• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Nice! I knew Raziek was the Robin that beat ZeRo in a game!

Edit: As a Fox main, I've been enjoying all the Fox matches that I've catched.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Took Zero got sent to losers by Seagull Joe, 2-0

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
Waiting for the Brackets to update/get updates from people there is pain ;;

Edit:
O-oh...

He still did amazing though!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
ZERO LOST...and I'm late to the party...but that's what you get for playing Shiek instead of Pit

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Waiting for the Brackets to update/get updates from people there is pain ;;

Edit:
O-oh...

He still did amazing though!
That's very, very respectable. He must of played out of his mind! Although he may not have had much stream time again, if there's a way to change people's mind about the strength of Robin, it's by showing it to ZeRo.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Good on ya, Raziek! Manny may have won, but you did everybody here a service.

I think ZeRo is going to revise his opinions on Robin and Sonic very soon...~ ;3

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I heard ZeRo got knocked into loser's. He's still in, so the real insanity has yet to come.

Good job to @Seagull Joe !
Watch it be like Final Battle all over again and he comes all the way through losers and wins the whole thing.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Watch it be like Final Battle all over again and he comes all the way through losers and wins the whole thing.
If he gets to Grand Finals, resets the bracket, and both him and his opponent fight all the way down to their last stock, that match will become the greatest match in Sm4sh's competitive history regardless of who wins.

And that is very likely to happen. ZeRo is very capable of adapting and optimizing his game; it's one of the main reasons why he has kept his streak alive for so long.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So, the recap:

Beat Zero's Sheik game 1, checkmate him twice. Lost the next 2 games to his Diddy.

Beat Shofu Fox 2-1.

Beat KingJames 's Dedede 2-1.

Lost to Static Manny 0-2, placing 33rd. I'm super proud of how I did.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So, the recap:

Beat Zero's Sheik game 1, checkmate him twice. Lost the next 2 games to his Diddy.

Beat Shofu Fox 2-1.

Nice job. How salty was Shofu? I thought said he was quitting Smash 4 AGAIN (again)?

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
So, the recap:

Beat Shofu Fox 2-1.

Congratulations Raz! Maybe you didn't get a spot in the top 32 but still is a really good run in TBH5, all with just solo Robin. You make us proud and give :4robinf: good representation.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
If Raz keeps it up, he may just find himself up in Top 32 one day with some of the other top players!

Excellent performance!

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
So, the recap:

Beat Shofu Fox 2-1.

As you should be and as we are all happy for you. It must have been great showing ZeRo of all people just how capable Robin really is. If only if that match was streamed. Keep it up!

Nameless Nothingness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
pinkpallin
3DS FC
3995-6837-1215
33rd? Wow, Raz, it's such a good result!
We tacticians are all proud of you.
I didn't watch the matches yet, 'cause I'm not a big fan of competitive Smash, but I already know you did good.
Well done, Raziek Raziek , Célja Célja and @Zareidriel , well done indeed. :)

Last edited:

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
Not to take anything away from Raz and everyone else who has done good against Zero but if you check him and his girlfriend's twitter, apparently since yesterday he has not been doing well. He keeps it vague but apparently there is something going on in his personal life that could be affecting his play.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not to take anything away from Raz and everyone else who has done good against Zero but if you check him and his girlfriend's twitter, apparently since yesterday he has not been doing well. He keeps it vague but apparently there is something going on in his personal life that could be affecting his play.
People are saying that his mom died

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
#Excuses #Thendon'tcompete #keepyourprivatelifeprivate

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
His GirlFriend did mentions something about his mom but didnt specifically say what. She just said that his mom was part of it.
More reasonable than his girl cheating on him with Leffen and Shadow Realms

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So, the recap:

Beat Shofu Fox 2-1.

I was checking Shofu's twitter, he said he'd lost to a good Robin who also took a game off Zero.
I was like "That's gotta be Raziek". :4robinm:
Fastforward 5 minutes later:
"#Yeah" :4robinf:

Gemneye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xdragonfireboix
That feeling when you realize you forgot to check RST after waking up. :happysheep: Congrats to everyone participating in BH5!

I feel like on these forums I never really post outside of socials, mostly because I feel like I don't know enough about the game to give my input. I think I'm going to try and suck less at smash.
Also I just looked at the pools. Raziek is facing off against ZeRo right off the bat (not sure if it will be streamed). Best of luck Raz, I'll always be cheering you on.
I'm in the same boat. I have no clue how to talk about the game competitively. I just literally play the game how I feel like it. I've tried the advice thread on here but it seems like most people stick to the social thread. I'd love to learn more advance techniques; even though I should be working on my fundamentals. I just can't find stuff like how to RAR's or stuff like auto canceling (which I think I randomly do when I do forward airs).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Condolences if that's true, but I wonder why he's competing if it's that much of a weight on his conscience.

I don't know how he does things, maybe Smash is how he takes his mind off of his personal matters, but - and I'm sorry if I sound ****** with this - it's still a competition. If it's going to affect his performance, he might want to reconsider participating until he has some time to think.

Even so, it's just a rumour. I don't know or want to know what goes on in his personal life. Even so, I know that I love Smash and want to see a good, clean competition, so I won't entertain ZeRo's issues until ZeRo is comfortable with talking about them to his fans.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
People just like to gossip their lives out, jeez.
He's still competing and i think people should stay away from his personal life.

Nah

Smash Champion
I leave the forum for like 6 hours and all this good **** happens like Raz taking a game off of ZeRo, this:

and someone finally winning a set against ZeRo

good stuff's always gotta happen when I'm not around

why the **** didn't they stream ZeRo vs Raz though

and now I guess we'll see if ZeRo will still win the tournament or if someone will actually beat him again

Okay, Nah Nah , here's the rundown of what I have to say~

First off, I don't think you're terrible. You have solid fundamentals for the most part and you seem to understand your characters to a respectable degree - enough to keep me on my toes, at least. It's a definite improvement from the first time we had a scrap. I can tell you're serious about getting better, and you demonstrated that well!
Are my fundamentals really that solid though? I never really thought they were.....

You don't seem to focus on the "big picture", you just take every step one at a time. It's good to keep track of what you're doing, but if you don't have a gameplan in the macro sense, you can very easily fall apart under pressure. You definitely had some good setups there and you strategised well for the most part, but when I weaved through your defenses, it wasn't that difficult to gain momentum.

You need to THINK ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU DO: why am I using this move? What do I hope to gain from it? Is it a good option to cover my opponent's options? What if it doesn't work, what's my backup plan? I think you had a pretty good idea of what to do in most situations we were in, but sometimes you seemed to panic and - to quote Raziek - you just hit buttons to try to keep me out. For a character who relies on micromanagement and organisational strategy to the extent that Robin does, that can be suicide, especially when faced with a punish-heavy character like Pit who will exploit every weakness you display.

I don't think you made good use of combos or followups. I know Robin isn't exactly the combo queen, but she has good setups (hell, she's made of setups) and followups, especially off of grab. Getting the grab is difficult, but the reward can be immense. I don't think I ever saw you use Checkmate or any real d-throw followups, which is a shame, because you punished me very well with grab when you got in.

Defensively, you need to mix it up. Very often I managed to just run in and dash attack you, which shouldn't be happening that much. You don't need to approach, per se, Robin's great at keeping folks out, but you need to have a Plan B in case somebody does get in. This ties back to what I said about considering the impact of your moves and keeping a strong contingency plan: if I can get in and put pressure on you, you're in a very difficult spot. That being said, when I tried to get in and you did evade and punish, you did it very effectively with grab, retreating f-air, d-smash and even a few Nosferatus - if you can optimise your ability to evade and punish your opponent's aggressive options, you can definitely mitigate one of Robin's biggest weaknesses.
....I've noticed a lot of this stuff about myself too. It's really easy for me to crack under pressure, and I can never seem to focus on the big picture or have a long-term strategy and back-up plans. I can't really think on my feet/think quickly.

But I don't know how to fix those things. =(

And yeah, sometimes I forget about Dthrow follow-ups and which ones you should do at what percents. Though I didn't bother trying Checkmate in our matches because I cannot for the life of me get it to work on anyone who's not a fastfaller.

Your tech skill needs improvement. This is definitely secondary to good fundamentals, but there's so much cool stuff Robin can do that you didn't, which may well have sealed a few of my stocks. You need to get better at catching tomes when they'e ejected, using the tomes as weapons effectively, switching between the Levin and Bronze swords and going for Elwind spikes. Just small things can make a big difference if you know how to use it at the right time!
Yeah I'm still trying to work on my tech skill. Though some inputs I find difficult to do....

In terms of tech, you did a few things very well. You switched between wind jab and fire jab at the right times depending on the situation (wind to frametrap and rack up damage, fire to get off-stage and kill), made very good use of your airs (the getup f-air was beautiful and you punished my descent options with u-air very nicely), got some very nice punishes with Nosferatu (seriously, work on that, you're so good at it) and made good use of Elwind in conjunction with the platforms on Battlefield to keep me out. Good stuff, but you can do so much more if you practice!
Am I really that good at that?

The final thing I want to say, and this is probably the most important: you seem to get frustrated and disenchanted when you get beaten. I know exactly how that feels. You put the effort in, you know you're good with this character, you know the theory and you've got everything planned out - and then it just falls apart. Your confidence dies and you don't even know what to do, you just switch off and hope you don't get beaten too badly. I felt this towards the end of our set, I couldn't focus and made stupid mistakes - I could see myself making the mistakes, but I couldn't think about how to fix them. Yet I persevered and pulled it back. I conceded that I was upset, but being upset wouldn't help me win or get better, so I told myself to keep playing and do my best. You said it yourself, the best way to improve is to get beaten and ask for advice: if you discover something from your defeat, then it isn't really a defeat, it's a small victory in a clever disguise.

You have the innate skill and the drive to be a great player, you're not a lost cause and you can be incredible if you set your mind to it, but you need to overcome this psychological side of it first. Competition is half physical effort and half solid mindset. You have the former, but I'm not sure about the latter. I hope that this feedback helps you get better in that sense, because I want to see what you can do and I know you've got it in you to do just that.
I don't really get frustrated and disenchanted simply for losing, it's more that I lost (a lot).....and didn't learn anything from it. That's really why I get like that. And....I know I said that the best way to improve is to get beaten and ask for advice and stuff, but I feel like despite the advice people give me (which I do appreciate) I'm unable to make the most of it, that I'm incapable of learning.

I don't know what to do really.

And, uh, I'd very much like to give you some advice as well, especially after you went through the trouble to type all that out, but besides the fact that I find it a little hard to give meaningful advice in general, I find it especially hard to do so when the other person won most of the matches, like with when I fought IAmMetaKnight IAmMetaKnight :c

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
That feeling when you realize you forgot to check RST after waking up. :happysheep: Congrats to everyone participating in BH5!

I'm in the same boat. I have no clue how to talk about the game competitively. I just literally play the game how I feel like it. I've tried the advice thread on here but it seems like most people stick to the social thread. I'd love to learn more advance techniques; even though I should be working on my fundamentals. I just can't find stuff like how to RAR's or stuff like auto canceling (which I think I randomly do when I do forward airs).
In regards to RAR and auto-canceling:

RAR = reverse aerial rush. Run in one direction, quickly turn the other direction, jump, than input an attack. This is most commonly used with a back air so that you can use a back air while originally facing your opponent. For Robin, another application is to use RAR bar after arcfire, which can score you a relatively early ko near the ledge if uair won't kill.

Auto-cancels, as the name sort of implies, occur automatically for certain aerials. But it's not random and/or may require a specific way of using an aerial. For Robin, bair, nair, and fair all auto-cancels out of a short-hop as long as you don't land INTO the ground with it. Doing a fair while rising out of a short hop, for example, will auto-cancel and that is probably what you were doing. Robin can also do falling uair with fairly minimal amounts of lag as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom