• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
While some say Awakening isn't like the other FE games at all, it did save the franchise from extinction, so we have that be thankful for. So something like character simplicity isn't that major of an issue in the grand scheme of things.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no really bad Fire Emblem game. Some are better than others, but all of them are a pretty good experience.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no really bad Fire Emblem game. Some are better than others, but all of them are a pretty good experience.
The issue is just that its a niche franchise which is hard for other people to get into. Fire Emblem is awesome and I love every game in the series I played, although some are REALLY hard to get through (Thracia 776 and Shadow Dragon).

Hong

The Strongest
I've accidentally overleveled Robin massively because I like using her too much, though. Oops.
Yeah, Robin can kind of break the game if you make him/her too strong.
Hard not to.

She has all the attack power of a Mage, with tanking ability akin to Mercenaries. If that doesn't sound good enough, it gets better: You only need to give her a speedy pairing early on and she can be doubling everyone. Since she gains 50% more EXP, it won't take long for her to gain those 5 Speed necessary to double everyone even without speedy pairing. Chapter 2 to 3, she is a modest nuker. Not to sturdy, but does the trick. Chapter 4 to 5, she is can carefully pick through the enemy lines. By Chapter 6 she will have already long snowballed out of control; an unstoppable juggernaut that will be shrugging off hits and blowing everyone to smithereens.
I actually read that the first time you posted it and I completely agree with you which is why I'm still being incredibly stubborn and not accepting the Chrom part of the leak, or the Shulk part or the Chorus men part. Chroms name was thrown in during the time when it was generally accepted that he would replace Ike as the heavy blue lord with a sword but since Ike is back it throws that part off completely. Since the leaker had access to E3 info he easily could have used it to give the other leak validity.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here but i refuse to believe that there will be three blue haired lords with swords representing Fire Emblem. I don't care if he's the face of Awakening since we already have the face of the general Fire Emblem franchise (Marth) and I need more reasons than he's on an outdated semi-correct leak and he's ONE of the main characters in Awakening which has so many more promising characters

I could be completely wrong and Sakurai doesn't give a **** but until i see his gorgeous face in the website i refuse to believe he's in.
Y-You read my posts? *~*

And yeah. I can understand why he would choose someone like Lucas even though we already had Ness, because not only was Lucas planned since Melee, but Brawl was all about quantity and little quality. It didn't make the redundancy okay with me, but I can understand where they were coming from.

But now? With Marth and Ike, an increased level of quality with the newcomer additions, and every design direction headed towards diversity, I am seriously straining myself with trying to fathom why they would ever want Chrom. So much that I feel he is more likely not to show up, even if I would never be so bold as to refute the prospect.
God i came here a few months ago to look for Peach alt costumes and Tharja movesets and I've become a militant Robin supporter. What have you people done to me...
The blood of Grima flows through you! You cannot challenge your own birthright!

In the end, whether Chrom shows up or not, I'll never say Robin supporters were wrong. Even if they can make Chrom into an original fighter, there were always better, more reasonable choices. I think the majority of people who have played a Fire Emblem game, and even a lot of the people who haven't can clearly see why there are better choices.
Are archers difficult to use in hard mode, or is it just me?
Generally I find the concept of Archers eludes international fans. I won't pretend they are hot stuff around Japanese fans either, but they've always had a spot on many rosters.

You really need to have a good sense of positioning to use bows well. For all intents and purposes, they are like a staff-wielder in that you don't want them exposed to the wrong kind of enemy at the end of your town, and you are not supposed to expect them to be taking enemy attacks. The whole thing is, the optimal strategies also mean about 80% of the classes are not supposed to be absorbing hits anyways, so as you get better at making sure the right kinds of units are absorbing the right kinds of attacks, Archers are not bad.

Generally their purpose is in delivering reliable, high physical damage. Now, in Awakening, everyone can get high hit rates pretty easily, whether it's because of forges or pairing. That said, Archers are better than ever. Not only are they great pairings for any physical fighter with strength and defensive bonuses, but if you leave them unpaired, they can use Double/Towering Bows while standing next to a friendly unit to allow them to attack with someone like a Hammer up to 4 cells away! They become even better when you get Gale Force on them, since not only does it let them fire and move away, but it also lets them swap with a paired unit to attack.

All in all, not a lot of newcomers or even intermediate Fire Emblem fans grasp Archers. Generally they are favoured by veterans of the series, or people who play with a greater emphasis on math and a lower emphasis on chance. The international community has been unhappy with them, but since the developer already considers them strong, it's hard to say if we'll ever something happen. A lot of people ask for 3 range to be baseline for bows, but I'll be surprised if that happens.

If I were to make a call for Intelligent Systems, I would make all physical weapons capable of indirect attacks use half the strength in their formulas if they are used at a range, except bows of course. IMO they simplify strategy too much and absolutely nullify the majority of enemy threats with ranged attacks.
The issue is just that its a niche franchise which is hard for other people to get into. Fire Emblem is awesome and I love every game in the series I played, although some are REALLY hard to get through (Thracia 776 and Shadow Dragon).
For all I love Thracia 776, I would never dare recommend it to anyone.

I would only wish Shadow Dragon on my enemies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is fairly unrelated to the current topic, but I killed Gaius and Tharja on my first playthrough. I had no idea that they could be recruited, so I was just like "Oh look, enemies! Gotta get that experience!"

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I know this is fairly unrelated to the current topic, but I killed Gaius and Tharja on my first playthrough. I had no idea that they could be recruited, so I was just like "Oh look, enemies! Gotta get that experience!"
I killed Gaius at first, and then I was like "Wait a second... His name isn't 'Thief!'" So being the genre savvy FE player I am, I reset.

Hong

The Strongest

Jokes aside, I'm glad they decreased the ambiguity of recruitment for Awakening. There were so many places you could go wrong with previous entries, and honestly it felt so needless.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hard not to.

She has all the attack power of a Mage, with tanking ability akin to Mercenaries. If that doesn't sound good enough, it gets better: You only need to give her a speedy pairing early on and she can be doubling everyone. Since she gains 50% more EXP, it won't take long for her to gain those 5 Speed necessary to double everyone even without speedy pairing. Chapter 2 to 3, she is a modest nuker. Not to sturdy, but does the trick. Chapter 4 to 5, she is can carefully pick through the enemy lines. By Chapter 6 she will have already long snowballed out of control; an unstoppable juggernaut that will be shrugging off hits and blowing everyone to smithereens.
Y-You read my posts? *~*

And yeah. I can understand why he would choose someone like Lucas even though we already had Ness, because not only was Lucas planned since Melee, but Brawl was all about quantity and little quality. It didn't make the redundancy okay with me, but I can understand where they were coming from.

But now? With Marth and Ike, an increased level of quality with the newcomer additions, and every design direction headed towards diversity, I am seriously straining myself with trying to fathom why they would ever want Chrom. So much that I feel he is more likely not to show up, even if I would never be so bold as to refute the prospect.The blood of Grima flows through you! You cannot challenge your own birthright!

In the end, whether Chrom shows up or not, I'll never say Robin supporters were wrong. Even if they can make Chrom into an original fighter, there were always better, more reasonable choices. I think the majority of people who have played a Fire Emblem game, and even a lot of the people who haven't can clearly see why there are better choices.
Generally I find the concept of Archers eludes international fans. I won't pretend they are hot stuff around Japanese fans either, but they've always had a spot on many rosters.

You really need to have a good sense of positioning to use bows well. For all intents and purposes, they are like a staff-wielder in that you don't want them exposed to the wrong kind of enemy at the end of your town, and you are not supposed to expect them to be taking enemy attacks. The whole thing is, the optimal strategies also mean about 80% of the classes are not supposed to be absorbing hits anyways, so as you get better at making sure the right kinds of units are absorbing the right kinds of attacks, Archers are not bad.

Generally their purpose is in delivering reliable, high physical damage. Now, in Awakening, everyone can get high hit rates pretty easily, whether it's because of forges or pairing. That said, Archers are better than ever. Not only are they great pairings for any physical fighter with strength and defensive bonuses, but if you leave them unpaired, they can use Double/Towering Bows while standing next to a friendly unit to allow them to attack with someone like a Hammer up to 4 cells away! They become even better when you get Gale Force on them, since not only does it let them fire and move away, but it also lets them swap with a paired unit to attack.

All in all, not a lot of newcomers or even intermediate Fire Emblem fans grasp Archers. Generally they are favoured by veterans of the series, or people who play with a greater emphasis on math and a lower emphasis on chance. The international community has been unhappy with them, but since the developer already considers them strong, it's hard to say if we'll ever something happen. A lot of people ask for 3 range to be baseline for bows, but I'll be surprised if that happens.

If I were to make a call for Intelligent Systems, I would make all physical weapons capable of indirect attacks use half the strength in their formulas if they are used at a range, except bows of course. IMO they simplify strategy too much and absolutely nullify the majority of enemy threats with ranged attacks.

I got stuck on Shadow Dragon because I tried to Arena Abuse and I just kept getting killed. I usually got Caeda WAY up, and then somehow a bad hit slayed my character (either Caeda, or someone after her). Then in Thracia 776, I couldn't get passed the chapter where you lose Eyvel. I always lost SOMEONE in that chapter no matter what I do.

Of course, this is several years ago when I played this games, and I ONLY dared to play them after I already beat 7, 8, 9, maybe 10, and 4. Maybe 6, too, I don't remember if I had Radiant Dawn yet by the time I tried Thracia or not, and I don't remember when I beat Binding Blade.

I was surprised actually, I found Geneology to be quite easy. Far easier than the average FE game. Then Thracia is like "nuuu, none of that easy ****, let's utterly DESTROY you!" and I never got past the fourth(?) chapter. :p

Jokes aside, I'm glad they decreased the ambiguity of recruitment for Awakening. There were so many places you could go wrong with previous entries, and honestly it felt so needless.
Isn't that Guy she's pointing at? Although technically Matthew recruits Guy, not Lyn... in fact Lyn doesn't even rejoin until two chapters later :p

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Tell me about it. I gave up on Shadow Dragon after I went into a chapter, saved midway, and discovered a recruitable enemy that I couldn't convert because I didn't have the right person to talk to him in my party. :facepalm:

I hate when games pull stuff like that, things that you'd have no idea about unless you read about it in a strategy guide beforehand and you can't easily reset the mistake either.

D

Deleted member

I remember spending about a week when I played Rekka no Ken trying to recruit Raven to my side. It was hard at first because there were a few characters that were tied to him, and I didn't realize initially that it was his sister that needed to do the talking, iirc. Not only that, but Raven's sister being a troubadour iirc would get torn apart, so I had to lure Raven into her range but not so that he could attack and kill her, and then I had to save both of them when I recruited Raven which I happened to do in front of a line of enemies. It took forever. I had the same issue when trying to deal with Jaffar as well.:glare:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I remember spending about a week when I played Rekka no Ken trying to recruit Raven to my side. It was hard at first because there were a few characters that were tied to him, and I didn't realize initially that it was his sister that needed to do the talking, iirc. Not only that, but Raven's sister being a troubadour iirc would get torn apart, so I had to lure Raven into her range but not so that he could attack and kill her, and then I had to save both of them when I recruited Raven which I happened to do in front of a line of enemies. It took forever. I had the same issue when trying to deal with Jaffar as well.:glare:
When playing that chapter within the past few weeks again, as soon as I saw Raven moving out I remembered "oh crap, I have to RUSH to get up there as fast as frickin' possible to get him!" That was so damn annoying. Jafar usually causes me trouble as well, I tend to try and get Nino as many levels as possible by killing enemies in that chapter, then once I get the Gaiden I let her solo almost the entire chapter (well, not "solo" persay, I just let her get most of the kills) to try and level her up and then promote her in the same chapter. I'm going to try it again on this playthrough (only two more chapters right now until I get there).

Hong

The Strongest
Path of Radiance :laugh:

**** Astrid.

You got to SHOVE DAT IKE and pray she can find sanctity after you talk to her. She cannot even survive a single turn if you don't talk to her right away.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

I love Archers. They're my favorites. Brides, Warriors and Assassins are fine too, but the pure Archer classes are my favorite.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I actually did not use any archers and surprisingly few mages until I wanted to do some testing this runthrough. Made Inigo a Sniper. Didn't regret it, especially since he had Galeforce from the beginning. Probably also helped that I paired him with Morgan, who was an absolute monster (albeit a really cute one) as usual.

Hong

The Strongest
If there is something that can be agreed on, it would be that canto has to come back.

Having mounted archers who can move after firing is such an excellent strategic tool that can compliment any army.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

**** Astrid.

You got to SHOVE DAT IKE and pray she can find sanctity after you talk to her. She cannot even survive a single turn if you don't talk to her right away.
I've had Astrid be able to survive a single turn... but its VERY rare. I still like Astrid, though, she's actually very useful if you level her up. In Radiant Dawn she's less useful, but is still quite good if you give her Blossom; she tends to cap all stats by 20-20-18 and she's got high caps, just with low Growths. She and Geoffrey are the only ones who can effectively use Blossom, but Geoffrey's lack of availability seriously hurts him.

Oh, I also like Astrid for being a mounted Bow user. Canto + Bow = EXTREMELY useful, naturally (as you brought up in your latest post :D).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I've had Astrid be able to survive a single turn... but its VERY rare. I still like Astrid, though, she's actually very useful if you level her up. In Radiant Dawn she's less useful, but is still quite good if you give her Blossom; she tends to cap all stats by 20-20-18 and she's got high caps, just with low Growths. She and Geoffrey are the only ones who can effectively use Blossom, but Geoffrey's lack of availability seriously hurts him.

Oh, I also like Astrid for being a mounted Bow user. Canto + Bow = EXTREMELY useful, naturally (as you brought up in your latest post :D).
It's the biggest reason Galeforce units in FE13 are pretty much the best ones.

Galeforce is honestly pretty broken. I'd prefer Canto to return. Even if I have to give up Galeforce Snipers... It's best for the game, I think.

Hong

The Strongest
To go back to the Thracia 776 discussion, I think a lot of Robin and Isaac supporters alike could get behind Leif if they knew about him. I would love if the Jugdral Saga was revised into one game. Given Awakening's level of presentation, abridged a bit, even the difficulty between the two and ship that... internationally.

He's a Fire Emblem character who can do all the same. Granted, like with Isaac, I would imagine him to be more physically-inclined than Robin, so you still have plenty of reason for wanting both as opposed to either.
It's the biggest reason Galeforce units in FE13 are pretty much the best ones.

Galeforce is honestly pretty broken. I'd prefer Canto to return. Even if I have to give up Galeforce Snipers... It's best for the game, I think.
I think skills should be revised. It was something that, once again, Tellius did best.

Not that Galeforce is inherently a bad idea, but you shouldn't be able to have Galeforce and a stock of other amazing skills. For reference sake, if characters had 25 Capacity for skills, Galeforce would be a 15 or 20, so you can't have it with anything else that's good. It makes for more meaningful decisions.

Similarly, I think some class-locked skills are okay. Canto is one, but I wouldn't be opposed to the thief skills being locked, as well as the return of inherent crit rates where appropriate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like Astrid and typically really like making use of those characters that start weak but have immense potential given attention. The only unit I've ever been able to think of that starts weak and just wouldn't become useful or strong at all was Meg from RD. Not only do you recruit her as a weak knight, but you also do it right before a Laguz Chapter of all things, so she just gets eaten alive if you're not careful, you have to do the classic strategy of weakening the enemies to kill range before bringing her in for the kill (and praying she didn't miss, all the Laguz would double her and even unshifted they would still do like 6 per hit) to get her experience as well, which is a pain. This is not to mention that she simply isn't useful because much better knight options exist with Brom and Tauroneo (given, they start as generals, but still). I remember I had to tank up front hard with Nolan and Aran and stay confined to the little square you start that fight in for the first 10 turns to have any chance of keeping her alive. I remember in my first playthrough the Dawn Brigade characters were pathetically under-leveled compared to the Greil Mercenary party and I brought almost none of them in for Endgame (the first time through Micaiah was basically useless for me in endgame).

The second time I played through I did much better with the Dawn Brigade units, Micaiah was actually pretty good and Aran and Nolan could straight-up eat enemy attacks for Breakfast. The third time I played through I finally managed to evenly level everybody and the Dawn Brigade units became quite useful.

I also remember in my first time with RD that I abused the "half-shift" too much for characters like Volug and Skrimir and they basically were useless later on.

My best characters though were Shinon, Boyd, Oscar, Soren, Aran, Haar, and Nephenee.

For whatever reason I was able to max out Shinon's defense and he just did not take damage from anything aside from the bosses when I played through endgame. :laugh:

On the topic of my favorite unit, it is hands down the Dark Mage line (which was the major reason I married Tharja in my first playthrough, although I feel the design of Awakening's Dark Mage/Sorcerer could've been better), followed by Swordmaster, Assassin, Sage, Sniper, and Hero. I really wish they would bring back the Summoner class from SS. Summoning the Meat Shield warriors was my favorite thing to do with Knoll (my favorite male character of FE).

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To go back to the Thracia 776 discussion, I think a lot of Robin and Isaac supporters alike could get behind Leif if they knew about him. I would love if the Jugdral Saga was revised into one game. Given Awakening's level of presentation, abridged a bit, even the difficulty between the two and ship that... internationally.

He's a Fire Emblem character who can do all the same. Granted, like with Isaac, I would imagine him to be more physically-inclined than Robin, so you still have plenty of reason for wanting both as opposed to either.
I think skills should be revised. It was something that, once again, Tellius did best.

Not that Galeforce is inherently a bad idea, but you shouldn't be able to have Galeforce and a stock of other amazing skills. For reference sake, if characters had 25 Capacity for skills, Galeforce would be a 15 or 20, so you can't have it with anything else that's good. It makes for more meaningful decisions.

Similarly, I think some class-locked skills are okay. Canto is one, but I wouldn't be opposed to the thief skills being locked, as well as the return of inherent crit rates where appropriate.
I like Leif far more for FE4 than FE5, I could never beat Thracia. But I am well aware of his central role in Thracia, and I fully agree, I think a remake of Jugdral merging the events of Geneology and Thracia would be epic. Although I think they'd probably have to rewrite the story slighlty and bring back most of the first generation cast (probably after the second generation has leveled significantly).

Another thing I see is Leif and Julia becoming essentially Lord characters. Julia probably wouldn't have the Lord class, but she'd still have a unique class and would get a gameover if she was killed, same with Leif (naturally he does have the Lord class in Thracia).

I like Astrid and typically really like making use of those characters that start weak but have immense potential given attention. The only unit I've ever been able to think of that starts weak and just wouldn't become useful or strong at all was Meg from RD. Not only do you recruit her as a weak knight, but you also do it right before a Laguz Chapter of all things, so she just gets eaten alive if you're not careful, you have to do the classic strategy of weakening the enemies to kill range before bringing her in for the kill (and praying she didn't miss, all the Laguz would double her and even unshifted they would still do like 6 per hit) to get her experience as well, which is a pain. This is not to mention that she simply isn't useful because much better knight options exist with Brom and Tauroneo (given, they start as generals, but still). I remember I had to tank up front hard with Nolan and Aran and stay confined to the little square you start that fight in for the first 10 turns to have any chance of keeping her alive. I remember in my first playthrough the Dawn Brigade characters were pathetically under-leveled compared to the Greil Mercenary party and I brought almost none of them in for Endgame (the first time through Micaiah was basically useless for me in endgame).

The second time I played through I did much better with the Dawn Brigade units, Micaiah was actually pretty good and Aran and Nolan could straight-up eat enemy attacks for Breakfast. The third time I played through I finally managed to evenly level everybody and the Dawn Brigade units became quite useful.

I also remember in my first time with RD that I abused the "half-shift" too much for characters like Volug and Skrimir and they basically were useless later on.

My best characters though were Shinon, Boyd, Oscar, Soren, Aran, Haar, and Nephenee.

For whatever reason I was able to max out Shinon's defense and he just did not take damage from anything aside from the bosses when I played through endgame. :laugh:

On the topic of my favorite unit, it is hands down the Dark Mage line (which was the major reason I married Tharja in my first playthrough, although I feel the design of Awakening's Dark Mage/Sorcerer could've been better), followed by Swordmaster, Assassin, Sage, Sniper, and Hero. I really wish they would bring back the Summoner class from SS. Summoning the Meat Shield warriors was my favorite thing to do with Knoll (my favorite male character of FE).
One time I was EXTREMELY close to getting a great Fiona, I had to boss abuse her in the indoors chapter and have her kill as many enemy units as I possibly could throughout that entire chapter. I managed to get her promoted in the Dawn Brigade chapters, but I still ended up using Astrid in the end because Fiona was still too weak. She was extremely useful to use before the Endgame, though, and I did use her in the final pre-Endgame chapters, but I had to promote her early (at 20-8) so she was underpowered and not suited for the Tower of Guidance.

D

Deleted member

One time I was EXTREMELY close to getting a great Fiona, I had to boss abuse her in the indoors chapter and have her kill as many enemy units as I possibly could throughout that entire chapter. I managed to get her promoted in the Dawn Brigade chapters, but I still ended up using Astrid in the end because Fiona was still too weak. She was extremely useful to use before the Endgame, though, and I did use her in the final pre-Endgame chapters, but I had to promote her early (at 20-8) so she was underpowered and not suited for the Tower of Guidance.
That reminded me of the Priest Exploitation I used to do, since some of the staves would actually heal the user. So I remember during one of the later chapters during the first section with the Dawn Brigade I had Leonardo and Edward or Nolan down away from the bossfight just abusing a poor priest who had a Mend staff or something and just couldn't fight back. That was actually how I managed to turn Leonardo into a Sniper before the parties switched, iirc. :laugh:

Also I add Geoff and Titania to my list of best characters, those two and Oscar all became tanks on horseback for me.

Hong

The Strongest
Hm... favourite unit? That is a good topic of conversation.

Mine would be the Cleric.

Low cost. Low upkeep. Low consequence. Difference between a level 1 and level 20 is noticeable, but largely inconsequential; by the time you start to reach higher levels, Mends and other staves are overly abundant, at a point where Heal and the coveted Psychic are just fine. Not to mention, any Mages you have will be Sages by then, so it's unlikely you'll need to field low levels needlessly. You can pull a Cleric in for a chapter and never touch her again after that, and the only one losing EXP are other healers. If you like one enough, you have the option of making them an attacker for the mid/late game, be it Bishop, War Cleric, or any variation.

Of course, I value Troubadours where they are present, since they largely function as a more mobile version of the same thing. Honourable mention goes to Dancers/Bards/Herons, who are both the strongest and weakest unit in the game depending on how you use them.

Least favourite would be Myrmidons. They are gamblers; their statistical strength are based on chance. With how I play Fire Emblem, any attack on my units with more than 20% chance of hitting is assumed a hit, and anything less than 90% on my own attack is assumed a miss. I don't have to reset often, and I enjoy the game more as a result. Since I like healers, it's only natural I also like units that are designed to take damage instead of avoid it.

I've still used my fair share of Myrmidons, mostly depending on whether or not my front-lines are proven lacking and I'll take whatever I can get.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Zihark was a boss in my PoR playthrough. Then again I had a strong frontline with Ike, Boyd, Oscar, Nephenee and Lethe. Well, that and the RNG was quite merciful with me when it came to dodging deadly attacks.

Though my memories of PoR are quite patchy tbh. I believe I also used Soren, Rolf, Mist, Jill, Volke, Sothe (because I knew I would get him in RD), Reyson and Tibarn a lot. On the other characters I just couldn't remember.

Last edited:

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
(Goes out today on a quest to find and purchase any fire emblem I can get my hands on, in order to expand my pathetically small collection. After Many hours of driving, finds and scours a total of 6 stores selling used and new video games. Finally stumbles across a find: Shadow Dragon. Immediately purchases the game, and continues searching for others, then returns home otherwise fruitless. Gets on forums to express my excitement for the find I did make.)

:c Have I failed myself?

P.s., I actually did find out about a second game. Gamestop informed me that another of their stores had Radiant Dawn in stock, for only 65 dollars! And I'd only have to drive five hours to reach it! :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Zihark was a boss in my PoR playthrough. Then again I had a strong frontline with Ike, Boyd, Oscar, Nephenee and Lethe. Well, that and the RNG was quite merciful with me when it came to dodging deadly attacks.

Though my memories of PoR are quite patchy tbh. I believe I also used Sothe, Jill, Volke, Sothe (because I knew I would get him in RD), Reyson and Tibarn a lot. On the other characters I just couldn't remember.
Tibarn is the most broken unit I've ever had the fortune of using, he doubled everything with an insane amount of damage (Tear activation helped). To be honest I feel like the Hawks in PoR and RD are by far the best class overall, statistically speaking. With the Dragon tribe as an honorable mention due to their ridiculous HP and damage potential.

Hong

The Strongest

Though my memories of PoR are quite patchy tbh. I believe I also used Soren, Rolf, Mist, Jill, Volke, Sothe (because I knew I would get him in RD), Reyson and Tibarn a lot. On the other characters I just couldn't remember.
I avoid having too many front-line fighters. Melee units have limited area in which they can function around other melee units, and when you need to move a bunch of units from point A to B, melee units are more likely forced to take less efficient movements because other melee units are standing on the ideal tile.

That said, Zihark is a great choice. Especially if you intend on playing Radiant Dawn after. I myself use Mia most of the time.
(Goes out today on a quest to find and purchase any fire emblem I can get my hands on, in order to expand my pathetically small collection. After Many hours of driving, finds and scours a total of 6 stores selling used and new video games. Finally stumbles across a find: Shadow Dragon. Immediately purchases the game, and continues searching for others, then returns home otherwise fruitless. Gets on forums to express my excitement for the find I did make.)

:c Have I failed myself?

P.s., I actually did find out about a second game. Gamestop informed me that another of their stores had Radiant Dawn in stock, for only 65 dollars! And I'd only have to drive five hours to reach it! :awesome:
If you get past the presentation (how it looks and how it sounds), Shadow Dragon isn't that bad.

Also, since they gave Sacred Stones to ambassadors, I'll assume they will let everyone else download it eventually.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

**** Astrid.

Astrid was always pretty easy for me to get, actually. And she was a beast when I got to use her in the following chapters (gotta thank BEXP for that).

Come to think of it, a lot of the characters in PoR were really damn good if you put some effort into using them. Well, except for Brom, Sothe, or Makalov.

Hong

The Strongest
Astrid was always pretty easy for me to get, actually. And she was a beast when I got to use her in the following chapters (gotta thank BEXP for that).

Come to think of it, a lot of the characters in PoR were really damn good if you put some effort into using them. Well, except for Brom, Sothe, or Makalov.
Well, I played Maniac on the Japanese version, so mathematically she has a slim chance of surviving unless you get to her on the first turn.

I'm also a huge Astrid fan. I like her personality and looks, though the latter may just be because I'm a narcissist and she looks like a pale-skinned me down to the dopey, drowsy expression.

As a unit, can't go wrong. She is OP in Path of Radiance, and "fair" in Radiant Dawn.

Last edited:

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
I guess mages are my favorite kind of unit.

The FE games helps me in this choice too, giving us awesome choices of magic users (Soren, Merric, Linina, Nino, Laurent and Artur (who is a monk but basically a light tome wielder mage ).

But for gameplay, mages tend to start strong, and quickly earning levels and by the point they start doubling opponents, its basically a easy kill. They also are units that battle 1 or 2 squares of range, and can counter the same way. They also normally evolve into classes that wield staves, to greatly increases they usability.

Of course their defenses are very bad, bu they will normally avoid most of the moves too. This is why I think myrmydons and archers get some credit here, since their consistent damage and high hit normally means the end of a underlooked mage. Still, I believe its more pros than cons.

To get only one, I think I will let nostalgia win this one and get Artur. (Sorry Soren).
I mean, look at that critical animation!

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I guess mages are my favorite kind of unit.

The FE games helps me in this choice too, giving us awesome choices of magic users (Soren, Merric, Linina, Nino, Laurent and Artur (who is a monk but basically a light tome wielder mage ).

But for gameplay, mages tend to start strong, and quickly earning levels and by the point they start doubling opponents, its basically a easy kill. They also are units that battle 1 or 2 squares of range, and can counter the same way. They also normally evolve into classes that wield staves, to greatly increases they usability.

Of course their defenses are very bad, bu they will normally avoid most of the moves too. This is why I think myrmydons and archers get some credit here, since their consistent damage and high hit normally means the end of a underlooked mage. Still, I believe its more pros than cons.

To get only one, I think I will let nostalgia win this one and get Artur. (Sorry Soren).
I mean, look at that critical animation!
It's funny cause the sprite's not Autur.

Hong

The Strongest
For people who want a stance changing Robin:

One way that it could work is the sword stance could utilize the Levin Sword, and naturally be more powerful than the magic stance, but the Levin Sword uses up energy. It would recharge over time, and recharge even faster whenever you deal damage while in the magic stance. Of course, they could go the other way; where the magic stance is stronger, but draws from a limited resource.

Just throwing this out there, of course! Never a shortage of ways to make Robin a 100% original playable character. :)

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
It's funny cause the sprite's not Autur.
I wasn't able to find a gif of my red haired demon criting, so I let Lucius do the job.

For people who want a stance changing Robin:

One way that it could work is the sword stance could utilize the Levin Sword, and naturally be more powerful than the magic stance, but the Levin Sword uses up energy. It would recharge over time, and recharge even faster whenever you deal damage while in the magic stance. Of course, they could go the other way; where the magic stance is stronger, but draws from a limited resource.

Just throwing this out there, of course! Never a shortage of ways to make Robin a 100% original playable character. :)
When Robin movesets comes up that suggest swords, I always imagined a Levin Sword, and all movements having thundering effects. I think sword would comes in play just to get enemies away on in position where you want then to be. Also, multi hits to rack up %, with low knockback.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
When Robin movesets comes up that suggest swords, I always imagined a Levin Sword, and all movements having thundering effects. I think sword would comes in play just to get enemies away on in position where you want then to be. Also, multi hits to rack up %, with low knockback.
But wouldn't a skilled tactician know that only carrying weapons that deal magic damage could put them in a bind against enemies with high resistance?

Hong

The Strongest
But wouldn't a skilled tactician know that only carrying weapons that deal magic damage could put them in a bind against enemies with high resistance?
Won't have a hard time with Marth and Ike.:troll:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, but closer analysis on Robin's competition (Marth, Ike, and maybe Chrom) would reveal that they all suffer from having terrible resistance.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
I think that's when strategy comes in play, and you need your warmates to help you dealing with enemies you can't.
After all, you cannot win a war with only one person. :b:

Except that in some FE, you can.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Looks like another poll is making the rounds, and would you look at who is once again a lot more wanted than a lot of non-Fire Emblem fans give him/her credit for?

...I know, small sample size so far and all, but it's still a big deal that a turnout of mostly people who aren't as invested as us still have Robin in the top 10 and higher than any other FE character.
*glances at poll before kicking Chrom off and putting Robin in his place*

Much better.:smirk:

Hong

The Strongest
Before I post this, I just want to remind everyone that I am not anti-Chrom. I love the guy. That said, we post about him here, because there is no dodging around the fact he is consequential to Robin's inclusion. It has been a goal to consult with Intelligent Systems with successive entries for character ideas, and there is a minute possibility we'll ever have more than three Fire Emblem characters unless they have some VERY good ideas for what to do with them.

A lot of people mention how he is too similar to Marth and Ike, but it goes deeper than that. There are four characters indicative of why Chrom is a horrible idea.

1 & 2) Marth and Ike themselves. But it's not so much the fact they are blue-haired swordsman from Fire Emblem, but rather what has/will happen with the characters in Smash 4. The idea of Chrom being "between the two" is invalidated. Marth (in the demo build) is a slower character, and if Ike follows suit with every other slow character in Smash Bros, he'll become faster. The middle-ground will become too narrow to merit another fighter.

Statistical variation of course in no way defines a character entirely, since someone can move as fast as someone else but still play very differently, but it's worth mentioning none-the-less.

3) Shulk
I can't say I care about this character, but there is a reasonable chance he will show up. The power of Monado and arts of course offer a plethora of gameplay potential. So while one could say "How is he anything like Chrom?", I would say "What can't he do that Chrom can?" What, Aether? Ike has that. That's all Chrom really has, and even the animation in game just uses generic animations. No super powers of any sort. Not only that, Shulk broadens out franchise representation, while Chrom only dilutes it.

4) Mii Fighter
Yes, the Swordfighter is aesthetically very different from Chrom, and the Mii Fighters borrow plenty of moves from other characters. That said, there is no doubt that this little warrior will wiggle its way into whatever gameplay niche left. Being a sword user alone does not make a character similar, but at some point the reservoir of possibilities starts to run dry.

Again, while I do not doubt the leaker had legitimate information at some point, there is a high chance we won't see Chrom at all. This scarcely helps Robin's chances, since not only is Anna and a few others a good contender, but there is a chance Marth and Ike may be it. Whether it's Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Anna, Ephraim or really just about anyone, I remain hopeful for more Fire Emblem representation.

If you love a character other than Chrom, don't lose hope.
If you love Chrom, don't lose hope.

:)

Top Bottom