I made it out of pools and into the pro bracket which was absolutely lovely! I had soooooo much support from everyone for being new to offline tourneys which was AWESOME, and I didn't think I was gonna be streamed three times! I'm just so excited for tomorrow.

Also, I managed to get some friendlies with Mr. R! It was such an honour, like I was literally like !!!!!! wow I'm actually doing this!!!

I managed to catch up a little bit with Big House, congratulation @Raziek for reaching 33rd place! That really is something. And I heard ZeRo dropped a set, never thought I'd see the day!

That's incredible! I'd be so happy if I got to fight (probably) the best player in Europe!

Apologies for not catching the tournament, dear, I was busy with other stuff and things. Will it be uploaded on Youtube? :3

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I managed to catch up a little bit with Big House, congratulation @Raziek for reaching 33rd place! That really is something. And I heard ZeRo dropped a set, never thought I'd see the day!

You did great along with Raz and the others. Gonna be watching you guys on Tourney Locator.

Also, you're wayyyy too cute with that smile and braces. Your looks can easily kill

Matsushi

True Blood
That's incredible! I'd be so happy if I got to fight (probably) the best player in Europe!

Apologies for not catching the tournament, dear, I was busy with other stuff and things. Will it be uploaded on Youtube? :3
Thank you so much!! And no worries, I'll be playing tomorrow! Not sure if I'll be on stream though, but I'll let you all know if I happen to be on~
You did great along with Raz and the others. Gonna be watching you guys on Tourney Locator.

Also, you're wayyyy too cute with that smile and braces. Your looks can easily kill
Ayyyy, thank you, thank you!!! My braces have been causing me a lot of trouble lately, but I'll be getting them off soon which is neato.

ALSO

Mr. R noticed me. I am... I'm okay. :halfsheep:

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
Thank you so much!! And no worries, I'll be playing tomorrow! Not sure if I'll be on stream though, but I'll let you all know if I happen to be on~

Ayyyy, thank you, thank you!!! My braces have been causing me a lot of trouble lately, but I'll be getting them off soon which is neato.

ALSO

Senpai noticed you!! :starman::colorful:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

ALSO

Ha ha! That is BALLER~!

You're 16?

Christ, I'm getting old...

D

Deleted member

Anyone wanna play some Smash with me?

I managed to catch up a little bit with Big House, congratulations @Raziek for reaching 33rd place! That really is something. And I heard ZeRo dropped a set, never thought I'd see the day!

Congrats! :D I'm proud of you!
Impressive job getting out of pools!
Also, you're pretty cute. :)
And you're 16? I'm... I'm getting old.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871

I think I'm available right now.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Ha ha! That is BALLER~!

You're 16?

Christ, I'm getting old...

Neither of you get to say that when I'm around.

Also, congrats Matsushi Matsushi ! I very much enjoyed your play and found myself yelling at my laptop things like "Kick his @** Matsu!" "3 stock that fool!"

Matsushi

True Blood
Aw, thank you so much! It means a lot~

Hah! No one knew I was 16, I'd love to hear what you all presumed I was~
I'm feeling old and I'm only 17...
WELL, I will be turning 17 very soon if that makes you feel any better.
Being this proficient at smash is pretty impressive at 16, keep at it Matsu!!! I remember being a short nerd who jobbed at smash at that age so...
Awww, thank you! I'll be sure to keep at it, especially since I've still got a long way to go!

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
Aw, thank you so much! It means a lot~

Hah! No one knew I was 16, I'd love to hear what you all presumed I was~

WELL, I will be turning 17 very soon if that makes you feel any better.

Awww, thank you! I'll be sure to keep at it, especially since I've still got a long way to go!
You could probably go far if you keep it up and balance it evenly with studies and such!

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Y'know, after looking at BH5 and other tourneys, official or otherwise and the placings that @Raziek , @Delta Fist , and others have earned since I first came to these boards, all of the battles I have had with you guys and complete strangers, and other things that don't seem to come to mind at the moment I now have confirmed to myself how I am as a Smash Player:

I am not a skilled Smash player.

But I don't suck either. I have always viewed myself as the "Entertaining Player" (I'll think of a possible better title later).

I'm that player that people will say "I want to play this guy again!" after a match. I'm that player who's wins and losses are as predictable as the tide but I am skilled enough to hold my own and I always make sure I give my opponents a good match. For example:

I made Nah Nah anxious with my G&W, Wintropy Wintropy said my Tink was "scurry", and I made TMNTSSB4 TMNTSSB4 fall in love with Bowser again.

I don't care if I win or lose, I love having fun with everyone I have a match with and I take pride in making people go "Oh **** oh ****!" during a match with me.

So there you go. I'm not a pro. I'm not a casual. I am an "Entertaining Player" (I DO need to find a better title than that...).

Matsushi Matsushi Congrats on your wins! I hope you had fun. I love reading Mr. R's tweet about you saying how a 16 year old girl was bodying everyone, made me chuckle every time I read it.

On a side note, now I know what you look like and I can add you along with Raz, Winny, and The Soulless One to people I have seen what they look like IRL on this site. Be glad your braces are coming off soon, it's a great feeling when they come off.

Last edited:

Matsushi

True Blood
I'm turning 18 in a few days, so...
Wait. I just realized that I'm turning 18 soon. I feel like I've been 17 for forever.
Are you gonna wish you were 17 again???
Also, congrats Matsushi Matsushi ! I very much enjoyed your play and found myself yelling at my laptop things like "Kick his @** Matsu!" "3 stock that fool!"
Awwwh, thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed my play and that you supported me. :drsad:You should've heard my sister in the background, she was going nuts!
You could probably go far if you keep it up and balance it evenly with studies and such!
Sure, sure! I can balance all of that.. I think! Well, education comes first, but I'm sure I can evenly balance it with some Smashu + other video games as well~

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I will never forget what my ex-girlfriend told me many moons ago:

"Oh my god, you're gonna be twenty soon. That's half of forty. Your life is over at forty."

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
So, the recap:

Beat Zero's Sheik game 1, checkmate him twice. Lost the next 2 games to his Diddy.

Beat Shofu Fox 2-1.

Beat KingJames 's Dedede 2-1.

Lost to Static Manny 0-2, placing 33rd. I'm super proud of how I did.
A little late, but MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS to your incredible performance man! I didn't get a chance to see you play (can't wait to see those replays!), but it sounds like you did an amazing job showing off the power of the tacticians!

Edit*

Also major congrats to you as well Matsushi Matsushi !!!!

CONGRATULATE, ALL THE PEOPLE! LOL

:happysheep:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Y'know, after looking at BH5 and other tourneys, official or otherwise and the placings that @Raziek , @Delta Fist , and others have earned since I first came to these boards, all of the battles I have had with you guys and complete strangers, and other things that don't seem to come to mind at the moment I now have confirmed to myself how I am as a Smash Player:

I am not a skilled Smash player.

But I don't suck either. I have always viewed myself as the "Entertaining Player" (I'll think of a possible better title later).

I'm that player that people will say "I want to play this guy again!" after a match. I'm that player who's wins and losses are as predictable as the tide but I am skilled enough to hold my own and I always make sure I give my opponents a good match. For example:

I made Nah Nah anxious with my G&W, Wintropy Wintropy said my Tink was "scurry", and I made TMNTSSB4 TMNTSSB4 fall in love with Bowser again.

I don't care if I win or lose, I love having fun with everyone I have a match with and I take pride in making people go "Oh **** oh ****!" during a match with me.

So there you go. I'm not a pro. I'm not a casual. I am an "Entertaining Player" (I DO need to find a better title than that...).

Matsushi Matsushi Congrats on your wins! I hope you had fun. I love reading Mr. R's tweet about you saying how a 16 year old girl was bodying everyone, made me chuckle every time I read it.

On a side note, now I know what you look like and I can add you along with Raz, Winny, and The Soulless One to people I have seen what they look like IRL on this site. Be glad your braces are coming off soon, it's a great feeling when they come off.
I've never hated Bowser though...

It's against America to hate Bowser

Last edited:
Top Bottom