• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I feel like on these forums I never really post outside of socials, mostly because I feel like I don't know enough about the game to give my input. I think I'm going to try and suck less at smash.
Also I just looked at the pools. Raziek is facing off against ZeRo right off the bat (not sure if it will be streamed). Best of luck Raz, I'll always be cheering you on.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I feel like on these forums I never really post outside of socials, mostly because I feel like I don't know enough about the game to give my input. I think I'm going to try and suck less at smash.
Also I just looked at the pools. Raziek is facing off against ZeRo right off the bat (not sure if it will be streamed). Best of luck Raz, I'll always be cheering you on.
Oh yeah he told us a few posts back.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay, @Nah, here's the rundown of what I have to say~

First off, I don't think you're terrible. You have solid fundamentals for the most part and you seem to understand your characters to a respectable degree - enough to keep me on my toes, at least. It's a definite improvement from the first time we had a scrap. I can tell you're serious about getting better, and you demonstrated that well!

In terms of critique, I have a few things to point out (note that I am definitely guilty of some, if not most or all, of these things, so I'm not singling you out here):

You don't seem to focus on the "big picture", you just take every step one at a time. It's good to keep track of what you're doing, but if you don't have a gameplan in the macro sense, you can very easily fall apart under pressure. You definitely had some good setups there and you strategised well for the most part, but when I weaved through your defenses, it wasn't that difficult to gain momentum.

You need to THINK ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU DO: why am I using this move? What do I hope to gain from it? Is it a good option to cover my opponent's options? What if it doesn't work, what's my backup plan? I think you had a pretty good idea of what to do in most situations we were in, but sometimes you seemed to panic and - to quote Raziek - you just hit buttons to try to keep me out. For a character who relies on micromanagement and organisational strategy to the extent that Robin does, that can be suicide, especially when faced with a punish-heavy character like Pit who will exploit every weakness you display.

I don't think you made good use of combos or followups. I know Robin isn't exactly the combo queen, but she has good setups (hell, she's made of setups) and followups, especially off of grab. Getting the grab is difficult, but the reward can be immense. I don't think I ever saw you use Checkmate or any real d-throw followups, which is a shame, because you punished me very well with grab when you got in.

Defensively, you need to mix it up. Very often I managed to just run in and dash attack you, which shouldn't be happening that much. You don't need to approach, per se, Robin's great at keeping folks out, but you need to have a Plan B in case somebody does get in. This ties back to what I said about considering the impact of your moves and keeping a strong contingency plan: if I can get in and put pressure on you, you're in a very difficult spot. That being said, when I tried to get in and you did evade and punish, you did it very effectively with grab, retreating f-air, d-smash and even a few Nosferatus - if you can optimise your ability to evade and punish your opponent's aggressive options, you can definitely mitigate one of Robin's biggest weaknesses.

Your tech skill needs improvement. This is definitely secondary to good fundamentals, but there's so much cool stuff Robin can do that you didn't, which may well have sealed a few of my stocks. You need to get better at catching tomes when they'e ejected, using the tomes as weapons effectively, switching between the Levin and Bronze swords and going for Elwind spikes. Just small things can make a big difference if you know how to use it at the right time!

In terms of tech, you did a few things very well. You switched between wind jab and fire jab at the right times depending on the situation (wind to frametrap and rack up damage, fire to get off-stage and kill), made very good use of your airs (the getup f-air was beautiful and you punished my descent options with u-air very nicely), got some very nice punishes with Nosferatu (seriously, work on that, you're so good at it) and made good use of Elwind in conjunction with the platforms on Battlefield to keep me out. Good stuff, but you can do so much more if you practice!

The final thing I want to say, and this is probably the most important: you seem to get frustrated and disenchanted when you get beaten. I know exactly how that feels. You put the effort in, you know you're good with this character, you know the theory and you've got everything planned out - and then it just falls apart. Your confidence dies and you don't even know what to do, you just switch off and hope you don't get beaten too badly. I felt this towards the end of our set, I couldn't focus and made stupid mistakes - I could see myself making the mistakes, but I couldn't think about how to fix them. Yet I persevered and pulled it back. I conceded that I was upset, but being upset wouldn't help me win or get better, so I told myself to keep playing and do my best. You said it yourself, the best way to improve is to get beaten and ask for advice: if you discover something from your defeat, then it isn't really a defeat, it's a small victory in a clever disguise.

You have the innate skill and the drive to be a great player, you're not a lost cause and you can be incredible if you set your mind to it, but you need to overcome this psychological side of it first. Competition is half physical effort and half solid mindset. You have the former, but I'm not sure about the latter. I hope that this feedback helps you get better in that sense, because I want to see what you can do and I know you've got it in you to do just that.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I haven't been keeping up with TBH5 as of yet but will keep watching and rooting for our RST heroes.

Also rocking all pink, all month for Breast Cancer Awareness month. Doing it for a nice cause.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Random thought: A college university could be a nice setting for a closed area horror game, really, like one of old school Resi Evil games.

Numerous buildings to sneak around in and hide. Dorm areas and the clinic for health spots and item pickups. Bosses at the university's football stadium, top floors of the tallest buildings, sanctums of the libraries, etc. Why haven't game devs considered this?

D

Deleted member

I haven't been watching BH5 to be honest.
While hype, I think it's a bit irrelevant to me with the patches.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I haven't been watching BH5 to be honest.
While hype, I think it's a bit irrelevant to me with the patches.
How's 1.1.1 been treatin' ya?

That isn't a snide quip, I'm genuinely interested in your opinion on Luigi. That was a pretty intense nerf. Is he still doing well?

D

Deleted member

How's 1.1.1 been treatin' ya?

That isn't a snide quip, I'm genuinely interested in your opinion on Luigi. That was a pretty intense nerf. Is he still doing well?
I think Luigi is still perfectly viable. In a way, I am glad he got nerfed so that he wasn't some sort of "easy win" button for players; now you have to actually put in effort and learn the character to succeed. And for that, battles with him are a lot more interesting than before.
His grab game isn't bad, it was just nerfed. You can't always rely on down throw now since it's useless during high percents.

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
Random thought: A college university could be a nice setting for a closed area horror game, really, like one of old school Resi Evil games.

Numerous buildings to sneak around in and hide. Dorm areas and the clinic for health spots and item pickups. Bosses at the university's football stadium, top floors of the tallest buildings, sanctums of the libraries, etc. Why haven't game devs considered this?
Gosh darn it, now I'm hyped for ResEvil Origins again.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Did somebody just compare Matsushi to Nairo?! @Matsushi Is officially the best female Robin main on the planet. Well done, ma'am. Sorry I missed the tourney.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
@Raziek took a game off Zero, but sadly lost in game 3.

That was some damn good play though by man.

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
God damn it I missed it while I was eating lunch. I guess I'll watch the vods later. Good job Raz taking a game off of Zero though.

Last edited:

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Raz is now battling Shofu.

Edit; Raz won 2-1

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hey, taking a game off ZeRo is more than most of us can claim.

We love you, Raz and Mat~ ^w^

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Neither of them were on stream sadly.

He's in another match and looking good so far, but I won't be watching the rest.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
@Raziek I heard you took a game from ZeRo and bested shofu. Nice Work! I don't think many of us can make that claim to fame. I know I sure as hell couldn't.

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Wait it wasn't streamed? That's a shame, I would have loved to watch Raziek play against ZeRo. Also Raziek beat Shofu? That's amazing. Let's hope for top 32.

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Apparently losing that one game to @Raziek caused ZeRo to lose a set to Seagull.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
inb4 zero makes a video about how rabin is top-tier and underrated

;3
"So many people have been wondering and asking me...is Robin top tier now?"

Also, Raz says he's going on stream against static manny now. Let's go!

Edit: Whoops, guess not anymore.

Last edited:

UmbreonMageBrando

The Quiet One
NNID
Megaman648
Nice job @Raziek! Taking a game off of ZeRo is an accomplishment in itself. I wish I could have seen the match between you and ZeRo, just imagining it puts me on the edge of my seat.

Top Bottom