• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

D

Deleted member

I think that's when strategy comes in play, and you need your warmates to help you dealing with enemies you can't.
After all, you cannot win a war with only one person. :b:

Except that in some FE, you can.
*cough*

*cough*

Last edited by a moderator:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Hong makes some very good points. I knew Marth got reworked to be more of a ground fighter, but I hadn't heard they made him a little slower. I'd be surpised if Ike didn't get his speed buffed to be only below average, since his RD appearance is a lot more capable of swinging Ragnell around and his speed was never bad in either game.

I hadn't considered our newest swordsman and likely new swordsman. Shulk has the Monado and a long list of techniques to pull moves from, and it looks like the Mii Swordfighter uses mainly fencing techniques, from what I can tell. But then what does that leave Chrom? Rightful King? Taking most of his moveset from his secondary classes? The latter would be a huge reach, to the point where they'd be throwing out important parts of who he is just for the sake of keeping him in. It'd be like the uproar over how Ganondorf was still a Falcon half-clone in Brawl.

Maybe we should ask the Shulk thread if they've had any visions lately. >_>

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Before I post this, I just want to remind everyone that I am not anti-Chrom. I love the guy. That said, we post about him here, because there is no dodging around the fact he is consequential to Robin's inclusion. It has been a goal to consult with Intelligent Systems with successive entries for character ideas, and there is a minute possibility we'll ever have more than three Fire Emblem characters unless they have some VERY good ideas for what to do with them.

A lot of people mention how he is too similar to Marth and Ike, but it goes deeper than that. There are four characters indicative of why Chrom is a horrible idea.

1 & 2) Marth and Ike themselves. But it's not so much the fact they are blue-haired swordsman from Fire Emblem, but rather what has/will happen with the characters in Smash 4. The idea of Chrom being "between the two" is invalidated. Marth (in the demo build) is a slower character, and if Ike follows suit with every other slow character in Smash Bros, he'll become faster. The middle-ground will become too narrow to merit another fighter.

Statistical variation of course in no way defines a character entirely, since someone can move as fast as someone else but still play very differently, but it's worth mentioning none-the-less.

3) Shulk
I can't say I care about this character, but there is a reasonable chance he will show up. The power of Monado and arts of course offer a plethora of gameplay potential. So while one could say "How is he anything like Chrom?", I would say "What can't he do that Chrom can?" What, Aether? Ike has that. That's all Chrom really has, and even the animation in game just uses generic animations. No super powers of any sort. Not only that, Shulk broadens out franchise representation, while Chrom only dilutes it.

4) Mii Fighter
Yes, the Swordfighter is aesthetically very different from Chrom, and the Mii Fighters borrow plenty of moves from other characters. That said, there is no doubt that this little warrior will wiggle its way into whatever gameplay niche left. Being a sword user alone does not make a character similar, but at some point the reservoir of possibilities starts to run dry.

Again, while I do not doubt the leaker had legitimate information at some point, there is a high chance we won't see Chrom at all. This scarcely helps Robin's chances, since not only is Anna and a few others a good contender, but there is a chance Marth and Ike may be it. Whether it's Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Anna, Ephraim or really just about anyone, I remain hopeful for more Fire Emblem representation.

If you love a character other than Chrom, don't lose hope.
If you love Chrom, don't lose hope.

:)
That's a rather interesting analysis you've put together. I'm impressed. While the leak did say Chrom is in, it would seem that evidence we've seen from the actual game itself would suggest otherwise. Though it may be with considering the possibility of Chrom using some kind of gimmick to differentiate himself from the other characters, such as using a spear or utilizing some kind of HP draining trick. However, whether or not such a gimmick would be implemented is questionable.

So, I suppose I feel a little bit more hopeful for Robin. I can't say that I expect Robin to be in, but perhaps he/she has just a little more of a chance than I previously thought.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
But then what does that leave Chrom? Rightful King? Taking most of his moveset from his secondary classes?
Chrom could serve as a support unit in the background (like how Pokemon Trainer would run around while his Pokemon were fighting) while Robin is fighting. He sure as hell made for some great support while I was praying to the RNG Gods trying to farm for EXP in Lunatic/Lunatic+ :awesome:

But I do agree with Hong's points. At this point, you can't rule out anything or anyone, no matter how small the possibility is, there is a chance. A leak having legitimacy does not make it final. After thinking it over for awhile, I'm at a point where I see that it will either be just Marth and Ike or Marth, Ike and a Non-Chrom toss-up. And I don't think it's unheard of for FE to already have all of its characters revealed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I hadn't considered our newest swordsman and likely new swordsman. Shulk has the Monado and a long list of techniques to pull moves from, and it looks like the Mii Swordfighter uses mainly fencing techniques, from what I can tell. But then what does that leave Chrom? Rightful King? Taking most of his moveset from his secondary classes? The latter would be a huge reach, to the point where they'd be throwing out important parts of who he is just for the sake of keeping him in. It'd be like the uproar over how Ganondorf was still a Falcon half-clone in Brawl.

Maybe we should ask the Shulk thread if they've had any visions lately. >_>
I agree. Really, the only way I think Chrom could be a unique character is if he utilized some of his lesser-known abilities for a move set. But... I don't know, that seems desperate, in a way. It's like they had to have him in, but they couldn't make anything interesting out of his most important abilities, so they turned to random, minor ones. Now granted, they've done that before with characters like Zelda and Ness, so it's not impossible for them to do something like that. Though at the same time, if they were to start using anything Chrom is capable,of for a move set, I'd have to wonder why Ike doesn't do something like wield an axe, which could help him distinguish himself more from Marth. He doesn't, though. I don't see why Chrom would.

D

Deleted member

I agree. Really, the only way I think Chrom could be a unique character is if he utilized some of his lesser-known abilities for a move set. But... I don't know, that seems desperate, in a way. It's like they had to have him in, but they couldn't make anything interesting out of his most important abilities, so they turned to random, minor ones. Now granted, they've done that before with characters like Zelda and Ness, so it's not impossible for them to do something like that. Though at the same time, if they were to start using anything Chrom is capable,of for a move set, I'd have to wonder why Ike doesn't do something like wield an axe, which could help him distinguish himself more from Marth. He doesn't, though. I don't see why Chrom would.
And that's the major issue with Chrom, they threw him Aether, but that's Ike's signature move, he has a legendary sword Falchion, but that's Marth's sword (given Chrom's is visually different, but still). As @ Hong Hong said, there's not much room left for him to "fill the gap" that exists between Marth's and Ike's weights and playstyles. And as you said, there really isn't that much Chrom could be given in terms of canon abilities for his moveset, certainly Ness and Zelda have minor abilities incorporated in theirs, but those things are unique attacks/spells. Meanwhile Chrom is sitting with stuff like Rightful King and Dual Strike+, which don't really do much of anything with regards to acting as his own character. Unless he pulls things from his other class attributes or classes he will really just be incredibly bland I fear (and as @ False Sense False Sense said, Ike doesn't use Axes in his Brawl Moveset, so this trend doesn't exist in Smash thus far). I don't know about you guys but I don't want to see a third FE rep that has Counter as his D-B, I really want something unique (which is offered by Robin, Ephraim, Micaiah, Anna and possibly Hector to name a few) and Chrom doesn't really have that much to draw from in order to accomplish this, imo.

Apologies in advance for the Chrom tangent in the Robin thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
That's another thing. I don't know why they'd try to force a moveset for Chrom out of desperation when there are plenty of other viable characters in many different classes that could get a shot that would do a better job at representing the diversity of FE and wouldn't seem nearly as desperate. And for reasons like those, I see the chance for other characters rising.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
All these points made by Hokori and False Sense are EXACTLY why I don't want Chrom in this game. He doesn't bring anything new and as far as I'm concerned, if he gets in they basically have to shoehorn abilities into him because they "had to have Chrom." That's why I'm really thinking Sakurai might not have picked Chrom at this point.

The problem with Chrom is... IS designed him with the best of past FE Lords to try and make him likable. Which basically means he has nothing new to bring to the table.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All these points made by Hokori and False Sense are EXACTLY why I don't want Chrom in this game. He doesn't bring anything new and as far as I'm concerned, if he gets in they basically have to shoehorn abilities into him because they "had to have Chrom." That's why I'm really thinking Sakurai might not have picked Chrom at this point.

The problem with Chrom is... IS designed him with the best of past FE Lords to try and make him likable. Which basically means he has nothing new to bring to the table.
Here's hoping Sakurai's desire to have "more unique characters" translates to him picking someone other than Chrom for Smash 4 as the 3rd FE rep (if one happens).

Hong

The Strongest
*cough*

*cough*

So, I suppose I feel a little bit more hopeful for Robin. I can't say that I expect Robin to be in, but perhaps he/she has just a little more of a chance than I previously thought.
More than anything, I am not an opponent of Chrom or champion of Robin... but I am a proponent for speculation. I would appreciate if you, everyone in this thread, and everyone in other active character threads, remain hopeful.

The Gematsu leak, were it true, would be like if you were a kid and months before Christmas, your parents gave you a list of things you'll be getting on Christmas morning. Some of it is nice, some of it is "eh". While you are not so self-entitled or ungrateful to be disappointed with what you'll be given, because you love your parents, you'd rather they spent their hard-earned coin on getting you things you'd actually be happy with.

You know?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Apologies in advance for the Chrom tangent in the Robin thread.
To be fair, talking about why we find Chrom to be an uninteresting choice is the same as talking about why we support Robin, isn't it? Don't most of us support Robin because we think the more obvious choice for an Awakening character to be dull, so we turn to the slightly less obvious yet still totally viable choice for a character that could offer so much more?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Not to mention, throwing in things from Chrom's other/lesser classes would better suit Robin imo considering the fact that he/she's an avatar character that can go into any class. It would present a more natural feel that way. Not like Ike and company are stuck in Swordmaster classes and only able to use swords. They have access to other weapons, but they weren't implemented into their arsenal for Smash Bros., and I don't think that they should all of a sudden do anything differently for Chrom as special treatment - which leads us back to the point of Chrom not bringing anything new to the table.

And it's not like Chrom is winning by a landslide in popularity polls to the point that they would/should get desperate to make him something that he's not essentially...

Hong

The Strongest
Most of the people who vote for Chrom have played 0-1 Fire Emblem games and don't even know who he is IMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think a lot of Fire Emblem fans wanted him at first, but Ike Aethered his parade.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not to mention, throwing in things from Chrom's other/lesser classes would better suit Robin imo considering the fact that he/she's an avatar character that can go into any class. It would present a more natural feel that way. Not like Ike and company are stuck in Swordmaster classes and only able to use swords. They have access to other weapons, but they weren't implemented into their arsenal for Smash Bros., and I don't think that they should all of a sudden do anything differently for Chrom as special treatment - which leads us back to the point of Chrom not bringing anything new to the table.

And it's not like Chrom is winning by a landslide in popularity polls to the point that they would/should get desperate to make him something that he's not essentially...
Personally, I think it's fine for Robin to use weapons or skills from different classes, since the ability to change into any class and use any weapon or skill is actually a notable part of what makes Robin Robin. That sheer diversity is one of Robin's defining traits, so I think it makes more sense for Robin than it does for Chrom, who's re-classing options are remarkably limited.

IronFish

Smash Ace
The way I see it, is Sakurai has two pathes for a FE rep, the long curvy path that takes a lot of effort to go down but a lot of people want him to take it, and the stupidly short path hidden by a few bushes that's the better path in the longrun. I hope he picked the short path.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Personally I'd like Robin's specials to incorporate any weapon, but Robin's standard moves to be just magic and whacking enemies with a tome. :D

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Most of the people who vote for Chrom have played 0-1 Fire Emblem games and don't even know who he is IMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think a lot of Fire Emblem fans wanted him at first, but Ike Aethered his parade.
Actually, about Ike and Aether... One of the things that stood out to me about Ike's reveal was how Sakurai reassured us that Ike's signature Aether ability was back. Isn't that a bit odd? I mean, that's Chrom's signature ability as well. I'd be shocked if it wasn't incorporated into Chrom's move set if he was playable. So why would Sakurai go out of his way to draw attention to an ability that was likely going to be implemented on another character as well?

Maybe it's just me over analyzing things, but I find that to be a rather odd thing for Sakurai to do if Chrom is playable.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually, about Ike and Aether... One of the things that stood out to me about Ike's reveal was how Sakurai reassured us that Ike's signature Aether ability was back. Isn't that a bit odd? I mean, that's Chrom's signature ability as well. I'd be shocked if it wasn't incorporated into Chrom's move set if he was playable. So why would Sakurai go out of his way to draw attention to an ability that was likely going to be implemented on another character as well?

Maybe it's just me over analyzing things, but I find that to be a rather odd thing for Sakurai to do if Chrom is playable.
See, this EXACTLY. I pointed this out right away as soon as Ike was announced. I was like "wait a second... why does he need to assure us that Ike still uses Aether?" That's directed right at Chrom as far as I'm concerned. Just like when I read comments about Sakurai saying size has no bearing in Smash, my thoughts immediately shifted: "That's directed right at Ridley."

That said, keep in mind it doesn't mean Robin would be in instead of Chrom. Granted, I think Robin is the best non-Chrom choice without digging into past games.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, I noticed that to, most people Google FE13 and see Chrom pop up first, and support the mark of the exalt of him.
Would that be the brand of the exalt on Chrom himself, or the one on his swimming trunks?

Hong

The Strongest
Did Roy and Ike have flocks of people who haven't even played their game supporting them?

Mathematically, before Ike was even announced only a few hundred thousand people had played Ike's game. But Intelligent Systems loved him, and like with Roy they got what they asked for.

By all accounts, I figure Intelligent Systems would spit out "Lucina" at the first chance. If we get someone else, it's because Mr. Sakurai negotiated the need for somebody else. It's not like they don't like Robin, either,

Hokori

Great King of Evil

And what screams "clone!" more than the possibility of Chrom using and yelling out "Aether!"? :troll:

Jokes aside, it does make me think about some things...the leak is how old? And Ike was confirmed when? Maybe it's just extreme speculation, but Sakurai specifically assured us that Ike's signature ability was back as you mentioned...perhaps he could have indirectly hinted at the closure of the Chrom vs Robin (or any other FE newcomer for that matter) debate.

So I'm in the same boat as you...I mean Aether has been brought up more than once already (pics included).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Did Roy and Ike have flocks of people who haven't even played their game supporting them?

Mathematically, before Ike was even announced only a few hundred thousand people had played Ike's game. But Intelligent Systems loved him, and like with Roy they got what they asked for.

By all accounts, I figure Intelligent Systems would spit out "Lucina" at the first chance. If we get someone else, it's because Mr. Sakurai negotiated the need for somebody else. It's not like they don't like Robin, either,
Well, most Roy support comes from people who played Melee, so...

Anyway, I would think IS would suggest Chrom as the obvious first choice, but I think Robin and Lucina could have been suggested if Chrom wasn't found to be satisfactory. And personally, I feel like if Sakurai could choose between the three, he would have chosen Robin for the all the creative possibilities he/she offered as a potential fighter, much like a number of previous newcomers.

Also, why did you have to bring Kermit back? Just as I was starting to forget about him...

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
@ Hong Hong "You're looking a little green"

You = Avatar
little, green = Kermit

I knew my Kermit inspired tactician costume for Robin would be confirmed eventually :awesome:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, Chrom is one of the main characters of Awakening, and is the most recognizable and popular one as well. He makes a lot of sense as a character choice. The issues with his inclusion are issues that may not be that apparent to IS.

I assume that you asking me why I think this to be the case means that you think otherwise?

Hong

The Strongest
Well, Chrom is one of the main characters of Awakening, and is the most recognizable and popular one as well. He makes a lot of sense as a character choice. The issues with his inclusion are issues that may not be that apparent to IS.

I assume that you asking me why I think this to be the case means that you think otherwise?
I don't think he is obvious.

Robin is the first character you see, the first character you spend time with, and even after you finally see Chrom (intro sequence aside), it's through the eyes of Robin.

D

Deleted member

Robin is the first character you see, the first character you spend time with, and even after you finally see Chrom (intro sequence aside), it's through the eyes of Robin.
You also Kill Chrom from Robin's Perspective. :awesome:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
You also spend more time interacting with Robin since he/she has support convos with everyone.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Yes, that's correct. I would say that Robin is the true main character of Awakening, so in that sense Robin is the obvious choice. Though there's also things like marketing that IS may consider. Of course, I've already talked at length about how Chrom, despite being the face of Awakening, is not the best choice to advertise Awakening, and how being the "face" may not mean much at all, so perhaps you are right.

...Dang it, you're starting to make too hopeful for Robin...

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Suddenly fast thread is suddenly fast. o_O

Jokes aside, it does make me think about some things...the leak is how old? And Ike was confirmed when? Maybe it's just extreme speculation, but Sakurai specifically assured us that Ike's signature ability was back as you mentioned...perhaps he could have indirectly hinted at the closure of the Chrom vs Robin (or any other FE newcomer for that matter) debate.
And that's the thing. Based on all the information we have and speculation we've done, Sal's source hasn't gained any new info since before Ike was revealed.

Exactly. Up until mid-May, I was expecting Marth-Chrom and hoping for Marth-Chrom-Robin. Ike was a Vanguard-sized curveball.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not gonna take any shots, but...it certainly seems like most of the Fire Emblem fans want someone other than Chrom now, doesn't it?

The way I see it, is Sakurai has two pathes for a FE rep, the long curvy path that takes a lot of effort to go down but a lot of people want him to take it, and the stupidly short path hidden by a few bushes that's the better path in the longrun. I hope he picked the short path.
Let us hope he has a keen eye...and maybe a Mushroom to cut across the grass. >_>

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267

More than anything, I am not an opponent of Chrom or champion of Robin... but I am a proponent for speculation. I would appreciate if you, everyone in this thread, and everyone in other active character threads, remain hopeful.

The Gematsu leak, were it true, would be like if you were a kid and months before Christmas, your parents gave you a list of things you'll be getting on Christmas morning. Some of it is nice, some of it is "eh". While you are not so self-entitled or ungrateful to be disappointed with what you'll be given, because you love your parents, you'd rather they spent their hard-earned coin on getting you things you'd actually be happy with.

You know?
I still find it hilarious that the Gematsu leak thread got locked.

Top Bottom