• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Yes, that's correct. I would say that Robin is the true main character of Awakening, so in that sense Robin is the obvious choice. Though there's also things like marketing that IS may consider. Of course, I've already talked at length about how Chrom, despite being the face of Awakening, is not the best choice to advertise Awakening, and how being the "face" may not mean much at all, so perhaps you are right.

...Dang it, you're starting to make too hopeful for Robin...
I don't want to make you hopeful for Robin, but less assuming of Chrom. It's not about Robin for me, so much as trying to present things nigh-objectively.

I don't even think he is the sole face of Awakening. Looking at the press kit, not a single image has Chrom alone besides the individual character arts. He always either shares half the real estate with Lucina, or half the real estate with Robin. Given that the box art tries to present the greatest variety of characters, the literal face value is diminished.
I'm not gonna take any shots, but...it certainly seems like most of the Fire Emblem fans want someone other than Chrom now, doesn't it?
Yep.
I still find it hilarious that the Gematsu leak thread got locked.
I am supposed to remain impartial, but I think it is for the better. For a topic of its size, a lot of warnings, infractions, and soured moods. In a more reasonable world, it would be an excellent place for debate and healthy community discussion. It just didn't work out.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wait, it did? Why?
It was closed because people kept talking about Lucas not coming back, then it strayed off and talked about OTHER characters they thought would/wouldn't come back and it was only supposed to be discussing just the Gematsu leak characters.

Yes, that's correct. I would say that Robin is the true main character of Awakening, so in that sense Robin is the obvious choice. Though there's also things like marketing that IS may consider. Of course, I've already talked at length about how Chrom, despite being the face of Awakening, is not the best choice to advertise Awakening, and how being the "face" may not mean much at all, so perhaps you are right.

...Dang it, you're starting to make too hopeful for Robin...
Yeah, Robin is really the face of Awakening and the one everything revolves around.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I really want Robin to get in over Chrom. Instead of another swordsman Fire Emblem Rep, he/her can be different, using magic attacks.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I am sure that Robin would still be a swordsman Fire Emblem representative; however, you are indeed correct, she has the capacity to use magic. WITCH!
It all depends. Robin can use a sword, but I'm thinking Sakurai might just give Robin only a few sword attacks and make the rest magic. We'll see.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
So I thought of something about the Gematsu "leak." What if Sal Romano got legitimate information for the first leak, bull****ted the second leak for website visits, and then got legitimate info at E3 2014 again, but threw Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Man into the third leak too in order to keep his credibility.
*Shrugs* I dunno, it made sense to me.

Hong

The Strongest
So I thought of something about the Gematsu "leak." What if Sal Romano got legitimate information for the first leak, bull****ted the second leak for website visits, and then got legitimate info at E3 2014 again, but threw Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Man into the third leak too in order to keep his credibility.
One of the dozen reasons why I think that, even if there was a leak, the information is faulty.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, given the credibility the leak has overall, it seems unlikely. The second part of the leak did get the Pokemon from X and Y right, after all, and the presence of the Chorus Men is implied by the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run. However, it is within the realm of possibility that some extra information was added on for a little more substance. I would say it's pretty unlikely, but it's impossible to deny the existence of that possibility.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Well, given the credibility the leak has overall, it seems unlikely. The second part of the leak did get the Pokemon from X and Y right, after all, and the presence of the Chorus Men is implied by the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run. However, it is within the realm of possibility that some extra information was added on for a little more substance. I would say it's pretty unlikely, but it's impossible to deny the existence of that possibility.
I've never considered it to have gotten Pokemon from X and Y. Everyone with any cursory knowledge of Smash Bros. would have known an X and Y Pokemon was going to make it in, even if it were just Mega-Lucario. And Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run =/= Chorus Men. I know, "But every enemy in Smash Run has a playable character to go with it!" ...As far as we know so far. The fact is, most of Nintendo's bigger franchises have playable characters, so most Nintendo enemies come from franchises with playable characters. The same way most stages in Brawl, but not all, had playable characters.

Hong

The Strongest
However, it is within the realm of possibility that some extra information was added on for a little more substance. I would say it's pretty unlikely, but it's impossible to deny the existence of that possibility.
Why do people leak information? Why do people make fake leaks? We get loads of them all the time.

The first question even more so that they wanted to remain anonymous. Are they a Gematsu user who wanted to help the site grow by giving them more traffic? Or are they just like any liar and just enjoy lying? Is Sal just playing with puppets and trying to cover his hide by pretending he got this information from someone else? I would never be so bold to accuse him of lying, so I'll rule that out for now due to personal reasons. Even if the leaker had genuine information, they still have plenty of non-reasonable reasons for bloating their information.

Given the first and third leaks are the only one with any reason to believe it is genuine information (Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighter), and both happened within a short window of this information becoming public, I have no reason to believe this third party has any knowledge of the development process. They don't have an objective reason to spoof it with more information, sure. Yet no one has a reason to lie to begin with but "leakers" do it all the time anyway.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Not gonna lie, but on the topic of conspiracy theories I thought Sakurai or someone working on the game made the Palutena "leak" to create a lot more discussion on the game... then we got the "pseudo-Palutena" trophy, followed up with E3 to raise hype/discussion.

Spreading rumors of a character that people partially predict and largely want in the game makes it pretty easy to get people talking about the game.

EDIT: We also got the first look at her stage the day after the "leak".

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Hong makes a very good point about Chrom (and the other potential FE reps) that I've never thought about in that we're not necessarily guaranteed a new FE rep. It is actually kinda odd that almost everyone just sort of assumes that Fire Emblem will automatically get a new rep just because when pretty much every other potential character has or has had a significant amount of people who doubted their chances including popular/obvious picks like Mewtwo, Little Mac, Palutena and Mii. I've haven't really considered us not getting a new FE character. Why did Chrom, even before Gematsu started being considered gospel by so many, avoid any sort of doubt to his inclusion?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hong makes a very good point about Chrom (and the other potential FE reps) that I've never thought about in that we're not necessarily guaranteed a new FE rep. It is actually kinda odd that almost everyone just sort of assumes that Fire Emblem will automatically get a new rep just because when pretty much every other potential character has or has had a significant amount of people who doubted their chances including popular/obvious picks like Mewtwo, Little Mac, Palutena and Mii. I've haven't really considered us not getting a new FE character. Why did Chrom, even before Gematsu started being considered gospel by so many, avoid any sort of doubt to his inclusion?
Because people loved Roy so much and they were burned that he got replaced by Ike, so naturally assumed the same fate would happen to Ike.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
More that Awakening has been such a massive success that most people expected a character from Awakening to be in from the start, and assumed Ike would get cut for Chrom. It was only when Ike was revealed to be returning that things got complicated.

And it still makes me wonder if Ike took the spot Chrom originally had. Could the original roster have had Chrom and Robin both, and the former was shown the door to give Fire Emblem wider representation via a fan favorite "lord" character who would get an updated appearance?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
More that Awakening has been such a massive success that most people expected a character from Awakening to be in from the start, and assumed Ike would get cut for Chrom. It was only when Ike was revealed to be returning that things got complicated.

And it still makes me wonder if Ike took the spot Chrom originally had. Could the original roster have had Chrom and Robin both, and the former was shown the door to give Fire Emblem wider representation via a fan favorite "lord" character who would get an updated appearance?
I kinda doubt it. I think Sakurai purposely asked IS who to add last time so he wouldn't have any reason to remove the character from the prior game. No, I think he never had any intention of removing Ike at all. If anything, he considered Chrom early on, but decided Chrom wouldn't bring anything new to the table and chose someone else. Sakurai said he hates cuts; I don't think he ever intended cutting Ike at all.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

The assumption of Ike getting the boot in favor of Chrom is based off of Roy not getting in Brawl , meaning that Ike replaced him. People thought that because Melee and Brawl featured only two Fire Emblem reps, this was to be some kind of tradition that was going to be followed.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Yeah i really don't think they intended to cut Ike. In fact i think Marth and Ike compliment each other really well and they actually represent more than just the "Sword using main characters", they represent many perks of the classes and characters of FE, like how some classes are more precise and disciplined (like myrmidons, mages and pegasus knights) and some are more destructive and wild (barbarians, sorcerers, wyvern riders), like royalty and commonery, discipline and recklesness, wich are elements present in every FE.
So yeah most of the Chrom replacing Ike logic came from Smash fans that probably don't care much for FE or have only played Awakening, wich is not a bad thing by any means, but it's still a rather ignorant deduction.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, every Smash so far has introduced the main Lord of the most recent game. Since Awakening was released recently and was such a success, it seemed obvious that Chrom would be a newcomer, perhaps replacing Ike in the process like how Ike replaced Roy. We kind of assumed that an Awakening character (Chrom) is a given. Personally, I think an Awakening character is much more likely than not, though there does exist the possibility that we just don't get one.

IronFish

Smash Ace
You also spend more time interacting with Robin since he/she has support convos with everyone.
Now that I think about it all I really knew about Chrom is Frederick has an obsessive relationship with him, and he likes pie, and doesn't lock any doors when he is taking a bath.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Now that I think about it all I really knew about him is Frederick has an obsessive relationship with him, and he likes pie, and doesn't lock any doors when he is taking a bath.
Well he's also the fondest of starting fires.

EDIT: Oh wait, sorry. Thought you were talking about Frederick for a second. Well I'm leaving my comment 'cause you can never have enough of that pic.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
It all depends. Robin can use a sword, but I'm thinking Sakurai might just give Robin only a few sword attacks and make the rest magic. We'll see.
Oh damn guyz he predicted Miis, Pacman, AND Palutena! Leaks real guyz, that's all there is to it now.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
While the heavy analysis between Chrom and Robin is well done, I have a simpler approach on the matter.

Chrom would be like Lucas. A new character yes, but with a moveset very similar to that of his fellow franchises representatives.

Robin could potentially be the Mr. Game and Watch/Pac-Man of Fire Emblem, encompassing everything from his/her series by incorporating numerous moves and attacks. And unlike G&W/Pac-Man who just borrow concepts from others, Robin is actually capable of doing just about everything that makes up FE's repertoire, so it'd make even more sense for him/her to have such a diverse moveset.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
While the heavy analysis between Chrom and Robin is well done, I have a simpler approach on the matter.

Chrom would be like Lucas. A new character yes, but with a moveset very similar to that of his fellow franchises representatives.

Robin could potentially be the Mr. Game and Watch/Pac-Man of Fire Emblem, encompassing everything from his/her series by incorporating numerous moves and attacks. And unlike G&W/Pac-Man who just borrow concepts from others, Robin is actually capable of doing just about everything that makes up FE's repertoire, so it'd make even more sense for him/her to have such a diverse moveset.
Interesting comparison. To be honest, I've always thought of the situation with Chrom and Robin to be like that of Dixie Kong and King K. Rool. I'd say Chrom is like Dixie Kong in that they're both characters that are thought to be very likely for one reason or another, yet are similar to characters already present from their own series. Meanwhile, I would say Robin is similar to K. Rool, as both are viewed as unlikely due to some reason (relevancy/recognizability), yet have a vast amount of unique potential and are a fair bit more popular than their primary competition.

Does that seem like a fair comparison?

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest

As I discussed in my analysis of the swordsmen, that is the gist of it.

It is possible that Chrom can be the Wolf to Marth's Fox. Though this is less likely since Marth and Ike will be closer in speed, the addition of Mii Swordfighter and likely Shulk, combined with the increased level of quality, but still a possibility.

Edit - Level 20 Robin before Ch6. ~.~

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, every Smash so far has introduced the main Lord of the most recent game. Since Awakening was released recently and was such a success, it seemed obvious that Chrom would be a newcomer, perhaps replacing Ike in the process like how Ike replaced Roy. We kind of assumed that an Awakening character (Chrom) is a given. Personally, I think an Awakening character is much more likely than not, though there does exist the possibility that we just don't get one.
And it does help that Awakening brought new life to the series by ultimately saving the Fire Emblem franchise (everyone might not agree that it's the best FE title, but you can't deny what it has done for the series as a whole). Wouldn't hurt to include a character from a game that was the best 3DS game for a good while (still is one of the best).

While Chrom is the main Lord of the most recent title, I'll actually say that just won't cut it alone this time around. Not too many people have played the older Fire Emblem titles, so putting in the main Lord of older titles would be the safe bet. They'd instantly be the most recognizable and would show people who are unfamiliar with the series who the main figures of Fire Emblem's history are. Unlike the others, a good deal of people are familiar with Awakening - both long-time fans and newcomers. With that said, people are more familiar with the cast of Awakening, so I'd argue that pool for potential characters has opened up. Even within Awakening Chrom doesn't stand out that much (Robin and Lucina anyone?).

TL;DR - This is the prime time for something different. Especially given what we've seen so far with the direction Smash is heading in.

Edit - Level 20 Robin before Ch6. ~.~
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It be like that...all the time.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556

This is pretty much why I'm personally still hesitant to hold out hope for a FE newcomer that isn't Chrom. While the newcomers this time around have been heavily focused around being unique and bringing genuinely different playstyles to the table, we can't say for sure yet that this trend excludes the continued practice of adding popular characters as semi-clones. We all know the story of how Melee got six clones late in development over the potential inclusion of one more unique character; it goes to show the relative ease with which the pool of newcomers can be padded to satisfy the requests for a popular character. And, you know, Toon Link still being a thing that exists.

Reservations aside though, everyone has brought up some excellent, well thought-out points as to why Gematsu could be outdated at this point (or otherwise fabricated) in favor of a FE rep other than Chrom. I want to believe. ;_;

Though on the bright side, if Chrom does get in as a boring semi-clone he still makes great eye candy~

Hokori

Great King of Evil
This is pretty much why I'm personally still hesitant to hold out hope for a FE newcomer that isn't Chrom. While the newcomers this time around have been heavily focused around being unique and bringing genuinely different playstyles to the table, we can't say for sure yet that this trend excludes the continued practice of adding popular characters as semi-clones. We all know the story of how Melee got six clones late in development over the potential inclusion of one more unique character; it goes to show the relative ease with which the pool of newcomers can be padded to satisfy the requests for a popular character. And, you know, Toon Link still being a thing that exists.

Reservations aside though, everyone has brought up some excellent, well thought-out points as to why Gematsu could be outdated at this point (or otherwise fabricated) in favor of a FE rep other than Chrom. I want to believe. ;_;

Though on the bright side, if Chrom does get in as a boring semi-clone he still makes great eye candy~
Regarding Toon Link, my opinion still remains unchanged that his inclusion in the game was seen as necessary due to how big he is in the LoZ franchise. He represents another timeline entirely while many of the previous semi-clones were definitely not needed. And since no other semi-clones have been revealed, room for speculation remains.

Edit - On a sidenote, Owain is included in the RTC thread for today. Noticing a few "double 0s" :laugh:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You all assume Chrom would be a blue-haired swordsmen...

What if Chrom joins the fight bare-handed and replaces Ganondorf?:troll:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
You all assume Chrom would be a blue-haired swordsmen...

What if Chrom joins the fight bare-handed and replaces Ganondorf?:troll:
If Chrom is like that and he has a taunt that teases sword usage as well...

Cause of Death: Excessive laughter

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Chrom Punch and Chrom Kick just don't have the same impact.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Chrom Punch and Chrom Kick just don't have the same impact.
Speaking of names for attacks...I honestly think that Owain's names for his moveset would be the best of all time. Even Jab 1, Jab 2, etc would all have different names that would make them sound like they were special attacks.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
To make up for Chrom replacing Ganondorf, he'd also have some dark magic attacks.

Wait...

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Chrom Final Smash idea:

Google Chrom: Pulls up an Exalted web browser to show the opposition how important, relevant and unique he is.

Effect: Freezes game :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Exalt Punch sounds weird, shouldn't that be like ExaltING punch?
Exalt punch makes it sound like it is the punch of an Exalt, which it would be coming from Chrom.

Exalting punch makes it sound like it does something to the effect of making the target exalted or something, which would be weird because Chrom is supposed to be the Exalt.

I mean, C. Falcon's punch isn't FalconING punch and Ganondorf's isn't WarlockING punch. :ohwell:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well to be fair Falconing and Warlocking would be using Nouns in an odd context while Exalt and Exalting are verbs related to an action. When I was typing it I thought Exalt Punch sounded funny when I tired to say it outloud, hends the joke of trying to make it sound more fluid even if it made no sense.

Top Bottom